Looks like the wife unit and I are heading to Chicago at the end of May in the R!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Looks like the wife unit and I are heading to Chicago at the end of May in the R!

She graduates (college, not HS...) on the 14th, which oddly enough is our 1yr wedding anniversary. Going to start doing the usual repairs to get ready for that trip. Looks like i'm rolling over 105k sometime this weekend, I guess I should consider a timing belt shouldn't I? I took a peek in there last weekend and the tensioner looks good, no vibrations or belt slippage. I considered a water pump, how long are those lasting for you guys? Plugs and coils were done about 10k ago by the previous owner, got a record of that too

- alignment
      - tire balance/rotation
      - full fluid change hopefully
      - need to install that upper motor mount soon
      - Serpentine belt with the t-belt
      - I think the control arms and whatnot are probably alright, i'll give am a quick look during the tire rotation.

What am I forgetting? Looks like a 2200mi round trip including some mileage in Chicago. What spare parts can I grab to keep in my oh **** kit that I may need to replace mid-trip?
      Last edited by bimmerd00d; 04-26-2012 at 07:45 PM.
      2004 S60R 6-spd - Black/Nordkap, 18" Pegs, OEM BT, GROM, doesn't need anything else - 113k
      2006 BMW 330i - The new wife-mobile
      1997 BMW 740iL - The extra car.

Quote Originally Posted by bimmerd00d View Post
      She graduates on the 14th, which oddly enough is our 1yr wedding anniversary. Going to start doing the usual repairs to get ready for that trip. Looks like i'm rolling over 105k sometime this weekend, I guess I should consider a timing belt shouldn't I? I took a peek in there last weekend and the tensioner looks good, no vibrations or belt slippage. I considered a water pump, how long are those lasting for you guys? Plugs and coils were done about 10k ago by the previous owner, got a record of that too

- alignment
      - tire balance/rotation
      - full fluid change hopefully
      - need to install that upper motor mount soon
      - Serpentine belt with the t-belt
      - I think the control arms and whatnot are probably alright, i'll give am a quick look during the tire rotation.

What am I forgetting? Looks like a 2200mi round trip including some mileage in Chicago. What spare parts can I grab to keep in my oh **** kit that I may need to replace mid-trip?
      I have a backpack in my trunk with my oh sh*it emergency supplies

1 32oz bottle of water
      1 1qt bottle of Oil
      spare rad hose
      1 5pk spark plugs
      torx bit set
      spare bulbs and fuses, its hard to find a D2R locally if one goes out especially at 3am I know
      electrical and duck tape
      zip ties

and I think that's it besides 1 or 2 other things.
      2005 Volvo S60R Ti/Nordkap *NAV, Climate Package, Premium Package, 18" Flat Black Retarded Flying Horse Wheels, 10mm spacers (all around), Engine Stabilizer Upper Polyurethane Bushing, HD Polyurethane Transmission Mount, Polyurethane Upper Engine Mount, GROM iPOD unit, 2 10" Infinity Subs, Phuzzy Motorsports HD-TCV, 3.5" Air Intake, Green Calipers, UR Brace Bars (Upper Front and Rear), IPD DEM Shield*

Quote Originally Posted by ions View Post
      I have a backpack in my trunk with my oh sh*it emergency supplies

1 32oz bottle of water
      1 1qt bottle of Oil
      spare rad hose
      1 5pk spark plugs
      torx bit set
      spare bulbs and fuses, its hard to find a D2R locally if one goes out especially at 3am I know
      electrical and duck tape
      zip ties

and I think that's it besides 1 or 2 other things.

OR you can just make sure your car works before you leave, and then you've got nothing to worry about. I would only ever carry around basic screwdrivers, and some vice grips... A quart of oil can't hurt... Make sure you've got your spare wheel, jack and breaker bar, and make sure the lugs are not on too tight for you to get off with the tool provided with the spare wheel. It's not like you can't find a 24/7 walgreens around here that has the rest of the things that he mentioned IF you absolutely had an emergency. If you're in Chicago and something breaks, just PM me, I've got all the things you could need that might go wrong on your little honeymoon. It's not like you're going into the mohave for days far away from civilization.
      05 S60R MT - Home made catless downpipe - Powerslot rotors - ARD Kevlar with 11 Blade Compressor wheel

Quote Originally Posted by bimmerd00d View Post
      Cell w/data plan so if you do break down, you can hit the forum for support

Drbrutal is right though, you'll be fine unless road trip has spatially traveled roads, basic supplies are fine. Check air in spare wheel btw....
      Last edited by atacamaR; 04-26-2012 at 08:05 PM.
      '05mt blk/atacama SR with a few mods
      '02 v.7 sti wagon-the winter beater
      '02 wrx stage 2 rebuild thread -sold
      "I mostly like to street race in school zones, simply because they show your trap speed on the digital display."-BroCo

Quote Originally Posted by DrBrutal View Post
      OR you can just make sure your car works before you leave, and then you've got nothing to worry about. I would only ever carry around basic screwdrivers, and some vice grips... A quart of oil can't hurt... Make sure you've got your spare wheel, jack and breaker bar, and make sure the lugs are not on too tight for you to get off with the tool provided with the spare wheel. It's not like you can't find a 24/7 walgreens around here that has the rest of the things that he mentioned IF you absolutely had an emergency. If you're in Chicago and something breaks, just PM me, I've got all the things you could need that might go wrong on your little honeymoon. It's not like you're going into the mohave for days far away from civilization.
      Well I mean R/Volvo specific...i always have the common tools and whatnot. I'm not worried about it breaking IN Chicago, i've got numerous resources for help/parts there...and now one more, thanks! It's got 100k, nothing's perfect . In 2010 we drove my old BMW 525iT with 285k on it to Chicago with no problems. Never hurts to be prepared for it. If it were a BMW, there's no question about what i'd bring. I'm still relatively new to this Volvo game. The wife's C70 has been on autopilot since we got it 4yrs ago, haven't had to do anything to it except bitch and moan about how much a windows regulator costs.
      2004 S60R 6-spd - Black/Nordkap, 18" Pegs, OEM BT, GROM, doesn't need anything else - 113k

You know how big Texas is? there are a lot of roads that go miles with nothing in site, now I'm not sure where in TX he is but some parts are the middle of nowhere. You car can be in perfect working order and have something go wrong with it, no matter if its brand new or 200,000mi, I always say better safe then sorry.
      2005 Volvo S60R Ti/Nordkap *NAV, Climate Package, Premium Package, 18" Flat Black Retarded Flying Horse Wheels, 10mm spacers (all around), Engine Stabilizer Upper Polyurethane Bushing, HD Polyurethane Transmission Mount, Polyurethane Upper Engine Mount, GROM iPOD unit, 2 10" Infinity Subs, Phuzzy Motorsports HD-TCV, 3.5" Air Intake, Green Calipers, UR Brace Bars (Upper Front and Rear), IPD DEM Shield*

You know how big Texas is? there are a lot of roads that go miles with nothing in site, now I'm not sure where in TX he is but some parts are the middle of nowhere. You car can be in perfect working order and have something go wrong with it, no matter if its brand new or 200,000mi, I always say better safe then sorry.
      Far north Dallas! hell, i've seen reports of these cars having goofball issues with under 30k on them. Any car is like that, just looking for ideas on what keeps these from moving down the road by themselves. I've got my own list, just need the items that I'll need to limp to the next town. Mainly all I can think of is if the car overheats, that's all that's going to keep it from moving outside of a tire or timing belt shredding.

Well I drove my S40 (which I maintained very well from 20,000 miles) with 160,000 miles to kentucky and back with absolutely no issues, all I brought were exactly what I listed. It was about 2,300 miles round trip (we did alot of driving there, and in between) As a matter of fact, the car still runs and drives like new with 174,000 miles. However, I've replaced all of the suspension components, and alot of small stuff. It's also got a 19T
      05 S60R MT - Home made catless downpipe - Powerslot rotors - ARD Kevlar with 11 Blade Compressor wheel

Well I drove my S40 (which I maintained very well from 20,000 miles) with 160,000 miles to kentucky and back with absolutely no issues, all I brought were exactly what I listed. It was about 2,300 miles round trip (we did alot of driving there, and in between) As a matter of fact, the car still runs and drives like new with 174,000 miles. However, I've replaced all of the suspension components, and alot of small stuff. It's also got a 19T