SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

cost to have dealership program new throttle body?

20K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  ReneeS80 
#1 ·
I am replacing the throttle body on my 01 v70 myself. It has a white one on it, replacing it with a yellow one. When I originally called asking about it a few weeks ago they said it was going to be $70. When I called today to actually set up the appointment they said it was $70 to program it then 80 for "the software" so $150. Is this the going rate or are they ripping me off? I will say I am not the fondest of my local dealer, and we have clashed in the past so they may remember me and be trying to charge me more.

#2 ·
If it's the same part number it likely won't have to be programmed at all, or at least that's a rumor I heard.

#5 ·
New or used?
A used ETM needs no programming
Software should be 50-60 not 80
Labor charge seems less than most other dealers are charging.

You can try, it won't hurt anything. It either may work or it wont!

#7 ·
Used definitely needs no programming
If it's installed, start the car and drive away.
If it's good and it was CLEANED before you installed the throttle, she should drive like new if everything else is nominal

#8 ·
Yup, I bought a used 03' TB for my 03' and cleaned it properly, installed with a new gasket and bingo bango everythying was back to normal.

But then again my TB didnt break on its own, someone tried to clean it...and didnt follow directions...and that boy was ME.

#9 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm having problems with my 2001 Volvo S80 2.9. It stalled on me while driving on the freeway but when i cranked it back up, it would only go 2mph. I had it towed to a repair shop and they tried replacing the maf sensor and accelerator pedal sensor and nothing. Said they couldn't get any codes. The mechanic said its the throttle body so i went in bought a used one which worked but my car kept dying with it. Would i need to get the used throttle body programmed from the dealer or can i get another used throttle body with the exact part number. I heard using the same part number as the original throttle body would not require a program from the dealer. I'm lost on what to do since I have spent $800 on a rental and my car still isn't fixed. Any help would be appreciated. Peterjk4, was both throttle bodies the exact same part number?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.