How screwed am I?? (with pic)
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
    Results 1 to 29 of 29
    1. #1
      Junior Member hamburgerpimp's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      Location
      Morgan Hill C.A.
      Posts
      77

      How screwed am I?? (with pic)





      Found this crack in turbo housing (about 12oclock position) while installing EST down pipe. No drivability problems , but can't imagine its ok.
      2004 S60R. MT. Ipd strut bar conversion, Viva cbv, IPD gen two tcv, Ipd poly engine and Trans mounts, SNABB intake pipe, EST down pipe, IPD oval tube catback , LED conversion, IPD track spec sways, Ultra racing trunk and upper braces, Drilled stop tech rotors, Goodridge S/S lines,IPD drop in intercooler, IPd throttle inlet pipe, R kelly intake, Viva single vent pod, Prosport boost guage

    2. #2
      Junior Member maxenar's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2011
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      998
      Why is your turbo all powdered up?
      2006 Volvo S60 R | GT | Passion Red | ///S2R
      { COMFORT | SPORT | ADVANCED }
      "PRACTICE SAFE SEX, MAKE LOVE IN A VOLVO."

    3. #3
      Junior Member BrotherMatt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      377
      Ouch, and could the discoloration indicate that you're running a bit lean?
      2005 S60R GT

    4. #4
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2012
      Location
      Seattle, WA
      Posts
      233
      Were you running a lot of fuel additives like octane booster or cleaners? Are you tuned? If so with who?

    5. #5
      Junior Member hamburgerpimp's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      Location
      Morgan Hill C.A.
      Posts
      77
      Stock tune, maybe sulfur rich california gas? I use 91 octane 76 gas usually. No lean codes or anything. Car does get driven pretty hard and has about 140k . I purchased with 120k and have done a very detailed stage 0 when I bought it. No problems since then.
      2004 S60R. MT. Ipd strut bar conversion, Viva cbv, IPD gen two tcv, Ipd poly engine and Trans mounts, SNABB intake pipe, EST down pipe, IPD oval tube catback , LED conversion, IPD track spec sways, Ultra racing trunk and upper braces, Drilled stop tech rotors, Goodridge S/S lines,IPD drop in intercooler, IPd throttle inlet pipe, R kelly intake, Viva single vent pod, Prosport boost guage

    6. #6

    7. #7
      Junior Member michaelc's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2007
      Location
      San Francisco, CA
      Posts
      914
      Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerpimp View Post
      Stock tune, maybe sulfur rich california gas? I use 91 octane 76 gas usually. No lean codes or anything. Car does get driven pretty hard and has about 140k . I purchased with 120k and have done a very detailed stage 0 when I bought it. No problems since then.
      Granted you've got 4x the miles on yours than I do, but I didn't have the discoloration on mine last I got a look at it. I've only had CA gas (with the exception of some European gas early on).
      2007 S60R MT::Ti-Nordkap
      RICA Stage II::TME DP/Exhaust::PhMIC::IPD Track Spec Sways::TME Springs::GiroDisc 2-piece rotors::Kelly/Lill CAI

    8. #8
      YOu're looking at the signs of a lean engine, similar to the color you would get on a spark plug if you're running lean. I suggest you take a look at certain sensors ie. Oxygen, MAF, etc. Sensors that have to do with air/fuel mixture.

      As for your turbo, if it's working correctly and boosting correctly don't worry about it until you do start to notice however, keep the funds readily available. I saw a K24 on ebay for like $500, install yourself and WHABAMM you just saved yourself a grand.

      SCHWING!

      ~Muffin Prince
      2004 S60R MT Titanium Gray w/ Gobi Interior | MONSTROUS Stage Bro 20PSI Tune by HiltonTuning | CXRACING: FMIC | AEM & DevilsOwn: Meth Injection Hybrid | ARD: 11 Blade | OBX: Downpipe| Catback: CUSTOM BUILT | Snabb: Intake Pipe | ViVA: UR Braces, CBV(FORGE), Shifter Bushings | TWM: M1 Abrams, Short Shifter | IPD: VR TS Sways, U/L Poly Mounts, Strut Bar Poly, Eibachs | H&R: 10mm/15mm | Swedish Boost Mafia | AMSOIL Authorized Dealer

    9. #9
      Junior Member hamburgerpimp's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      Location
      Morgan Hill C.A.
      Posts
      77
      I guess what I'm curious about is what will happen if I just leave it . Car runs great and has pleanty of power. I have no idea how long the crack has been there , would never have known if I didn't just do downpipe . Color could be from the fact the car burns about a quart of oil every 3k?
      2004 S60R. MT. Ipd strut bar conversion, Viva cbv, IPD gen two tcv, Ipd poly engine and Trans mounts, SNABB intake pipe, EST down pipe, IPD oval tube catback , LED conversion, IPD track spec sways, Ultra racing trunk and upper braces, Drilled stop tech rotors, Goodridge S/S lines,IPD drop in intercooler, IPd throttle inlet pipe, R kelly intake, Viva single vent pod, Prosport boost guage

    10. #10
      Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerpimp View Post
      I guess what I'm curious about is what will happen if I just leave it . Car runs great and has pleanty of power. I have no idea how long the crack has been there , would never have known if I didn't just do downpipe . Color could be from the fact the car burns about a quart of oil every 3k?
      Oil burning is normal at about a quart every 3-4k or so, however mine's the same and I do not see any color If you leave it....it will break it will crack/explode/etc. I would leave it until it blew up all over my engine causing magnitudes of issues though. Then fix it....but that's just how I roll.
      2004 S60R MT Titanium Gray w/ Gobi Interior | MONSTROUS Stage Bro 20PSI Tune by HiltonTuning | CXRACING: FMIC | AEM & DevilsOwn: Meth Injection Hybrid | ARD: 11 Blade | OBX: Downpipe| Catback: CUSTOM BUILT | Snabb: Intake Pipe | ViVA: UR Braces, CBV(FORGE), Shifter Bushings | TWM: M1 Abrams, Short Shifter | IPD: VR TS Sways, U/L Poly Mounts, Strut Bar Poly, Eibachs | H&R: 10mm/15mm | Swedish Boost Mafia | AMSOIL Authorized Dealer

    11. #11
      Junior Member hamburgerpimp's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      Location
      Morgan Hill C.A.
      Posts
      77
      Sweet , that's the answer I was looking for , color in this pic looks similar to mine as well. I stuck my IPhone right up in there with flash on so that's why it looks pretty white inside, was more like grey ish .
      2004 S60R. MT. Ipd strut bar conversion, Viva cbv, IPD gen two tcv, Ipd poly engine and Trans mounts, SNABB intake pipe, EST down pipe, IPD oval tube catback , LED conversion, IPD track spec sways, Ultra racing trunk and upper braces, Drilled stop tech rotors, Goodridge S/S lines,IPD drop in intercooler, IPd throttle inlet pipe, R kelly intake, Viva single vent pod, Prosport boost guage

    12. #12
      Member stormchasin_racin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Logan Utah, (Sep 2010 -)
      Posts
      1,235
      Quote Originally Posted by petew View Post


      click on photo to see hairline crack


      Everbody has a crack in that place -- but you only find out when you look.

      Not to worry -- it doesn't effect performance ...
      what makes that crack happen to everyone?
      2005 Passion Red/Gobi S60R 6MT w/ climate package: Custom 3" Tommy Motorsports downpipe w/ QTP E-cutout | Custom 3" Magnaflow Catback | K&N | Airbox window mod | CUST|OM|PAINT | iPD 1st gen boost gauge/pod | iPD Upper Engine mount & Lower Trans mount | Silicon hoses | Viva HD CBV | SNABB T.I.P.| ..................and a big grinning meteorologist in the driver's seat.

    13. #13
      Quote Originally Posted by stormchasin_racin View Post
      what makes that crack happen to everyone?
      Why were green monkeys the first to contract AIDS...Who knows?
      2004 S60R MT Titanium Gray w/ Gobi Interior | MONSTROUS Stage Bro 20PSI Tune by HiltonTuning | CXRACING: FMIC | AEM & DevilsOwn: Meth Injection Hybrid | ARD: 11 Blade | OBX: Downpipe| Catback: CUSTOM BUILT | Snabb: Intake Pipe | ViVA: UR Braces, CBV(FORGE), Shifter Bushings | TWM: M1 Abrams, Short Shifter | IPD: VR TS Sways, U/L Poly Mounts, Strut Bar Poly, Eibachs | H&R: 10mm/15mm | Swedish Boost Mafia | AMSOIL Authorized Dealer

    14. #14
      Member atacamaR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2008
      Location
      anoka, mn
      Posts
      3,952
      Everyone doesn't have cracks. Mine at 70k didn't. Mine had a bit of white but not excessive. My wrx was the same. I think some is perfectly normal unless you have cracks, excessive amount, or other indications of it being lean. I've Read gas with higher ethanol content/ additives in...

      Though cracks in this case might indicate he is actually running lean.

      I'd expect this more on a tuned car or modified say with dp/exhaust without tune.

      My 2 cents
      Last edited by atacamaR; 04-26-2012 at 07:49 PM.
      '05mt blk/atacama SR with a few mods
      '02 v.7 sti wagon-the winter beater
      '02 wrx stage 2 rebuild thread -sold
      "I mostly like to street race in school zones, simply because they show your trap speed on the digital display."-BroCo

    15. #15
      Member MountainR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Location
      Seattle and Sun Valley
      Posts
      1,790
      This makes me wish I had inspected my turbo when I had the DP off... Oh well.
      2006 S60R MT //Sapphicap//Sport_Premium_Climate_Convenience//18" OZ Ultraleggeras//TME Springs//phMIC//Viva SM Flywheel//OBX DP//Ipd: Boost Gauge & Poly Upper Engine + Trans Mount//Bob Vila//EST Exhaust//Fitzy Gauge Pod//

      1999 Chevy Suburban. Beastly.

    16. #16
      Send it to Cherry Turbo's, he's awesome.

      http://www.cherryturbos.com/

    17. #17
      Member stormchasin_racin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Logan Utah, (Sep 2010 -)
      Posts
      1,235
      Quote Originally Posted by atacamaR View Post
      Everyone doesn't have cracks. Mine at 70k didn't. Mine had a bit of white but not excessive. My wrx was the same. I think some is perfectly normal unless you have cracks, excessive amount, or other indications of it being lean. I've Read gas with higher ethanol content/ additives in...

      Though cracks in this case might indicate he is actually running lean.

      I'd expect this more on a tuned car or modified say with dp/exhaust without tune.

      My 2 cents
      Are you saying that running a DP/exhaust without a tune will cause the car to run lean? I knew there were reasons to have it the other way around where if you had a tune and no DP you could over-heat the turbo. Wasn't aware that tune's were necessary for DP/exhaust upgrades. Makes me want to check mine if that's the case.
      2005 Passion Red/Gobi S60R 6MT w/ climate package: Custom 3" Tommy Motorsports downpipe w/ QTP E-cutout | Custom 3" Magnaflow Catback | K&N | Airbox window mod | CUST|OM|PAINT | iPD 1st gen boost gauge/pod | iPD Upper Engine mount & Lower Trans mount | Silicon hoses | Viva HD CBV | SNABB T.I.P.| ..................and a big grinning meteorologist in the driver's seat.

    18. #18
      Junior Member hamburgerpimp's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      Location
      Morgan Hill C.A.
      Posts
      77
      Quote Originally Posted by stormchasin_racin View Post
      Are you saying that running a DP/exhaust without a tune will cause the car to run lean? I knew there were reasons to have it the other way around where if you had a tune and no DP you could over-heat the turbo. Wasn't aware that tune's were necessary for DP/exhaust upgrades. Makes me want to check mine if that's the case.
      Was installing downpipe when crack was noticed , so it can not be from running downpipe with stock tune.
      2004 S60R. MT. Ipd strut bar conversion, Viva cbv, IPD gen two tcv, Ipd poly engine and Trans mounts, SNABB intake pipe, EST down pipe, IPD oval tube catback , LED conversion, IPD track spec sways, Ultra racing trunk and upper braces, Drilled stop tech rotors, Goodridge S/S lines,IPD drop in intercooler, IPd throttle inlet pipe, R kelly intake, Viva single vent pod, Prosport boost guage

    19. #19
      Member stormchasin_racin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Logan Utah, (Sep 2010 -)
      Posts
      1,235
      Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerpimp View Post
      Was installing downpipe when crack was noticed , so it can not be from running downpipe with stock tune.
      Not necessarily just the crack, but lean conditions in general.
      2005 Passion Red/Gobi S60R 6MT w/ climate package: Custom 3" Tommy Motorsports downpipe w/ QTP E-cutout | Custom 3" Magnaflow Catback | K&N | Airbox window mod | CUST|OM|PAINT | iPD 1st gen boost gauge/pod | iPD Upper Engine mount & Lower Trans mount | Silicon hoses | Viva HD CBV | SNABB T.I.P.| ..................and a big grinning meteorologist in the driver's seat.

    20. #20
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      On a Great Lake
      Posts
      1,796
      Quote Originally Posted by maxenar View Post
      Why is your turbo all powdered up?
      He's been running lean for a long time. Tail pipe is probably the same colour (easy way to check lean/rich).
      04 V70 2.5T AWD - AUTOTECH | SNABB | OBX | MAGNAFLOW | SNABB | BILSTEIN | EIBACH

    21. #21
      Junior Member ifnt420's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2003
      Location
      TPE/BNE/DFW/AUS
      Posts
      924
      Quote Originally Posted by petew View Post


      click on photo to see hairline crack


      Everbody has a crack in that place -- but you only find out when you look.

      Not to worry -- it doesn't effect performance ...
      Just curious, Is the downpipe flange gasket leaking in this photo?
      Can PETEW confirm?
      MY02 V70XC w/19" IWC CSL w/245/40/19 RE050A, R Brembos f+r, Coilovers, VST anti-sway bars + endlinks + f&r strut bars, UR strut bar + lower f&r braces, Pipercross, KKK K24, 465 green injectors, FMIC, ATF cooler, VST Rev, UR pulley, Aquamist, TME 3" DP + Catback, MTE Stg 3 tuned=

    22. #22
      Junior Member BrotherMatt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      377
      Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerpimp View Post
      Stock tune, maybe sulfur rich california gas? I use 91 octane 76 gas usually. No lean codes or anything. Car does get driven pretty hard and has about 140k . I purchased with 120k and have done a very detailed stage 0 when I bought it. No problems since then.
      I bought my car with 122K on it in September. The previous owner also lived in here in CA. When I pulled the turbo out for a rebuild I didn't observe any discoloration. It looks like you're running lean. I'd try to track down the cause.
      2005 S60R GT

    23. #23
      Member atacamaR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2008
      Location
      anoka, mn
      Posts
      3,952
      Quote Originally Posted by stormchasin_racin View Post
      Are you saying that running a DP/exhaust without a tune will cause the car to run lean? I knew there were reasons to have it the other way around where if you had a tune and no DP you could over-heat the turbo. Wasn't aware that tune's were necessary for DP/exhaust upgrades. Makes me want to check mine if that's the case.
      If the stock ecu can't account for the freer flowing exhaust it is possible you'll lean out a bit. You'll be fine with catback, but i wouldn't rule it out if you had dp/exhaust. Atleast, I wouldn't run it for years without a tune. I contacted Lucky from IPD a long time ago when considering getting ipd dp/exhaust but waiting for the tune. He advised not to run too long with dp/exhaust with no tune for fear of running to lean if ecu couldn't cope.

      Why invest the money in DP and exhaust but opt out of tune? I can see in the short term but for a long time? The tune is where you will see the biggest gains with said setup.

      Another thread where Lucky chimed in.
      "Cars with Downpipes usually require a stage II map. For cars with cat back no tuning is required but stage I is highly recommended"

      That said plenty of people have run just fine without noticing any ill effects. I run just tme catback but will be getting a tune at the same time I go with a dp.


      Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerpimp View Post
      Was installing downpipe when crack was noticed , so it can not be from running downpipe with stock tune.
      wasn't referring to OP with statement.
      '05mt blk/atacama SR with a few mods
      '02 v.7 sti wagon-the winter beater
      '02 wrx stage 2 rebuild thread -sold
      "I mostly like to street race in school zones, simply because they show your trap speed on the digital display."-BroCo

    24. #24
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      On a Great Lake
      Posts
      1,796
      I'd be interested to see your AFRs when it's back on the road.
      04 V70 2.5T AWD - AUTOTECH | SNABB | OBX | MAGNAFLOW | SNABB | BILSTEIN | EIBACH

    25. #25
      Junior Member hamburgerpimp's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      Location
      Morgan Hill C.A.
      Posts
      77
      Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
      I'd be interested to see your AFRs when it's back on the road.
      Going to check that today when I get to work.
      2004 S60R. MT. Ipd strut bar conversion, Viva cbv, IPD gen two tcv, Ipd poly engine and Trans mounts, SNABB intake pipe, EST down pipe, IPD oval tube catback , LED conversion, IPD track spec sways, Ultra racing trunk and upper braces, Drilled stop tech rotors, Goodridge S/S lines,IPD drop in intercooler, IPd throttle inlet pipe, R kelly intake, Viva single vent pod, Prosport boost guage

    26. #26
      Junior Member maxenar's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2011
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      998
      Is there a written procedure on how to remove our turbos?
      2006 Volvo S60 R | GT | Passion Red | ///S2R
      { COMFORT | SPORT | ADVANCED }
      "PRACTICE SAFE SEX, MAKE LOVE IN A VOLVO."

    27. #27
      Member stormchasin_racin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Logan Utah, (Sep 2010 -)
      Posts
      1,235
      Quote Originally Posted by atacamaR View Post
      If the stock ecu can't account for the freer flowing exhaust it is possible you'll lean out a bit. You'll be fine with catback, but i wouldn't rule it out if you had dp/exhaust. Atleast, I wouldn't run it for years without a tune. I contacted Lucky from IPD a long time ago when considering getting ipd dp/exhaust but waiting for the tune. He advised not to run too long with dp/exhaust with no tune for fear of running to lean if ecu couldn't cope.

      Why invest the money in DP and exhaust but opt out of tune? I can see in the short term but for a long time? The tune is where you will see the biggest gains with said setup.

      Another thread where Lucky chimed in.
      "Cars with Downpipes usually require a stage II map. For cars with cat back no tuning is required but stage I is highly recommended"

      That said plenty of people have run just fine without noticing any ill effects. I run just tme catback but will be getting a tune at the same time I go with a dp.



      wasn't referring to OP with statement.
      Cool thanks,

      I have a DP/catback and have a few other things I want to get built before going with a tune but yes, I would like to have one at one point (still waiting to compare ARD's). I've suspected that my engine is running rich (stronger than normal exhaust smell on harder acceleration, decreased power at lower RPM's) so I'm waiting for coils/plugs to arrive. Was hoping that would fix the issue. When I saw you say that running without a tune could influence AFR's, it got me a little worried. Mind loaning me $895 bucks so I can make sure the R stays around?
      2005 Passion Red/Gobi S60R 6MT w/ climate package: Custom 3" Tommy Motorsports downpipe w/ QTP E-cutout | Custom 3" Magnaflow Catback | K&N | Airbox window mod | CUST|OM|PAINT | iPD 1st gen boost gauge/pod | iPD Upper Engine mount & Lower Trans mount | Silicon hoses | Viva HD CBV | SNABB T.I.P.| ..................and a big grinning meteorologist in the driver's seat.

    28. #28
      Member atacamaR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2008
      Location
      anoka, mn
      Posts
      3,952
      Quote Originally Posted by stormchasin_racin View Post
      Cool thanks,

      I have a DP/catback and have a few other things I want to get built before going with a tune but yes, I would like to have one at one point (still waiting to compare ARD's). I've suspected that my engine is running rich (stronger than normal exhaust smell on harder acceleration, decreased power at lower RPM's) so I'm waiting for coils/plugs to arrive. Was hoping that would fix the issue. When I saw you say that running without a tune could influence AFR's, it got me a little worried. Mind loaning me $895 bucks so I can make sure the R stays around?
      Heh, you are ahead of me. I'm saving for dp, tune, track wheels/tires. Not necessarily in that order though. I want the wheels/tires first so I can start getting some track days in. 17" 1.2's from viva

      I'm also not worried about running lean with a good backfire when getting on it and switching gears. Love it
      '05mt blk/atacama SR with a few mods
      '02 v.7 sti wagon-the winter beater
      '02 wrx stage 2 rebuild thread -sold
      "I mostly like to street race in school zones, simply because they show your trap speed on the digital display."-BroCo

    29. #29
      Member stormchasin_racin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Logan Utah, (Sep 2010 -)
      Posts
      1,235
      Quote Originally Posted by atacamaR View Post
      Heh, you are ahead of me. I'm saving for dp, tune, track wheels/tires. Not necessarily in that order though. I want the wheels/tires first so I can start getting some track days in. 17" 1.2's from viva

      I'm also not worried about running lean with a good backfire when getting on it and switching gears. Love it
      If only we didn't care about preventative maintenance, maybe we could save up enough money haha. I usually avoid tire/wheel threads because I know I will see something I like, and quickly realize I would have to not pay my bills for three months to afford for a good set.
      2005 Passion Red/Gobi S60R 6MT w/ climate package: Custom 3" Tommy Motorsports downpipe w/ QTP E-cutout | Custom 3" Magnaflow Catback | K&N | Airbox window mod | CUST|OM|PAINT | iPD 1st gen boost gauge/pod | iPD Upper Engine mount & Lower Trans mount | Silicon hoses | Viva HD CBV | SNABB T.I.P.| ..................and a big grinning meteorologist in the driver's seat.