CD Player install in my dad's PV
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

CD Player install in my dad's PV

Hello all, well my dad wanted to put a CD player in his PV so we started installing one the other day. Everything went in fine but we're a little confused of the wiring. Now I know the yellow gets hooked up to a constant 12 volt supply and the black is the ground, but as far as the illumination and antenna wires I'm not sure. I'd like the CD player to turn on only when the car is turned on, not turn on when the car is off/on. Does anyone have any input on this?? Thanks in advance and here's a couple pics.

The car looks great. If that would of been me, I'd would of mounted the CD player behind the glovebox door so it wasn't such a distraction from the original dash look.
      Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****, what a ride!"

Global Moderator
      Quote Originally Posted by chillidawg View Post
      ...but we're a little confused of the wiring. Now I know the yellow gets hooked up to a constant 12 volt supply and the black is the ground, but as far as the illumination and antenna wires I'm not sure. I'd like the CD player to turn on only when the car is turned on, not turn on when the car is off/on...
      Has the PV been converted to ALL SYSTEMS 12 volts?

Does the CD player have a dedicated in-face power button?

"...constant 12 volt supply..." If this yellow wire is the power for the CD player it should be extended to the fuse terminal (on the fused side) that gets power only with the key "ON".

"...black is ground..." Don't ground to a bracket/brace/mount/etc. Use a sheet metal screw in an existing or new hole in an under-dash body panel. Be sure the black wire has a round-hole connector to fit under the screw - not a "U" connector.

" the illumination (wire)..." This should splice into a wire that is controlled by the dimmer knob (for dash lights) when the headlights are "ON".

"and antenna wires wires..." Does the car have an outside power-raised antenna?

Is the CD player also a radio? FM?

George Dill
      Last edited by gdill2; 03-02-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Thanks for the info George. As for the antenna, it's not powered but now that I think about it there's an antenna cable that can plug in to the back of the radio. I'm also sure there's a power button on the radio but I'd still like the radio to turn on only when the car is on, like newer cars. There's a certain wire on the harness that you hook up to a wire in the dash of most cars that tells the radio to turn on when the ignition or accessory is on. Any thoughts of connecting that wire in to the ignition? And yes the radio is an AM/FM CD player with iPod controls.
      01 V70 T5M, 18" Pegs, Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires, BC Racing coilovers, Snabb turbo pipe, EST intake, IPD intake manifold spacer, Pioneer Navi, Hertz Audio speakers, JL audio XD400/4 and XD600/1, two RE Audio 8" subs
      1998 Saffron V70R (Sold)
      2002 S60 T5M (Sold)

Global Moderator
      Quote Originally Posted by chillidawg View Post
      ...There's a certain wire on the harness that you hook up to a wire in the dash of most cars that tells the radio to turn on when the ignition or accessory is on. Any thoughts of connecting that wire in to the ignition? ...
      Short of the actual item, rig up a two-wire 12v test light (any single-filament tail light bulb will work) then ground one wire (the one connected to the base/body of the bulb) and (using the wire connected to the center contact on the bulb) with the ignition key "OFF" test each fuse block terminal (on the fused side). If any terminal lights the bulb don't connect the radio power wire to it. With the ignition key in the "ACC" position test the fuse terminals again. Note which terminal lights the the bulb. Repeat with key in "ON" position. Connect the radio power wire to the fused side of the terminal that lights the bulb in both "ACC" and "ON" positions.

George Dill
      Last edited by gdill2; 03-02-2012 at 10:22 AM.