SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Sensus 3.0

28K views 58 replies 23 participants last post by  bhill 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Just checked mine and no update. Does it have to be done at the dealer or will it be done automatically?

#5 ·
mark-sf: Did you have to pay for the update? I just had the first service done on my standard T-6 and the dealer was going to charge for any Sensus updates unless I had any "issues" with the current version- which I did not. This just doesn't seem right.... Pete

#7 ·
Software updates are complimentary with any regular service (US market):

http://www.volvocars.com/us/top/yourvolvo/volvoserviceforlife/pages/default.aspx

I suspect there were earlier "patch on complaint" sort of responses by dealers. As I recall when
mine was done they did it through the USB and kind of had to go out of there way to update
the IAM to do it (IAM=Integrated Audio Module), But my dealer did it with no issue when I mentioned
I would like the IPOD search feature that I knew was in the most recent patches.

Sensus 3.0 seems to be a more official release/update that Volvo is promoting. So I
would tend to think it should be updated as part of the Volvo Service For Life service
referenced in the above link.

#11 ·
Talked with the service manager at my local Volvo dealer today about the Sensus 3.0 update. He said it was FREE as long as it was done during regular scheduled maintenance.

From Volvo's web site: The maintenance program covers the first six scheduled services at no charge on model year 2012 and 2011 vehicles. The service schedule is 7,500, 15,000, 22,500, 30,000, 37,500 and 45,000 miles.

If I don't want to wait for the next scheduled maintenance, I have the option of paying $119.00 to hook my car up to their computer and the cost of the upgraded software. I'm at 20,000 miles, so I will do it for the 22,500 mile covered maintenance.

#12 ·
I sure hope that the free update will also apply to ZERO miles delivery. Our OSD XC60 is currently sitting on the Baltimore dock awaiting Customs clearance. Of course since we have already driven it in Europe, I know for sure that it does not have 3.0 loaded. (OK, so in our case ZERO actually is the 1304 miles we put on it already.....)

#15 ·
I'm getting the Sensus 3.0 as we speak. It has caused a mini panic at the dealership. They had to expand memory in their system to accept it so that it can be loaded into the units as they come in.

#18 ·
I suggest that everyone snap a picture of the EQ settings on their smart phone and also another picture of the bass/treble and Center eq setting etc so it will be easier to put back where it was. I didn't do that unfortunately. Wish I did. Still fiddling with it to get it back where I had the sound just about perfect.

#19 ·
And I suggest that when you have the eq settings fixed you post a pic for those of us (yes, me) with a tin ear who could never accomplish this on our own. Yes, I know it's subjective, but give me something to compare to.

Jon
>>R-Design still evidently sitting on the Baltimore dock. sigh....

#20 ·
I brought my S60 in today (XC 60 going in next week) for some regular recall items and minor warranty rattle issues... the dealer is putting Sensu 3.0 in both cars, no questions asked... Nothing else is getting done, no oil change, service etc... just warranty work....

#22 ·
Arowens, could you go into your MyCar/Settings/Information/Map&SoftwareVersion, and post your Software and Map Version levels for us here, please?

Would be helpful to know what I'll be looking for, as I have little doubt I will be my dealer's "guinea pig" on the software updates.

(FYI, my S/W version is 0995 (way old!) and my map version is V30.11.02 (which I just installed this week - just got my NAVTEQ update DVDs a few days earlier)).

#24 ·
Software version: 0BC2 Map version the same as yours: V30.11.02.
There are some funky voice command patches that didn't come automatically. Techs had to call Volvo and their response was, Oh yeah. That should have been included in the update. :rolleyes:

#28 ·
I have a 2011 that I picked up in Sweden last April. I received a box of DVDs for the map update and had no luck with the install. It says the install can take 4 or 5 hours and that it will pause and restart when you stop and start the car. I got it started but it would not restart after stopping my car. This partial installation also deactivated the voice commands. My dealer said to bring it in and they would do it for free. They couldn't get it to work either and had to keep the car for two days to get it all sorted out. They ended up upgrading to Sensus 3.0 in the process.

I noticed several improvements with the new version. 1) It seems to connect to my phone faster and easier. (It is a Motorola Photon Android phone.) I had to futz with it previously to get it connected. Now, since I had to redo all my connections and settings, it connected right away. 2) There is a new listing of "Trip Statistics" that lists trip duration and some other info that I haven't fully explored yet. It is in with the "My Car" settings, etc. You can set it to reset after every trip or not. It is a good addition. I have wanted that information several times since getting the car.

#29 ·
I am in process of apply the DVD update on my Sensus 3.0 system. It has failed to automatically restart the update a few times saying it has "paused". I eject the DVD, switch to Disc, then reinsert the DVD. It then resumes after a period of "Reading disc...". Is this what you are experiencing?

#30 ·
I had similar experience on my DVD map update...had to repeat re-inserting the disc a couple of times along the way in order to get it to finally reach the "reading disc..." phase and then have it proceed, but eventually I was able to complete the process. You'd think they'd have a better way to do this (via Volvo computer, or a thumb drive rather than slow DVDs)...ugh.

#31 ·
There's a new map update or is this the version we share? Another glitch I discovered: none of my cds will play. Either the unit won't accept them or it pulls the cd in then spits it out. I stopped by my dealer this morning. The service receptionist thought I'd need a new nav unit. I asked if a manager or tech could sit in the car and let me show what it's doing. They think it needs another mysterious patch....

#33 ·
Not eligible for Sensus 3.0

I asked for Sensus 3.0 today for our 2011.5 XC60 during factory scheduled maintenance. After looking through their computer, I was told by the service advisor that it wasn't available yet for our model.

Did anyone else that has a 2011.5 get Sensus 3.0 yet? I will be stopping by the the dealer next week, so maybe I can request it again at that time.

#34 ·
I asked for Sensus 3.0 today for our 2011.5 XC60 during factory scheduled maintenance. After looking through their computer, I was told by the service advisor that it wasn't available yet for our model.

Did anyone else that has a 2011.5 get Sensus 3.0 yet? I will be stopping by the the dealer next week, so maybe I can request it again at that time.
I have a 2011.5 that I got last May and had the dealer install 3.0 a few weeks ago.

#35 ·
Picked ours up in Sweden April 29th 2011. Is that 2011.5?

Noticed some other changes with Sensus 3. Now, hitting the advance buttons on the steering wheel while using Sat radio cycles through the presets instead of moving to the next station on the dial. Also when you use exit and go out to the main menu your current choice is the starting point instead of always starting at the top with Nav. Seem to be some other changes with the Nav menu but haven't isolated them yet.

#36 ·
Picked ours up in Sweden April 29th 2011. Is that 2011.5?

Noticed some other changes with Sensus 3. Now, hitting the advance buttons on the steering wheel while using Sat radio cycles through the presets instead of moving to the next station on the dial. Also when you use exit and go out to the main menu your current choice is the starting point instead of always starting at the top with Nav. Seem to be some other changes with the Nav menu but haven't isolated them yet.
Sensus on the XC60 was introduced in the 2011.5 model.

#37 ·
Here's a nice video review of the new features in 3.0:

#39 ·
I called for my 7500 mile appointment today, asked for Sensus 3.0 and was told they'd do it if it was "available." I don't know if they were saying "We'll do it if it's available at all" or "We'll do it if it's available for your specific VIN."

You can never tell what the service writers are aware of and what they aren't. IMO, I shouldn't have to wait another 7500 miles for them to get familiar with current Volvo technology that's applicable to my car by learning on someone else.

#41 ·
I don't know whether I should be sad/envious since we don't have Sensus...or happy we don't have to deal with the 'stuff' associated with its infancy and development ;) .
But, HEY...we've got FOG lights!!! :)

#43 ·
Took ours in yesterday for a scheduled oil change and a few other minor items. As expected, the dealer called my wife yesterday and said it's ready, but "We don't do updates unless there is an issue"...had her call them back and let them know it had trouble connecting via Bluetooth (which is true)...they begrudgingly did the upgrade. At least I'm pretty sure they did. My wife picked it up this morning and is headed out of town for the day (I haven't seen it)...I did call her and asked her to check for the new "Trip Statistics" item under "My Car" and she confirmed it is there now. I'll have to mess with it a bit to see if I notice the improvements, etc.

#45 ·
I feel for you yobyot. I HATE dealing with car dealers and car service places...I mean HATE. I never feel like they know what they are doing and am always afraid something is getting screwed up. I am in the process of trying to lease another car (does not happen to be a Volvo) and am dealing with three different dealers...none of them seem to be able to get their act together on the lease paperwork (wrong numbers, misunderstanding of the tax, delays in getting paperwork sent to me, etc.)...horrible experience so far.

#46 ·
And I think it is unfair to lump all car retailers together because some make mistakes and/or are incompetent/indifferent.

There are many retailers who are not only very competent but truly care about their customers.

Good luck with your new lease transaction; I hope all goes well.

#48 ·
I had my 7500 mile service about a week ago and got the Sensus 3.0 upgrade. I dont think the service desks are completely familiar with the upgrade yet based on being asked if I had "received my upgrade disk in the mail". I said I had upgraded my nav from disk, but that I wanted a check of my Sirius system because it sometimes drops and Sensus 3.0. Long story short, I got the upgrade but received a call late in the day that it was still not ready. I was all set to keep my '12 XC90 loaner for the night but then got a follow-up call that it was done. When I arrived at 6:30pm they were still wiping down my car after the wash. But she was ready. BTW, I happen to love my RD. Sensus 3.0 is an improvement, like a collection of small tweaks, but not a monster change. No change in my Sirius behavior, which they checked during a test drive and said it was operating as expected. I hate how it sometimes drops out. Otherwise it is great.

#52 ·
Back on topic a bit. Got to mess with Sensus 3.0 a bit and it is definitely a nice improvement. Not dramatic, but since we had actually noted some of the prior issues like the bluetooth pairing and the lack of a quick way to cancel Nav guidance it was nice to have them addressed! Hopefully Volvo will issue another one with a few extra features along the way (note: I wouldn't go expecting one on a regular basis).

#54 ·
I took my vehicle to the dealer last week for the 22,500 service appt. and asked them to do the Sensus 3 upgrade. I picked-up my vehicle just before closing and noticed a little too late the upgrade was not done. I called the dealer in the morning and they said my VIN was not able to be upgraded but never mentioned it when I picked it up. I called Volvo USA and gave them my VIN. They said my VIN was upgradable, so I asked them to call my local dealer. Long story short, I picked-up my vehicle yesterday and this time the upgrade was finally done!

The dealer said another owner that they had initially told their vehicle was not upgradable is getting the upgrade.

Only had it a couple days. The changes are subtle, but nice.

#55 ·
I took my vehicle to the dealer last week for the 22,500 service appt. and asked them to do the Sensus 3 upgrade. I picked-up my vehicle just before closing and noticed a little too late the upgrade was not done. I called the dealer in the morning and they said my VIN was not able to be upgraded but never mentioned it when I picked it up. I called Volvo USA and gave them my VIN. They said my VIN was upgradable, so I asked them to call my local dealer. Long story short, I picked-up my vehicle yesterday and this time the upgrade was finally done!

The dealer said another owner that they had initially told their vehicle was not upgradable is getting the upgrade.

Only had it a couple days. The changes are subtle, but nice.
My wife took our 2011.5 XC60 in last week for service while I was out of town and she also got the "VIN not able to be upgraded" from the service manager. Guess I need to follow up with Volvo and get a definitive answer...it's going to tick me off a bit if it turns out he was full of @#$%.

#56 · (Edited)
Took in my XC60 for it's 7500 service. Initially, they told me that they don't do any computer updates(unless it's an issue covered by warranty) til 15,000. I told him that he was wrong. He then asked the service foreman and he told us that the Sensus 3.0 update was for only 2012 vehicles. I told them wrong again. I let them know about what I've learned from this thread and told them I'd contact Volvo USA and have them tell them to perform the update.

After telling them that the audible beeps from locking the vehicle was intermittent(requiring to reset the car settings), they finally performed the update.

Is there a simple way for me to check if they actually did the update? S/W version #? Or screen menu item that's new?

Edit - just got home and noticed I could check by seeing the Trip Statistics. Friggin lied to. 2 for 2 for having a poor experience with Volvo Customer Service at Boston Volvo Village. Called the Service Advisor and ripped him a new one. Will call Volvo USA now to file a complaint and file a complaint with the BBB.

Edit2 - just received a call from the Service Manager and was told that they called Volvo USA and they will now perform the update, giving me BS excuses how they're not supposed to allow any newly sold car to leave the dealership without the update but won't perform it on any existing vehicles. Will still file complaints.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.