S60R vs S60T5???
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

S60R vs S60T5???

Hi everyone. I have been looking at the acceleration videos of both S60t5 and the S60r. It seems to me that the t5s are faster than the R's. The s60t5 acceleration when chipped seems alot faster than my chipped R. In fact for some reason I barely can tell a difference between my stock and chipped R (acceleration wise). Although I feel higher torque and more power all the way to red line. Well I can tell that t5 has longer gears. When I shift from third into fourth in my R, Im going about 85-90 mph, while t5 shifts into fourth at 95-100 or so.

Did anyone ever notice this?

Don't get me wrong I love my R I just want to see if anyone else noticed this and what you guys think.

In an 8/2003 edition of Car and Driver, they were delivered a Passion Red 2004 S60R for testing. According to them it stickered for $37,510 which was $14,610 more than a 247HP T5. The R they tested stickered at $41,550 and was a MT 5 speed. They talked about the larger KKK turbo (eliminating the Mitsubishi turbo) which doubled the boost to 14.7 psi.
      This is a direct quote from the article: "Zero to 60 mph comes at just 5.5 seconds, which is a full second quicker than the S60 T5, nearly two seconds faster than the S60 AWD, and most notably, only 0.3 and 0.5 second slower, respectively, than the Mercedes C32 AMG and the 340-hp Audi S4. Reaching the quarter-mile marker takes another 8.5 seconds, to 14 flat at 101 mph, trailing the two Germans by 0.4 but dusting the T5 by 0.9 and the AWD by 1.8."
      It is a good, comprehensive article about the R and compares it to the A4, the M3, and others. They were impressed. It was written by Arron Robinson and Ron Kiino. I hope this helps.
      "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke
      2007 S60R Magic Blue Metallic/Gobi MT (IPD intercooler, Hawk ceramics)
      2013 XC60 T6 Saville Grey Metallic/Black (wife's)
      http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/reward2/library/

Maybe your R isn't running as it should. Never driven a T5 so I don't know but I highly doubt it should be faster then an R.
      2006 Black Saphire/ Gobi S60R...Phuz DP, Custom 3" Exhaust, R kelly w/ K&N, RICA Stage II, Eibachs... http://s1238.photobucket.com/albums/...importraceram/

R's are cooler....you wanna be cool right?
      2004 S60R MT Titanium Gray w/ Gobi Interior | MONSTROUS Stage Bro 23PSI Tune by HiltonTuning | CXRACING: FMIC | AEM & DevilsOwn: Meth Injection Hybrid | ARD: 11 Blade | OBX: Downpipe| Catback: CUSTOM BUILT | Snabb: Intake Pipe | ViVA: UR Braces, CBV(FORGE), Shifter Bushings | TWM: M1 Abrams, Short Shifter | IPD: VR TS Sways, U/L Poly Mounts, Strut Bar Poly, Sport Springs| H&R: 10mm/15mm | Swedish Boost Mafia | AMSOIL Authorized Dealer

I've owned both, 2001 T5, & 2004 R, both stage 2, R is faster& handles better, the torque steer inthe T5 was not fun...
      totally stock.. honest

Quote Originally Posted by reward2 View Post
      In an 8/2003 edition of Car and Driver, they were delivered a Passion Red 2004 S60R for testing. According to them it stickered for $37,510 which was $14,610 more than a 247HP T5. The R they tested stickered at $41,550 and was a MT 5 speed. They talked about the larger KKK turbo (eliminating the Mitsubishi turbo) which doubled the boost to 14.7 psi.
      This is a direct quote from the article: "Zero to 60 mph comes at just 5.5 seconds, which is a full second quicker than the S60 T5, nearly two seconds faster than the S60 AWD, and most notably, only 0.3 and 0.5 second slower, respectively, than the Mercedes C32 AMG and the 340-hp Audi S4. Reaching the quarter-mile marker takes another 8.5 seconds, to 14 flat at 101 mph, trailing the two Germans by 0.4 but dusting the T5 by 0.9 and the AWD by 1.8."
      It is a good, comprehensive article about the R and compares it to the A4, the M3, and others. They were impressed. It was written by Arron Robinson and Ron Kiino. I hope this helps.
      Well that's just incorrect....

Quote Originally Posted by R.Photo View Post
      Well that's just incorrect....
      Sharp eyes. I reread the article and it does say it was a 6 speed MT. Thanks for correcting.
      "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

The T5 was only $23k???
      1998 S70 GLT - Sold
      1999 V70XC - Sold

1997 850 GLT - Daily Driver Check It Out
      2007 S60R - - FOR SALE -285 awhp/305 ft-lb
      Sometimes I sing too

Sharp eyes. I reread the article and it does say it was a 6 speed MT. Thanks for correcting.
      .3 seconds slower than the c63?

.5 seconds slower than the Audi?

The Audi figures seem correct but I have witnessed the c63 in action and it SPANKS the R in almost any way....aside from the bucket seats
      2004 S60R MT Titanium Gray w/ Gobi Interior | MONSTROUS Stage Bro 23PSI Tune by HiltonTuning | CXRACING: FMIC | AEM & DevilsOwn: Meth Injection Hybrid | ARD: 11 Blade | OBX: Downpipe| Catback: CUSTOM BUILT | Snabb: Intake Pipe | ViVA: UR Braces, CBV(FORGE), Shifter Bushings | TWM: M1 Abrams, Short Shifter | IPD: VR TS Sways, U/L Poly Mounts, Strut Bar Poly, Sport Springs| H&R: 10mm/15mm | Swedish Boost Mafia | AMSOIL Authorized Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by Vio-TT-R View Post

The Audi figures seem correct but I have witnessed the c63 in action and it SPANKS the R in almost any way....aside from the bucket seats
      Read Vio, C32! Audi should be a B6 at best.
      04 S60 R | MT | Titanium Grey | Nordkap ( mods & evolution & pictures )
      19x8.5 VMR V713 | RICA I | phuz DP | Quad Tip Exhaust | 05+ Conversion | Eibach | Sport Kit | Lots of stuff...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-awd-road-test

Awd vs fwd! I'd personally rather have awd over fwd regardless of power....better handling more control. Peace of mind I guess? R is definitely faster stock. My buddy has a T5 that's faster than my R(only for now )...it's scary. Ha.
      Also depends on your finances. If you have a lower budget and can find a T5 go for it. Or if you want the ride of your life grab an R!

Good luck
      2005 Volvo S60R MT Mystic Silver Metallic -Custom Tuned-KW V2 Suspension-All Powerflex Bushings
      Garret:|GTX3576R|TIAL:|QR Recirc Valve|MV-R 44mm External Wastegate|Custom:|Intake|Full 3" Exhaust w/ Borla Xr-1|FMIC|UR:|Chassis Braces|AEM:|Water/Meth Kit 441cc Nozzle|5-0:|750cc Injectors|Audi:|B6 S4 MAF|IPD:|Poly Mounts-V70R Sways|BUILD THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by DevolvR View Post
      Read Vio, C32! Audi should be a B6 at best.
      Tee hee silly Vio.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyace1104 View Post
      Awd vs fwd
      this. or something is wrong with your R
      05 S60 R MT Black Sapphire, Atacama, Anthracite Pegs, Premium, Climate 110k kms EST interior LED kit All pics at http://tspot.imgur.com/NZS27#aYSrq

I dont think the T5 is faster than an R. I have a 2005 T5 6-speed with 270hp and 270tq. Less than the 300hp and 300tq of the R but also only 2wd, so less drivetrain loss. Transmission is the same I believe M66.

The R should be faster, as well as more balanced. Maybe there is something wrong with your R? Boost leak?
      2005 S60 T5 M66 (1 of 72 for '05). Four-C, OEM Lip Kit, Snabb Short Shifter, Nexus 7 HU with DSP, IPD Sways, Projector Retrofitted R bi-xenon headlights, poly bushings everywhere.
      2007 Formula SAE Racecar. Chromoly Tube Frame. Un-equal length A-Arms. Pull Rods. Fox Racing Shocks. GSX-R600. Torsen LSD. Magnesium Wheels. (restoration)
      NSX coming soon.

Anyway, if you're only comparing straight line, S60R isn't your ideal choice.
      2004 S60R 6MT, Red+Gobi, Factory Sport Kit, ARD Carbon tune, 10/15mm spacers, Drilled/Slotted rotors, Snabb turbo inlet, Evolve exhaust, OBX DP, Magmaflow Cat, IPD HD Coils, UR Bracers, so much more.

Comparably fast depending on mods, but lets take this test through a New England snow storm... No chance T-5.
      2005 S60R IPD R-Kelly kit, ARD TCV, upper engine stabilizer poly bushing kit, upper engine mount, lower transmission mount, IPD boost gauge, DEM heat shield, track spec sway bars, K&N Filter, Viva/UR strut tower bar, UR upper rear brace, lower rear brace, 8500k DRL lamps, wicked good air freshener.

LOL i like that

VOLVOS4LIFE

Agreed. Nothing else to discuss here.
      2006 Volvo S60 R 6MT; Black Sapphire/ ATACAMA w/ a Personalized Specialty Washington Plate

2015 BMW M5; Imperial Blue Metallic/ Amaro Brown Extended Leather/ Piano Black Trim; 12/1/14 Euro Delivery

Worked fir Volvo. T5 is quite a bit slower. The reason the gears seem to ride out longer is because less power. It takes longer to accelerate and change to the next gear. I was under the impression t5's were 225 or 230 HP back in 04. Not even a comparison. Ecspesially with a slush box.

Quote Originally Posted by lyleclyde View Post
      Worked fir Volvo. T5 is quite a bit slower. The reason the gears seem to ride out longer is because less power. It takes longer to accelerate and change to the next gear. I was under the impression t5's were 225 or 230 HP back in 04. Not even a comparison. Ecspesially with a slush box.
      246HP and a stage one re-flash makes around 300hp/310 tq. It all depends if your from a dig or have a rolling start. I will put my money on a 300hp 04' T5 5 speed VS an R 6 speed from a roll.....
      BLACK 13' HYUNDAI GENESIS 2.0T - CURRENT 05' S40T5A BLACK BLISTEN/ EIBACH/ OBX/ ELEVATE/ K&N/ EST/ BSR SOLD- 98' S70T5A STOCK BLUE "A luxury car should drive itself"

the OP was comparing two chipped vehicles.
      05 S60 R MT Black Sapphire, Atacama, Anthracite Pegs, Premium, Climate 110k kms EST interior LED kit All pics at http://tspot.imgur.com/NZS27#aYSrq

Quote Originally Posted by tspot View Post
      the OP was comparing two chipped vehicles.
      got to even the odds a bit......
      BLACK 13' HYUNDAI GENESIS 2.0T - CURRENT 05' S40T5A BLACK BLISTEN/ EIBACH/ OBX/ ELEVATE/ K&N/ EST/ BSR SOLD- 98' S70T5A STOCK BLUE "A luxury car should drive itself"

I'd still take the R if it weren't tuned vs a tuned T5. No wheel spin, more gears to gather speed, turbo would be working well within its efficiency zone if it weren't tuned.

The interior alone makes this a no contest.
      Volvo: Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object 2004 S60 R GT, Black Sapphire/Nordkap, 05+ center console and tails, UR braces top and bottom, lots of poly, 12mm front and 17mm rear custom spacers. 3" turboback exhaust (CNT/Elevate), silicone charge pipe, EST filter, RKelly intake (and lots more)

walked a turd in a T5 with a bunch of mild mods....and I didn't even do a skyhook takeoff.
      2008 Titanium Grey Metallic C30 R-Design
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod

6 of one, Half dozen of the other..... interiors vs wheelspin, vs brakes, vs handling/4C/Non 4C
      01-04 T5s had the 2.3 motor with 247hp, 05 + T5s got the same motor as the R (and the same K24 turbo)
      The earlier T5s are def slower, even with a tune, the later are pretty damn awesome (if you can find one, they kinda disappeared when the R's came out)
      All I can say is that I LOVE my R.
      07 SR 6MT, Blk.Saph/Nord-Bodykit.....starting again
      04 VR 6MT, Tit/Atacama- TOTALED 4/14
      01 V70 T5 GT. TOTALED yay for texting drivers.

Is your R a GT? If it is you probably don't have your torque limiter removed, which makes a huge difference and is probably why your R feels the about the same stock vs. tuned.
      '05 S60R|19" Pegs|Black Pegs Winter Setup|iPd Tune|Eibachs|R Kelly Intake|Evolve Exhaust|OBX Down Pipe|Custom Grille|Red Caliper Rs|HID Fogs|Debadged|10/15mm Spacers|Eurosport Pedals|Pioneer HU w/ Wireless OBDII|
      '04 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black|Alcantara M-Stich Wheel, Shift Boot, & Ebrake|Scorza Exhaust|CSL CF Splitters & Rear Diffuser|

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      walked a turd in a T5 with a bunch of mild mods....and I didn't even do a skyhook takeoff.
      That's funny!

Using a g-meter I managed a clutch burning high 6 seconds once in my T5 but usually could only muster low 7sec 0-60 (MY02 S60 T5 5MT). Using the same g-meter my stock R was no less than 1.5 sec quicker without breaking a sweat.

LTA
      2006 S60R 6MT BlackSapph/Atacama, Ferrita3"DP/EST-Catback/BMC/CustomCAI/A-Mist/18"PS2/NAV/iMIV/22mmRearSB/TME Springs (installed, finally! )
      2005 XC90 2.5T - Loaded family hauler
      Gone: '02 S60T5 5MT, '96 850T Wagon

don t buy a T5 man....they suck and there are many disadvantages if you are trying to mod it
      the t5 has a smaller turbo
      ****ty intercooler
      no brembos
      no 4c chassis control
      no volvo r style bucket seats
      smalls rims and tires

I don't know about you, but my T5 has the same Turbo as an R, same Head/Valvetrain, 0.1L extra displacement, bucket seats, spaceball shifter, 4c comfort/sport...no angle gear, EBD,...

stage 2 with dp, exhaust, intake, and tune on a T5 would be pretty awesome...

Why all the hate?

Quote Originally Posted by colin2211 View Post
      don t buy a T5 man....they suck and there are many disadvantages if you are trying to mod it
      the t5 has a smaller turbo
      ****ty intercooler
      no brembos
      no 4c chassis control
      no volvo r style bucket seats
      smalls rims and tires
      2005 S60 T5 M66 (1 of 72 for '05). Four-C, OEM Lip Kit, Snabb Short Shifter, Nexus 7 HU with DSP, IPD Sways, Projector Retrofitted R bi-xenon headlights, poly bushings everywhere.
      2007 Formula SAE Racecar. Chromoly Tube Frame. Un-equal length A-Arms. Pull Rods. Fox Racing Shocks. GSX-R600. Torsen LSD. Magnesium Wheels. (restoration)
      NSX coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by broinkrist View Post
      I don't know about you, but my T5 has the same Turbo as an R, same Head/Valvetrain, 0.1L extra displacement, bucket seats, spaceball shifter, 4c comfort/sport...no angle gear, EBD,...

stage 2 with dp, exhaust, intake, and tune on a T5 would be pretty awesome...

Why all the hate?
      The t5 was a 2.3l with a smaller turbo.

actually I thought it was a 2.3 and then later a 2.4 (never a 2.5)...but because of that you can take a T5 block and boost it up a lot more like those crazy Germans are doing.
      2008 Titanium Grey Metallic C30 R-Design
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      actually I thought it was a 2.3 and then later a 2.4 (never a 2.5)...but because of that you can take a T5 block and boost it up a lot more like those crazy Germans are doing.
      Exactly. Volvo S60 T5s never came with the 2.5L engine, in the earlier years of 2001-2004, the T5s had the old trustworthy 2.3L 850 design. It was later in 2005 where they needed to refresh their lineup(cosmetically) with a bit more power, they upped the engine by displacement to the 2.4L engine with the same turbo configuration. The 2.5L AWD sported a similar engine to the R, but it had a low pressure and smaller turbo.
      04 S60 R | MT | Titanium Grey | Nordkap ( mods & evolution & pictures )
      19x8.5 VMR V713 | RICA I | phuz DP | Quad Tip Exhaust | 05+ Conversion | Eibach | Sport Kit | Lots of stuff...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast