Oil in intercooler-to-throttle body pipe
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Oil in intercooler-to-throttle body pipe

Hi all. I am cleaning my throttle body. When I removed the intake-to-throttle body pipe, I noticed a decent amount of oil in there. I also noticed oil seeping out from the connection point where this pipe connects to the throttle body. Is this normal for our cars?

2005 S60R / Magic Blue / Sport Body Kit / 18" Graphite Pegs / raceS60r downpipe / races60r intake / K&N / Phuzzy TCV / Viva Headlight Wiper Blanks / Prosport EVO boost gauge / 35% tint / USA-SPEC iPod || Photos

I can't speak specifically to the R but this is generally normal in turbo cars. My turbo BMW got it before I added a catch can and my 95 Silvia build got oil blow by and it was all factory for the most part. I assume there is some type of PCV system in these cars and this could signal that the valve could be clogged up and needs replacing. Could also signal that the turbo needs re-building if it's really bad but yours doesn't look that way and I assume you have some miles on the car so I don't think it's anything to worry about. You may also want to get some MAF cleaner and clean the MAF if it's got oil on it as well. Just make sure you only use the correct cleaner and don't touch the MAF element.
      Last edited by RVAE34; 06-10-2012 at 12:15 PM.

grew up in Fall River, MA. Now live in Upstate NY
      I've seen worse to be honest on other models and other makes as well...
      2005 S60 2.5T AWD Dark Blue Metallic, 117k miles - Rica stg 2, 16T, whites, Snabb intake pipe&manifold spacer, 3" turbo back exhaust, IPD TCV, Forge CBV, ARD crank pulley, IPD HD end links/HD engine&trans mounts, Eibach springs/Bilstien struts, UR Racing Chassis braces, Drilled/slotted rotors/Hawk pads. Saving up for a 19T setup...

Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
      You may also want to get some MAF cleaner and clean the MAF if it's got oil on it as well. Just make sure you only use the correct cleaner and don't touch the MAF element.
      How would oil get on his MAF? Air with oil vapors in it shouldn't flow in reverse towards the MAF/air cleaner for it to get his sensor dirty....
      2005 S60 2.5T AWD Dark Blue Metallic, 117k miles - Rica stg 2, 16T, whites, Snabb intake pipe&manifold spacer, 3" turbo back exhaust, IPD TCV, Forge CBV, ARD crank pulley, IPD HD end links/HD engine&trans mounts, Eibach springs/Bilstien struts, UR Racing Chassis braces, Drilled/slotted rotors/Hawk pads. Saving up for a 19T setup...

Quote Originally Posted by URO_S6O View Post
      How would oil get on his MAF? Air with oil vapors in it shouldn't flow in reverse towards the MAF/air cleaner for it to get his sensor dirty....
      From the OP's sig "K&N" . Over oiling the air filter can cause oil on the MAF.

You are correct, no regular engine oil should ever get to the MAF.

2 different things.

And, fwiw, every turbo car I've ever owned has had a small amount of oil after the turbo. Tiny amounts seem to be ok, just clean them up once in a while...
      2004 S60R Auto Silver/Nordkap, 18" Pegs, Bob Villa mod, CAI mod, Trans cooler, HID fogs, SS brake lines, Stage 0 (again)... this is Volvo #16...
      1st Car - 1965 122S Amazon! A Volvo saved my life - 9/12/94
      "I like ours with the black trim better, at least it doesn't look like it was painted at Maaco!" = Mrs Paisley, on driving an 04...

Oh lol I didn't want to assume anything in case I missed it. But yeah unless he's soaking that filter in motor oil then there's no way it'd build up that much by the throttle body from an air cleaner, I was hoping that wasn't what he was suggesting.

Quote Originally Posted by URO_S6O View Post
      I just opened the hood and checked and you are correct. I assumed these cars were blow through and that the MAF read the actual air going into the cylinders.

Senior Member 850arrrsaylikepirate's Avatar
      OP, that's a normal amount of oil. All Volvo's do this.
      2006 S60R - Black Sapphire~Nordkap~GT~iPd Track Spec Sways~TME Springs~TME DP-Exhaust~Bell FMIC~iMIV~E-Codes
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD - aka the kiddo hauler
      1997 4x4 Nissan - Fook mi this thing is slow

Did you ever figure out what this was? I have the same problem with my 2.5t xc90 you can see oil on the TB pipe from underneath the car and it will drip Very slow. I showed this to mu friend who is a Volvo technician and he didn't know why that was there either, nor did he think it was a big deal. If anybody has any input or knowledge with this it would be greatly appreciated

The oil is a combo of PCV and Turbo Seals leaking a slight amount. Every single turbo car ever made leaks oil from the turbo even when they are brand new. So don't worry about the oil its a non-problem and completely normal. If you start chewing through alot of oil then you need to be concerned but it looks normal.

The oil is a combo of PCV and Turbo Seals leaking a slight amount. Every single turbo car ever made leaks oil from the turbo even when they are brand new. So don't worry about the oil its a non-problem and completely normal. If you start chewing through alot of oil then you need to be concerned but it looks normal.

-Your Pal
      Fishey

P.S. Just be glad you don't have a direct injected turbo motor..

Quote Originally Posted by Fishey View Post
      Best explanation +1
      2006 Volvo S60R GT - Polestar Blue w/ Black Wheels - Nordkap
      Performance ARD: Carbon Tune | Snabb: Intake pipe | IPD: AMS | VIVA: Upgraded CBV | CNT: Downpipe

1995 Volvo 850 Turbo - White w/ Peg Reps - Beige

very good thank you Fishey!