New member. Just got an 04 V70 R - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
      I just drove to the store and when it's on comfort or sport and I go over bumps, it feels like something is till worn as mentioned before. But when I set it on advanced and drive over the same bumps on the way back, it feels much better. I know it rides stiffer, but it didn't feel like anything was wrong on advanced. I need to set it on advanced when I drive downtown to really tell. Does this help narrow down any possibilities or is that normal since the sensor actually reads the conditions etc. ?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nothing new on the VR but thought I would update on one of my other projects for anyone interested. Got all the glass back in and top mostly mounted. Also got the passenger door panel etc in. Just needs new passenger front wheel bearing, new tires (I will paint the wheels satin silver at that time) and an alignment. I will have it all done for my wife's Bday next month. I gave her the car for xmas and have done new motor, steering rack, inner and outer tie rods, coilovers, door panels, all new rubber seals, 70's trim, early trunk and emblems, shaved the side markers, shaved the rocker and fender trim, stripped the car and painted it in my garage. Did all the work myself. I built the perfect cute cruiser for my beautiful misses

Gave her the first bath.

I have a total rager for that E34. Seriously, my favorite BMW. I miss my old e34 wagon now.

Sent while in DEFCON Brown.
      2004 S60R 6-spd - Black/Nordkap, 18" Pegs, OEM BT, GROM, doesn't need anything else - 113k
      2006 BMW 330i - The new wife-mobile
      1997 BMW 740iL - The extra car.

Great news! I just closed on my 15 year mortgage re-fi. Lumped the Volvo into it as well. No closing costs and no payments due until September. That means VR mod time.

I want to refresh the suspension and lower the car. Having a hard time deciding on which route to go. Torn b/t coilovers and springs with new 4c shocks. Also not sure which control arms I want to use. Also plan on doing the sway bars, subframe inserts and top enging mount from IPD. Then a new grill, Morimoto projector retro-fit, powdercoat the wheels, & tinting the windows 20 on the back 5 and 35 on the front 2.

Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
      Great news! I just closed on my 15 year mortgage re-fi. Lumped the Volvo into it as well. No closing costs and no payments due until September. That means VR mod time.

I want to refresh the suspension and lower the car. Having a hard time deciding on which route to go. Torn b/t coilovers and springs with new 4c shocks. Also not sure which control arms I want to use. Also plan on doing the sway bars, subframe inserts and top enging mount from IPD. Then a new grill, Morimoto projector retro-fit, powdercoat the wheels, & tinting the windows 20 on the back 5 and 35 on the front 2.

whoa, you can lump a car loan into a home refi?????? holy ****
      2004 S60R 6-spd - Black/Nordkap, 18" Pegs, OEM BT, GROM, doesn't need anything else - 113k

You can do whatever you want so long as your LTV (loan to value) is ok. I bought my house in 03 so I had quite a bit of equity in it. And my appraisal came in higher than expected. I actually chose the cash out option where they just send me a check for the difference. So I will send part of it to pay off the car use some to mod the car They could have dealt directly with the bank that holds the title for the car but I just wanted to send the check in myself.

You can do whatever you want so long as your LTV (loan to value) is ok. I bought my house in 03 so I had quite a bit of equity in it. And my appraisal came in higher than expected. I actually chose the cash out option where they just send me a check for the difference. So I will send part of it to pay off the car use some to mod the car They could have dealt directly with the bank that holds the title for the car but I just wanted to send the check in myself.
      Ah, i've had my house since 2009, and the appraised value has gone up about $20k since I got it. No idea how this loan junk works, I should probably just leave well enough alone since we aren't planning on staying at this house for the long haul. It was our first time purchase

I need your bimmer in my life.
      05 S60R MT - Catless - Snabb Intake hose - Elevate AMS - Elevate CBV - Custom Quad Exhaust - Custom Diffuser - Not Pegs - PCC Spoiler - CFW Front splitter - Eibach lowering springs - Elevate sways - more...

Quote Originally Posted by bimmerd00d View Post
      Ah, i've had my house since 2009, and the appraised value has gone up about $20k since I got it. No idea how this loan junk works, I should probably just leave well enough alone since we aren't planning on staying at this house for the long haul. It was our first time purchase
      What's your current rate if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by DrBrutal View Post
      I need your bimmer in my life.

Thanks!!!

What are most people using for control arms? OE or Meyle HD? Which is better? Don't think I would want poly control arm bushings. Also looking at the IPD billet engine bar mounts. Anyone using those and have any feedback? I will also be swapping out the upper engine mount to bar bushing and will go poly on that. I had read someone mention the best way to install it on an auto car is to put the car in drive and then torque it down to pre-load it. Is this correct?

TIA

Wow, that VW project looks nice - can't believe you painted it in your garage!

Yes, mortgage rates are very low - many folks can move from a 30 year to a 15 year and only pay a few dollars more every month.
      Past Volvos: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD
      Present Garage: '16 MX5 Club, '95 854 T-5R, '05 V70RGT, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Thanks! When I build or buy my next house in 4 years, I will add a paint booth to my garage. Can't wait! I have gotten pretty good at painting over the years and have yet to use a real booth. Can't imagine how nice it would turn out in a downdraft booth. These pix below taken just after being painted are my favorite. I keep thinking about painting the VR cream yellow or metallic brown. I really wanted a cream yellow 95 T5-R when I started looking but just couldn't convince the people I know with them to sell yet... I told the local guy I would still buy his European import yellow T5-R wagon though. I bet the VR would look awesome in that color.

Oh and someone please give me some feedback on the different control arms etc. Thanks

Last edited by RVAE34; 07-06-2012 at 08:46 AM.

I am seriously considering painting my VR cream yellow like the 95 T5-R's. Has anyone ever seen that color on the P2 cars?

Nope? I just always called that banana. But you're right, its a little softer.
      2004 S60R 6MT, Red+Gobi, Factory Sport Kit, ARD Carbon tune, 10/15mm spacers, Drilled/Slotted rotors, Snabb turbo inlet, Evolve exhaust, OBX DP, Magmaflow Cat, IPD HD Coils, UR Bracers, so much more.

Here is a quick photoshop I did of how I would want it to look with the trim etc. Just like the T5-R. I think it looks great and might have to take this on

Last edited by RVAE34; 07-07-2012 at 05:30 PM.

I don't know how I feel about the trim being that color.. maybe because it's just a photoshop... IMO the yellow looks really good. Black trim might look better with the yellow..
      Gone: 2004 s60r FG/Atacama
      2004.5 S40 2.4
      2000 Pontiac Trans Am (The Beast)
      2003 Chevrolet Suburban
      2004 Saturn Ion Redline (gas sipper)

The T5-R's trim was more grey than black. That's the only reason I went with that color. The stock blackish trim on my 04 would probably look good.

Here is a quick photoshop I did of how I would want it to look with the trim etc. Just like the T5-R. I think it looks great and might have to take this on

I fully support this.

And as far as control arms, I'm pretty sure I've read on here that Meyle is crap. It was a dozen or so pages back in the "What did you do to your R today?" thread.
      13 BRZ - World Rally Blue - Limited 6MT - "New Hotness"

SOLD... 04 V70R - Black Sapphire - Nordkap - GT - "The Wife's CaR"

Thanks for the tip.

Got the windows tinted yesterday. 5% on the back, 20% on the cargo sides and 35% on the roll downs.

I have a budget for some new parts of about $1500-2000 and cannot decide what to get. I recently replaced a blown front passenger strut and am thinking of getting the driver but since there are no VR TME springs available, I might wait until I find some. I considered the Eibachs but it seems from what I have read that the ride is pretty harsh.

Other items I am considering, Viva rear under the car chasis brace, new control arm bushings in poly and new ball joints as well as a new poly upper engine mount. Also considering a set of sway bars and the subframe inserts from IPD.

With that budget in mind, is there any other must have suggestions?

I know none of you know me as I am new here but my wife and I are finally telling everyone. I am going to be a dad in January And this is also the reason I bought the VR (even though I had already been looking for a yellow T5-R prior)

I am going to be a dad in January
      Congrats! & save the $1500 that you have budgeted for ugrades to spend on the kid
      Gone

Finished all the mechanical stuff in the Cabriolet I have been restoring for my wife. Put the first 50 miles on her and it drives great!

Is there general interest in reasonably shaped silver 18" pegs? I am going to order a new set in gunmetal and am wondering what mine might be worth. 3 have been re-finished in the past and one is mint and new.

Also still have yet to find anyone who can confirm speaker sizes in the VR without having to remove all the panels. Crutchfield doesn't have vehicle info on the R and a search here didn't yield any results either.
      Last edited by RVAE34; 08-07-2012 at 11:13 AM.

Hopefully someone can chime in^

Just ordered an IPD grill and Viva rear lower chasis brace Can't wait. New rear 4c shocks, IPD sways and lowering springs will be next.

Is there general interest in reasonably shaped silver 18" pegs? I am going to order a new set in gunmetal and am wondering what mine might be worth. 3 have been re-finished in the past and one is mint and new.

Also still have yet to find anyone who can confirm speaker sizes in the VR without having to remove all the panels. Crutchfield doesn't have vehicle info on the R and a search here didn't yield any results either.
      yes and yes. interested in the 18's but only want one LOL to complete a set.

just replaced the front woofers about 20 minutes ago. they 8" woofers, 3.5" mids and regular 2" tweeters.

installed some kenwood excelon kfc-x183c.

this is what needs to be done, razor blade off the cone, pop out the magnet and use the brackets that came with the new speakers.

sounds great and now there is more mids and bass.

2001 C70 Convertible HPT Factory Manual 93k.The following errors occurred with your submission

• Your signature contains too many lines and must be shortened. You have too much @#$@ in your car.

Awesome!! Amazed they have 8's in the doors!! That's terrific news. What about the rears?

Just added a set of black carpeted floor mats to my IPD order to replace the tan ones in there now. A lot of guys with M5's and caramel leather do this and it looks much better IMO

In addition to my black floor mats and IPD grill, I just ordered IPD anti-ping bolts and front subframe poly inserts.

Friday I paid a shop to do the timing belt, trans fluid flush/change and an alignment and then Saturday I installed the Viva rear lower chassis brace which is absolutey wonderful!!!

Also on order is my Pioneer 4400 7" touchscreen headunit, JL audio 12" W3 v3 2 as well as a JL audio digital jx5001 monoblock amp.
      2004 V70R Auto, Black sapphire- gobi l Snabb FMIC & downpipe l IPD 3" cat back exhaust l Evolve CAI l IPD sway bars l Viva rear lower chassis brace l 5/20/35 Tint l IPD grill l Pioneer 4400 HU l JL Audio W3 12" l JL Audio JX5001 digital monoblock amp l Anthracite powdercoated 18" pegs l Morimoto mini D2S bi-xenon projector retrofit
      2001 BMW E38 M7 build with fresh built E39 M5 S62 V8 and ESS supercharger/6 speed/M5 diff

Just placed an order with Wheel Collision to have 4 18" pegasus wheels powdercoated in the 17" Titan anthracite grey. Cannot wait to get them on the car. Then my silver ones will be for sale (probably individually and one is perfect and new)
      2004 V70R Auto, Black sapphire- gobi l Snabb FMIC & downpipe l IPD 3" cat back exhaust l Evolve CAI l IPD sway bars l Viva rear lower chassis brace l 5/20/35 Tint l IPD grill l Pioneer 4400 HU l JL Audio W3 12" l JL Audio JX5001 digital monoblock amp l Anthracite powdercoated 18" pegs l Morimoto mini D2S bi-xenon projector retrofit
      2001 BMW E38 M7 build with fresh built E39 M5 S62 V8 and ESS supercharger/6 speed/M5 diff

I'm on a roll Also just ordered Morimoto mini D2S projector and shrouds from the retrofit source to do a headlight retrofit. I did the TSX projectors in my BMW and love them so much!!

I plan on painting the inner housings and the IPD grill surround a medium gunmetal instead of the platinum bright silver to better match my new wheels.

Grill is finished. About to start on the headlights. Painting the housings the same color as the grill surround which is just a bit darker than the OEM surround but quite a bit darker than the headlight housings. I think the color change looks a little more aggresive but still subtle enought that it might be overlooked at first glance.

Also finished my wife's car.

Last edited by RVAE34; 08-18-2012 at 09:43 AM.

Got the lights open. 225 degrees at about 8 minutes in the oven and then pry open with a screwdriver.

Here is the color difference of the OEM vs new.

the color is great , but I am not sure if I feel comfortable with you abusing that USPS priority box like that .

37. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast