Best downpipe for my 2006 R - opinions/recommendations?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best downpipe for my 2006 R - opinions/recommendations?

I'm looking for opinions on downpipes. I'm concerned about fitment, quality of the pipe, and quality of the catalytic converter especially. I bought a pipe previously for my S70 and the cat failed a smog test after just one year of driving.

I see a huge difference in pricing so I'm confused about quality.
      2006 S60R GT, OBX exhaust, ss braided brake lines, cross drilled rotors, RICA ECU upgrade, Snabb intake, KN air filter, Phuzz TCV, CFW winglets, ADR 19" rims with 12mm wheel spacers.

Custom, or a cheap catless pipe and have it modified with a high end metal monolith cat of your choice. I have an IPD DP and love it, although it is now catless since it gernaded after 40K miles. Pipe still works and fits great although there is no cat in place.
      06 Ti Grey SR w/Sport Pkg, Manual, (IPD)>Stage II, AMS w/custom AEM Dry Flow, 3in DP, Track Sway Bars, HD Endlinks, Boost Gauge, Silicone Vac Lines, Upr Engine Mnt, HD Trans Mount. SNABB Intake & Short Shifter,IPD 3" Oval Exhaust, Phuz HD TCV, Viva HD CBV, Wg 7psi, Port Matched/Polished Intake Manifold, Victory Performance FMIC w/IMEC, Labonte Stg II H2O/Meth Injection. http://www.dragtimes.com/Volvo-S60-Timeslip-19306.html

The Elevate pipe is the only DP that actually works. It's the only pipe that lets hot exhaust gasses travel to the rest of the exhaust system.
      http://elevatecars.com/elevate-s60r/...0r-35-downpipe

You're welcome, end of thread.

Quote Originally Posted by kmg_S60R View Post
      Custom, or a cheap catless pipe and have it modified with a high end metal monolith cat of your choice. I have an IPD DP and love it, although it is now catless since it gernaded after 40K miles. Pipe still works and fits great although there is no cat in place.
      Ya I was thinking this was a good route. I'm guessing a Magnaflow cat?
      2006 S60R GT, OBX exhaust, ss braided brake lines, cross drilled rotors, RICA ECU upgrade, Snabb intake, KN air filter, Phuzz TCV, CFW winglets, ADR 19" rims with 12mm wheel spacers.

How can you say that? There has been no evidence that a 3.5" pipe has any benefit over a 3".

Edit: And IPD's is too expensive (Elevates is more) and can get rusty ugly.
      Last edited by dave_n_ruth; 04-13-2012 at 10:21 AM.
      2004 S60R Titanium/Atacama-Spec SM Flywheel, Phuz DP & FMIC, IPD HD TCV, UR F/R Strut Tower Brace, IPD UEM Bushing, IPD LTM. On-the-shelf-UR pulley, UR Lower F&R Braces, IPD HD Front Endlinks, Takspeed Titanium shims, Takspeed SS Brake lines, Takspeed R Pen
      2009 XC90 V8 RDesign Titanium-Dimpled/Slotted Rotors, SS Brake lines, Rear R Calipers (On-Shelf wont fit with rims)

Phuzzy DP coated black, with FMIC! $1,150 for both.
      2004 S60R Titanium/Atacama-Spec SM Flywheel, Phuz DP & FMIC, IPD HD TCV, UR F/R Strut Tower Brace, IPD UEM Bushing, IPD LTM. On-the-shelf-UR pulley, UR Lower F&R Braces, IPD HD Front Endlinks, Takspeed Titanium shims, Takspeed SS Brake lines, Takspeed R Pen
      2009 XC90 V8 RDesign Titanium-Dimpled/Slotted Rotors, SS Brake lines, Rear R Calipers (On-Shelf wont fit with rims)

I love my IPD DP but have to agree with dave above..........Phuzzy power package.

OBX DP with Custom intercooler both of those together will leave you enough money for a tune!
      2005 Red MT R| Dual CAI|Snabb Intake|OBX DP|Custom Exhaust Cut-out|Custom FMIC|AEM Stage 2 Water/Meth Injection| IPD HD Endlinks| Bob Villa Mod| Polyurethane Engine + Transmission Mounts| Prosport Evo Boost Gauge| Eibach Springs| Forge CBV|ARD TCV|Five-O 750cc Injectors|K24 Hybrid Turbo|Custom Tune|

Quote Originally Posted by anthonybilotta View Post
      OBX DP with Custom intercooler both of those together will leave you enough money for a tune!
      I love you
      DD - '04 R - Silver/Nord - K&N, IPD, R1Concepts Slotted/cross drilled brakes, Stoptech Pads, LED interior lights, OBX Turbo-back Exhaust, RICA Tune 10/15mm spacers
      Weekend -2010 Brilliant Black Jeep SRT8 - 500 HP/TQ

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14229.png

I have to agree.. OBX with a highflow cat welded in makes the most sense to me considering the prices on the other brands. Mine cost me under $250 with a decent cat welded in.. can't go wrong with that.

races60r.com I have his on my car and quality is up there with the best in my opinion!! Hes great to work with as well, very very nice!
      EUROPROJEKTZ 2006 Volvo S60R Passion/Gobi with mods

The only worry with OBX is longevity, we don't know exactly what material was used or how it will hold up over time. All we know is the claims made by various eBay sellers. Hopefully they last forever, as many have bought them.

The ethical reservation with them is it is a stollen design from one of our reliable merchants.

Quote Originally Posted by volvoboys60r View Post
      races60r.com I have his on my car and quality is up there with the best in my opinion!! Hes great to work with as well, very very nice!
      Does't Viva get their FMIC from them as well?, not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by dave_n_ruth View Post
      The only worry with OBX is longevity, we don't know exactly what material was used or how it will hold up over time. All we know is the claims made by various eBay sellers. Hopefully they last forever, as many have bought them.

The ethical reservation with them is it is a stollen design from one of our reliable merchants.
      I just removed my OBX after selling my VR and it looks as good as any other I've seen after about a year of use. At that price point, even if it needs to be replaced every couple of years it's still only $180 shipped. It's also nice to be able to choose the cat you want, whether it's a race cat or something more civilized.

I'm not knocking the higher priced brands.. they do fit nicely and don't come with the ridiculous rear flange of the OBX, but an aftermarket down pipe for the R should never cost nearly as much as a good SS cat-back.

Has anyone here tried the CNT dp from ebay?
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNT-Racing-C...27459378038627

Not sure but i stand behind Races60r.com's products, I am super picky about my car and what goes on it and the quality is up there with the products costing hundreds more
      EUROPROJEKTZ 2006 Volvo S60R Passion/Gobi with mods

Not sure but i stand behind Races60r.com's products, I am super picky about my car and what goes on it and the quality is up there with the products costing hundreds more
      I agree here, this pipe had great build quality, perfect fitment, and no O2 spacer needed/no codes
      04 V70R. Passion Red. Gobi. Heico Springs. GSX Downpipe. ipd Stage 2. ipd Sways. R Kelly CAI. Phuz TCV. Powerflex mounts

RaceS60R's (GSX_Todd) has been around awhile and he also has a FMIC package. Quality stuff and quality materials used.
      04 S60 R | MT | Titanium Grey | Nordkap ( mods & evolution & pictures )
      19x8.5 VMR V713 | RICA I | phuz DP | Quad Tip Exhaust | 05+ Conversion | Eibach | Sport Kit | Lots of stuff...

Double post jinx!

Quote Originally Posted by R.Photo View Post
      The Elevate pipe is the only DP that actually works. It's the only pipe that lets hot exhaust gasses travel to the rest of the exhaust system.

My sarcasm detector is going off...........
      totally stock.. honest

Mine only registered a small blip, as I don't remember any Evolve hate threads from him.

Haha yes it's sarcasm. I've said so many times in the past... it's just a metal pipe. I really do like Elevate's products, but a $1200 down pipe is just hilarious.

Haha yes it's sarcasm. I've said so many times in the past... it's just a metal pipe. I really do like Elevate's products, but a $1200 down pipe is just hilarious.
      +1

Even the $700 I paid or the IPD DP is loll3r.

The TME downpipes rocks! Swedish quality all the way!!
      S60R 2005,Blackmet,M66c,Atacama,TME Spec.ECU,TME 3" downpipe,TME catback,VIVA 3" Turbo intake pipe,VIVA FMIC
      http://imgur.com/a/dCyvk

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-R View Post
      +1

Even the $700 I paid or the IPD DP is loll3r.
      Especially since it is a TME ripoff made in china.
      2008 C30 2.0 6MT

2006 Ti SR 6MT - Scrapped by CMOD_R.

1984 242 Ti 4sp - Has moar power than Vio's Mom.

It's all relative I guess. I'm one of the few people here to have paid $38,000 for my R. No wonder it took so long to start modding it!

It's all relative I guess. I'm one of the few people here to have paid $38,000 for my R. No wonder it took so long to start modding it!
      LOL!!
      S60R 2005,Blackmet,M66c,Atacama,TME Spec.ECU,TME 3" downpipe,TME catback,VIVA 3" Turbo intake pipe,VIVA FMIC

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
      Especially since it is a TME ripoff made in china.
      I thought CJ made the IPD DPs out in Cali?
      04 VR Ti/Atacama MT

Quote Originally Posted by Mr R! View Post
      LOL!!
      It's true. Not many original owners remaining on here.

It's true. Not many original owners remaining on here.
      Hey! Are u comming to Sweden this summer!??

It looks like it has the best cat but it's so bloody expensive.

Not this summer. We were planning to drive to Norway next May for the Constitution festival. We hear it's a great time. We have not figured out a route yet.

Quote Originally Posted by exbmxer View Post
      The best cat is no cat

(link in signature)

Quote Originally Posted by exbmxer View Post
      Yes, Elevate does a hell of a job polishing pipe! Just ask their mascots!

Quote Originally Posted by soupandspoons View Post
      I thought CJ made the IPD DPs out in Cali?
      This may be true but in days past I knew they were overseas.
      2008 C30 2.0 6MT

2006 Ti SR 6MT - Scrapped by CMOD_R.

1984 242 Ti 4sp - Has moar power than Vio's Mom.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast