What is market value on 62 Pv544? I have a change of plans, and dont know what is fair..
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

What is market value on 62 Pv544? I have a change of plans, and dont know what is fair..

I am having a bit of dilema, and trying to decide what to do here.. I have been driving this car around town everyday, and it is really a pretty decent car. I had planned on doing some mods with it, but it is really too original and in decent shape, so I was thinking about just putting it on market for sale instead for altering it.. Contrary to what some people may think, because of my products, I do have respect for originality..

Here is my question.. What would this car be worth to someone that wanted to finish a few things out on it.. It runs great, the transmission is great and quiet.. The rear end is quiet and it cruises the higway just fine.. I have been using it for 80 mile round trips from town to town, and been using it as a daily driver around town and it does great..

Here are a couple of the issues. The color is probably not the best in the world, and the paint application isnt the best either. Dont get me wrong, it isnt peeling or anything, it is there are some basic body work that could have been better here or there.

It can use the window weatherstrips, which I wasnt going to address, because we are preparing to market a flush mount glass system for these cars, and it will eliminate the need for the factory bulky rubber.

The brakes hydraulics are great, but it will need some brake shoes.. I can here a bit of dragging, and I am sure it is ready for some new shoes.. Again, I wasnt planning on addressing that issue, because of the new crossmember/suspension kit.

The speedo isnt working, and I have not addressed it, because I use my navigation system for a speedometer anyway..

The bumpers could use a chroming, and I have actually replaced the front bumper with one in straighter condition than the one pictured below.

The Plus's..

It runs smooth, quiet, and strong.. It runs Cool and No smoking or blow by. The carburators actually work perfectly, and smooth and clean running, which I think is a feat in itself.. LOL

All the lighting and signals work great.

I think the interior is actually done of a nice quality, and the seat feel nice and firm.

All I can say is, it is a daily driver capable car, and has a few basic issues that can be addressed by someone that wants to go original.

So if I advertise it, or put a Buy it Now on Ebay, what would be a good price.. If it isnt worth a decent amount as it is, and no one wants to take the minor issues on, I think I will go ahead and do the modifications.. I have a 4-speed OD combination to go with it, if someone wanted to do that mod to drive it at Interstate speeds.

Global Moderator
      This PV is a really good daily-driver and way too nice for mods/alterations.

eBay is the way to go as you already know how to avoid the shysters.

If you wish to move the car quickly just slap it on eBay and let it go to the highest bidder.

Otherwise play around with the bids/bidding options and set a "Buy It Now" for $5,000 just for grins.

George Dill

Thats kind of what I was afraid of George.. I dont know if it isnt best for me to move forward with the mods for 5,000, because by the time I do the positive things about the car to another, I should just use this one.. I have another PV that actually has a great body on it, but everything else has rotted in a Oklahoma farm pasture. I was thinking that my tagert price would be 6000dollars, and that would basically get my other one in about the same shape in some areas.

It was just a thought, and glad to see I am not too far off base. I was just debating on dealing Ebay on it, and their fee's, if obviously wouldnt bring the money..

For comparison I bought my first PV, a 60 544, for $275 in Tulsa in late 1967. I bought the second one (after the first one was totaled between 2 other cars on an icy street in north Tulsa) for $250, a 59 544. When the engine on that one gave out I bought the third one, a 58 444 with a fairly fresh B16 engine in late 1969 or early 1970 for $200. Obviously prices have gone up and these all had the earlier B16 engine. But it seems to me that 5000 is a little steep.

Ok.. I posted it on Ebay this afternoon, with a few video's of the car sitting still and being driven.. If a guy that wants an original car wants it, I will not do the mods to the car.. But, if the original guys are not willing to step up and pay a pretty decent price for the car, then I shouldnt hear anything from the Purist types.. I have my reserve set a 6000 dollars, and I dont think that is a whole lot of money for a decent car at all.. And if a decent running and driving PV isnt worth that, then there is no real incentive to keep them original, because it isnt like could be worth less modified.

Here is the link guys.. That way you can keep an eye on it also..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=320897550170

This car reached a very good price already. $7,600.

Did your car sell?

Global Moderator
      Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
      This car reached a very good price already. $7,600.

Did your car sell?
      No longer listed but here is one you can get for cheap...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo...item2a1cc1fb22

George Dill

Sold it to a guy in Florida... 7,000 dollars, and he is picking it up on Monday... It is going to a very good home, and will be a steady driver as it is..

George, that was the car I was trying to show, and for some reason the "control-V" did not get through. For some reason, the auction page shows the sale price at $2900.

Well the PV made asking price on the 2nd day of the Ebay Auction, and is now on its way to Florida.. It left out this last Saturday afternoon, so should be fairly close to its new home..

Global Moderator
      Does the new owner do Swedespeed?

George Dill

He doesnt, that I am aware of, but I have encouraged it.. From what I gather, he is a major car enthusiast that owns several classics, and he was looking for something that he didnt have to worry about normal road use rare.. I do my best to encourage more activity in these forums, by pointing everyone I am in communication with, and that is why I am critical of negative and uninformed post by un-named people.
      Last edited by Iamtheonlyreal1; 05-07-2012 at 09:10 PM.

I'm impressed! Congratulations on a quick sale!

Quote Originally Posted by Walrus3 View Post
      I'm impressed! Congratulations on a quick sale!
      Just think about it.. What does 7,000 dollars buy anymore? I honestly think it is a sad thing, that 7,000 dollars was a sort of sales top end for a classic car, and hope that changes real soon..

Global Moderator
      Quote Originally Posted by Iamtheonlyreal1 View Post
      Just think about it.. What does 7,000 dollars buy anymore? I honestly think it is a sad thing, that 7,000 dollars was a sort of sales top end for a classic car, and hope that changes real soon..
      Classic car selling prices are poor indicators of future markets.

This Volvo PV could have died on eBay had a motivated buyer not appeared.

Conversely, had a bidding war arose Iam could have attracted the attention of the IRS.

Currently on the showroom of a USA-based Volvo dealer sits a one-owner Volvo 1800ES with less than 32,000 miles in as-new unmodified condition - no buyers.

More than ten years back I acquired a one-owner P220 with under 50,000 miles with an initial investment of $14,000+ (includes ship and AC install) which I sold for $5,000. The fun times with the car were well worth the dollars.

George Dill

Totally understand the Fun and Value side of it.. If you want something, you just want it, and cost really doesnt matter.. I am not sure what they are asking for that One Owner P1800ES, but people tend to put too much value on that type of car off the top, so it isnt surprising it may not sell for the asking price, if it is out of hand of course. The Vox Amazon Wagon is for sale, and it is just over 100,000 dollars U.S. right now, and it will be cars like that, along with the build cars that we are doing, that will bring new interest and value to the Classic Volvo.

For most cars, it takes Notable High Performance and New Styling builds to draw imagination and interest, and that is what it takes to drive new investment and value.. The Vox Renditions, along with their Amazon Wagon build, did just that.. It is starting to peak the interest of new people, and they are willing to spend the money on such builds or products. I am not sure that their P1800ES build did a whole lot, and I wasnt really impressed with it, because it really looked a bit off to me.. It just seems they could have done a bit more with the overall styling of the car, and a few things that were done, were out of place and disproportionate.