SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Best downpipe for my 2006 R - opinions/recommendations?

9K views 73 replies 21 participants last post by  jclough 
#1 ·
I'm looking for opinions on downpipes. I'm concerned about fitment, quality of the pipe, and quality of the catalytic converter especially. I bought a pipe previously for my S70 and the cat failed a smog test after just one year of driving.

I see a huge difference in pricing so I'm confused about quality.

#2 ·
Custom, or a cheap catless pipe and have it modified with a high end metal monolith cat of your choice. I have an IPD DP and love it, although it is now catless since it gernaded after 40K miles. Pipe still works and fits great although there is no cat in place.

#4 ·
Ya I was thinking this was a good route. I'm guessing a Magnaflow cat?

#6 · (Edited)
How can you say that? There has been no evidence that a 3.5" pipe has any benefit over a 3".

Edit: And IPD's is too expensive (Elevates is more) and can get rusty ugly.

#7 ·
Phuzzy DP coated black, with FMIC! $1,150 for both.

#9 ·
OBX DP with Custom intercooler :) both of those together will leave you enough money for a tune!

#13 ·
The only worry with OBX is longevity, we don't know exactly what material was used or how it will hold up over time. All we know is the claims made by various eBay sellers. Hopefully they last forever, as many have bought them.

The ethical reservation with them is it is a stollen design from one of our reliable merchants.

#15 ·
The only worry with OBX is longevity, we don't know exactly what material was used or how it will hold up over time. All we know is the claims made by various eBay sellers. Hopefully they last forever, as many have bought them.

The ethical reservation with them is it is a stollen design from one of our reliable merchants.
I just removed my OBX after selling my VR and it looks as good as any other I've seen after about a year of use. At that price point, even if it needs to be replaced every couple of years it's still only $180 shipped. It's also nice to be able to choose the cat you want, whether it's a race cat or something more civilized.

I'm not knocking the higher priced brands.. they do fit nicely and don't come with the ridiculous rear flange of the OBX, but an aftermarket down pipe for the R should never cost nearly as much as a good SS cat-back.

Has anyone here tried the CNT dp from ebay?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNT-Racing-Catted-Volvo-2003-2007-S60R-V70R-AWD-Downpipe-/300665169945?_trksid=m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7694227459378038627

#19 ·
Double post jinx!

#21 ·
Mine only registered a small blip, as I don't remember any Evolve hate threads from him.

#40 ·
I've got one and it is nice. Since you are local to TME I'd say go with them, screw the OBX China crap, support your local business :thumbup:

#26 ·
It's all relative I guess. I'm one of the few people here to have paid $38,000 for my R. No wonder it took so long to start modding it!

#32 ·
Not this summer. We were planning to drive to Norway next May for the Constitution festival. We hear it's a great time. We have not figured out a route yet.

#48 ·
The fumes are annoying, occasionally I smell them, but I'm VT where I'm usually not waiting in traffic. I originally bought a hi flow cat that I planned on having installed, but couldn't bring myself to do it before I got a flame throwing photo(which I haven't taken yet)

#49 ·
At what point am i going to throw hot fire from my R's butt???

#50 ·
Floor it then let off the gas abruptly allowing for unburnt fuel to dump into the exhaust hopefully igniting from the hot exhaust pipes.

#59 ·
LOL!

#61 ·
It just seems to trip the check engine light. The spacer is used to stop the error from occurring. No one has noticed anything other than that.

#66 ·
Well don't you feel like a fool? Now people are buying these things for $12k and ricen em' out. There was a time when the meer mention of chrome pegs would get you flamed out of the forum.

#72 ·
Fool? Not at all. DeprEciation is part of owning a new vehicle. At least I've had the pleasure of owning and driving my R over the past 4.5 years. I also know the complete history of the vehicle and peace of mind comes with that.

I agree with your rice r comments though. I suppose it's inevitable when the price of the used market gets low enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.