SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Oil in intercooler-to-throttle body pipe

11K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Cameron115 
#1 ·
Hi all. I am cleaning my throttle body. When I removed the intake-to-throttle body pipe, I noticed a decent amount of oil in there. I also noticed oil seeping out from the connection point where this pipe connects to the throttle body. Is this normal for our cars?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I can't speak specifically to the R but this is generally normal in turbo cars. My turbo BMW got it before I added a catch can and my 95 Silvia build got oil blow by and it was all factory for the most part. I assume there is some type of PCV system in these cars and this could signal that the valve could be clogged up and needs replacing. Could also signal that the turbo needs re-building if it's really bad but yours doesn't look that way and I assume you have some miles on the car so I don't think it's anything to worry about. You may also want to get some MAF cleaner and clean the MAF if it's got oil on it as well. Just make sure you only use the correct cleaner and don't touch the MAF element.

#4 ·
You may also want to get some MAF cleaner and clean the MAF if it's got oil on it as well. Just make sure you only use the correct cleaner and don't touch the MAF element.
How would oil get on his MAF? Air with oil vapors in it shouldn't flow in reverse towards the MAF/air cleaner for it to get his sensor dirty....

#3 ·
I've seen worse to be honest on other models and other makes as well...

#6 ·
Oh lol I didn't want to assume anything in case I missed it. But yeah unless he's soaking that filter in motor oil then there's no way it'd build up that much by the throttle body from an air cleaner, I was hoping that wasn't what he was suggesting.

#9 ·
Did you ever figure out what this was? I have the same problem with my 2.5t xc90 you can see oil on the TB pipe from underneath the car and it will drip Very slow. I showed this to mu friend who is a Volvo technician and he didn't know why that was there either, nor did he think it was a big deal. If anybody has any input or knowledge with this it would be greatly appreciated

#10 ·
The oil is a combo of PCV and Turbo Seals leaking a slight amount. Every single turbo car ever made leaks oil from the turbo even when they are brand new. So don't worry about the oil its a non-problem and completely normal. If you start chewing through alot of oil then you need to be concerned but it looks normal.

#11 ·
The oil is a combo of PCV and Turbo Seals leaking a slight amount. Every single turbo car ever made leaks oil from the turbo even when they are brand new. So don't worry about the oil its a non-problem and completely normal. If you start chewing through alot of oil then you need to be concerned but it looks normal.

-Your Pal
Fishey

P.S. Just be glad you don't have a direct injected turbo motor..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.