SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Strange wastegate issue. Please help.

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  dustbom05 
#1 ·
I posted this under the wastegate valve adjusting thread and didnt really get any answers. Here is my problem... I've had low boost since I got the car about 4 months ago. I get around 10 or 11psi. No check engine light or anything. I installed a new VIVA CBV, TCV, and replaced all the vacuum lines. I am certain they are routed correctly and have no leaks. I recently purchased an IPD wastegate adjustment tool and tried to set my wastegate. They say it should begin to move at around 4.2psi and setting it around 6 is still acceptable. Even with the wastegate linkage disconnected from the actuator rod it takes almost 8psi just to get it moving. And of course, to set it that that pressure means I can barely screw the linkage to the actuator rod. I checked to make sure I had no leaks with my wastegate tool. Is my wastegate bad and thats been the low boost problem all along?

I'm sorry if I offended anyone by making a new thread. I did search through other postings and couldnt find a problem like mine. I'm new to forums and not all that savvy about forum ettiquette.

#4 ·
I had to remove the engine brace bar, wastegate, charge pipe, intake pipe, a coolant line... and even then I had to literally sit on the engine to get to it for the most part. Took me all day to change it out. Definitely one of the most tedious things I've ever done with a car.

#6 ·
Nah, didnt take out the turbo. I had to bolt it in mostly by feel. Took forever. I didnt notice any gains because that was the first piece I put in the car. Whoever had it before me didnt really maintain it that well. I only noticed a difference in the car after changing the vacuum lines and tightening the wastegate way down. If you are having boost issues and you've already replaced the TCV and vacuum lines then you will probably feel a difference after putting it in. It definitely gives it a much nicer blow off valve like sound.

#7 ·
I changed mine out to its a pain and takes alot of time but I think its worth it.

#11 ·
I'm having similar issues with my car and have replaced most of the things you mentioned (though not the CBV). Like you, I found it impossible to calibrate the wastegate with the IPD tool to the recommended PSI value. Eventually, I just ignored the recommended PSI and started systematically moving with the wastegate setting and taking notes to see how it affected the max boost and performance. Nothing I did could get the boost beyond about 11psi.

Anyone have thoughts on how to determine if the issue is the wastegate itself? Thus far, I have just been trying to eliminate other possible factors such as the setting of the wastegate, TCV, TCV lines, etc.

If you're unable to use the IPD adjustment tool like Suckerpunch and I, would that indicate that the wastegate is bad?

#15 ·
Im having similar issues too, the car wasnt maintained as I would have by the previous owner. Ive replaced the TCV and TCV lines and still only pushing 10psi max. If you have a boost guage you do not need the wastegate adjustment tool. If you unplug your tcv and take the car for a ride. Your max psi shown on the gauge will be your wastegate setting. Just an idea to double check your wastegate. Please keep us updated about your enw wastegate, might be another thing I gotta replace :-/.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.