vibration under hard acceleration
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

vibration under hard acceleration

Idle fine, rev to any rpm, fine, steady cruise fine, light to moderate acceleration fine , WOT I get a vibration, not suspension related it has nothing to do with speed, I can go triple digits no vibration. Only under full throttle starts around 3500 rpm. I'm thinking motor mounts? I already replaced the torque mount. It's coming from the engine bay.
      1982 Volvo GLT w/ small block V8, T5 manual tranny and a bunch of stuff. to handle and go fast
      Gone and totaled V50 with a few mods, K16, Enem cams 3' DP and cat back, KW V2 coilovers, etc. I miss that one
      DD 2014 Acura RDX Polestar V60 Saphire #44/80

i get this same vibe under wot sometimes. i thought maybe turbo so i just try to ignore it. but it might be mount related. never touched any of the mounts in the bay.
      2006 V50 T5 AWD M66: 19" Heico's w/ Hankook & Eibach Spring
      IPD TCV, skidplate VIVA CBV, Prosport boost & AFR gauges, 6000k hid
      ELEVATE: Turbo Pipe, RSB, autotech III, body kit, intake. IC piping
      EST: grille, Exhaust, DP, BELL FMIC Streetunit trans mount.

Sounds corny but drive with no hood and watch engine movement maybe? Could be mounts I suppose.
      TheRetrofitSource | 2020 Motorsports | RTernie | H&R Springs | Import Meet | Girodisc

Current: E46M (daily) | S40 T5 (grocery getter)
      Past: NA1 NSX | Acura TL | LS-T DC4

Well,I ordered 2 mounts from IPD, I'll throw them in on Friday. Mounts were my first guess, there are not expensive. I don't really have any other ideas except bad ones, lol.
      1982 Volvo GLT w/ small block V8, T5 manual tranny and a bunch of stuff. to handle and go fast
      Gone and totaled V50 with a few mods, K16, Enem cams 3' DP and cat back, KW V2 coilovers, etc. I miss that one

I take it aftermarket ones are unavailable? Realistically the lower mount should control the torque of the motor.
      TheRetrofitSource | 2020 Motorsports | RTernie | H&R Springs | Import Meet | Girodisc

I don't know of any aftermarket mounts, I just ordered oem.

U buy any wheels yet? Should get some and enter the Import Meet show next month

I assume you have the upgraded lower mount (aftermarket or improved factory Volvo) & have already replaced the right upper at least once. You have an 05'... Have you replaced the upper trans mount with the newer hydraulic mount? There were a few posts where I gave the part number for the kit. PM me your email & I'll send the Tech Bulletin.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

[QUOTE=-ForceFed-;1969726]U buy any wheels yet?
      Not yet, I got something else instead, something that made the wife VERY happy.

Quote Originally Posted by pczeilon View Post
      I assume you have the upgraded lower mount (aftermarket or improved factory Volvo) & have already replaced the right upper at least once. You have an 05'... Have you replaced the upper trans mount with the newer hydraulic mount? There were a few posts where I gave the part number for the kit. PM me your email & I'll send the Tech Bulletin.
      Yes I have aftermarket lower mount but have not upgraded the upper mount, I'll see what the motor mounts do first.

Quote Originally Posted by madden View Post
      Not yet, I got something else instead, something that made the wife VERY happy.
      That strategy is the best sometimes haha.

I am having this exact same issue with my 06 2.4i. Only happens under hard acceleration. Is this mostly a motor/trans mount issue? Doesn't seem to be much info floating around about this.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

what is this hydraulic motor mount upgrade?
      OLD: 05 S40 T5 AWD AW55 Black 130,000 miles Blown head gasket and TQ converter, "Elevate Intake", Magnaflow muffler, 100 cpi race cat, ipd coils, 18in pegs, VIVA CBV, Thule rack, swedespeed sticker, LED running/license plate lights and halo rings up front, front strut tower brace, MS3 rear sway bar, DRT Sport rotors and pads, Eibach lowering springs, Snabb TCV, Phuzzy Intercooler. NOW:2014 Ford Focus ST3 in Tangerine Scream

Quote Originally Posted by mkd28 View Post
      what is this hydraulic motor mount upgrade?
      +1
      2006 V50 T5 AWD M66: 19" Heico's w/ Hankook & Eibach Spring
      IPD TCV, skidplate VIVA CBV, Prosport boost & AFR gauges, 6000k hid
      ELEVATE: Turbo Pipe, RSB, autotech III, body kit, intake. IC piping
      EST: grille, Exhaust, DP, BELL FMIC Streetunit trans mount.

S40 & V50 customers may complain of a clunking noise during shifting or when applying and releasing the accelerator pedal. It is especially noticeable on cars with manual transmissions during low speed driving and when making a 1-2 shift. The customer may also complain of a slight vibration through the floor or seat at low engine RPMs (approx 1800-2000).
      It's the mount for the transmission. Only applies to early cars, later cars came with the hydraulic mount from the factory. Check your car & compare to the pics below.

2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

Thanks for posting that! I'm not sure that's my problem, my problem only occurs at WOT and at higher RPM's, right where the meat of the torque curve is. I'm pretty sure the motor mounts are worn and the engine is moving more than normal under heavy load, causing some kind of misalignment, I'll know tomorrow.

It's the mount for the transmission. Only applies to early cars, later cars came with the hydraulic mount from the factory. Check your car & compare to the pics below.

where is that ordered from? Thanks so much ive been dealing with this for a while and this is the first iver heard about the upgrade
      OLD: 05 S40 T5 AWD AW55 Black 130,000 miles Blown head gasket and TQ converter, "Elevate Intake", Magnaflow muffler, 100 cpi race cat, ipd coils, 18in pegs, VIVA CBV, Thule rack, swedespeed sticker, LED running/license plate lights and halo rings up front, front strut tower brace, MS3 rear sway bar, DRT Sport rotors and pads, Eibach lowering springs, Snabb TCV, Phuzzy Intercooler. NOW:2014 Ford Focus ST3 in Tangerine Scream

These are factory Volvo parts. Grab from your favorite dealer.
      I can't comment on how effective this will be, just passing along the factory bulletin on a possible vibration source.

You do know that the lower "torque" mount has been upgraded by Volvo as well? Same old part number, just an improved version with more rubber. Maybe someone could post a side by side picture. I have no idea when the new style lower mount went into production. Anyone?
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

These are factory Volvo parts. Grab from your favorite dealer.
      I can't comment on how effective this will be, just passing along the factory bulletin on a possible vibration source.

You do know that the lower "torque" mount has been upgraded by Volvo as well? Same old part number, just an improved version with more rubber. Maybe someone could post a side by side picture. I have no idea when the new style lower mount went into production. Anyone?
      ya I think viva or ipd sells the upgraded version. I also recall elevate or soemone carrying there own upgraded version of it using a full silicone mount.

Your thinking of the upgraded lower mount, which a lot of people have done, the one pictured above is the upper transmission mount.

Your thinking of the upgraded lower mount, which a lot of people have done, the one pictured above is the upper transmission mount.
      that why I replied to his coment about "You do know that the lower "torque" mount has been upgraded by Volvo as well?" lol

Hi all, this is a good topic........i own 2005 v50 t5 fwd auto.
      Experienced the same vibration issue,the only different is the vibe appear during low rpm (between 1500 to 2200 rpm). Have a visit volvo shop, 1st tries they changed both my lower control arm - vibe isuue not solve at all. Next will be the coil spring and the drive shaft change out. For the coilspring i agreed to change it due to the car is too low,suspected previous owner has cut the stock spring. For the drive shaft, feedback from mechanic - theres a minimal freeplay on the drive shaft. Could be this is contributing to my vibe problem?.
      For the transmission mount, Im not sure where is the location of this, can some one here help me by the technical drawing or exactly the picture location? Still much to learn....I am newbie for this volvo ride.
      Last edited by mr_V; 08-31-2012 at 02:31 AM.

Old mount in the middle, new on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by kova View Post
      Old mount in the middle, new on the left.

Clear picture! ! what is on the right one? done check mines, is the same with on the left. I hv changed it a couple of month ago...

I try to turn the middle drive shaft, heard some 'clurk' sound during initial turn and observed the lower torque vibrated due to the movement of the transmision. It is normal?? How to check the upper tranmision mount? No idea how its look, its below the battery pack...

Thanks Kova, great picture.
      Mr_V - Yes, it's below the battery pack. Remove with directions found HERE. The right hand mount is an aftermarket unit. Note that it will INCREASE your vibration. The motor & transmission mounts are now both hydraulic to prevent vibration from transferring to the cabin. The "torque" rod has the job of preventing the whole assembly from rolling during acceleration. It's a compromise between preventing moment & not transferring vibration. The original was too soft, too much movement. The aftermarket unit is very stiff, it does a great job of preventing moment in your tuned T5 but it will transfer MORE vibration during "normal operation". The improved Volvo mount will be the best choice for most people.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

The one on the right is Vibra-technics unit: http://www.vibra-technics.co.uk/volv...ne_torque_link

For the new Volvo torque mount Powerflex made these "reinforcment" inserts:

http://j-w-racing.co.uk/product.php/..._ford_focus_st

Thanks Kova, great picture.
      Mr_V - Yes, it's below the battery pack. Remove with directions found HERE. The right hand mount is an aftermarket unit. Note that it will INCREASE your vibration. The motor & transmission mounts are now both hydraulic to prevent vibration from transferring to the cabin. The "torque" rod has the job of preventing the whole assembly from rolling during acceleration. It's a compromise between preventing moment & not transferring vibration. The original was too soft, too much movement. The aftermarket unit is very stiff, it does a great job of preventing moment in your tuned T5 but it will transfer MORE vibration during "normal operation". The improved Volvo mount will be the best choice for most people.
      Thanks for guide and the factory bulletin.. Check yr inbox please.

Well... both left and right motor mounts are in and problem is totally gone. The upper right was bad, the left hand side looked ok, but I replaced them both anyway. Now I can gun it again without any annoying or possibly destructive vibration.

Well... both left and right motor mounts are in and problem is totally gone. The upper right was bad, the left hand side looked ok, but I replaced them both anyway. Now I can gun it again without any annoying or possibly destructive vibration.
      Welldone!!! can you share the picture of both damaged mounts? I want to compare with mines. By visual check dont see nothing abnormal....
      Last edited by mr_V; 08-31-2012 at 07:15 PM.

good to know your vibration is gone !

The design was slightly different on the new mounts, at a glance the old ones don't look bad, the big rubber pc. attached to the dogbone was intact on the upper right a little tearing on the top , pretty superficial. They looked fine, obviously they were not. I can't post a picture of destroyed motor mounts, because they don't look bad. But rubber gets fatigued under constant movement,
      the bottom left looks new, visual check I would say the old ones look fine. I guess it's something you have to change every so often on the P1.

The design was slightly different on the new mounts, at a glance the old ones don't look bad, the big rubber pc. attached to the dogbone was intact on the upper right a little tearing on the top , pretty superficial. They looked fine, obviously they were not. I can't post a picture of destroyed motor mounts, because they don't look bad. But rubber gets fatigued under constant movement,
      the bottom left looks new, visual check I would say the old ones look fine. I guess it's something you have to change every so often on the P1.
      Ok thanks for the detail. Are you replacing the mounts at the shop or DIY? Im asking is because of I've worried disconecting power supply from the battery will affectecd ecu or any electronic device.?? Correct me if Im wrong please...
      :facepalm

i just replaced two mounts a year ago with the new designed mounts. now my car is back in the shop getting all 4 replaced. the tech told me there is a now an even more updated design. so i would suggest replacing all at once.

Well, I replaced 3 out of 4, to be on the safe side, I'll probably do the upper tranny mount too, although the problem I had is totally gone now.

Well, I replaced 3 out of 4, to be on the safe side, I'll probably do the upper tranny mount too, although the problem I had is totally gone now.
      sorry, silly question here... 4 total of mounts? i thought its only 3...? do you have any technical drawing on the mounts location?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast