Tire Question
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Thread: Tire Question

Tire Question

I washed my XC by hand yesterday for the first time since last year (mainly due to drought conditions where I live). Of course, during a hand wash you get to notice all of the new scratches, dings and other fun stuff. One thing I did notice is that one of my rear tires has developed a medium sized bubble. Wouldn't you know that there is also some evidence of tire on the edge of the rim which tells me that "somebody" brushed up against a curb (or something). I rarely drive the car anymore.

It looks like I am going to have to replace the tire in question, that much I know. It is a Michelin Latitude HP which isn't cheap. My question is, is it ok just to replace the one tire or should I replace both rear tires at this point? The set has about 20k mi. on them.

Thanks for any advice, folks!
      2007 XC90 Sport -- Electric Silver

2012 Dodge Charger R/T Road and Track: Cop tires, cop shocks, cop suspension

Most tire shops will put a new tire on the rear of the car. Since our cars are mainly FWD and only sends power to the rear on-demand, you might be able to get away with it.
      2005 Subaru WRX STi
      2006 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD - Gone as of 10/1/2014 but never forgotten

I would not do this without measuring the tread depths on the remaining tires. Most new tires for our SUV have depths that are in the 10/32 to 11/32 range. Depending on your history, if you have rotated these tires a couple of times it is possible that overall the rears are more worn than one would think for just staying on the back. They could be down to 5/32 and that would mean the new tire will have a rolling diameter that MAY be sufficiently different to cause a problem. I was told by my Porsche dealer that anything more than 3/32 will probably be a problem for the electronics. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Excimer View Post
      I would not do this without measuring the tread depths on the remaining tires. Most new tires for our SUV have depths that are in the 10/32 to 11/32 range. Depending on your history, if you have rotated these tires a couple of times it is possible that overall the rears are more worn than one would think for just staying on the back. They could be down to 5/32 and that would mean the new tire will have a rolling diameter that MAY be sufficiently different to cause a problem. I was told by my Porsche dealer that anything more than 3/32 will probably be a problem for the electronics. YMMV.
      buy from ebay from a seller with a good rating, I have had good success with that for replacing one tire twice now
      2006 2.5T AWD XC90, 10/2005(current)::: 2006 2.5T AWD XC90, 9/2005(current)::: 2003 2.5T AWD XC90, 3/2003 (trade-in)

I am always amazed by the improvement (ride, handling, noise) you get from a new set of tires. If you tires are anywhere near 50% through their life, I would just replace the set. You may want to look into other brands that are more affordable. You can search/post here, or go to www.TireRack.com and do a tire search.
      Current: 2007 XC90 V8 Sport, Nokian WRG2 SUV
      Previous: 2001 S60 T5, 2004 S60 R, 2006 XC90 2.5T
      Considering: 2008 C70 RHT

Yeah, it is amazing how crappy the tires get. It suddenly becomes so much smoother and quieter with new tires. I need to find a replacement with stiff sidewalls. I am eating mine up on these tight slow corners. Every time I look at the tires it looks like I have tracked my XC90. The Continental Extreme Contact DWS just have too soft side walls, and the tread life of maybe 20K miles.
      2004 S60R Titanium/Atacama-Spec SM Flywheel, Phuz DP & FMIC, IPD HD TCV, UR F/R Strut Tower Brace, IPD UEM Bushing, IPD LTM. On-the-shelf-UR pulley, UR Lower F&R Braces, IPD HD Front Endlinks, Takspeed Titanium shims, Takspeed SS Brake lines, Takspeed R Pen
      2009 XC90 V8 RDesign Titanium-Dimpled/Slotted Rotors, SS Brake lines, Rear R Calipers (On-Shelf wont fit with rims)