Anything to know about installing new DP & exhaust? +kb ;)
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Anything to know about installing new DP & exhaust? +kb ;)

Hey guys so I'm making a jump from my stage 0 to 2.
      Which means I'll be pulling off my stock down pipe and exhaust- is there anything I should know or do so this goes smoothly? I'm going to hit all the bolts a head of time with PB blaster to try to make em easier to remove.

Anything else I should do/know?

Sweet jesus!
      2004 S60 R GT Pantymelter (Passion) Red/Gobi ARD Carbon tune. iPd DP, Custom 3" Heico exhaust, Elevate tip. CX FMIC. VIVA CBV. iPd TCV 2. iPd Poly torque mount. iPd B4 servo update. iPd Poly stabilizer kit. iPd Poly Engine mount. Elevate AMS. iPd HD end links. iPd HD spring seats. LED conversion, DDM 6000K HID fogs and heads. V1. GROM iOS+BT. Waiting to install: TME Rear springs.

Use air tools if possible, and be prepared as you may have to cut flange bolts from DP to stock exhaust for removal.
      Last edited by DragoSR; 04-26-2012 at 05:30 PM.
      '04 SR M66, Black Sapph, Gobi, ITG air filter, Snabb Intake, Snabb short shifter, Eibach springs, OBX DP, IPD Oval CBE, IPD Throttle Inlet Kit, ARD TCV/HD Coils, ARD Tune, Turbosmart CBV, IPD UPM, Custom FMIC, Custom CAP, Full aluminum radiator, H&R 5mm F/R
      '05 XC90 2.5, Stock the way wifey likes it
      '99 V70 T5, my brother is beating this car to death

Quote Originally Posted by DragoSR View Post
      Use air tools if possible, and be prepared as you may have to cut flange bolts from DP to stock exhaust for removal.
      Cut them because of rust? or Just because they'll be impossible. And if I do cut them what should I replace em with?
      2004 S60 R GT Pantymelter (Passion) Red/Gobi ARD Carbon tune. iPd DP, Custom 3" Heico exhaust, Elevate tip. CX FMIC. VIVA CBV. iPd TCV 2. iPd Poly torque mount. iPd B4 servo update. iPd Poly stabilizer kit. iPd Poly Engine mount. Elevate AMS. iPd HD end links. iPd HD spring seats. LED conversion, DDM 6000K HID fogs and heads. V1. GROM iOS+BT. Waiting to install: TME Rear springs.

There are A LOT of recent threads on how to do this... impact tools, PB, a torch, maybe an o2 spacer if you get a CEL, use OEM gaskets, new hardware, have fun(?)

Thanks for the KB tho
      2006 S60R MT //Sapphicap//Sport_Premium_Climate_Convenience//18" OZ Ultraleggeras//TME Springs//phMIC//Viva SM Flywheel//OBX DP//Ipd: Boost Gauge & Poly Upper Engine + Trans Mount//Bob Vila//EST Exhaust//Fitzy Gauge Pod//

1999 Chevy Suburban. Beastly.

^ Rust, corrosion, impossible... all of these. Most aftermarket cat-backs include DP flange bolt replacements.
      '04 SR M66, Black Sapph, Gobi, ITG air filter, Snabb Intake, Snabb short shifter, Eibach springs, OBX DP, IPD Oval CBE, IPD Throttle Inlet Kit, ARD TCV/HD Coils, ARD Tune, Turbosmart CBV, IPD UPM, Custom FMIC, Custom CAP, Full aluminum radiator, H&R 5mm F/R
      '05 XC90 2.5, Stock the way wifey likes it
      '99 V70 T5, my brother is beating this car to death

Quote Originally Posted by DragoSR View Post
      ^ Rust, corrosion, impossible... all of these. Most aftermarket cat-backs include DP flange bolt replacements.
      TONS of PB are needed however chances are, if you take the thing off as much as me...You will need to replace some Turbo studs....well at least I will the next time I take her apart. When replacing nuts and bolts STAY AWAY FROM Stainless and Copper...they WILL gall and you will be angry. Steel Flanged is where it's at as Titanium for a nut would retard your spending for a week or so.
      2004 S60R MT Titanium Gray w/ Gobi Interior | MONSTROUS 20PSI Tune by HiltonTuning | CXRACING: FMIC | AEM & DevilsOwn: Meth Injection Hybrid | ARD: 11 Blade | OBX: Downpipe| Catback: CUSTOM BUILT | Snabb: Intake Pipe | ViVA: UR Braces, CBV(FORGE), Shifter Bushings | TWM: M1 Abrams, Short Shifter | IPD: VR TS Sways, U/L Poly Mounts, Strut Bar Poly, Eibachs | H&R: 10mm/15mm | Swedish Boost Mafia | AMSOIL Authorized Dealer

I installed my obx yesterday...the bolts were by far the worst... then the o2 sensor wouldn't come out even after heating it up and... had to gringer the thing out of the old dp and then dremel the fitting off.
      06 SR Magic Blue/Atacama. GSX FMIC, OBX 3" Catless, R-Kelly, K&N, Forge CBV, Snabb Intake, ShortShift and Bezels, IPD HDTCV, Poly LCA, SubInserts, Upper Engine and Trans,IPD R Vent Boost Gauge, JRL mod, Resonator Delete, HID 6000k Fogs, LED interior conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick101 View Post
      I installed my obx yesterday...the bolts were by far the worst... then the o2 sensor wouldn't come out even after heating it up and... had to gringer the thing out of the old dp and then dremel the fitting off.
      Best $15 bucks I have ever spent has been on a proper O2 Socket...stuck it right on the air wrench and that bitch whined and wailed and came right out. They rust in TIGHT.
      2004 S60R MT Titanium Gray w/ Gobi Interior | MONSTROUS 20PSI Tune by HiltonTuning | CXRACING: FMIC | AEM & DevilsOwn: Meth Injection Hybrid | ARD: 11 Blade | OBX: Downpipe| Catback: CUSTOM BUILT | Snabb: Intake Pipe | ViVA: UR Braces, CBV(FORGE), Shifter Bushings | TWM: M1 Abrams, Short Shifter | IPD: VR TS Sways, U/L Poly Mounts, Strut Bar Poly, Eibachs | H&R: 10mm/15mm | Swedish Boost Mafia | AMSOIL Authorized Dealer

This lucky bastard just said he took off the DP nuts in 30 minutes. SOB!
      1998 S70 GLT - Sold
      1999 V70XC - Sold

1997 850 GLT - Daily Driver Check It Out
      2007 S60R - - Check It Out -285 awhp/305 ft-lb
      Sometimes I sing too

Quote Originally Posted by prienzo View Post
      This lucky bastard just said he took off the DP nuts in 30 minutes. SOB!
      Ummmm...I let mine sit in PB for like 2 days went under stripped two, once came right off, then the other two studs actually loosened and that's how I did it. haha 3 hours total.

I had a buddy PB blast em, maybe 2 days ago. Just did a test run to see if I could get them off... 30 minutes later, I'm back on my couch... smiling.

Quote Originally Posted by nuccio View Post
      I had a buddy PB blast em, maybe 2 days ago. Just did a test run to see if I could get them off... 30 minutes later, I'm back on my couch... smiling.
      Haha I replaced mine with brandy new Shiney Steel Flange nuts....come off like a convict running from the PO PO's.

Hopefully we get the same results with my dp
      04 S60R Silver/Atacama GT Sport, Climate
      IPD CAI, DP, Customized Heico Exhaust
      http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/DSC_0067.jpg

im planning on doing the OBX DP as well...and actually, i was wondering...Is it required to have a software tune when upgrading the DP? I already have the OBX cat back with stock tune and stock DP, but now i want to do the OBX DP as well...
      2007 S60 R >> Nordkap Int./Magic Blue Ext. >> 6 Spd GT >> OEM 18" and Sideskirts >> K&N Air Filter >> IPD USA SPEC Ipod Integration >> Elevate Front Bumper w/ Silver Grills and Oznium LED Flex Strips >> Viva FMIC Upgrade >> Snabb Air Intake >> Viva CBV >> OBX Cat-Back Exhaust w/resonator >> New 125mm Volvo Emblem >> GlowShift Boost Gauge >> IPD HD R Coil Packs

PB Blaster the sh*t out of all the bolts 2 weeks prior to installation..
      2006 Volvo S60 R | GT | Passion Red | ///S2R
      { COMFORT | SPORT | ADVANCED }
      "PRACTICE SAFE SEX, MAKE LOVE IN A VOLVO."

Quote Originally Posted by CandyChrome View Post
      im planning on doing the OBX DP as well...and actually, i was wondering...Is it required to have a software tune when upgrading the DP? I already have the OBX cat back with stock tune and stock DP, but now i want to do the OBX DP as well...
      Yeah I wondered the same thing. I'm waiting in the ARD tunes to come out- hopefully in a week or so.

I sprayed my bolts down the night before I took my car up to Phuz for him to install the DP and FMIC. He said he has never had DP bolts come off so easily. Maybe the drive helped? He installed both the FMIC and DP in like 5 hours. Maybe it was luck? Who knows?
      2004 S60R Titanium/Atacama-Spec SM Flywheel, Phuz DP & FMIC, IPD HD TCV, UR F/R Strut Tower Brace, IPD UEM Bushing, IPD LTM. On-the-shelf-UR pulley, UR Lower F&R Braces, IPD HD Front Endlinks, Takspeed Titanium shims, Takspeed SS Brake lines, Takspeed R Pen
      2009 XC90 V8 RDesign Titanium-Dimpled/Slotted Rotors, SS Brake lines, Rear R Calipers (On-Shelf wont fit with rims)

Yeah I wondered the same thing. I'm waiting in the ARD tunes to come out- hopefully in a week or so.
      fine to run for a while, safer to have tune in case the ecu can't cope and you end up running lean. people have run with dp/catback/no tune for a long time with no noticeable effects.
      '05mt blk/atacama SR with a few mods
      '02 v.7 sti wagon-the winter beater
      '02 wrx stage 2 rebuild thread -sold
      "I mostly like to street race in school zones, simply because they show your trap speed on the digital display."-BroCo

My nuts came off very easily with a box end ratchet. The advantage of nut and stud design.
      As others have said, get an O2 wrench.
      As you will be replacing the complete exhaust system, don't worry about the DP to exhaust bolts, cut them off.
      Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****, what a ride!"

Two points come to mind, and I am surprised no one brought them up.

By replacing the exhaust and DP, you reduce the back pressure and you can run the engine pretty lean.

You might consider replacing the injectors and/or having a tune applied.

I believe it isn't immediately critical, the car can be run and driven for some time for for long-term usage this would be better.
      Would anyone care to weigh in on the topic?

Andres

yea, me neither, i dont think that running rich/lean has anything to do with your exhaust pipe. It mainly pertains to your full injectors, O2 sensor read back, and the MAF. Those are the critical components to determining the best air/fuel mixture...The exhaust is just exhaust...
      2007 S60 R >> Nordkap Int./Magic Blue Ext. >> 6 Spd GT >> OEM 18" and Sideskirts >> K&N Air Filter >> IPD USA SPEC Ipod Integration >> Elevate Front Bumper w/ Silver Grills and Oznium LED Flex Strips >> Viva FMIC Upgrade >> Snabb Air Intake >> Viva CBV >> OBX Cat-Back Exhaust w/resonator >> New 125mm Volvo Emblem >> GlowShift Boost Gauge >> IPD HD R Coil Packs

Quote Originally Posted by acools View Post
      Two points come to mind, and I am surprised no one brought them up.

By replacing the exhaust and DP, you reduce the back pressure and you can run the engine pretty lean.

You might consider replacing the injectors and/or having a tune applied.

I believe it isn't immediately critical, the car can be run and driven for some time for for long-term usage this would be better.
      Would anyone care to weigh in on the topic?

Andres
      +1 i agree, thats what i meant above.

Quote Originally Posted by atacamaR View Post
      fine to run for a while, safer to have tune in case the ecu can't cope and you end up running lean. people have run with dp/catback/no tune for a long time with no noticeable effects.
      "I mostly like to street race in school zones, simply because they show your trap speed on the digital display."-BroCo

yea, me neither, i dont think that running rich/lean has anything to do with your exhaust pipe. It mainly pertains to your full injectors, O2 sensor read back, and the MAF. Those are the critical components to determining the best air/fuel mixture...The exhaust is just exhaust...
      i dunno, the engine is just a giant pump, if you reduce back pressure and are pushing more through the system and the ecu can't account for it by pushing enough fuel you will lean out. yes, the sensors/maf will detect this but if the stock tune can't adjust accordingly is where the risk comes. Can the stock ecu account-probably, i just wouldn't run it long term. just get the tune and the power increase.

Quote Originally Posted by atacamaR View Post
      i dunno, the engine is just a giant pump, if you reduce back pressure and are pushing more through the system and the ecu can't account for it by pushing enough fuel you will lean out. yes, the sensors/maf will detect this but if the stock tune can't adjust accordingly is where the risk comes. Can the stock ecu account-probably, i just wouldn't run it long term. just get the tune and the power increase.
      but how does the ECU know about back pressure tho?

She has such a nice butt+body my jaw just hit my desk.
      05 S60R MT,Viva Hybrid, Enem Y21 Cams, Custom Tune, 750cc EV14's, Devils Own Progressive injection, IPD catless DP, Euro Sport CB W Res Del, PHMIC, IPD air box, Forge HD CBV & HKS SSQV 4, Poly mounts, Snabb intake, IP plasma coils, Snabb short throw. Viva SMF, Spec Stage 3 +. GB Forgestar F-14's, FB Enkei RSF5's, Eibach's, Ur Braces, Vr sways, IPD toe bars, Camber kit. Race fuel Engine build and custom Snail soon

Amazing what you can do with photoshop huh?
      2004 S60R Titanium/Atacama-Spec SM Flywheel, Phuz DP & FMIC, IPD HD TCV, UR F/R Strut Tower Brace, IPD UEM Bushing, IPD LTM. On-the-shelf-UR pulley, UR Lower F&R Braces, IPD HD Front Endlinks, Takspeed Titanium shims, Takspeed SS Brake lines, Takspeed R Pen
      2009 XC90 V8 RDesign Titanium-Dimpled/Slotted Rotors, SS Brake lines, Rear R Calipers (On-Shelf wont fit with rims)

Quote Originally Posted by dave_n_ruth View Post
      Amazing what you can do with photoshop huh?
      Yes it is.
      05 S60R MT,Viva Hybrid, Enem Y21 Cams, Custom Tune, 750cc EV14's, Devils Own Progressive injection, IPD catless DP, Euro Sport CB W Res Del, PHMIC, IPD air box, Forge HD CBV & HKS SSQV 4, Poly mounts, Snabb intake, IP plasma coils, Snabb short throw. Viva SMF, Spec Stage 3 +. GB Forgestar F-14's, FB Enkei RSF5's, Eibach's, Ur Braces, Vr sways, IPD toe bars, Camber kit. Race fuel Engine build and custom Snail soon

but how does the ECU know about back pressure tho?
      It doesn't really know about backpressure as a measurement if you are thinking that. It's just with less back pressure the turbo is able to move more exhaust gasses out which translates to more air coming in so fuel/air ratios will change. The ecu will then need to adjust to keep from running lean.

The goal is to get as much air in/out as efficiently thus we upgrade exhaust to be freer flowing. Same thing with intakes.
      Last edited by atacamaR; 04-27-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Senior Member 850arrrsaylikepirate's Avatar
      Sweet jesus!
      That's not KB.
      2006 S60R - Black Sapphire~Nordkap~GT~iPd Track Spec Sways~TME Springs~TME DP-Exhaust~Bell FMIC~iMIV~E-Codes
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD - aka the kiddo hauler
      1997 4x4 Nissan - Fook mi this thing is slow

Quote Originally Posted by 850arrrsaylikepirate View Post
      That's not KB.
      I sure hope he doesn't argue with the authority around here...

Quote Originally Posted by Our R View Post
      My nuts came off very easily with a box end ratchet. The advantage of nut and stud design.
      My nuts came off when I saw that photo.
      '04 S60 R MT | Black Sapphire/Gobi | Sport Kit (no winglets) | 18" Pegs | R Kelly Intake | ARD Carbon Tune | Eibachs | IPD Sways & HD Endlinks | H&R Spacers | Strut Bar Conversion