V50 Tailgate Won't Open
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

V50 Tailgate Won't Open

We bought a used 2008 V50 T5 with approximately 40k miles for my wife a few months ago. Since we bought it, I've run into more issues than I care to admit... the most recent problem is that the tailgate won't open.

The tailgate opened fine yesterday, but today it will not. When I press the button above the license plate, I hear and feel a relay click, but nothing happens. I've crawled inside the car to see if there is anything obvious jamming the latch mechanism, and it appears to be clean. I did a little prying with a small screwdriver around the latch from the inside to wiggle it a bit while my wife was outside pushing the release button. I could hear a relay clicking, but the latch won't budge.

So I've got a few questions:

1. Is there anything else that I can try before "digging in" and tearing things apart? I'm assuming that the switch is fine and that there is no blown fuse since I hear a relay click when I press the button. What else can I try that could help solve what appears to be a mechanical (versus electrical) problem?

2. How do I gain access to the release mechanism if the hatch won't open? I've never removed any trim panels from this car, so I'm not sure where to start from the inside... do I remove the lower carpet from the tailgate and work my way up, or do I remove the plastic trim near the rear window and work my way down? Is there any benefit to pulling the spare tire cover / false floor out to get better access to the latch area below floor level?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Matt

tags: hatch release latch mechanism stuck jammed open closed click
      Last edited by zerMATT; 08-20-2012 at 08:45 PM.

There's no fuse, the relay is triggered directly from the Central Electronics Module behind the glovebox.

Sounds like a stuck latch or misaligned striker. The only way to get at it is to pull the lower inside panel, from the inside. It's secured by pop-catches, you need to pull them steadily, they'll pop out about 3/8", then the catches will release. There are a bunch of them, all around the edge of the tailgate. It's way easier to do when the hatch is open. :-(

Looking for a diagram but can't find one...

[found it]
      http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/sh..._category=7883
      Pop-clips are part #45, and panel is #10. Doesn't say how many clips

Last edited by tmtalpey; 08-20-2012 at 09:53 PM.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva CBV, Elevate rear swaybar, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Quote Originally Posted by tmtalpey View Post
      Sounds like a stuck latch or misaligned striker. The only way to get at it is to pull the lower inside panel, from the inside. It's secured by pop-catches, you need to pull them steadily, they'll pop out about 3/8", then the catches will release. There are a bunch of them, all around the edge of the tailgate. It's way easier to do when the hatch is open.
      I started to try that while I was back there, but I didn't want to risk breaking something without asking first. I've got some interior tools, so that should help too...

Does the lower carpet panel come off independently of the upper plastic trim up by the window, or will I be taking that off too as I work the carpet off?

Thanks!
      Matt

'08 Volvo V50 T5 Wagon | '07 Chevy Avalanche | '86 Porsche 944 Turbo (lightly modded )

THe lower panel is separate from the upper trim piece, and it needs to come off first. And the carpet does not come off the panel, it's all one piece. Pull the plastic edge directly outward, all around. You do have to remove the bits from the grab location too. IIRC, the first piece comes off vertically. Or something! Sorry, it has been a while.

Interior tools won't help much. You can't get at the edges to work them in, unless the 'gate is open.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva CBV, Elevate rear swaybar, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD

Mine did this a while back. To open the hatch, you are pressing a button. The rubber material around it can sometimes work its way in and prevent the switch from being fully depressed. If you squeeze hard enough or at certain angles, it may open. To fix, I removed the switch, reseated everything and reassembled.
      Stan
      2005 V50 T5: IPD Rear Sway Bar, Koni Sport (Yellow) front and rear

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P.

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

The first couple steps of this might help: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?118881

My latch mechanism was defective. Even after removing the entire latch from the car (that was fun), it still wouldn't open when reconnected to the harness and pressing the button. It would click, but it wouldn't release.

I ended up replacing it with a new part... $162 from Volvo.
      Last edited by zerMATT; 09-06-2012 at 06:43 PM.
      Matt

'08 Volvo V50 T5 Wagon | '07 Chevy Avalanche | '86 Porsche 944 Turbo (lightly modded )

Ugh. Well, maybe the previous owner slammed it down with something stuck in the latch. Any signs of damage?
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD

No, it appeared to be fine externally. I would love to tear it apart to see what went wrong, but the whole thing is encased in a thick steel shell. I think I would need to drill out some spot-welds to take it apart.

The real difficult part was manually releasing the latch. I had to remove the door interior panels to get to the bolts (3) holding the latch in the hatch, unplug the harness, then force the hatch open by pulling VERY hard from outside the car. Next, I popped the lower plastic panel (#16 in the pic above) off so I could get to the two T30 torx bolts holding the lower latch pin/plate in. With those out, I pulled the latch, plate, and plastic panel out of the car to work on it.

To get the latch to release manually, I had to cut the rubber cover off the latch housing, then slide a screwdriver up inside it from the bottom and release a catch that allowed the latch to pop open. I could latch and un-latch it many times with the screwdriver, but it still wouldn't work when plugged into the harness and pressing the button.
      Matt

Hey!

Now it's my turn to have issues with the tailgate on my V50... To me, it seems to be the outside switch?

I dismantled the outer handle, and removed the grey connector which runs into the car. As I put it back in, the latch opened up!?!

I really hope my dealership has the switch/handle-assembly...
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT (452 Sapphire Black)
      MODS = Snabbshifter - Vibra-Technics LTM - (More to come!)

Update:

Changed the outside switch (part# 30699141) and now the tailgate works like a charm!

It's not expensive at all, 30-ish $ (200,- NOK)

@zerMATT; Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I hope your tailgate is working now!

Same problem on my 2007 v50

V50 tailgate wouldn't open. I had the same symptoms as Mentor - when I disconnected and reconnected with the grey connector the latch would release.

I replaced the tailgate switch (same part # as Mentor above) and problem solved.

v50 Tailgate won't open

Hi, I was hoping someone could shed a bit more light on how to remove the rear panel from the inside of the car. I've managed to pull away the clips for the top part of the rear panel but I'm at a loss on how to pull away the left bottom hand grip attached to the rear panel (items 11 and 37 in the diagram above). It appears to be firmly in place and it's not possible to complete the other steps noted in zerMatt's post unless I can remove the whole rear panel.

Would be grateful for any suggestions as I can't get my tailgate opened!

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zerMATT View Post
      No, it appeared to be fine externally. I would love to tear it apart to see what went wrong, but the whole thing is encased in a thick steel shell. I think I would need to drill out some spot-welds to take it apart.

The real difficult part was manually releasing the latch. I had to remove the door interior panels to get to the bolts (3) holding the latch in the hatch, unplug the harness, then force the hatch open by pulling VERY hard from outside the car. Next, I popped the lower plastic panel (#16 in the pic above) off so I could get to the two T30 torx bolts holding the lower latch pin/plate in. With those out, I pulled the latch, plate, and plastic panel out of the car to work on it.

To get the latch to release manually, I had to cut the rubber cover off the latch housing, then slide a screwdriver up inside it from the bottom and release a catch that allowed the latch to pop open. I could latch and un-latch it many times with the screwdriver, but it still wouldn't work when plugged into the harness and pressing the button.
      Last edited by vee50; 07-03-2013 at 12:46 AM.

Hi! You're supposed to pull it straight out (towards the front of the car). Try prying with a large, flathead screwdriver on the edges of pieced #11. It's just clipped in there, so it shouldn't be that hard to get out...

The inner part (#37) simply needs some gentle wedging to come loose when the #11 is out...

Hope this helps! If not I'll pry mine off later this evening and take some photos for you...

Hi Mentor86,

Thanks so much for your reply. I did manage to pull it straight out which required a bit of force. Problem with plastic bits is always the worry that it will break!

Unfortunately after getting the rear panel off I was a bit too enthusiastic in pulling up the tailgate and broke off the plastic connector housing in the locking mechanism. I have attached a photo where you can see the plastic section having broken off. I expect to have to replace the whole locking mechanism but I can't seem to get it unlatched. I think i need to remove the #16 panel but they are held by 4 white lugs that are proving very difficult to "pop" off as suggested in an earlier post.

I have tried to get a small screwdriver in the latch to release the catch but it won't move. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Mentor86 View Post
      Hi! You're supposed to pull it straight out (towards the front of the car). Try prying with a large, flathead screwdriver on the edges of pieced #11. It's just clipped in there, so it shouldn't be that hard to get out...

The inner part (#37) simply needs some gentle wedging to come loose when the #11 is out...

Hope this helps! If not I'll pry mine off later this evening and take some photos for you...
      Last edited by vee50; 07-06-2013 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vee50 View Post

I have attached a photo where you can see the plastic section having broken off.
      (I can't see any photo... )

Quote Originally Posted by vee50 View Post

I expect to have to replace the whole locking mechanism but I can't seem to get it unlatched. I think i need to remove the #16 panel but they are held by 4 white lugs that are proving very difficult to "pop" off as suggested in an earlier post.
      Unfortunately, if the tailgate is closed, you won't be able to pull that #16 part off. The latch mechanism goes through that part...

Have you tried disconnecting the switch on the outside (part which says "volvo")?

Underneith it, between the handle and lights, there are 4 T20 or T25 screws you need to undo. When off, you should see the grey connector...

Smile

Hi Mentor86,

Sorry, I had problems posting the photo.

I have tried to remove the microswitch from under the handle part (is that the switch you are referring to? The switch worked fine and made the clicking noise when activated).

I finally managed to pull #16 panel off. For the benefit of anyone else who may need to get this panel off, there are 2 clips on either end which need to be "popped out" first (a butter knife proved to be my best friend A bit of force is needed to pop the 2 main clips. The other 4 white lugs must be "popped" from UNDER the #16 panel. You cannot remove the lugs by trying to wedge a tool between the top of the lug and the #16 panel. You need to get UNDER the #16 panel.

It's is still a bit tricky to remove the latch plate (held by 2 torx 40 screws) because the locking mechanism is looped through the #16 panel which left me very little room to work with.

Once the latch plate is removed and as noted by zerMATT earlier, I had to cut through the thin black plastic casing to release the locking catch (and separate the locking mechanism from #16 panel and the latch plate). There does not seem any other way to release the catch otherwise.

So, with all trim remove and the tailgate now opened, I'm off to find a replacement locking mechanism. Part itself is about USD150 from various sites but shipping to Australia is almost half that again!! Might try some local wreckers first.

Thanks for your help (to date!) Mentor86, it's much appreciated

Hopefully the tailgate will work with a new locking mechanism installed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mentor86 View Post
      (I can't see any photo... )

Unfortunately, if the tailgate is closed, you won't be able to pull that #16 part off. The latch mechanism goes through that part...

Have you tried disconnecting the switch on the outside (part which says "volvo")?

Underneith it, between the handle and lights, there are 4 T20 or T25 screws you need to undo. When off, you should see the grey connector...

V50 Tailgate Won't Open

Quote Originally Posted by tmtalpey View Post
      There's no fuse, the relay is triggered directly from the Central Electronics Module behind the glovebox.

Sounds like a stuck latch or misaligned striker. The only way to get at it is to pull the lower inside panel, from the inside. It's secured by pop-catches, you need to pull them steadily, they'll pop out about 3/8", then the catches will release. There are a bunch of them, all around the edge of the tailgate. It's way easier to do when the hatch is open. :-(

Looking for a diagram but can't find one...

[found it]
      http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/sh..._category=7883
      Pop-clips are part #45, and panel is #10. Doesn't say how many clips

I believe the tail gate lock is controlled by the Rear Electronic Module not the Central Electronic Module. Learned this when my tailgate went wonky and the REM needed replacement.
      04 V70 2.5T AWD - AUTOTECH | SNABB | OBX | MAGNAFLOW | SNABB | BILSTEIN | EIBACH

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
      I believe the tail gate lock is controlled by the Rear Electronic Module not the Central Electronic Module. Learned this when my tailgate went wonky and the REM needed replacement.
      The V50 doesn't have a REM.
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD

This thread needs to be in the "How-to" section!

Stickied for valuable information, but could someone possibly do a full step-by-step write up on this?