Best thing to do for longevity
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Best thing to do for longevity

My '07 R is 100% stock except that I had my axels packed at the advice of the dealer when I had both my spring seats replaced. I'm fine with the performance and appearance. I would however like to do something that could protect it mechanically and improve reliability. I see some people have replaced OE hoses with better quality and "heat wrapped" whatever that is. can anyone give me some pointers as to what I can do to lengthen it's lifespan? Thanks, guys.
      2013 XC60 R Design Electric Silver Premium Plus. LOVES!!!

Change all the fluids and remove the chrome pegs

Frequent oil changes with pure synthetic oils (no blends), with a Volvo OEM / Mahle Oil filter (no Fram crap) . Check coolant, and monitor temps. Avoid potholes and check your tire pressure.
      04 S60 R | MT | Titanium Grey | Nordkap ( mods & evolution & pictures )
      19x8.5 VMR V713 | RICA I | phuz DP | Quad Tip Exhaust | 05+ Conversion | Eibach | Sport Kit | Lots of stuff...

What's wrong with my pegs? I bought the car that way and I think they're cool.

Chrome pegs make me sad.

I am (mostly) in agreement with Ti-R (Grant) and DevolvR (Alfred).

Change drive line fluids (transmission, angle gear, AOC, rear differential) every 30-50k miles, flush brakes and coolant every 1-2 years, check/top-off battery cells as needed, replace cabin and air filter every year, replace oxygen sensors, timing belt and ignition coils every 60-80k miles, replace sparkplugs every 30-60k miles depending on tune/use, and drive it until the wheels fall off.

If you like the chrome pegs, then keep them. If not, save up your pennies and buy some wheels that you like.

Welcome to the forum!

- Jeff
      Last edited by soupandspoons; 04-15-2012 at 08:52 PM.
      04 VR Ti/Atacama MT

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-R View Post
      Chrome pegs make me sad.
      you not having chrome pegs is what makes you sad, once you get them you'll see your self in them how happy your are....

Quote Originally Posted by dougy View Post
      you not having chrome pegs is what makes you sad, once you get them you'll see your self in them how happy your are....
      gag. seeing your posts everyday makes me happy

gag. seeing your posts everyday makes me happy
      lolol..you're too much.

when you attend our local meet, you'll see what pegs should look like

...also, if youre on this forum, you're already prone to getting infected with the mod bug... just give it time
      2004 S60R 6MT Tuned by Autotech
      CLICK HERE for Build Thread

My other money pit: 2006 XC70 CLICK HERE

Change all the fluids and remove the chrome pegs
      Agreed
      2005 Volvo S60R MT Mystic Silver Metallic -Custom Tuned-KW V2 Suspension-All Powerflex Bushings Garret:|GTX3576R|TIAL:|QR Recirc Valve|MV-R 44mm EWG|Custom:|Intake|Full 3" Exhaust w/ Borla Xr-1|FMIC|UR:|Chassis Braces|AEM:|Water/Meth Kit 441cc Nozzle|5-0:|750cc Injectors|Audi:|B6 S4 MAF|Aeromotive:|340LPH FP|IPD:|Toe Rods-V70R Sways|BUILD THREAD

your pegs look perfect...don't listen to anybody...and if you don't like them I'll swap with you.

Quote Originally Posted by jamied68 View Post
      My '07 R is 100% stock except that I had my axels packed at the advice of the dealer when I had both my spring seats replaced. I'm fine with the performance and appearance. I would however like to do something that could protect it mechanically and improve reliability. I see some people have replaced OE hoses with better quality and "heat wrapped" whatever that is. can anyone give me some pointers as to what I can do to lengthen it's lifespan? Thanks, guys.
      I don't know if your car is a manual or geartronic - GT (automatic). The biggest problem with the GT R is the geartronic not having a dipstick and filter so you can't see the state of the transmission fluid. So if you do have it I would highly recommend a fluid flush. Its easy to do and if you aren't willing, or are not mechanically inclined I'm sure there are fellow forum members near you that would be more than happy to help a tall Swedish blonde. Lol.

My R has similar mileage and when I checked things like bushings such as the top engine mount I noticed it was ripped. So my best general advice besides regular fluid changes is to visually inspect the car just to see if anything looks out of whack ... and to read the forum ... you'll learn a ton!

Welcome to the R addiction :-)
      2006 S60R GT, OBX exhaust, ss braided brake lines, cross drilled rotors, RICA ECU upgrade, Snabb intake, KN air filter, Phuzz TCV, CFW winglets, ADR 19" rims with 12mm wheel spacers.

Never ever ever drive the car in sport or advanced... this will promote longevity of your struts and not cause higher pressures on the seals that can cause leakage.

Never ever ever launch the car, drift, slide sideways, take corners really hard, or do anything that has to do with turning the wheel and giving hard throttle... this promotes leakage of your angle gear

Those are the 2 most expensive items to replace on this car... and well that just took some fun out of it.

Seriously just take good care of it, it is a Volvo. If you dont mod it, you will be fine!

Now go have some fun
      2005 S60R - Magic Blue/Nordkap - 6MT - TINT - IMIV - IPD Boost Gauge - IPD Rkelly Intake - Autotech/Elevate Tune - races60r 3" DP - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - Engine Bar/Mount/Trans Poly Bushings - SNAAB Short Shifter - Viva CBV on its way, anyone want to help install it? http://s821.photobucket.com/albums/z...4-01134954.jpg

PCV system service. Timing belt with tensioner as well.

And don't mod it for more power Reliability/comfort mods only!
      2004 S60R 6-spd - Black/Nordkap, 18" Pegs, OEM BT, GROM, doesn't need anything else - 113k
      2006 BMW 330i - The new wife-mobile
      1997 BMW 740iL - The extra car.

i echo others in general

-watch that timing belt tensioner as you get up there in mileage. 85k and up.
      -fluid replacements, oil, brake fluid, transmission flush, haldex,etc don't believe the 'lifetime fluid'
      -DEM heat shield to protect that from excessive heat.
      -spark plugs every 60k and eventually coils
      -just monitoring oil consumptions/mileage over time will give you a good idea the health of engine.
      -imo springs, control arms, struts, just replace as needed, don't worry about preventative maint. on them.
      -let car cool down a couple minutes before turning it off after pushing it.

most importantly just enjoy the car and don't worry about it too much. don't beat on it either.

nothing wrong with chrome pegs, just keep them clean. most people don't like lots of chrome on these cars or chrome wheels in general but if you like them thats what counts.
      '05mt blk/atacama SR with a few mods
      '02 v.7 sti wagon-the winter beater
      '02 wrx stage 2 rebuild thread -sold
      "I mostly like to street race in school zones, simply because they show your trap speed on the digital display."-BroCo

Thanks guys, and I DO like my 18" chrome Pegs 'cause I haven't seen any others. I imagine though that it will be pricey to have them refinished. What about replacing my hoses with silicone hoses? And I really need to change the tranny (GT) fluid yearly? I will be relocating to a much colder climate next winter. Should I use 100% synthetic? What weight? Thanks for the welcome and please, in the future, be kind to me when I post something that seems ridiculous to you R veterans out there.

Turbo maintenance is by far, IMO, the most important thing. Like a coupla guys up there mentioned:

-Let car cool down a few minutes before shut down
      -Replace correct oil at correct intervals

Some other minor stuff would be to flush your fluids at the right miles.
      2006 Volvo S60 R | GT | Passion Red | ///S2R
      { COMFORT | SPORT | ADVANCED }
      "PRACTICE SAFE SEX, MAKE LOVE IN A VOLVO."

Yeah, use 100% synthetic, 5w-30 as recommended. I use Mobil 1 myself. Using fully synthetic should be what Volvo has in the car from the start since it helps with the life of the turbo.
      2006 S60R GT

No one has answered my question about the hoses. Should I upgrade to silicone? I'm loving the blue ones from Viva.

Quote Originally Posted by mgmoehn View Post
      Never ever ever drive the car in sport or advanced... this will promote longevity of your struts and not cause higher pressures on the seals that can cause leakage
      Wouldn't driving in advanced actually improve the shock and strut life? That way, they wouldn't be doing as much dampening, which is typically what wears them out.
      2005 V70R
      A sexy blend of Phuz, iPD and ViVA

Quote Originally Posted by Body Massage View Post
      Wouldn't driving in advanced actually improve the shock and strut life? That way, they wouldn't be doing as much dampening, which is typically what wears them out.
      Yes it improves shock and strut life (to some extent) but say hi to structural rigidity issues, bent tires and possibly a broken back when you drive around roads with surfaces like the moon...
      2006 Volvo S60 R | GT | Passion Red | ///S2R
      { COMFORT | SPORT | ADVANCED }
      "PRACTICE SAFE SEX, MAKE LOVE IN A VOLVO."