Sound Dampening/Control
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Sound Dampening/Control

Any suggestions on best/most economical material for lining interior to reduce engine/road noise?
      '63 122 2dr, Daily Driver...(SOLD)
      '74 142, Driving Project

Hi John! I'm looking into this too right now, actually. I think there's a couple routes to go, but I was planning on going to a place like Home Depot and finding a dense material (like a heavy rubber matting) for sound dampening. I think the rule there is to cover 25% of the major surfaces. And then I was going to go to a carpet or upholstery store and get some thick jute carpet padding to go over that for heat insulation. That's pretty similar to what came in the cars stock, I believe. And it's way cheaper than using a Dynamat material.

I'll let you know what I end up actually purchasing.
      "Oskar" - 1967 122S (P130) , B20B + M40

Thanks, akierstein. Seeing alot of info on line from Dynamat to FatMat to Peel and Seal. Will want something fairly cheap, but not smell like asphalt, as some of the mentioned products have been known to do. Anyway, given her some lovin and would like to get a little less road noise

Last edited by John Douglas; 04-06-2012 at 06:15 PM.
      '74 142, Driving Project

I am considering FatMat for my wagon. The reviews are pretty spectacular and it is not nearly the cost of Dynamat. Ebay has had the best prices so far. Keep us updated on what you decide to go with!

Zach Silver

Hi Zach...I did decide to go with FatMat based on reviews and advice from user on another forum who had used both products (FatMat, Dynamat) and advised that they were indistinguishable from each other. I'll update this post with pictures and effectiveness after install.
      '74 142, Driving Project

Great! Thanks!

Zach

I'm going to try out the Reflectix under jute padding under the carpet. I just bought some Reflectix from Lowe's ... it was $16 for a 2'x25' roll. Should be enough to do the whole car. Didn't get to an upholstery shop today to pick up the jute, but I'll report back on cost. I'm expecting the whole situation to be reasonably good as far as sound and very good as far as heat insulation, but I'll let you know. It's also so cheap that if it sucks I'll just spring for the good stuff later. I'm just going to use foil tape to put down the Reflectix and a minimal amount of spray glue for everything else. The carpet is easy to remove.

Let's compare notes in a few months!
      "Oskar" - 1967 122S (P130) , B20B + M40

Global Moderator
      If possible, avoid using jute padding.

George Dill

Global Moderator
      Quote Originally Posted by John Douglas View Post
      Any suggestions on best/most economical material for lining interior to reduce engine/road noise?
      Correctly installing a new shift boot (in a stick-shift car) will greatly reduce road/engine noise and heat/air intrusion.

George Dill

Did anyone ever do the sound dampening? If so, what did you use and how well did it work?

Quote Originally Posted by gdill2 View Post
      Correctly installing a new shift boot (in a stick-shift car) will greatly reduce road/engine noise and heat/air intrusion.

George Dill
      Any idea where one can find a new boot? Then, we can discuss how to "correctly" install it. I had tried to patch holes on the boot with duck tape. Did not work so good. Any good tricks on how to patch a rubber boot?

I did install the FatMat and it has provided some improvement. However, I can't comment on how much improvement until I finish up the interior with an additional layer of pad and carpet. I also put some butyl sheeting behind door panels, which has helped.

Edit: I did hear from another owner that the stock shift boot provided greatest improvement, to re-inforce George......google "Tom's 1967 Volvo" for photos and a flyer
      Last edited by John Douglas; 05-07-2012 at 12:52 PM.
      '74 142, Driving Project

IRoll Mike, VP-Autoparts, Eric Hamlet in Torrance, CA and Olof Malmberg (Vintage Import Parts) in Washington and BC should ALL have shift boots.

Global Moderator
      Quote Originally Posted by John Douglas View Post
      http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&a...pe=&as_rights=

George Dill