Tinting a sunroof? Other shade options?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Tinting a sunroof? Other shade options?

Hi,

Still researching what will hopefully be a purchase in the near future!

I am looking at a 2011 Volvo with a sunroof. Love the car but hate the sun in my eyes. I would prefer not to have a sunroof but that severely limits the other options available. So.......

Has anyone tinted their sunroofs? If so, how dark can you go? Or, is there an opaque shade option instead of the mesh one in the car?

I have been reading online about heat buildup with heavy tinting and the possibility of the sunroof cracking. I live in the northeast so there are a limited number of months the heat will be put to the test.

Any input or suggestions appreciated!

Thanks.

Which car are you looking at? I'm just curious which Volvo only offers a mesh cover. My S80 offers a solid sliding cover for the moonroof and it's tinted enough from the factory that I've never had a problem with the sun. The only time I close the cover is when I park outside midday and want to limit the heat going into my car which is rare.

The XC60. What year is your S80? I know Volvo used to have opaque shades.

My V70XC also has a solid sliding cover for the moonroof.
      DC
      V70XC - Cross Country Par Excellence!
      2002 V70XC-R Cross Country - Polarartic/Oak, ESR, 5AT Geartronic, leather package, factory towing kit, tinted windows and screens, tracker, sunglass holder, center console cup holder, nylon cargo barrier, Thule roof racks, R instruments cluster gauges.

I don't believe there are any accessory covers, and I suspect the results of a solid cover would be the same as tinting.

Quote Originally Posted by recklesstown View Post
      The XC60. What year is your S80? I know Volvo used to have opaque shades.
      It's a 2008.

Since the XC60 has the pano roof and a power sliding "sunshade" I'm guessing it's not the same as the sliding cover on my car with a regular moonroof. I would still be surprised if there was an issue of the sun being in your eyes though as the glass isn't far enough forward to seemingly cause that problem.
      Last edited by bd5400; 04-16-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bd5400 View Post
      I would still be surprised if there was an issue of the sun being in your eyes though as the glass isn't far enough forward to seemingly cause that problem.
      I did experience a problem with glare on the center stack from sunlight coming through the rear window of a second-generation S60. I suspect the same thing could happen in the XC through the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by bd5400 View Post
      It's a 2008.

Since the XC60 has the pano roof and a power sliding "sunshade" I'm guessing it's not the same as the sliding cover on my car with a regular moonroof. I would still be surprised if there was an issue of the sun being in your eyes though as the glass isn't far enough forward to seemingly cause that problem.
      Both do the same function. Have tested the X3 with the panoramic sunroof. It also has a powered sliding cover. Same job as my 'manual' sliding cover in my V70XC. :-)
      DC
      V70XC - Cross Country Par Excellence!
      2002 V70XC-R Cross Country - Polarartic/Oak, ESR, 5AT Geartronic, leather package, factory towing kit, tinted windows and screens, tracker, sunglass holder, center console cup holder, nylon cargo barrier, Thule roof racks, R instruments cluster gauges.

I had an old 91 Mustang GT many moons ago with a pop up sun roof - no sliding cover - I added a couple of layers of dark tint to the already tinted glass to reduce heat.
      It worked pretty well for me.
      2006 Volvo S60 2.5T - The Older I Get, The Better I Was

I second the tint option. I'm going to put 30% Llumar CTX on my new S60 on all windows (not front) and the sunroof also. I have this on my Durango and love it.
      2012 S60 T5 Copper/Black Premium/Dynamic/Multimedia/Bi-Xenons/Dual Chrome Exhaust

I used to have a MINI Cooper S with the pano roof. After a while I stopped noticing the sun, but the car would get really, really hot inside if left outside on a hot summer day. A lot of the MINI guys (including some of my friends) get the pano roof glass tinted and cracking hasn't been an issue. I don't live in the hottest place on earth, but Georgia does get pretty hot in the summer time.
      2004 Volvo C70 LT
      2001 BMW 330Ci
      1987 Volkswagen Cabriolet