4C button dislodged inside dash?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

4C button dislodged inside dash?

Hey everyone,

I was driving along yesterday and I hit the 'Comfort' button after a little run onto a freeway in Advanced... and there was a snap noise and the 4C button cluster came loose on the left side.

I'm guessing whatever holds it to the inside of the dash broke or was dislodged.

My problem is though... how on earth do you get to that part of the dash without disassembling the whole thing? Does the part with the vents just pull out? How do I fix this?

Thanks!

EDIT: So, I disassembled as per the directions below (I also found some pictures somewhere on the internet, I cannot remember where right now... they weren't hard to google). I then popped the 4C button out, masked off the actual buttons, and carefully glued the button unit on with a small amount of epoxy. After giving it a little while to set, I then used a hot glue gun around the edges to make damn sure it wasn't coming off... put it back together and it's as good as new!
      Last edited by evilspoons; 05-04-2012 at 10:00 AM.
      Currently driving: 2012 Subaru Impreza WRX STi 5-door, 1991 940 Turbo sedan.
      Written off: 2005 S60R. Magic Blue/Nordkap Sold: 2004 S60 2.4i, 1987 740 Turbo

There are really annoying clips holding in the vents, but you should be able to get them out with a bone tool. Perfect time to get one
      1998 S70 GLT - Sold
      1999 V70XC - Sold

1997 850 GLT - Daily Driver Check It Out
      2007 S60R - - Check It Out -285 awhp/305 ft-lb
      Sometimes I sing too

Quote Originally Posted by evilspoons View Post
      Hey everyone,

I was driving along yesterday and I hit the 'Comfort' button after a little run onto a freeway in Advanced... and there was a snap noise and the 4C button cluster came loose on the left side.

I'm guessing whatever holds it to the inside of the dash broke or was dislodged.

My problem is though... how on earth do you get to that part of the dash without disassembling the whole thing? Does the part with the vents just pull out? How do I fix this?

Thanks!
      Really the dash comes apart easy enough so even if you are unable to get the vents out you can rip it apart rather quickly with the bone tool! Either way Bone Tool is a must!
      2004 S60R MT Titanium Gray w/ Gobi Interior | MONSTROUS 20PSI Tune by HiltonTuning | CXRACING: FMIC | AEM & DevilsOwn: Meth Injection Hybrid | ARD: 11 Blade | OBX: Downpipe| Catback: CUSTOM BUILT | Snabb: Intake Pipe | ViVA: UR Braces, CBV(FORGE), Shifter Bushings | TWM: M1 Abrams, Short Shifter | IPD: VR TS Sways, U/L Poly Mounts, Strut Bar Poly, Eibachs | H&R: 10mm/15mm | Swedish Boost Mafia | AMSOIL Authorized Dealer

My wife even likes to use my bone tool.
      Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****, what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Our R View Post
      My wife even likes to use my bone tool.

"My wife would like that"
      Last edited by Stefan1235; 04-09-2012 at 05:32 PM.
      2004 Volvo S60R Silver/Nordkap 6spd | OEM Sport Kit | RICA Stage II+ | OBX Full Exhaust | Snabb Intake + Shifter | FMIC | Forge CBV | Spec SM Flywheel | 14.3s @ 100mph
      2008 Yamaha YZF-R1 10.1 @ 144mph

Alright, I already have a bone tool (it's Martha Stewart branded, hahaha... guess who got it at the local crafts store...).

Do I just start prying at random stuff or is there a good guide for taking apart that section? lol
      Currently driving: 2012 Subaru Impreza WRX STi 5-door, 1991 940 Turbo sedan.
      Written off: 2005 S60R. Magic Blue/Nordkap Sold: 2004 S60 2.4i, 1987 740 Turbo

Why don't you pm bprey I have seen vent pods he made for the center vents and it looked like a removable piece. To get the dash apart you have to start with the pen holder thing if it is an 04 then shift plate then the ccm etc. don't unplug the ccm tho I have heard it can cause a srs warning.
      2004 S60R, black sapphire, nordikap, M66, Autotech Stage2, K&N, 3" DP, EST catback w/ EST res delete, viva HD CBV,viva FMIC, TWM short shift, snabb intake pipe, TME springs, IPD track spec sways.

I vote for shoving the bone tool in with reckless abandonment and prying. I got a vent out that way and I don't recall breaking any clips
      1998 S70 GLT - Sold
      1999 V70XC - Sold

1997 850 GLT - Daily Driver Check It Out
      2007 S60R - - Check It Out -285 awhp/305 ft-lb
      Sometimes I sing too

I think you got two clips at the top and two clips at the bottom. You sort of have to "unzip" them up since they have teeth on them.
      And once it's out, the 4C buttons can be re-attached using superglue - the same thing happened to me in the past
      2004 S60R 6MT Tuned by Autotech

Quote Originally Posted by tomedkaz
      Also, it goes without saying that you should lower your caR
      My Build Thread: CLICK HERE
      Buy my used, but good S60R shocks HERE