Heat shield for R engine bay??
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Heat shield for R engine bay??

So EST offers this for VW 2.0T models.

http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/mm5/me...de=VW-J-MK5-en

I was wondering how hard this would be to get a version made up for R's?

While it wouldn't be as effective as a turbo blanket at blocking the heat, it would be easier to install/uninstall, about 1/3 the price, and it would still help a fair amount in blocking out some of the heat.

What do you guys think? Worth the time/effort?

If EurosportTuning reads this, any chance you guys could do this?
      Volvo: Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object 2004 S60 R GT, Black Sapphire/Nordkap, 05+ center console and tails, UR braces top and bottom, lots of poly, 12mm front and 17mm rear custom spacers. 3" turboback exhaust (CNT/Elevate), silicone charge pipe, EST filter, RKelly intake (and lots more)

We would need a **** ton of that to reduce any heat inside the engine bay. Lol

With that in mind. Worth thinking about
      2005 Volvo S60R MT Mystic Silver Metallic -Nordkap:Custom Tuned KW V2 Suspension
      IPD:|Poly Mounts-V70R Sways|OBX:|Catless DP|Custom:|Exhaust w/ Borla Xr-1-Carputer-FMIC|UR:|Chassis Braces|Snabb:|Intake|AEM:|Water/Methanol Progressive Kit 415cc nozzle|SSQV:|BOV|ARD:|11 Blade HYBRID Wheel|5-0:|750cc Injectors|Audi:|B6 S4 MAF|BUILD THREAD

My initial idea is that maybe you could use the rear mounting bracket on the charge pipe and one or two existing bolts on the firewall as your mounting points. It's main purpose would be to "block" the turbo/exhaust heat from rising into the main engine bay. It wouldn't need to be that big since there's only so much room between the motor and the firewall.
      Volvo: Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object 2004 S60 R GT, Black Sapphire/Nordkap, 05+ center console and tails, UR braces top and bottom, lots of poly, 12mm front and 17mm rear custom spacers. 3" turboback exhaust (CNT/Elevate), silicone charge pipe, EST filter, RKelly intake (and lots more)

Quote Originally Posted by fallenfenix87 View Post
      My initial idea is that maybe you could use the rear mounting bracket on the charge pipe and one or two existing bolts on the firewall as your mounting points. It's main purpose would be to "block" the turbo/exhaust heat from rising into the main engine bay. It wouldn't need to be that big since there's only so much room between the motor and the firewall.
      Would be tricky, and require some serious thought. I'd be interested in something like that. I have access to metal machines. My roommate is always willing to come up with dimensions and cut whatever. I'll speak with him. Toss up a design or sketch BRAH
      2005 Volvo S60R MT Mystic Silver Metallic -Nordkap:Custom Tuned KW V2 Suspension
      IPD:|Poly Mounts-V70R Sways|OBX:|Catless DP|Custom:|Exhaust w/ Borla Xr-1-Carputer-FMIC|UR:|Chassis Braces|Snabb:|Intake|AEM:|Water/Methanol Progressive Kit 415cc nozzle|SSQV:|BOV|ARD:|11 Blade HYBRID Wheel|5-0:|750cc Injectors|Audi:|B6 S4 MAF|BUILD THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by crazyace1104 View Post
      Would be tricky, and require some serious thought. I'd be interested in something like that. I have access to metal machines. My roommate is always willing to come up with dimensions and cut whatever. I'll speak with him. Toss up a design or sketch BRAH
      Now I'll have to go find some cardboard to slice up!

What exactly would this be doing? I understand that it's designed to prevent hot air from near the exhaust manifold from coming into the engine bay, but when you're at speed the hot air behind your engine and next to your turbo isn't stagnant, it moves towards the rear of the car. Would this only help keep intake temperatures down when idling at a stop light? And another question, would the metal eventually heat up to be nearly as hot as the air around the turbo itself and act as a medium to transfer that heat to the air resting over the top of it and throughout the rest of the engine bay?...

I don't think it would do much, but hey if someone makes this and comes back with data to back it up i'll gladly eat my own socks and make one myself
      2004 Volvo S60R Silver/Nordkap 6spd | OEM Sport Kit | RICA Stage II+ | OBX Full Exhaust | Snabb Intake + Shifter | FMIC | Forge CBV | Spec SM Flywheel | 14.3s @ 100mph
      2008 Yamaha YZF-R1 10.1 @ 144mph

If you remove the engine bay trim at the wind shield that would help reducing heat under the engine bay.
      07 S60R GT Magic Blue/ Nap/ EST exhaust/ OBX Downpipe/ Phuzzy TCV/ K&N Air Filter/ Rica stage II/ Work 11R 18X8.5

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan1235 View Post
      What exactly would this be doing? I understand that it's designed to prevent hot air from near the exhaust manifold from coming into the engine bay, but when you're at speed the hot air behind your engine and next to your turbo isn't stagnant, it moves towards the rear of the car. Would this only help keep intake temperatures down when idling at a stop light? And another question, would the metal eventually heat up to be nearly as hot as the air around the turbo itself and act as a medium to transfer that heat to the air resting over the top of it and throughout the rest of the engine bay?...

I don't think it would do much, but hey if someone makes this and comes back with data to back it up i'll gladly eat my own socks and make one myself
      I saw it offered for the VW and said, why couldn't something like this be used on our cars? I'm not saying everything sold to car enthusiasts will actually make a difference, but I think this one might if done properly.

While moving will help evacuate the convectional heat from the manifold/turbo, it would not stop the radiant heat from the engine. The metal plate would actually reflect much of that heat back down under the car [think of a franklin stove or a fireplace radiator].

Just so there's no confusion, I'm asking if this would work and help the car, or if it's a wasted or negligible effort. Turbo blanket would be more effective, I think, but they're like $100 or so. A heat shield may be sufficient to get lower temps. A combo of blanket and heat shield would be doubly effective, I would think.