Starting problems after fueling and with hot weather
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Starting problems after fueling and with hot weather

Hi there,

I have a problem with my 2001 s60 2.4 (petrol).

After fueling the car starts very difficult. I have to crank it for a while, then it starts. Same problem with hot weather. So it seems vapor gets in the fuel lines somehow.

Can it be a faulty fuel filter? Or a faulty fuel pump (in the fuel tank)?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards Ronald

My fuel pump was replaced under a Volvo recall notice. May want to check if yours qualifies.
      2001 S60 T5 - 18T, Vibrant FMIC, 3" dp, Full 3" cat-back w/Dual Magnaflow resonators,ARD Blue tune,Green injectors,Simota CCI,Snabb intake,AEM Uego,silicone hoses,QBM Mounts,17" Falken RT-7M,Elevate frt sway,TKI HD endlinks,IPD r sway HD links,Blackout eggcrate grill,painted eyebrow tails,M Rear Lip spoiler,Koni/Eibach FSD's,R Manifold, Sharp HIDs,3M Di-Noc CF, Xemodex ETM

call volvo of america, they will check your VIN and tell you all the recalls that you have. Most of the S60 early, has a recall for fuel pump.
      S80 V8 AWD - XC90 2.5T - S60 T5 M 01(SOLD) - R-K24 Turbo, R-Manifold, R-charge pipe, ARD Blue custom flash, BSR catback, downpipe and intake, ARD TCV, IPD Coils and Pod, Snabb intake pipe, Xemodex ETM, FMIC, SPEC Stage 3+,Autometer SportCompII Gauge, Ipd upper mounts, Evolve hoses, Brembo 4 pistons big brake kits front and rear, OEM body kit, Bilstein HD with Eibach pro kit, R 18" wheels, 6000k hid kits up and fogs, 2006 bixenon

He will probably need to contact the Volvo importer for his country. Nobody in the USA distinguishes their car as a petrol model, since ALL of them are and we use the term gasoline anyway. I thought the fuel pump recall was for newer models than 01 tho. When my pump failed, it would run like Bolt for the longest time then suddenly die and refuse to start for 10+ minutes, then fire rught up and repeat the process.
      2004 V70 T5M: Platinum Green Bob Villa mod | boost gauge | poly mounts | Snabb intake | IPD sways | Koni yellow struts | KYB monotube shocks http://imgur.com/a/0MRgX
      2006 Mazda5 Touring 5MT the runabout
      1996 Ram 1500 the workhorse

@ Thaxman,

Indeed I am not from the USA. I will check with the Volvo dealer in Holland regarding the pump. I will also change the fuel filter to see if that works.

Thanks for the replies!

i think you should check the purge valve. common problem with this symptom....it is supposed to be closed key off but it sticks open and causes the intake manifold to fill up with fumes causing a no start or hard start/long crank.