New member. Just got an 04 V70 R
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

New member. Just got an 04 V70 R

Hello everyone. New to the forum. I had a 94 850 turbo wagon with pegasus wheels back in 04 or so. Since then I have built a real nice 92 BMW E34 turbo as well as a 72 Datsun 510. I sold the 510 shortly after getting married and since my BMW is making 375 RWHP, I decided I needed a nice DD. I was unable to get the 2 95 cream yellow T5-R wagons I was looking at so I got the 04 V70 R instead. I decided on auto so the wife could drive it as well. It's got 81k miles and is in great shape. Needs a new passenger side front strut and possible some bushings and engine mounts.

I plan on doing a projector retrofit, paint the inner housings grey along with the exterior trim and 18" pegasus wheels. Then I want to lower the car 1-2", and tint the windows. That's really all I want to do for now.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Here is my BMW. It's a 1992 525i 5 speed. I replaced the 2.5 non variable timing motor for a 2.8L variable valve timing and added M3 S50 cams. My best friend and I put together the turbo kit using an M3 manifold and universal IC piping. Garret GT3076R with .63 A/R. TRM tuning with 60 lb injectors. 3" turbo back exhaust with a Borla XR-1. Vogtland springs, Koni shocks, Wilwood 6 piston calipers with E38 750il rotors. M5 seats, black headliner, Acura TSX projectors, Euro trim, AC Schnitzer type III wheels, Poly and spherical bushings, poly subframe mounts. The car is currently making 375 RWHP and 360 ft lbs of torque.

Here is the 510 I built and sold 2 years ago Rebello L20 bored and stroked to 2.3, Nismo comp headers, Troy Ermish coilovers, 280zx brakes and struts, Roadster 5 speed.

I spy a VDO boost gauge! Welcome to SS! Those projectors on your 5er sure are bright...
      2006 Volvo S60 R | GT | Passion Red | ///S2R
      { COMFORT | SPORT | ADVANCED }
      "PRACTICE SAFE SEX, MAKE LOVE IN A VOLVO."

And finally the 85 VW MKI cabriolet I am restoring for my wife. I did all the work including paint myself.

And finally, some photos of my old girl. The 94 850 turbo wagon.

That 5er! It's a perfection.
      You have a great taste, good Sir.

Welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by maxenar View Post
      I spy a VDO boost gauge! Welcome to SS! Those projectors on your 5er sure are bright...
      Yup Thanks. Seems like the best forum for Volvo's. Haven't been impressed with the others. I am a DIY kind of guy and looking forward to getting into the R. Needs a new strut first and foremost.

Quote Originally Posted by rusheR View Post
      That 5er! It's a perfection.
      You have a great taste, good Sir.

Welcome to the forum
      Thanks so much!! I bought the V70 R just so I can stop DD'ing the E34.

For anyone who likes projects, here are my flickr links.

The Volvo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1404980...7629891358616/

Turbo BMW E34

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1404980...7600346688189/

My wife's 85 VW Cabrio restoration

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1404980...7628579614667/

My old Datsun 510

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1404980...7605008919930/

My old Silvia

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1404980...7627822337985/

And the 71 Datsun 240z my dad and I restored. He has 5 240's! All immaculate. 2 with 40k or less original miles.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1404980...7603350695459/

Finally for anyone who cares, some of my car photog. I just do it as a hobby.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1404980...7600739048420/

Nice Datsun
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now near 141,000 miles and still near perfect!
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule! JUST SOLD.

Looks like you've got great taste in cars, congrats on the V70R, looks like it's in great shape!

Thanks for all the kind words everyone I hope to make this car equally as impressive. Can anyone tell me how the adjustable shocks fare with lowering springs? I have Vogtlands on my BMW so I figured maybe put those on the R as well. But I would be open to coilovers as well. I am just so impressed with the suspension in this car (except for that broken front strut) I am noticing a noise from the rear as well and the car feels as if it has some bumpsteer where it will move side to side over bumps. I looked at all the sway bar end links and control arm bushings and they all looked ok. I noticed the engine mount on top to the firewall has cracks and missing rubber in the bushing so that could have something to do with it.

I also figure IPD and Viva performance are good starts but would appreciate some advice on other places. I will also have to do some searching through the stickies and main posts to see the FAQ's and main DIY's. Since the car has 81k miles, I figure I should do the belt and water pump by 90k.

Edit: Nevermind, Just found the sticky up top. Jackpot! Very well done.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...p-Repair-Index
      Last edited by RVAE34; 05-27-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Welcome to the forum. You have a lot of knowledge, expertise, and a nice stable of vehicles.
      "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke
      2007 S60R Magic Blue Metallic/Gobi MT 70,000+ miles (IPD intercooler, Hawk ceramics)
      2013 XC60 T6 Saville Grey Metallic/Black (wife's)
      http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/reward2/library/

Welcome! As someone who like you, just acquired a BSP VR GT (also due to the wife), I'm excited to see what you do with it. And it's good to see another Datsun veteran, in fact I just pulled my Z out of winter storage today!
      13 BRZ - World Rally Blue - Limited 6MT - "New Hotness"

SOLD... 04 V70R - Black Sapphire - Nordkap - GT - "The Wife's CaR"

Welcome

That 510 with the side draft weber's bring back days when I actually worked on cars. For a minute before the hood went up , I was thinking it was going to be one of those 510"s with Z motor and triple weber's stuffed in it. Now those were fast cars and fun days back in the late 70"s.
      2006 V70R Black GT 377 awhp TME Exhaust, Girodisc 2 piece rotors IPD Sway bars, HD end links, Strut Brace, Poly engine mounts EST CAI, Silicone hose kits, SNABB intake, IPD HO coils,Enem Y21, CamsRaceS60R FMIC,Majestic Hybrid Turbo, HFS-4 water meth ElectronicsSPA digital Boost/EGT, ScanGauge II, Bel STiR ,Laser Interceptor HD front jammer, Mobileye collision avoidance system , LED interior lighting, ImiV, 2 USB, AARP member,

Nice cars. I love that Datsun! I'd like to find a Datsun Roadster 2000 SRL-311 or a Hakosuka to build.

Welcome

I would have sex in all those cars. Very nice selection, sir. Welcome.

LOL. I also had a 67 Datsun 1600 but didn't care for it much. My dad has 5 240z's and 1 300zx. They are all mint. White 70 with 90k miles, safari gold 71 with 80k miles, lime green 72 with about 90k miles, silver 73 with 40k miles all original and he just bought another 71 with 36k miles all original.

I dream of a 71 Hakosuka station wagon. My best friend has an account setup through a friend for importing JDM cars. He is currently working on this beast. 2001 GS300 with Aristo 2jzvvti and the Supra 5 speed.

I love the 510. Someday i'm hoping.

Nice VR, welcome to SS
      '05mt blk/atacama SR with a few mods
      '02 v.7 sti wagon-the winter beater
      '02 wrx stage 2 rebuild thread -sold
      "I mostly like to street race in school zones, simply because they show your trap speed on the digital display."-BroCo

Very nice stable, welcome to SS. Where abouts are you located?
      Gone

Edited my profile. I am in Richmond, VA. Are there ever any East Coast Volvo meets etc?

And does anyone know where I can get a large front mount IC to replace this tiny little cute thing? I hadn't seen that on the FAQ's yet but I also haven't done too much searching. It's overwhelming when I am so familiar with the BMW stuff and have no clue where to begin on this forum.

Also curious if there is a common problem in the rear of these cars causing rattling over bumps. I also notice the bumpsteer from side to side. I know at the least the front strut is blown as it's leaking. But I swear I hear something in the rear that almost sounds like the hatch rattling but I really don't think that's it. Almost sounds like a subframe mount or something but they seem good. All the endlinks seem tight as well.
      Last edited by RVAE34; 05-28-2012 at 07:18 AM.

Almost forgot... I found one very strange issue with my car and not sure why. The console around the shifter/in front of the armrest storage compartment has been sprayed black with vinyl dye and is starting to peel. Looks like it was grey before. Does anyone have any idea why that would have been replaced and sprayed black? Hoping that doesn't mean someone recently did a lot of trans work and damaged the old one etc. It's really strange. The rest of the interior is pretty much immaculate.

Many 04'ers replaced center console with 05 version.
      2004 S60R 6MT, Red+Gobi, Factory Sport Kit, ARD Carbon tune, 10/15mm spacers, Drilled/Slotted rotors, Snabb turbo inlet, Evolve exhaust, OBX DP, Magmaflow Cat, IPD HD Coils, UR Bracers, so much more.

I will have to research the difference to see which I have. Or can you tell by my photo in my initial post? Thanks!

Front mount can be had from viva performance Or phuzzy Motorsport
      2004 S60R, black sapphire, nordikap, M66, Autotech Stage2, K&N, 3" DP, EST catback w/ EST res delete, viva HD CBV,viva FMIC, TWM short shift, snabb intake pipe, TME springs, IPD track spec sways.

Do you have lowering springs with the factory shocks?^ And if so how does it feel?

Yes I have TME lowering springs on the stock struts along with the track spec swaybar set from IPD and I love the feel not as crashy over bumps and stuff and less of a "floaty" feeling in sport and comfort on the highway.
      2004 S60R, black sapphire, nordikap, M66, Autotech Stage2, K&N, 3" DP, EST catback w/ EST res delete, viva HD CBV,viva FMIC, TWM short shift, snabb intake pipe, TME springs, IPD track spec sways.

Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
      Edited my profile. I am in Richmond, VA. Are there ever any East Coast Volvo meets etc?

And does anyone know where I can get a large front mount IC to replace this tiny little cute thing? I hadn't seen that on the FAQ's yet but I also haven't done too much searching. It's overwhelming when I am so familiar with the BMW stuff and have no clue where to begin on this forum.

Also curious if there is a common problem in the rear of these cars causing rattling over bumps. I also notice the bumpsteer from side to side. I know at the least the front strut is blown as it's leaking. But I swear I hear something in the rear that almost sounds like the hatch rattling but I really don't think that's it. Almost sounds like a subframe mount or something but they seem good. All the endlinks seem tight as well.
      Welcome to SS! Sorry I kind of took the weekend off or I would have answered more of your questions.

For a Front Mount IC to replace the crappy Dual Intercooler setup; here's a good start http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?173330

As for your front end rattles; they are a pain and I've been through stuff like that. Here's a small guide to get you started:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-side-to-side&
      04 S60 R MT Titanium Grey/Nordcap thread Copper Work VX-XX 19" Staggered | DP & Custom Quad Tip Exhaust | 05+ Conversion Exterior & Interior | Sport Kit
      12 XC60 Ice White Wifey's Family Hauler | 3.2 AWD | Heico Kit | Fast 19" FC04A | Running Boards
      IG: @devolvR

Quote Originally Posted by vLGrok View Post
      Many 04'ers replaced center console with 05 version.
      Well, in the picture the V70R still has the 04 cupholders, so I'd guess it's probably still the 04 console because half of the reason for switching out is to get the new cupholders...

Anyway, very nice cars, seems like some pretty good work there. Hopefully the 510 has found a new home where it gets treated well because that thing looks like it deserves it.
      Currently driving: 2012 Subaru Impreza WRX STi 5-door, 1991 940 Turbo sedan.
      Written off: 2005 S60R. Magic Blue/Nordkap Sold: 2004 S60 2.4i, 1987 740 Turbo

A retired lockheed martin engineer bought the 510 from me.

So far I can tell that everything up front is good except for that blown shock. But Since this is a strut type car, I assume it's standard procedure to do the front. I have read people referring to a strut removal tool though...

But Since this is a strut type car, I assume it's standard procedure to do the front. I have read people referring to a strut removal tool though...
      Strut Removal tool? It's likely for the Cross Shaped nut where you need to release strut from the spring. You can use a special tool for that, but a vice grip along with a hammer goes a long way and worked well for me.

Here's a guide for springs, but it's the same process except that you're swapping the front struts.
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?142266
      04 S60 R MT Titanium Grey/Nordcap thread Copper Work VX-XX 19" Staggered | DP & Custom Quad Tip Exhaust | 05+ Conversion Exterior & Interior | Sport Kit
      12 XC60 Ice White Wifey's Family Hauler | 3.2 AWD | Heico Kit | Fast 19" FC04A | Running Boards
      IG: @devolvR

You missed the biggest meet of the year by a week.
      (Last week was the Carlisle foreign and kit cars weekend and always has a HUGE Volvo turnout).

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-Photo-Gallery

IPD trac spec sway bars are a must along with the springs.
      There also are several smaller tricks you can do that will help your R out but you'll find them along the way.

These consoles always gets scratched, someone just used the wrong paint color when it was repainted.

Feel free to contact me, I was the first person to have TME springs (prototype set), and I have "a little" experience with modding V70Rs both my 04 and my 06!

I think with your (obvious) thorough work, your R will be a monster in good time.

Shot of my 04 from years ago!
      Last edited by JRL; 05-28-2012 at 10:32 AM.
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now near 141,000 miles and still near perfect!
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule! JUST SOLD.

Almost forgot... I found one very strange issue with my car and not sure why. The console around the shifter/in front of the armrest storage compartment has been sprayed black with vinyl dye and is starting to peel. Looks like it was grey before. Does anyone have any idea why that would have been replaced and sprayed black? Hoping that doesn't mean someone recently did a lot of trans work and damaged the old one etc. It's really strange. The rest of the interior is pretty much immaculate.
      That's normal- the soft-touch plastic peels off with abrasion and scratches.

Welcome to SS!!

You bring a level of knowledge/expertise about modding that will be greatly appreciated by many on this forum. We look forward to the reports of your endeavors as you discover your V70R.

The "bumpsteer" you mention is know as sidehop and the '04 Rs are notorious for it. Much has been reported/complained about it. A definitive solution that completely eliminates it has yet to be found although there are several things that have helped reduce it.

As was already mentioned, your center console is original. Many have updated it to the 05-07 style with the roll-back lid. The pen-holder is only available in 2004.

There are several different manufacturers who make lowering springs for the R: TME and Eibach. Elevate produces lowering springs but not specifically intended for the V70R.

Lots of options for the OEM replacement intercooler: FMIC models available from Bell, Viva, PhMIC, and various kits on e-Bay. IPD offers an intercooler replacement.

Your idea of converting the headlights to projectors is welcome. We look forward to your report on this project. The US-spec bi-xenon system fails to deliver the hi-beam performance desired. Euro-spec headlights solve that problems but for most of us are cost prohibitive.
      2015.5 V60 Polestar BSM #46 (SOLD)
      2014 XC60 R-Design Passion Red/Off Black, OSD, Savini BM7, lowered, swaybar, Koni FSD
      2006 V70R 6M
      ElecSilver/Nordkap, 18" Pegs, Bell FMIC
      2004 S60R 6M TiGrey/Nordkap, 18" Ti Pegs, Bell FMIC, IPD Stage II, Eibachs, Quaife LSD

Welcome to the forum. Very nice cars.

I personally think the 04VR was a better choice over the T5-R's. Sure the Canary T5-R's are unique, but then so are R's, plus so much has been improved in the P2 Volvos over Volvos of yore.

And those Gobi seats in your R are in great condition considering the mileage!
      2006 S60R GT

Welcome! That VR looks pretty darn clean!
      '05 Ti-Kap GT SR; MTE tune; Bell FMIC; TME DP, exhaust, & springs; IPD CAI; IPD HD coils; IPD TCV; AEM H20/MeOH kit w/ flow gauge; Viva CBV & strut bar conversion; SNABB inlet pipe; TD Pro Race 1.2 35ET 18x8's; 235/40 GY Eagle F1 Asym 2; Adam's Rotors w/Hawk HPS pads; IPD camber kit; IPD Track-spec sways; Elevate hood grilles; CF Werks spoiler; Prosport boost gauge w/ vent pod; LED DRL's; PIAA fogs; EST LED bulbs. CaR photo

37. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast