IPD sway bar
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Thread: IPD sway bar

IPD sway bar

Has anybody installed the IPD rear sway bar? Any improvements? I already have the heico suspension kit.
      2012 S60 T5 Silver Metallic, Multimedia Package, Premium Package, PCC, Rear Spoiler, Roof Spoiler, K&N Air Filter, Cargo Nets, Sport Pedals, Blackout Front Grill, Blackout Sport Décor Frame, Color Match Front Mudflaps, Rdesign Strut Brace. Heico sport suspension (springs & shocks), Heico wheels 18x8 Volution "V" Metallic Anthracite, 245/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

Quote Originally Posted by elgallo View Post
      Has anybody installed the IPD rear sway bar? Any improvements? I already have the heico suspension kit.

Yep, I installed it at the end of February. As you would expect, it is a very simple bolt-on upgrade. The bar itself does a good job flatting out the car when you push it through a turn. However, the bar utilizes the stock endlink bushings which are fairly soft. I upgraded to poly endlink bushings and this made a big difference. The car is now, nice and flat through the turns. IPD is supposed to be releasing their own HD rear endlink kit this month that will have poly bushings included.
      2011 S60 T6 AWD - Ember Black, Off Black, Climate, Premium, Technology and Multimedia packages, PCC, Polestar, Sport Pedals, Load Bars/Bike Racks, Cargo Mat/Nets, R-Design Rear Diffuser, Strut Tower Brace, Springs and shocks, IPD Rear Swaybar, 50% Tint, LED Conversion
      2006 V50 T5 AWD - Barrent's Blue, Black Interior, Premium and Climate packages, IPD Skidplate, IPD HD Endlinks, Viva Rear Swaybar, EST Strut Tower Brace, LED Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by seaton463 View Post
      Yep, I installed it at the end of February. As you would expect, it is a very simple bolt-on upgrade. The bar itself does a good job flatting out the car when you push it through a turn. However, the bar utilizes the stock endlink bushings which are fairly soft. I upgraded to poly endlink bushings and this made a big difference. The car is now, nice and flat through the turns. IPD is supposed to be releasing their own HD rear endlink kit this month that will have poly bushings included.
      Is the sway bar different from the T6 AWD to the T5 FWD? They told me at IPD that my vehicle (S60 T5 FWD) has a ball and socket style end link and there is no need for bushing on them. Is that correct?
      2012 S60 T5 Silver Metallic, Multimedia Package, Premium Package, PCC, Rear Spoiler, Roof Spoiler, K&N Air Filter, Cargo Nets, Sport Pedals, Blackout Front Grill, Blackout Sport Décor Frame, Color Match Front Mudflaps, Rdesign Strut Brace. Heico sport suspension (springs & shocks), Heico wheels 18x8 Volution "V" Metallic Anthracite, 245/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

I have not physically confirmed it on a T5, but from what I have seen on parts websites, the T6 and T5 have the same swaybar design. IPD's website and install instructions also indicate there is only one endlink design for the S60.

The endlinks have a lower ball and socket, but use a traditional post and bushing mount at the top (i.e., to connect to the swaybar). The bushings that I mentioned replacing are for the upper connection to the swaybar. IPD's statement is correct, you do not "need" to replace these bushings to install the swaybar. You can use the stock bushings. However, you will get more roll control if you do replace them with poly. Otherwise, the softer stock bushings must first be compressed before you "activate" the bar. IPD currently does not sell the bushings, but in response to my review of the S60 swaybar on their website, IPD has indicated that they are coming out with an HD rear endlink this month, and that the HD rear endlink will include the same type of bushings that I used.
      2011 S60 T6 AWD - Ember Black, Off Black, Climate, Premium, Technology and Multimedia packages, PCC, Polestar, Sport Pedals, Load Bars/Bike Racks, Cargo Mat/Nets, R-Design Rear Diffuser, Strut Tower Brace, Springs and shocks, IPD Rear Swaybar, 50% Tint, LED Conversion
      2006 V50 T5 AWD - Barrent's Blue, Black Interior, Premium and Climate packages, IPD Skidplate, IPD HD Endlinks, Viva Rear Swaybar, EST Strut Tower Brace, LED Conversion

I have not physically confirmed it on a T5, but from what I have seen on parts websites, the T6 and T5 have the same swaybar design. IPD's website and install instructions also indicate there is only one endlink design for the S60.

The endlinks have a lower ball and socket, but use a traditional post and bushing mount at the top (i.e., to connect to the swaybar). The bushings that I mentioned replacing are for the upper connection to the swaybar. IPD's statement is correct, you do not "need" to replace these bushings to install the swaybar. You can use the stock bushings. However, you will get more roll control if you do replace them with poly. Otherwise, the softer stock bushings must first be compressed before you "activate" the bar. IPD currently does not sell the bushings, but in response to my review of the S60 swaybar on their website, IPD has indicated that they are coming out with an HD rear endlink this month, and that the HD rear endlink will include the same type of bushings that I used.
      seaton463: Have you look into this upgrade for the front suspension? They are the front sway bar endlinks. Will the handling improve with these? They only offer the endlinks not the sway bar.

http://www.ipdusa.com/prodtype.asp?C...cordPosition=0
      Last edited by Guest; 04-30-2012 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elgallo View Post
      seaton463: Have you look into this upgrade for the front suspension? They are the front sway bar endlinks. Will the handling improve with these? They only offer the endlinks not the sway bar.

http://www.ipdusa.com/prodtype.asp?C...cordPosition=0

Yep. I had them on my car for about 4 months last summer before I added the R-design springs. I also have them on my V50. The endlinks will firm up the front end a little, but they are not nearly as noticeable as a swaybar upgrade. I took them off the S60 when the R-design springs went in because they are slightly too long for the height of the car and pre-load the front swaybar. I assume this problem will be exaggerated with the Heico suspension kit. I am likely going to pick up a pair of TKi Motorsports adjustable endlinks this summer to replace the stock endlinks.

Just as a side note, some folks complain about the durability of the IPD HD endlinks. I also had a problem with them failing after about 12-18 months on the V50. IPD has since redesigned them. The pair I have in the V50 (same part number as what is offered for the S60) are still going after 24 months without any durability problems.

Yep. I had them on my car for about 4 months last summer before I added the R-design springs. I also have them on my V50. The endlinks will firm up the front end a little, but they are not nearly as noticeable as a swaybar upgrade. I took them off the S60 when the R-design springs went in because they are slightly too long for the height of the car and pre-load the front swaybar. I assume this problem will be exaggerated with the Heico suspension kit. I am likely going to pick up a pair of TKi Motorsports adjustable endlinks this summer to replace the stock endlinks.

Just as a side note, some folks complain about the durability of the IPD HD endlinks. I also had a problem with them failing after about 12-18 months on the V50. IPD has since redesigned them. The pair I have in the V50 (same part number as what is offered for the S60) are still going after 24 months without any durability problems.
      So, if I have the Heico kit these endlinks will not work?

They should still fit on the car, but they are technically slightly too long for the car.

I should probably correct my earlier statement as well. They do not create pre-loading since both endlinks are the same length.

seaton463; How is the energy suspension end links and the ipd sway bar so far? Any problems? I'm thinking of finally doing this install.