Atacama Seat re-dye- part 1
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Atacama Seat re-dye- part 1

So last year my S60R was written off so I got Myself a V70R. Magic Blue on Atacama. The previous owner did not take care of the leather and the Atacama seems to be very sensitive to damage, water stains etc. After some research I decided to contact Leatherique to see what could be done. Origonally I had intended to just "clean" the leather to see if i could get the marks off. No such luck. For those looking to freshen thier interior this is a great solution. I'll post some pics to show the progress so far. The seats were pretty bad. Way worse then the bit of wear on my Nordkap seats. The staining doesnt show up in the pics all that well.

1) Disconnect the battery. Have the seat up and at 80 degrees first. Remove the seats and all components There are four bolts under the covers. Start there.

2) Release the seatbelt by depressing the tab

3) Dont touch the button below the seatbelt tab. Its the impact sensor for the SIPS bag. Undo the screw for the PSM OR DSM

4) Remove the headrest by pressing where shown on BOTH sides. Pull the headrest up and off

5) Unscrew the seat connector. VIDA suggests cutting ties and multipe plugs. No need for this. Vacuum under the seat. Despite a good cleaning whn i got the car, it amazing what lives below the seat!

6) Sand the seat with prepping agent. Some will suggest that full dye removal is necessarry. It isnt. Just need to give a good scuff to get the new dye to bond.

I'm on dye coat number 3 right now. Post pics once im all done for those interested to see the difference old vs. new. The match inst perfect, but its extremely close. Once everythning is all done it will be impossible to tell the difference. Mine has been a bit slower as the car has booster seats which require more dissmbely and finesse work to dye.
      2007 V70 R, M66, Magic on Atacama

Quote Originally Posted by petew View Post
      Watching with interest.

We need to see a pic of the whole car ... like this"

Congrats on getting a rare and beautiful wagon.
      +1!
      '06 V70 R Magic Blue | Eroticama | 3-Pedal Arrangement | 132k miles | My story: Addicted to a new drug: torque, baby!!!
      '06 S2000 Berlina Black | Black | Hardtop | 20k miles - garage queen
      '07 Passat 2.0T Wagon | Deep Black | Wifemobile | 90k miles

A while back, JRL had mention a company that did a good/great job on refinishing leather seats. At that time I looked them up and they were no where close to me, but it is time for me to make a journey to them, as my front seats are not real pretty anymore
      06 V70R Sonacama 6spd

Yeah, result pics will be great to see. Dye is the way to go when repairing worn seats.

Also,

Quote Originally Posted by mcvolvo View Post
      6) Sand the seat with prepping agent. Some will suggest that full dye removal is necessarry. It isnt. Just need to give a good scuff to get the new dye to bond.
      If you sand too much, you'll lose the grain and the seats will look flat and cheap once the new dye is applied.

If you use a really good cleaner that will take out silicone from the seats, the new dye will adhere just as well if not better than sanding since you'll completely maintain the grain. Honestly, repairing your seat would be as easy as just cleaning it thoroughly and then applying the dye. I used to work as an assistant tech with Colorglo. I do highly recommend them to anyone that needs repair work done on their seats.

Not sure what dye you're using, though, so sanding might be necessary...
      Last edited by Jexx; 08-26-2012 at 01:10 AM.
      2006 S60R GT

Is it possible to fix a leather area that the skin was lifted off? For example, strong masking tape was left in my passenger seat and it pulled up a part of the seat... actually a small discoloration that looks like the seat flaked off when I was getting rid of the tape/sign.
      2006 S60R, Electric Silver, 19' V7's, full factory options, fully modded, rebuilt Stage 3 engine w/ uprgaded turbo and Black Flagged from Volvo. Thank goodness for the onboard LIDAR jammer. BLack Flag info: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ighlight=black Mod List: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...roadband-users)

Quote Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
      Is it possible to fix a leather area that the skin was lifted off? For example, strong masking tape was left in my passenger seat and it pulled up a part of the seat... actually a small discoloration that looks like the seat flaked off when I was getting rid of the tape/sign.
      Not easilly. The problem is that the original Atacama was a two tone colour dyes with vegetable dye (all R leathers are vegetable based, hence the fast wear) Its very hard to make a two-tone dye. basically the dye that you will get to make the repair wont match. So a couple of options:

A) dye the seat using some cheese cloth and wipe it on so "blend" the colour OR
      b) use some leatherique rejuvinator oil and see if the oil will lift the glue off. This may make the seat stain however.

The match leatherique made for me was based on a samle from the back of the door panel. Now that half the car is done, you can see that the match isnt exact, but that doesnt really matter as the whole car is being re-dyed. Its pretty close to the sample, meaning the seats have become badly damaged. I'll post a pic later. for now half the car is done. The drivers seat, and the rear seat back are a seperate project.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexx View Post
      Yeah, result pics will be great to see. Dye is the way to go when repairing worn seats.

Also,

If you sand too much, you'll lose the grain and the seats will look flat and cheap once the new dye is applied.

If you use a really good cleaner that will take out silicone from the seats, the new dye will adhere just as well if not better than sanding since you'll completely maintain the grain. Honestly, repairing your seat would be as easy as just cleaning it thoroughly and then applying the dye. I used to work as an assistant tech with Colorglo. I do highly recommend them to anyone that needs repair work done on their seats.

Not sure what dye you're using, though, so sanding might be necessary...
      Using leatherique, and i didnt loose much grain at all. The leather was very "smooth" to start with. The sanding is done wet, with thier "prepping agent" This helps to remove the old dye and clean the seat so the new dye will soak in. Still, I didnt have to do much sanding. Light passes with 400 paper and prepping agent.

Some Pics of the final product. I still have to do the drivers seat and rear seat uprights.

Passenger seat completed.

Driver seat bolster cleaned, but not yet dyed

Passenger seat bolster

Passenger seat back.

after about a month i'll buff the seat with some 1500 or 2000 paper lubricated a bit with the cleaner. Now onto the drivers seat the rear seat back...

That looks great.

I am looking at doing a similar thing, but for the front sides (front seats) only, not the whole seats.
      The only thing that would bother me a little is the stiching. It's obvious the seat has been re-done.
      2004 S60R - Black Sapphire/Atacama, MT, TME DP, BSR cat-back, MTE Stage2, Autotech IC.

Quote Originally Posted by XeOn View Post
      That looks great.

I am looking at doing a similar thing, but for the front sides (front seats) only, not the whole seats.
      The only thing that would bother me a little is the stiching. It's obvious the seat has been re-done.
      My seats are not too bad, but have enough wear on the front seats and driver's armrest (the guy who originally leased it was in sales, put in a lot of kms and, I assume, wore his suit jacket while driving.)

I've ordered a coloured leather dressing from Leather Magic and will post pictures.
      KECA Kombi ('07 V70R GT)
      IPD Stage I tune, Kelly intake, silicone intake tubing, poly strut bar bushings, poly lower transmission mount, and poly sub-frame bushings.
      EST wheel spacers (5 mm front, 10 mm rear), Euro side-mirror conversion, and interior LEDs kit. Elevate poly ('square') upper engine mount.

You did a very nice job. You've got to be pretty happy with the results.

looks like Leatherique is still best of class. We used it back in the 70's restoring old Porsche Tubs. And a lot of the top leather reconditioners use it - even the Smithsonian.
      2007 S60R GT Black SapphireMetallic/Gobi | 18" Machined Pegs | Ceramic Thermal Tint
      KW:V2 Michelin:265/35R18 17mm Spacers Rear+235/40R18 12mm Spacers Front IPD:Ceramic Coated Downpipe/Track Sways Phuz:PhMIC UR:Strut Braces Setrab:Oil & Trans Coolers Custom Ceramic Coat:Dual Exhaust & Exhaust Manifold TKi:Endlinks/Toebar AEM:Meth Inj ARD/RZ: MultiMap UltraViolet/R32 Turbo Upgrade

You fellows know that Atacama is not dyed?
      It's the leathers natural color. it will wear and age in beauty (getting gray). Now you folks are painting it? WTF?

Christ
      Of course it's dyed, just a "natural" process
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2006 XC70 White/Black 60K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now 122K miles and still perfect
      1994 Lincoln Continental. In concours condition with low miles.

Quote Originally Posted by surfsd View Post
      A while back, JRL had mention a company that did a good/great job on refinishing leather seats. At that time I looked them up and they were no where close to me, but it is time for me to make a journey to them, as my front seats are not real pretty anymore
      these guys JRL recommends live 2 miles from my house. Even though JRL recommends them, they fubar my seats and i will never ever recommend them, even to my worst enemy. Fabrion sucks @ss.
      Widdled the fleet down to one Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by JARMO View Post
      You fellows know that Atacama is not dyed?
      It's the leathers natural color. it will wear and age in beauty (getting gray). Now you folks are painting it? WTF?
      I'm guessing you've never seen natural leather. It's sort of a dirty light brown/tan color and it's fairly irregular in color. Stop by a saddle and tackle shop and look around. You'll get the idea pretty quick.
      2007 S60R GT Black SapphireMetallic/Gobi | 18" Machined Pegs | Ceramic Thermal Tint
      KW:V2 Michelin:265/35R18 17mm Spacers Rear+235/40R18 12mm Spacers Front IPD:Ceramic Coated Downpipe/Track Sways Phuz:PhMIC UR:Strut Braces Setrab:Oil & Trans Coolers Custom Ceramic Coat:Dual Exhaust & Exhaust Manifold TKi:Endlinks/Toebar AEM:Meth Inj ARD/RZ: MultiMap UltraViolet/R32 Turbo Upgrade

Looks good, but it's missing a bit of the depth that the original color had (see the door inserts or armrest cover in your pics). There's no way they can match the color a little better?
      2004 S60R MT - Sapphicama, Pictures, 285HP/307FT-LBS@wheels, IPD Track Spec Sways, Autotech Stage 1 Tune, R Kelly CAI, Autometer Cobalt Boost Gauge, GROM USB/iPod Audio Interface, Hawk HPS pads on slotted Brakeperformance.com rotors, HID fogs, IPD Strut Bar Conversion, UR Front and Rear Lower Braces, Power Folding Mirror Kit, IPD HD Coils, 18x8 Axis XMX wheels, Volvotech CFE extender, CNT Downpipe, EST Touring Exhaust

@MCVOLVO
      Please send the link to get this product or name or product code of it I need to do this really bad on driver seat.

I am only shooting a protector but its kind of only pushing back the problem, maybe a real facelift would help.
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djkronik57 View Post
      Looks good, but it's missing a bit of the depth that the original color had (see the door inserts or armrest cover in your pics). There's no way they can match the color a little better?
      Agreed, the doors and center console piece look so much deeper and almost more orange. Can anyone get closer to the color than this? Also, is it just a forgone conclusion that you will lose the light colored stitching if you choose to redye? Is there some way to remove the dye/clean the stitching after?
      2004 MT SR Black Saph/Atacama

Leather Magic 'mango'
      coloured dressing - darkens a bit but a good match otherwise. Before and after:
      Last edited by KCCM; 09-25-2012 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Better 'after' pics.
      KECA Kombi ('07 V70R GT)
      IPD Stage I tune, Kelly intake, silicone intake tubing, poly strut bar bushings, poly lower transmission mount, and poly sub-frame bushings.
      EST wheel spacers (5 mm front, 10 mm rear), Euro side-mirror conversion, and interior LEDs kit. Elevate poly ('square') upper engine mount.

Quote Originally Posted by djkronik57 View Post
      The match is quite close and came from the back of a door panel and was custom made by leatherique. The panels are darker as the cleaning agent makes the darker.

Atacama is dyed. All leather is. It just lacks the protective coating that other leathers have.

The product is quite good. And it's important to remember that it's a dye NOT a paint

Quote Originally Posted by new hampshiRe View Post
      Agreed, the doors and center console piece look so much deeper and almost more orange. Can anyone get closer to the color than this? Also, is it just a forgone conclusion that you will lose the light colored stitching if you choose to redye? Is there some way to remove the dye/clean the stitching after?
      Dye the stitching afterwards. Easy if you want that look

I like it for the age of the car. I hope i can get similar results when i need to do my seats?
      Had '78 245, '84 & '91 240, '92 940 turbo, '93 850GTAS, '99 S80, and
      deceased- '04 S60R GT (earth worm grey)! IPD - HD-TCV, Stage1 softloader, poly torque mount, strut brace, HD R Coils, poly subframe inserts, dimpled & slotted rotors w/ Akebono pads, 18' Pegs w/ Pilot Super Sports...totaled at 120K from rear-end collision.
      2003 VW Passat W8.

I Just Did My Atacama With The Leatherique and What A Mess - Anybody Thinking Of Doing This - DO NOT! It Looks Like House Paint, Didn't Match Even Close, At Least a Shade or 2 Off, Covered Up The White Stitching, Paid An Interior Shop To Strip It and Spray It, After $350, Looks Worse, Same Batch Of Paint, Front Seats Don't Match.......
      Just My 2 Cents Worth..
      Looking Back, My Seats Were Not Bad At All, I Had Luck With www.seatrestore.com With My Nordkap, Blended In PERFECT, I Should Have Just Ordered Some and Just Wiped It In The Cracks and Wet Sponged Off The Excess...
      2006 S60 R Electric Silver, Factory body kit, TME Exhaust, K26 turbo upgrade, Bell FMIC, TME Coils, IPD 25/28 mm Sway Bars, JWZtuning.com
      1998 C70 Saffron, M, TT ECU, TME Exhaust, RSI 143 mm Rods, Wisco Pistons, 2.5 L Darton Sleeves, GT3076R, LSD, 400+hp, R rear Calipers

I think those turned our pretty good. I'm not a fan of the pumpkin blew his wad inside my car, but the work looks very good. Black interior is where its at!

My 300zx has peanut butter colored leather in it, the previous owner had brand new oem seats put in it right before I bought it. The seats are flawless but I hate looking at them. I think I may try dying them.
      2004 V70R m/t Parting Out see classifieds http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...per-spare-tire
      2006 V70R Sonic Blue A/T new!
      1994 Nissan 300 zx twin turbo