2001 S80 2.9; Need Transmission Fluid Today!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

2001 S80 2.9; Need Transmission Fluid Today!

Hello, I've been a lurker, but decided to post today.

I have a 2001 S80, 121,000 miles. I had an independent shop rebuild the transmission at 115,000 miles, and the transmission is still under a parts and labor warranty. Unfortunately, that shop is 83 miles away.

This morning the Transmission Service Required light came on, and I found the fluid was low when the car was running and the transmission was in Park.

I'm going to go to the shop tomorrow morning, but I need to find some fluid today for the 83 mile drive. It is impossible to find the exact Volvo 1161540-8 gearbox oil at the local auto parts store, but this thread

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...40-vs-M1-3309)

suggests that Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF will work.

Does anyone think it wouldn't? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That thread is about Aisin Warner transmissions (as found in the 5 cylinder Volvo cars).

your car has a different transmission than that; your car has the 4 speed GM transmission. Which takes Dexron III or VI ATF.
      http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/...0_09.htm#pg124
      note the "don't mix with other oils" warning on the ATF.
      Last edited by ss60; 03-06-2012 at 09:11 PM.
      iPD tune / Bilstein HD / iPD 25mm sways / Heico dual exhaust / sport body kit / Heico Volutions / HID Projectors / VST strut brace / Heico Aluminum pedals & pins / EU power folding mirror kit / Boston Acoustics drivers & external amp / iMIV / Volvotech CFE / etc.