SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

What s40 awd coilovers go lower

36K views 160 replies 23 participants last post by  onezero 
#1 ·
buddy is looking for his t5 awd and cannot decide between the evolve and kw v1 coilovers. Which set goes lower? Evolve claims their coils go 10mm lower which isn't that significant but after purchasing their "lowering" springs and being completely dissapointed with the drop they gave, we want to make sure before blowing $1500+ on a set of coils.

any opinions? right now it's on elevate springs that have 2 coils cut off front and rear.

we need it to go lower than this.

See less See more
#49 ·
Well after i put a call into KW the other day, the coilovers finally shipped and will be delivered on Monday. Time to roll and pull the fenders :)

On another note, when doing some maintenance today, the owner of the s40 found a nice crack in the intake manifold--explains why the car has never really pulled how it should. Elevate short runner+tuner=problem solved in a few days.

I can't wait to feel how this thing runs when it's able to hold more than like 4 psi!

#50 ·
well, the coils finally came in and went on the car last night. I'm getting quite good at doing these installs now. The front only took about 45 minutes or so and the rear only took 25 minutes. Not too shabby :)

We installed the fronts with no helpers and rears with no perches. We still need to trim the end link tab on the fronts so we can spin the collars down another .75'' or so. I'm hoping the rear settles a little more otherwise we'll be cutting a coil off.

Will get some better pics this weekend.

#52 ·
You have to wait for an email so you can dl the tune from their server. Once you get it, you'll get the tune. Have fun with elevate. I'm glad I don't ever have to deal with him again

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

#53 ·
The rears are the hardest to drop on these cars, I'm rolling no perch all spring in the rear on my H&R's and still barely tuck tire. With 19's could be another story.

#55 ·
If it doesn't settle much we'll be cutting some **** out of the rears to get it lower. The car will be on 18s with stretch so it's gonna need to be pretty low.

There really slow with their stuff, it took a whole extra week for me to get my tune after I already had my tuner. But be patient and soon enough you'll be getting an email from them saying its ready!! (best feeling ever)
Yeah we emailed them and they finally got back to us. We paid for 2 day air shipping so i think it's bs to have only half the product at the time it's delivered. As of yesterday they hadn't even begun setting up his tune. They asked for all his info again ie: mods, octane, etc. so it's like they never even received his initial order.

#57 ·
+1

#58 ·
so we hadn't heard anything from Elevate since late last week, as expected. plugged in the tuner last night and it downloaded the tune like it should have done 2 weeks ago. Loaded it and took the car for a rip. I'm very surprised how well it feels now. It may actually walk my gti from a roll!
Overall, the tune was worth the wait and the owner is happy, which is most important. Elevate really needs to work on their customer service and managing their customers expectations if they want to return customers. I'm looking forward to getting the cracked pos intake manifold off the car and installing the Elevate unit. Hopefully there will be a good difference since it should be able to actually hold boost instead of just spike and leak out.

#61 ·
Elevate has actually come leaps and bounds from when they were Evolve if you can believe that, he actually seems much more involved. Well on c30world anyway.

#65 ·
The drop looks good! Let's see those better pics now :)

I'm sorry if this has already been addressed: I know those are VW wheels, but why keep the VW center caps?

#66 ·
weather has been spotty this week and i forgot to take my camera over the weekend. I'll see if I can grab a crappy iPhone pic tonight since i don't have my canon on me. The caps have since been painted gloss black. Hopefully the wheels will be replaced in the next few weeks if Rotiform ever restocks!

#68 ·
Yes, they will go lower. Pulling the helpers doesn't necessarily make them ride worse, it's the increased drop that does. The v1's on the s40 with no perches and no helpers still ride great, in my opinion.

Here's a dyno chart from yesterday. Mods are 3'' catted dp, autotech catback and elevate tune. The car still has in cracked intake manifold so it should be making more power. It will go back on the dyno after the elevate short runner comes in.

#70 ·
What year S40 is this? It appears to be 04.5-07 but with the rear bumper and lights of the 08+. What was your buddy's reasoning behind the rear and not the front facelift? I ask as I did the exact opposite, full front facelift (lights and bumper) and 08+ rear tails paired with the original style rear bumper as I like it's lines more. I've been lazy and not perfected my filler pieces for the difference in tail height.

Looks good, I just noticed the front bumper and thought I'd ask. :)

#81 ·
Haha in a way... He funds the purchases and I find the parts and deals. He doesn't frequent forums or really do research so it's better off that he just hands over the card when I find a deal.

Wheels are on but were gonna swap out the adapters for 1/4" smaller all around so they don't poke so hard. They look awesome on the car though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.