Sachio's Boost Gauge Install
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Sachio's Boost Gauge Install

hey Swedespeeders,
      Pics and details below of my version of a boost gauge install. i know, i know, digital meters aren't the best choice. i prefer a mechanical gauge but i just couldn't figure out a place to put one that i was happy with.

regardless of the above, i'm pretty happy with the way this turned out. I bought a China made boost gauge off of eBay - i think a New Dragon gauge. i bench tested it against a high quality gauge i have and it reads very nearly the same. Now that i know this works, i can put a higher quality gauge in if this one breaks.

Taking apart the mirror was easier than i thought. a slim bone tool to pry off the back from the front cover and everything came apart. Taking the boost gauge apart was easier since i didn't care about damaging the case.

Once i saw the size of the LED's on the gauge, i could measure and tape off the respective area on the back of the mirror to locate them to.

the reflective etching on the back of the mirror is pretty easy to remove. i taped off a rectangle and patiently scraped it off with a sharp xacto.

next, i had to remove the LED's from the PCB and wire them to their original connections so everything could fit inside the mirror casing.
      Mounting the LED's to the mirror was the hardest part. i cut a small piece of the gauge lens and used double stick tape to fasten it to the mirror. i used two 2-56 bolts through the LED mount PCB and screwed it to the gauge lens. i thought of using RTV to attach the LED to the mirror but i didn't have any.

When i was ready to put everything back together, i put some foam around the PCB to secure it within the mirror housing.
      then drilled a hole in the back mirror housing to feed the wire through.
      snapped everything back together again.

From this point, it was simply a matter of wiring a typical digital gauge. i ran the wire up over the headliner and down the pillar and went through the same location to get to the engine bay that IPD details for their gauge install. I picked up switched power from the cigarette lighter at the radio.

I could take this a step further and find a set of LED's that are green/yellow to match the dash lighting but i like the blue digits in the mirror!

Let me know what you all think.
      2005 V70R Passion Red : Evolve Springs : IPD Track Spec Sways : Ultra Racing Chassis Braces : IPD Rear Camber Bushing Kit : TWM Short Shifter : MOMO Shift Knob : IPD Downpipe : Snabb Intake Kit : Viva CBV : Resonator Delete : PU Rear Toe Link Bushing : PU Front LCA Bushing : IPD HD Coilpacks : AVIC-x950bh : Aftermarket Stealth Subwoofer : Viva Single Mass Fly / OE Clutch : Motor Replaced : Custom Digital Boost Gauge : RICA Stage II : Snabb FMIC :

for trying something different.
      2005 Volvo S60R Ti/Nordkap *NAV, Climate Package, Premium Package, 18" Flat Black Retarded Flying Horse Wheels, 10mm spacers (all around), Engine Stabilizer Upper Polyurethane Bushing, HD Polyurethane Transmission Mount, Polyurethane Upper Engine Mount, GROM iPOD unit, 2 10" Infinity Subs, Phuzzy Motorsports HD-TCV, 3.5" Air Intake, Green Calipers, UR Brace Bars (Upper Front and Rear), IPD DEM Shield*

Very nice. I like it!
      2005 V70R~Silver~Nordkap~iPd Track Spec Sways~CJ Adj Toe Bars,TME Springs~Race S60R DP and FMIC~Mototec Exhaust~VST Monoblocks~Black E-Codes
      2007 XC90~Silver~Graphite~4.4~HEICO's~Factory Dual Exhaust

Clever! Nicely done and good write up! What's not to like
      2006 S60R MT //Sapphicap//Sport_Premium_Climate_Convenience//18" OZ Ultraleggeras//TME Springs//phMIC//Viva SM Flywheel//OBX DP//Ipd: Boost Gauge & Poly Upper Engine + Trans Mount//Bob Vila//EST Exhaust//Fitzy Gauge Pod//

1999 Chevy Suburban. Beastly.

Looks awesome!

You can see how much boost you're running as the people behind you are losing!
      05 S60R MT - Home made catless downpipe - Powerslot rotors - ARD Kevlar with 11 Blade Compressor wheel

Fakkin awesome! Do mine? Lol
      2005 Volvo S60R MT Mystic Silver Metallic -Custom Tuned-KW V2 Suspension-All Powerflex Bushings
      Garret:|GTX3576R|TIAL:|QR Recirc Valve|MV-R 44mm External Wastegate|Custom:|Intake|Full 3" Exhaust w/ Borla Xr-1|FMIC|UR:|Chassis Braces|AEM:|Water/Meth Kit 441cc Nozzle|5-0:|750cc Injectors|Audi:|B6 S4 MAF|IPD:|Poly Mounts-V70R Sways|BUILD THREAD

Clean install, looks outstanding. Great work!
      Current Volvos: '04 S60R GT Titanium/Atacama - '87 740GLE
      Past Volvos: '02 V70 XC - '91 740

while your at it install a compass in mine and my Valentine 1 display
      2004 S60 R Titanium Nordkap 6MT. IPD Stage 2 Software. OBX DP W/ Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust. Sparco Shifter R-Kelly Intake. VIVA Steel Brake Lines. Autometer Gauges.

Extra credit for trying something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrrrmaniac View Post
      while your at it install a compass in mine and my Valentine 1 display
      +1
      2007 S60 R GT Titanium Grey - BUILD THREAD
      1997 VW Jetta 2.0 - Daily Beater
      IG: @boostedR

That looks awesome!!! Can you provide a link to the gauge plz?

This is the seller i bought the gauge from. It also has an overboost warning LED that's set at 21psi. It will come in handy when i load my stage 2 Rica tune. :-)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150831315876...84.m1438.l2649

Sent from my SGH-T849 using Tapatalk 2
      2005 V70R Passion Red : Evolve Springs : IPD Track Spec Sways : Ultra Racing Chassis Braces : IPD Rear Camber Bushing Kit : TWM Short Shifter : MOMO Shift Knob : IPD Downpipe : Snabb Intake Kit : Viva CBV : Resonator Delete : PU Rear Toe Link Bushing : PU Front LCA Bushing : IPD HD Coilpacks : AVIC-x950bh : Aftermarket Stealth Subwoofer : Viva Single Mass Fly / OE Clutch : Motor Replaced : Custom Digital Boost Gauge : RICA Stage II : Snabb FMIC :

Quote Originally Posted by DrBrutal View Post
      Looks awesome!

You can see how much boost you're running as the people behind you are losing!
      2006 Volvo S60 2.5T - The Older I Get, The Better I Was

Quote Originally Posted by DMac0013 View Post
      OF course they're loosing if they're racing you in REVERSE!!! lol....

back to topic - amazing install! really really fantastic work -good job.
      But my only thing is it will be kind of weird to look at your boost when you're at WOT etc...
      2004 S60R 6MT Tuned by Autotech
      CLICK HERE for Build Thread

My other money pit: 2006 XC70 CLICK HERE

Quote Originally Posted by tomedkaz View Post
      OF course they're loosing if they're racing you in REVERSE!!! lol....

back to topic - amazing install! really really fantastic work -good job.
      But my only thing is it will be kind of weird to look at your boost when you're at WOT etc...
      When he's checking the rear view mirror at wot for cops, he can check his boost at the same time
      2007 S60 R GT Titanium Grey - BUILD THREAD
      1997 VW Jetta 2.0 - Daily Beater
      IG: @boostedR

Quote Originally Posted by Sachio View Post
      This is the seller i bought the gauge from. It also has an overboost warning LED that's set at 21psi. It will come in handy when i load my stage 2 Rica tune. :-)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150831315876...84.m1438.l2649

Wow!! Very clean. I really like this for a daily driver. I want this.

1. So is the overboost warning display within the mirror installation?

2. If you were going for the higher quality and price was not a concern, what gauge would you be looking at?
      2007 S60R GT Black SapphireMetallic/Gobi | 18" Machined Pegs | Ceramic Thermal Tint
      KW:V2 Michelin:265/35R18 17mm Spacers Rear+235/40R18 12mm Spacers Front IPD:Ceramic Coated Downpipe/Track Sways Phuz:PhMIC UR:Strut Braces Setrab:Oil & Trans Coolers Custom Ceramic Coat:Dual Exhaust & Exhaust Manifold TKi:Endlinks/Toebar AEM:Meth Inj ARD/RZ: MultiMap UltraViolet/R32 Turbo Upgrade

Exactly. This a daily driver.

I'm conditioned to look at the dash for engine stuff, so I found myself looking down instead of up to look at boost. But after a day, i've gotten used to looking at the mirror.

I guess if i were to look at another gauge i would look at an AEM. But i'm really limited with what i can fit in that mirror housing and whether i can remotely mount the LED's.

Right now the warning light backlights around the LED display. I thought about mounting it someplace else, but that's a project for another day.

Clever, I like it!
      '05 Ti-Kap GT SR; MTE tune; Bell FMIC; TME DP, exhaust, & springs; IPD CAI; IPD HD coils; IPD TCV; AEM H20/MeOH kit w/ flow gauge; Viva CBV & strut bar conversion; SNABB inlet pipe; TD Pro Race 1.2 35ET 18x8's; 235/40 GY Eagle F1 Asym 2; Adam's Rotors w/Hawk HPS pads; IPD camber kit; IPD Track-spec sways; Elevate hood grilles; CF Werks spoiler; Prosport boost gauge w/ vent pod; LED DRL's; PIAA fogs; EST LED bulbs. CaR photo

I'm conditioned to look at the dash for engine stuff, so I found myself looking down instead of up to look at boost. But after a day, i've gotten used to looking at the mirror.

I guess if i were to look at another gauge i would look at an AEM. But i'm really limited with what i can fit in that mirror housing and whether i can remotely mount the LED's.

Right now the warning light backlights around the LED display. I thought about mounting it someplace else, but that's a project for another day.

I may have misunderstood you when you said "i can put a higher quality gauge in if this one breaks. " I thought you meant a higher quality LED gauge.
      2007 S60R GT Black SapphireMetallic/Gobi | 18" Machined Pegs | Ceramic Thermal Tint
      KW:V2 Michelin:265/35R18 17mm Spacers Rear+235/40R18 12mm Spacers Front IPD:Ceramic Coated Downpipe/Track Sways Phuz:PhMIC UR:Strut Braces Setrab:Oil & Trans Coolers Custom Ceramic Coat:Dual Exhaust & Exhaust Manifold TKi:Endlinks/Toebar AEM:Meth Inj ARD/RZ: MultiMap UltraViolet/R32 Turbo Upgrade

looks pretty cool, you should take a video
      '05 S60R|19" Pegs|Black Pegs Winter Setup|iPd Tune|Eibachs|R Kelly Intake|Evolve Exhaust|OBX Down Pipe|Custom Grille|Red Caliper Rs|HID Fogs|Debadged|10/15mm Spacers|Eurosport Pedals|Pioneer HU w/ Wireless OBDII|
      '04 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black|Alcantara M-Stich Wheel, Shift Boot, & Ebrake|Scorza Exhaust|CSL CF Splitters & Rear Diffuser|

Cool - should get IPD or someone to work this up as a kit or a mirror upgrade (return yours for redemption of 'core charge'). Come to think of it, you could start a little cottage industry...

Note, my '07 has the green digital compass readout there, so boost would have to be beside it or on the other side.
      KECA Kombi ('07 V70R GT) - IPD Stage I tune, Kelly intake, silicone intake and radiator tubing, poly strut bar bushings, poly lower transmission mount, and poly sub-frame bushings. EST wheel spacers (5 mm front, 10 mm rear), Euro side-mirror conversion, interior LEDs kit, and SS braided brake hoses. Elevate poly ('square') upper engine mount. Centric drilled/slotted rotors and Akebono pads.

Is it possible to split the warning light from the gauge? If so, the most obvious place for it would be somewhere near the tach.
      2004 V70 T5M: Platinum Green Bob Villa mod | boost gauge | poly mounts | Snabb intake | IPD sways | Koni yellow struts | KYB monotube shocks http://imgur.com/a/0MRgX
      2006 Mazda5 Touring 5MT the runabout
      1991 Celica that replaces the smashed 1996 Ram 1500 my first and last Toyota

Quote Originally Posted by thaxman View Post
      Is it possible to split the warning light from the gauge? If so, the most obvious place for it would be somewhere near the tach.
      yeah, i could split off the warning light. and the obvious place would be next to the tach. but i think a little red light next to the gauge readout on the mirror will catch my eye better - keep it all together.
      i'll probably hit peak boost before i hit redline.

i didn't know the '07's had a compass on the mirror... i might have looked for an '07 mirror and worked off of that instead of using mine. it worked out in the end, tho.

Looks really good!
      2006 Volvo S60R - Magic Blue/Nordkap - 6MT - Navi
      MODS: Phuz HD-TCV, Snabb Short Shifter & Turbo Intake, FMIC, OBX DP, IPD HD coil, Viva HD CBV, ARD Pulley, 10MM/15MM Wheel spacers, Evolve Springs,