cost to have dealership program new throttle body?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

cost to have dealership program new throttle body?

I am replacing the throttle body on my 01 v70 myself. It has a white one on it, replacing it with a yellow one. When I originally called asking about it a few weeks ago they said it was going to be $70. When I called today to actually set up the appointment they said it was $70 to program it then 80 for "the software" so $150. Is this the going rate or are they ripping me off? I will say I am not the fondest of my local dealer, and we have clashed in the past so they may remember me and be trying to charge me more.

If it's the same part number it likely won't have to be programmed at all, or at least that's a rumor I heard.
      2003 C70 T5M Convertible - Eibachs, Koni FSDs, Enkei RSF5s, OBX downpipe, Snabb intake & RIP kit, AL Intercooler, Quaife LSD, JZW tune. Summer fun car
      2001 V70 T5M - Black on black, H&R springs, Triton wheels, Koni FSDs, Daily driver
      1966 122s - Collectible project, restoration and many mods on the way.
      RIP - 2004 C70 HPT Convertible, 5 speed swap

I was planning on trying to start it up after I install the new one just for kicks. Not sure if the number on it is the same or not.

Called the next closest Volvo dealer and they want $180, so maybe my local dealer isnt just messing with me, either way it seems insanely expensive.

New or used?
      A used ETM needs no programming
      Software should be 50-60 not 80
      Labor charge seems less than most other dealers are charging.

You can try, it won't hurt anything. It either may work or it wont!
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2006 XC70 White/Black 60K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now 122K miles and still perfect
      1994 Lincoln Continental. In concours condition with low miles.

It is a used throttle body, so hopefully it will work and I can call and cancel the appointment after install. Thanks guys.

Used definitely needs no programming
      If it's installed, start the car and drive away.
      If it's good and it was CLEANED before you installed the throttle, she should drive like new if everything else is nominal
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2006 XC70 White/Black 60K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now 122K miles and still perfect
      1994 Lincoln Continental. In concours condition with low miles.

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
      Used definitely needs no programming
      If it's installed, start the car and drive away.
      If it's good and it was CLEANED before you installed the throttle, she should drive like new if everything else is nominal
      Yup, I bought a used 03' TB for my 03' and cleaned it properly, installed with a new gasket and bingo bango everythying was back to normal.

But then again my TB didnt break on its own, someone tried to clean it...and didnt follow directions...and that boy was ME.
      2003 V70 2.4i | BSW | 147k
      2006 S40 2.4i | Wife's Car | 96k
      1992 ///M5 | SOLD | 77k

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm having problems with my 2001 Volvo S80 2.9. It stalled on me while driving on the freeway but when i cranked it back up, it would only go 2mph. I had it towed to a repair shop and they tried replacing the maf sensor and accelerator pedal sensor and nothing. Said they couldn't get any codes. The mechanic said its the throttle body so i went in bought a used one which worked but my car kept dying with it. Would i need to get the used throttle body programmed from the dealer or can i get another used throttle body with the exact part number. I heard using the same part number as the original throttle body would not require a program from the dealer. I'm lost on what to do since I have spent $800 on a rental and my car still isn't fixed. Any help would be appreciated. Peterjk4, was both throttle bodies the exact same part number?

Was the throttle bodies the exact same part numbers?
      Quote Originally Posted by peterjk4 View Post
      Yup, I bought a used 03' TB for my 03' and cleaned it properly, installed with a new gasket and bingo bango everythying was back to normal.

But then again my TB didnt break on its own, someone tried to clean it...and didnt follow directions...and that boy was ME.