New member. Just got an 04 V70 R - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      I want to order a new front passenger side strut and have been searching but pricing is all over the map. Can anyone direct me on the best deal for a quality front passenger strut for the 04 V70 R?

I am finding factory struts for around $500.
      Last edited by RVAE34; 05-29-2012 at 09:34 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
      I want to order a new front passenger side strut and have been searching but pricing is all over the map. Can anyone direct me on the best deal for a quality front passenger strut for the 04 V70 R?

I am finding factory struts for around $500.
      You might want to check Tasca parts, or Rock Auto for the struts.
      04 S60 R MT Titanium Grey/Nordcap thread Copper Work VX-XX 19" Staggered | DP & Custom Quad Tip Exhaust | 05+ Conversion Exterior & Interior | Sport Kit
      12 XC60 Ice White Wifey's Family Hauler | 3.2 AWD | Heico Kit | Fast 19" FC04A | Running Boards
      IG: @devolvR

04 S60 R MT Titanium Grey/Nordcap thread Copper Work VX-XX 19" Staggered | DP & Custom Quad Tip Exhaust | 05+ Conversion Exterior & Interior | Sport Kit
      12 XC60 Ice White Wifey's Family Hauler | 3.2 AWD | Heico Kit | Fast 19" FC04A | Running Boards

Is that equivalent to the factory strut? It says OEM but want to be sure.
      Last edited by RVAE34; 05-29-2012 at 09:43 AM.

Is that equivalent to the factory strut? It says OEM but want to be sure.
      That's correct. Tasca is a Volvo Dealer and these would be factory parts with factory part numbers.

I'm trying to dig up the thread that mentions the Rock Auto equivalent struts directly from Monroe/ Tenneco.

Search for part# C2501 (front) and C1501 (rear) on RockAuto.
      2016 Chevy SS 6MT
      SOLD - 2004 S60R 6MT - TiGrey / Atacama, TME DP, Exhaust & Springs, CAI, PhMIC, IDP track spec sway bars, Ultra Racing front and rear chassis braces, GiroDisc two piece slotted rotors, Defi blue racer gauge in custom A-pillar pod, iMIV, VolvoTech CFE.

Quote Originally Posted by DarekP View Post
      Search for part# C2501 (front) and C1501 (rear) on RockAuto.
      Thanks.

Here's the thread I was talking about. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-so-EXPENSIVE&

Thanks for the help everyone. I ordered from Tasca. I read through that post and everyone seems to be up in the air about rock auto..
      Last edited by RVAE34; 05-29-2012 at 11:06 AM.

We have a massive Cars and Coffee crowd here in Richmond that meet every other Sat morning. I just made some calls and we should have 4 R wagons at the next one. My 04 black V70 R, my client's 04 silver V70 R, my friends 95 cream yellow T5-R wagon and another friend who has a white 96 850 R wagon. Should make for some great pix.

Thanks for the help everyone. I ordered from Tasca. I read through that post and everyone seems to be up in the air about rock auto..
      Just an FYI, I've ordered many parts from RockAuto and I've always been happy. It's the go-to source for many enthusiast communities when replacing stock parts. The only thing "up in the air" related that I've seen on this board is that the struts that are lower priced on RockAuto (there are two options) have much higher shipping than the other option (because they're coming from the UK). This is something you should always check when dealing with a company that ships from multiple locations. And RockAuto makes it clear to the purchaser when you're checking out what parts are coming from where.

Tasca is clearly good as well, I'll be getting my first shipment of stuff this week from them.
      Last edited by JonnyRock; 05-30-2012 at 03:48 PM.
      13 BRZ - World Rally Blue - Limited 6MT - "New Hotness"

SOLD... 04 V70R - Black Sapphire - Nordkap - GT - "The Wife's CaR"

It isn't RockAuto that is a problem, confusion was created by Monroe. We did not know what parts to order. R wasn’t listed on their web site.
      But now this shouldn’t be an issue, since Monroe updated their parts search engine.

C2501 and C1501 for S60R and V70R it is.
      2016 Chevy SS 6MT
      SOLD - 2004 S60R 6MT - TiGrey / Atacama, TME DP, Exhaust & Springs, CAI, PhMIC, IDP track spec sway bars, Ultra Racing front and rear chassis braces, GiroDisc two piece slotted rotors, Defi blue racer gauge in custom A-pillar pod, iMIV, VolvoTech CFE.

Wow!! Strut will be here tomorrow. That's fast!

Replaced the strut that was absolutely toast and it drives so much better. Still have a noise coming from the rear. More of a banging over bumps. Sway bar end links seem good as do the shocks. Any other usual suspects for the rear? It's not the hatch either as I drove with it open. Also removed all the tools, spare etc.

I've noticed that sometimes when the car sits for a while and I go to start, it will make a bit more noise for the first few seconds before it settles out and purrs like a kitten. Best way to describe it would be like an old benz diesel sound only not quite that bad. I think it does it more often when it sits for a few hours rather than overnight but not positive that's always the case. Never does it when it was just recently started. When it's completely cold it just idles high before settling but this is different. Is this normal?

Sounds like the hydraulic lifters are making noise. A oil and filterchange usually helps.

Good stuff. I had hopes that's what it was but my BMW has never done that in my 7 years of owning it. My datsun did it but they don't have lifters...

Finally got the car into a friend's shop for a full inspection. I do all my own work but I am not the best at diagnosing things. Which usually just leads to me throwing parts at the problem.

He found play in the passenger side tie rod, front sway bar mount bushings looked real bad and the driver side rear sway bar end link is toast. One thing I realized he didn't check which I am curious if it's a common failure would be the rear upper spring/shock mount. Do those generally go bad? It still feels to me that it has to be more than just the end link in the rear but at least the rear shocks are good. The exhaust hangers are all good as is the rear output shaft seal. All the engine mounts and control arms looked great as well. The lower passenger engine mount closest to the wheel was recently replaced.

Overall I am pretty happy. I certainly thought one of the rear shocks was blown. I can still tell the driver rear is the most worn of all 4 but it's still pretty good and not leaking any fluid. He thought the car was in terrific shape inside and out. And that the underside shows that the car has been well maintained

One other question. The front passenger side strut I just replaced had a little bit of fluid right around the output shaft. He thought that should be normal for a brand new one. Does that sound right to you guys as well?

Thanks

Curious what oil is recomended for these cars. I always use Penzoil 10W30 in the BMW. Also curious how hard it is to change the sway bar mount bushings. Looks like you have to lower the subframe to get to them

I'd go for the IPD track-spec sways instead of going through the trouble just to change the bushings on the stock bar. This is a highly desirable mod. For motor oil, I use Castrol Edge 30w "European formula."
      '05 Ti-Kap GT SR; MTE tune; Bell FMIC; TME DP, exhaust, & springs; IPD CAI; IPD HD coils; IPD TCV; AEM H20/MeOH kit w/ flow gauge; Viva CBV & strut bar conversion; SNABB inlet pipe; TD Pro Race 1.2 35ET 18x8's; 235/40 GY Eagle F1 Asym 2; Adam's Rotors w/Hawk HPS pads; IPD camber kit; IPD Track-spec sways; Elevate hood grilles; CF Werks spoiler; Prosport boost gauge w/ vent pod; LED DRL's; PIAA fogs; EST LED bulbs. CaR photo

But do you still need to drop the subframe to do the mod?

I am totally digging the 510 .
      - 2013 VW GTI
      - 1988 BMW M3
      - 2004 Volvo S60R
      - 2002 Volvo V70 2.4T

But do you still need to drop the subframe to do the mod?
      Yes. Here's a thread with some photos where someone did the install (personally, I paid my indy to take care of it). http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ars-w-o-a-Lift
      '05 Ti-Kap GT SR; MTE tune; Bell FMIC; TME DP, exhaust, & springs; IPD CAI; IPD HD coils; IPD TCV; AEM H20/MeOH kit w/ flow gauge; Viva CBV & strut bar conversion; SNABB inlet pipe; TD Pro Race 1.2 35ET 18x8's; 235/40 GY Eagle F1 Asym 2; Adam's Rotors w/Hawk HPS pads; IPD camber kit; IPD Track-spec sways; Elevate hood grilles; CF Werks spoiler; Prosport boost gauge w/ vent pod; LED DRL's; PIAA fogs; EST LED bulbs. CaR photo

Thanks! That doesn't look too bad.

I did the driver rear end link and the passenger outer tie rod yesterday and already the car drives a lot better. Still some minor issues with it but I think if I were to replace all the struts, spring seats and sway bars, this car would be like new again. Amazed at how easy this car has been to work on so far!

My dad and I got all our fun cars together for a shoot this evening. We lined them up by year. The BMW and Volvo are mine of course and then my dad has the 90, 73, 72, 72, 71 & 70.

grew up in Fall River, MA. Now live in Upstate NY
      Why would you buy 5 of the same car?
      2005 S60 2.5T AWD Dark Blue Metallic, 117k miles - Rica stg 2, 16T, whites, Snabb intake pipe&manifold spacer, 3" turbo back exhaust, IPD TCV, Forge CBV, ARD crank pulley, IPD HD end links/HD engine&trans mounts, Eibach springs/Bilstien struts, UR Racing Chassis braces, Drilled/slotted rotors/Hawk pads. Saving up for a 19T setup...

Senior Member 850arrrsaylikepirate's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by URO_S6O View Post
      Why would you buy 5 of the same car?
      They are different colors...

Obviously he likes them and it looks to be nice collection
      2006 S60R - Black Sapphire~Nordkap~GT~iPd Track Spec Sways~TME Springs~TME DP-Exhaust~Bell FMIC~iMIV~E-Codes
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD - aka the kiddo hauler
      1997 4x4 Nissan - Fook mi this thing is slow

He has one of every year. In all his favorite colors. And 2 72's. The orange one has 38k original miles, the silver has 41k original miles and none of them have over 80k miles. He loves Z's and loves restoring and working on them. I always ask him why not put a different engine in each but it's his money

There is a guy down in FL with 20+ 240z's. Almost all mint.

grew up in Fall River, MA. Now live in Upstate NY
      So when is he getting himself a 350/370Z?
      2005 S60 2.5T AWD Dark Blue Metallic, 117k miles - Rica stg 2, 16T, whites, Snabb intake pipe&manifold spacer, 3" turbo back exhaust, IPD TCV, Forge CBV, ARD crank pulley, IPD HD end links/HD engine&trans mounts, Eibach springs/Bilstien struts, UR Racing Chassis braces, Drilled/slotted rotors/Hawk pads. Saving up for a 19T setup...

He doesn't like the 260's, 280's, Z31 300's, 350's or 370's.

He doesn't like the 260's, 280's, Z31 300's, 350's or 370's.
      it's a nice collection he has for sure.

I kinda wish there were more 510's because i really love those. I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket. i'm looking for a winter ride to keep the R out of the salt but if a nice rust free 510 came a long i'd have a new project.

'05mt blk/atacama SR with a few mods
      '02 v.7 sti wagon-the winter beater
      '02 wrx stage 2 rebuild thread -sold
      "I mostly like to street race in school zones, simply because they show your trap speed on the digital display."-BroCo

I loved my 510. I miss it more and more every day. They are very rare indeed. I definitely plan to have another one day. I still keep in touch with the owner of "Miss Dottie" Which IMO, is the holy grail of original 510's.

I loved my 510. I miss it more and more every day. They are very rare indeed. I definitely plan to have another one day. I still keep in touch with the owner of "Miss Dottie" Which IMO, is the holy grail of original 510's.
      if you have more photos of your 510, please share.

I have a friend who has his setup for racing. I've considered getting it from him but I'd have to find an interior and remove the roll cage and it isn't exactly what i'd be looking for. They are pretty hard to find though and it's not getting any easier. someday.

"I mostly like to street race in school zones, simply because they show your trap speed on the digital display."-BroCo

This should be the link to the build. It was a great car

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1404980...7605008919930/

This should be the link to the build. It was a great car

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1404980...7605008919930/
      thanks, why did you sell? thats about exactly the look i'd be going for. I've saved this photo as a rough guide to what i was looking for-pretty damn close to the style of yours (i like your round mirrors much better)

Last edited by atacamaR; 06-11-2012 at 10:20 AM.

I just didnt drive it that much, had recently gotten married and almost doubled my money. I will have another. That one you posted looks just like my friend Jan Tronsden's car.

Is it normal for me to be able to grab the factory strut tower bar and move it around? I see it has bushings so not sure if it's supposed to do that. When i grab the center and shake it, there is quite a bit of play. Just trying to narrow down further suspension issues. I replaced the destroyed front passenger strut & spring hat, the driver rear sway bar end link and the front driver outer tie rod that had a shot ball joint. Still feeling quite a bit of looseness in suspension over major bumps.
      Last edited by RVAE34; 06-13-2012 at 04:56 PM.

37. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast