Recommended Oil for S60R - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
      You have no idea about engine development you have no experience in the industry, you are wasting everyone's time with your ignorant, illogical and irrational opinions.
      My Cars:
      VW Bora V5 (totally boring) in process of trying to get rid off
      Volvo V70R AWD // Ferrita DP + Exhaust // EST Strut Brace // IPD Track Sways // IPD Rear End Links // IPD/RallyTek mk2 HD TCV // Front LCA Polys // Elevate Intake // Snabb Intake Pipe // Samco Silicone hoses // IPD Throttle Silicone hose // Forge CBV //

The Fuchs Titan GT1 is cheaper than the Castrol Edge, and the Mobil 1 ESP is the cheapest of them all. Which one should I go for?

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-975-fuch...0-vw50700.aspx

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-713-cast...ngine-oil.aspx

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-6362-mob...ngine-oil.aspx

Why would anyone put 0w oil in their caR? It just burns up like crazy. Run 10w30 year round, there's no reason not to.
      05 S60R MT - Home made catless downpipe - Powerslot rotors - ARD Kevlar with 11 Blade Compressor wheel

Quote Originally Posted by DrBrutal View Post
      Why would anyone put 0w oil in their caR? It just burns up like crazy. Run 10w30 year round, there's no reason not to.
      Months ago a buddy got me a good deal on a large supply of Mobil1 0w-40 lol. Been running it since, and nope, haven't noticed any burning at all.
      2006 Volvo S60 R | GT | Passion Red | ///S2R
      { COMFORT | SPORT | ADVANCED }
      "PRACTICE SAFE SEX, MAKE LOVE IN A VOLVO."

Answer : Winter.

In jan-feb, the temp comes down to -25C even worse some rare times.

Quote Originally Posted by maxenar View Post
      Months ago a buddy got me a good deal on a large supply of Mobil1 0w-40 lol. Been running it since, and nope, haven't noticed any burning at all.
      +1
      "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke
      2007 S60R Magic Blue Metallic/Gobi MT (IPD intercooler, Hawk ceramics)
      2013 XC60 T6 Saville Grey Metallic/Black (wife's)
      http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/reward2/library/

So should I switch from OW30? I do have to add a little oil between changes. Would this not happen with the 10W30? what is your oil consumption between changes?

This thread has gotten a little to technical for someone who was just asking about recommended oil, lol!
      2006 Sonic V70R GT 82k
      1995 T-5R Wagon, Yellow 258k
      1997 Red 850R 200k+
      1990 F350 4x4 CC Centurion 7.3IDI 114k

Quote Originally Posted by maronha View Post
      So should I switch from OW30? I do have to add a little oil between changes. Would this not happen with the 10W30? what is your oil consumption between changes?

This thread has gotten a little to technical for someone who was just asking about recommended oil, lol!
      Well, I normally used 10w30 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter (on my S40) and it was fine, I decided to put some 0w40 in one winter, and I burned through a quart in about 1.5K miles. I put in 5w30 and it was normal again... Never used 0w since. Even if it gets to -25F 10w30 or 5w30 is still perfectly fine. There's even a chart in the car manual which shows the stable temperatures for oil weights. Some of the DSM guys run 15w50 year round.

You have to keep in mind. Any oil with a "W" in it, is technically a "winter" oil. The thicker an oil is, the better your compression will be, and the longer it will last (the oil life that is). The thinner it is, the more combustion gasses get past the piston rings and make it dirty. Newer cars (like new toyotas specifically) they use a 0w oil from factory because their clearances in the engine (pistons, bearings, piston rings etc etc) are so small that a thicker oil would lower the efficiency and actually lower fuel economy. In a car with high miles, you should really want to use a heavier oil since your clearances are only getting larger and larger over time, and the thicker oil will make up for the gaps that get larger and larger.

This website will tell you a lot about oil.
      Last edited by DrBrutal; 08-08-2012 at 12:03 AM.
      05 S60R MT - Home made catless downpipe - Powerslot rotors - ARD Kevlar with 11 Blade Compressor wheel

So...

Fuchs Titan GT1 vs Castrol Edge vs Mobil 1 ESP

Can someone just pick one for me?!

Well, I normally used 10w30 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter (on my S40) and it was fine, I decided to put some 0w40 in one winter, and I burned through a quart in about 1.5K miles. I put in 5w30 and it was normal again... Never used 0w since. Even if it gets to -25F 10w30 or 5w30 is still perfectly fine. There's even a chart in the car manual which shows the stable temperatures for oil weights. Some of the DSM guys run 15w50 year round.

You have to keep in mind. Any oil with a "W" in it, is technically a "winter" oil. The thicker an oil is, the better your compression will be, and the longer it will last (the oil life that is). The thinner it is, the more combustion gasses get past the piston rings and make it dirty. Newer cars (like new toyotas specifically) they use a 0w oil from factory because their clearances in the engine (pistons, bearings, piston rings etc etc) are so small that a thicker oil would lower the efficiency and actually lower fuel economy. In a car with high miles, you should really want to use a heavier oil since your clearances are only getting larger and larger over time, and the thicker oil will make up for the gaps that get larger and larger.

This website will tell you a lot about oil.

Mobil 1 0w40 is actually thicker (in terms of kinematic viscosity) than Mobil 1 5w30 at all temperatures above -25 fahrenheit/-31 Celsius. Here is a graph of kinematic viscosity comparing Mobil 1 0w40 to Mobil 1 5w30 vs. temperature:

p.s. I removed mobil 1 10w30 from the graph, but it is actually only thicker than mobil 1 0w40 below about +50 fahrenheit/+10 celsius. If your summer temperatures stay above +50F/+10C the 0w40 will be thicker than 10w30 even for the summer.
      Last edited by soupandspoons; 08-08-2012 at 06:06 AM.
      04 VR Ti/Atacama MT

I couldn't wait any longer so I have gone for Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30

5W-30 is the recommended grade according to the manual for the UK market. It doesn't get arctic cold here and it doesn't get scorching hot either so I guess its the correct one.

Quote Originally Posted by soupandspoons View Post
      Mobil 1 0w40 is actually thicker (in terms of kinematic viscosity) than Mobil 1 5w30 at all temperatures above -25 fahrenheit/-31 Celsius. Here is a graph of kinematic viscosity comparing Mobil 1 0w40 to Mobil 1 5w30 vs. temperature:

p.s. I removed mobil 1 10w30 from the graph, but it is actually only thicker than mobil 1 0w40 below about +50 fahrenheit/+10 celsius. If your summer temperatures stay above +50F/+10C the 0w40 will be thicker than 10w30 even for the summer.

That's interesting, thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
      So...

Fuchs Titan GT1 vs Castrol Edge vs Mobil 1 ESP

Can someone just pick one for me?!

I don't EVER want to stand behind you in a Subway restaurant...
      2001 Dodge Stratus Coupe, 6G72 3.0L V6, 5-Speed Manual - Sold
      2010 Dodge Challenger SE, 3.5L V6, 5-Speed Automatic
      2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe, 8.0L V10, T56 Tremec 6-Speed Manual
      2005 Volvo S60 R, 2.5 I5, 6-Speed Manual

Quote Originally Posted by TheViperMan View Post
      I don't EVER want to stand behind you in a Subway restaurant...
      Actually laughed at that comment!!

Yep, sent from my rooted, rommed Galaxy Nexus....
      98 T5M, IPD ECU, OBX Turbo back, KW Variant II coilovers, 17x8 OZ Supperleggeras, Snabb pipe, Short shift kit, IPD Sway Bars, IPD Strut Brace, blah blah blah and more to come for sure aka - MADSPEED

Quote Originally Posted by TWMn View Post
      Castrol Edge 5W-30 year around. Can usually get a good price getting the big jug and a qt. at Walmart
      Walmart has the large Jugs of Moble 1 ESP for $29. It's a true 100% synth.
      Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****, what a ride!"

Rotella T6 5-40 in the subaru and I'm now switching to that for the R. I get lazy and let the dealer do my oil changes in the winter. They've stopped using syntec and switched to mobil 1, i never have good results with mobil 1, since the switch in 3 oil changes i've had low oil, never with castrol syntec. My subaru ran smoother/quieter with the rotella. That is what the volvo is being switched to.

also someone mentioned that 10w-30 was what they said volvo stated for their R, pretty sure my '05 specifies 5w-30. at any rate I'll be perfectly fine with 5w-40
      '05mt blk/atacama SR with a few mods
      '02 v.7 sti wagon-the winter beater
      '02 wrx stage 2 rebuild thread -sold
      "I mostly like to street race in school zones, simply because they show your trap speed on the digital display."-BroCo

Ahhhh, ive also had good results with Rotella!

Yep, sent from my rooted, rommed Galaxy Nexus....
      98 T5M, IPD ECU, OBX Turbo back, KW Variant II coilovers, 17x8 OZ Supperleggeras, Snabb pipe, Short shift kit, IPD Sway Bars, IPD Strut Brace, blah blah blah and more to come for sure aka - MADSPEED

I used 5w30 again this year.... but.... given our cars are HPT, I'm thinking it gets scorching hot under the hood.

Would 5w40 be a better overall choice? Here in the UK the coldest temperatures are average -4 degrees Celsius, and recently the hottest temperatures have been over 30 degrees Celsius!

So perhaps 5W30 is not providing enough protection when the car is warm?

Any opinions on redline oils for our caRs?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12