Coilovers--Removing Helper Springs and Perches--Pros and Cons
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Coilovers--Removing Helper Springs and Perches--Pros and Cons

My ST coilovers came in the mail today () and am planning to install them on Friday. I've been reading a few threads here and over on vortex regarding the helper springs. I know that there was recently a thread addressing the same issue, but I'm not sure if it was directly addressed or not (and this might be a clearer way to address these issues).

My coils came with the helper springs seated below the main spring rather than above it--in some pictures I see that the helpers are above the main spring. Does this orientation matter?

First, I should say that these may go low enough in the front to not worry about removing the helper springs, but I've also read that removing them in some cases actually improves the ride quality (others say helpers have nothing to do with ride quality at all). Thoughts on this? Also, it seems that removing the helper spring will actually leave the spring unloaded on the strut when not under load (if dropped low enough). Is this something to worry about?

I'm most worried about the rear coilovers not being low enough (but again, I won't know until I actually see them on the car). In this case, does removing the adjustable perches pose any threat to ride quality or structural integrity?

My aim is to completely eliminate wheel gap in the front and rear (and perhaps tuck a smidge of tire). Let's not talk fender work here, I know I'll need to do a lot of it.

Any input is appreciated as I know next to nothing about coilovers, just that I have them and can't wait to put them on!

EDIT* See these threads for some reference:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...tall-questions
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...highlight=maxx
      Last edited by Revolve40; 06-13-2012 at 10:44 AM.
      '06 S40 T5 - 1 - 2 - 3
      '83 242ti GLT - My New Money Pit

Revolve40's (re)Build Thread

interested in this thread. My KW V1's are arriving today. (Expected by end of day) cant wait to install them. i also want a look of tuck tires. well ill see my options once they arrived.
      can you please post pix once installed? ill do the same and use this thread.

cheers and good luck!
      2006 S40 T5, OEM Subwoofer, OEM Pedals, OEM Garmin 765 GPS, OEM Rubber Mats, OEM Trunk Mat, LED Licence Plate, OEM Sports Steering, OEM Trunk Spoiler, BSR Exhaust Cat Back, Evolve Rear Diffuser with custom grills. EST foot rest. Vanilla 19's. SPC Camber, Michelin Super Sport 225/35/19, KW V1.

My H&R kit didn't come with helper springs, although the kit we had on the STI did in which we ran them as advised by the tech support. If stance is mainly what u are after then I would go whatever route necessary that's safe to get your desired drop.

I have found that so far on every coilover the fronts can be dropped more than the car can even function down the road. It's always been the rears that don't allow sufficient drop to even out the stance.

I run mid adjustment front and no perch just springs in the rear and just barely looks evened out. I would leave them in, set to desired height if possible, and drive it to see for yourself how u like the ride and handling.
      TheRetrofitSource | 2020 Motorsports | RTernie | H&R Springs | Import Meet | Girodisc

Current: E46M (daily) | S40 T5 (grocery getter)
      Past: NA1 NSX | Acura TL | LS-T DC4

I was the one that did the V-Maxx review.
      With the helper springs installed on that kit, the helpers were 95% compressed with the adjusters at full low. When increasing the height for more reasonable driveability, the helpers would be first to comress, leaving you with a couble inches of solid coiled up spring. This is absolutely useless.

Ideally with no weight of the car on the suspension, you want the helpers to be slightly compressed and the entire assembly snug.
      You will have to assemble your kit and see if the helpers are useable or not...

The rears adjuster plates made the car stock height at full low. And in my opinion, they would make the setup less safe as the main support piece was maybe an inch and a half of alumnium poking through a hole on the lower arm. Also the stock lower spring seat has a little pocket for the spring to sit in. Much more secure IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Sp1kE View Post
      I was the one that did the V-Maxx review.
      With the helper springs installed on that kit, the helpers were 95% compressed with the adjusters at full low. When increasing the height for more reasonable driveability, the helpers would be first to compress, leaving you with a couple inches of solid coiled up spring. This is absolutely useless.

Ideally with no weight of the car on the suspension, you want the helpers to be slightly compressed and the entire assembly snug.
      This is exactly what the helper springs are for!

A hack can (and has) just keep cutting the stock springs until they reach the desired ride height. Now you have springs with wildly incorrect rates & in the case of the rear it may just fall out & roll down the street when the suspension goes to full droop.

With the suspension at full droop (shock fully extended) you want the spring/s to have some tension & not just rattle around or worse. Now... since you want your car lower you'll need a shorter spring of the correct rate. Here's where the helper comes in. It's a lighter spring that will collapse fully when the car is loaded. At this point it's no spring at all, the full load is handled by the main spring (with proper spring rate). When the suspension extends the helper will extend as well to take up the free space & keep the spring properly seated.

Now that you know the basics I think you can make your own informed decision on what to do.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

No one is cutting springs.
      The issue in these kits, mine anyways, is the helpers were fully compressed at full droop, adjusted at full low. Leaving them absolutely useless