S40 Timing Belt Question
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

S40 Timing Belt Question

When should a timing belt be replaced on an S40 2.4i? If a car has mostly highway miles does that cause less wear and tear on the timing belt?

Yes, but Heat in the Engine Bay is worst . 90,000 miles I believe
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

Or time, 7 yrs. on the safe side, 10 yrs, max, irregardless of mileage.
      1982 Volvo GLT w/ small block V8, T5 manual tranny and a bunch of stuff. to handle and go fast
      Gone and totaled V50 with a few mods, I miss that one
      DD 2014 Acura RDX

it's due @ 120k. I did mine @ 102k because I had the time home from work. ~ $530 @ local dealer, didn't need the other stuff done that they wanted to do.
      2006 S40 T5 FWD

TogetherWeServed

Just did mine at 88,000 miles along with the tensioner and accessory belts. What's your mileage at?
      2005 S40 T5 AWD M66 Sold
      1990 244 DL Sold

83k. Bought the car less than two years ago with 9k on it so mostly highway miles. First set of brakes lasted over 80k.

I would just get it done and over with.
      2005 S40 T5 AWD M66 Sold
      1990 244 DL Sold

Quote Originally Posted by fnichol View Post
      83k. Bought the car less than two years ago with 9k on it so mostly highway miles. First set of brakes lasted over 80k.
      Wait, you put 74K on the car in less than 2 years? Holy dang, I thought I drove a lot! I personally don't see the need to do it prematurely. There has not been evidence (at least not on this forum) of any timing-related parts failing early.

I tried to have it done at 100 and our dealership told me not to bother till 120.
      I looked at the belt and it looks fine. I'm waiting till 120.
      dese, dem, ain't, them there, that there, you's and like that
      94 940, 97 850 T5, 99 V70 GLT, 2005 V50 AWD T5

I just had mine done by a Volvo mechanic as side work. Only charged me $200, but I supplied the parts. Plus side to it besides the cheap route, I got to watch him and learn some stuff, plus all the "tricks" to make it simpler and quicker. I'll be doing it next time. Only took 2 hours, with him taking breaks and us getting sidetracked looking at his race car

Can anyone outline what else should be changed with the timing belt at 120k? My understanding is the tensioner pulley, water pump and of course the belt itself. There are all sorts of kits out there with what you can buy. Can anyone make any suggestions on which one?

Thanks
      2006 S40 2.4i FWD (wifes car, my project)

120k is the timing belt service which obviously entails the belt, idler, and tensioner (water pump per inspection) plus the aux belts since they will be off to do the service. Then comes the addition of your second 60k service which is engine filter, cabin filter, oil change, spark plugs, and brake flush.

All together about a $1200 bill.
      TheRetrofitSource | 2020 Motorsports | RTernie | H&R Springs | Import Meet | Girodisc

Current: E46M (daily) | S40 T5 (grocery getter)
      Past: NA1 NSX | Acura TL | LS-T DC4

Quote Originally Posted by -ForceFed- View Post
      120k is the timing belt service which obviously entails the belt, idler, and tensioner (water pump per inspection) plus the aux belts since they will be off to do the service. Then comes the addition of your second 60k service which is engine filter, cabin filter, oil change, spark plugs, and brake flush.

All together about a $1200 bill.
      Do you know the part nos for the serpentine belts?

Quote Originally Posted by inlinevolvo View Post
      Do you know the part nos for the serpentine belts?
      There aren't any serpentine belts on this car. Which belts are you referring to? There's the timing belt, the a/c belt and the alternator belt.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva CBV, Elevate rear swaybar, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Quote Originally Posted by tmtalpey View Post
      There aren't any serpentine belts on this car. Which belts are you referring to? There's the timing belt, the a/c belt and the alternator belt.
      Those are commonly referred to as serpentine/aux belts.
      Volvo Expert/Master Tech
      VISTA 2012 Winner

1998 V70 T5M

Quote Originally Posted by thebracko View Post
      Those are commonly referred to as serpentine/aux belts.
      Yes, this is what I was referring to. There are so many outlets that I feel unconfident to pull the trigger.

Yes, this is what I was referring to. There are so many outlets that I feel unconfident to pull the trigger.
      I got mind from IPD, along with the timing belt kit. Everything fit perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by wezol View Post
      I got mind from IPD, along with the timing belt kit. Everything fit perfectly.
      Thanks! I believe their timing belt kits include the belt and tensioners. What about the water pump? Seems like a cheap reason not to do it. By the way, how much was the install?

Thanks! I believe their timing belt kits include the belt and tensioners. What about the water pump? Seems like a cheap reason not to do it. By the way, how much was the install?
      The timing belt kit came with the tensioner and idler pulley, does not come with the water pump. I did not replace mine.

My install cost me $200, but that's an exception as it was done by a Volvo mechanic on the weekend at his house.