2010 S80 AC Bad Smell
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

2010 S80 AC Bad Smell

Hey guys, I've never posted in this forum before but I pay attention to the R and S60 forums a lot.

Our 2010 S80 3.2 has a very bad odor when you turn on the AC, any ideas as what may be the culprit?

Thanks

I don't specifically know what it is but I've always been told that bad smells could be mold or mildew in the system.

Cabin air filter?
      1996 850 GLT sdn (deceased @ 250k), 2002 V70 XC 120k (traded), 2009 S80 3.2 52k
      2010 VW Croutan 3.8 SE 29k
      1998 Chevrolet K1500 85k(only cause Volvo doesn't make pick ups)
      1965 Pontiac Lemans convertable (the sled)
      2013 Ford Police Interceptor Utility (not that horrible)

Had the same problem with my 2010 S80 and was told it was the blower/evaporator in the A/C that was disengaged for some reason. The dealer turned it back on and the smell went away. I guess if this is turned off and you are using your car in warmer climates the condensation in the evaporator will just sit there when you turn your car off and then start to smell. When you turn your A/C on you will get a funky smell. Talk to the dealer and ask them about this. Worked for me!!

2010 S80 AC Bad Smell

You need the afterblow function turned on via a vida software download. It's defaulted to off from the factory. Some models/years its on at the factory.

If during the last driving cycle, the ac was on for more then approx 5 mins, afterblow will turn on approximately 40 minutes after the ignition was turned off. It turns on the interior fan on high for approx 10 min to dry out any residual moisture in the ducts to prevent mold from ever forming. It's the first function I had turned on under the warranty.

As far as the smell: bring the car to the dealer if you are under warranty. They have methods to clean out the system. Then be sure to ask to have "afterblow" activated. Nothing new, Volvo has had the feature avail for a while now. Works great to prevent the smell in the first place.

2010 S80 V8 Savile Grey/Beige Ventilated Executive Sport Chassis (Lowered at the factory ) Nav Dynaudio Technology BLIS Volvo mud flaps Factory fridge for the Crystal
      2004 S80 2.5T AWD Auto Ice White/Off Black 17 inch Interceptors Premium Climate Touring HU-801 w/ Dynaudio

Quote Originally Posted by t6tim View Post
      You need the afterblow function turned on via a vida software download. It's defaulted to off from the factory. Some models/years its on at the factory.
      I did this with VIDA/DICE on my R but it seems both my newer S80 and XC70 do not actually have afterblow capability available (I can't find it in VIDA/DICE when hooked up to them)...?
      2002 Volvo S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust - 2:05 at BIR long course || 2006 Volvo S60R 6M Sonic Blue (RIP - saved my life) - 2:03.5 at BIR long course - 2:00 at BIR short course - Road Trip Pics - My HD Trackday Videos - Loud enough for ya? || 2007 Volvo S80 V8 (his), Barents Blue, 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 Volvo XC70 T6 (hers), Oyster Grey, 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar

2010 S80 AC Bad Smell

Yep, it's hit and miss with the models that can have it turned on via vida/dice without a software download. I turned it on in my R as well.

The 07+ S80's need a software download to have it activated. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but that's the way it is. There is definitely an area in vida that will tell you if the function has been "installed" or not, but software is definitely needed on our cars.

2010 S80 V8 Savile Grey/Beige Ventilated Executive Sport Chassis (Lowered at the factory ) Nav Dynaudio Technology BLIS Volvo mud flaps Factory fridge for the Crystal
      2004 S80 2.5T AWD Auto Ice White/Off Black 17 inch Interceptors Premium Climate Touring HU-801 w/ Dynaudio

A good way to handle this funky AC smell is to run the blower full blast and spray some foot odor spray into the fresh air intake for the cabin outside of the car. Just an old trick.
      2008 Volvo S80 V8 | Ember Black | All Options and Packages | Mods | 242,000 Miles
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 | Willow Green | 240,000 Miles
      1998 Volvo V70R Dolby, Rear Wing
      2004 Audi S4 Cabriolet
      1992 SVX LS-L

2010 S80 AC Bad Smell

Quote Originally Posted by itwontstopsnowin View Post
      A good way to handle this funky AC smell is to run the blower full blast and spray some foot odor spray into the fresh air intake for the cabin outside of the car. Just an old trick.
      Or jam a few of these puppies in there for a more long term answer...

Actually, the foot funk spray isn't a bad idea.

Original poster: Is your car under warranty? If so, drop that sucker off.

I lemon law'd a car for mold in the ac ducts. It was a Mitsubishi Diamanté vr-x. (Yes, I know, but the vr-x trim looked pretty sweet!) Boy, you wanna talk about sh!tty build quality. Holy moly...

In fact, that was the last car we've owned that wasn't a Volvo.

Anyway, after a few months, the car started smelling funky. Dealer acknowledged the issue each of the 5 times it went in. They did frigi fresh over and over again, but the root issue couldn't be fixed; that the condensation in the ducts wasn't drying out due to poor venting.

Both my kids have chronic asthma. They weren't able to ride in that car anymore.

Volvo has gone to great lengths to ensure their interiors provide extremely "clean" environments. Not just for the ductwork, but ALL of the interior components, including the dash material! Add the IAQS option and the air quality is amazing. I call my daughter the "sensor". Her coughing can literally stop when she gets in the car. Volvo interiors (along with proper meds obviously) have given her tremendous relief from her symptoms.

Get afterblow activated so the ducts are dried out property. Makes a big difference.
      Last edited by t6tim; 05-03-2013 at 11:09 AM.

After years of tolerating the smell from the AC, the dealer suggested activating the afterblow which they told me is turned off at the factory because of complaints of it running batteries down. If the voltage is low, however, it will not come on. In any event, it made a HUGE difference in my case and I live in Phoenix where the AC is on a lot and contrarty to what you hear, in the summer, it is not a dry heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan1235 View Post
      Hey guys, I've never posted in this forum before but I pay attention to the R and S60 forums a lot.

Our 2010 S80 3.2 has a very bad odor when you turn on the AC, any ideas as what may be the culprit?

Thanks
      Check the drain before you spend any money on anything else. The AC drain in S80 has a peculiar check valve that can stuck and do not allow water out. Cut a part of it out, and I predict with a probability of 99% that your problem is solved.
      2008 S80 3.2; 2005 XC90 V8 AWD; 2003 S60 2.4T

My '01 S60 has the afterblow feature from the factory.
      But my '09 S80 does not, and it had some oder when I bought it in Jan.
      I have used one can of the de-odorizer sold specifically for A/C systems.
      2-3 applications of spraying it directly into the intake areas at the corners of the windshield.
      It works in my humid environment.
      Cabin filter was changed by dealer before 37K miles.
      S'V'13

Does anybody know if the afterblow is a parameter that can be changed with VIDA, or is a software download necessary? I'd like to activate it in mine if it's just a simple settings change in VIDA.
      2008 Volvo S80 V8 | Ember Black | All Options and Packages | Mods | 242,000 Miles
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 | Willow Green | 240,000 Miles
      1998 Volvo V70R Dolby, Rear Wing
      2004 Audi S4 Cabriolet
      1992 SVX LS-L