SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

vibration under hard acceleration

90K views 177 replies 42 participants last post by  RR04 
#1 ·
Idle fine, rev to any rpm, fine, steady cruise fine, light to moderate acceleration fine , WOT I get a vibration, not suspension related it has nothing to do with speed, I can go triple digits no vibration. Only under full throttle starts around 3500 rpm. I'm thinking motor mounts? I already replaced the torque mount. It's coming from the engine bay.

#2 ·
i get this same vibe under wot sometimes. i thought maybe turbo so i just try to ignore it. :p but it might be mount related. never touched any of the mounts in the bay.

#4 ·
Well,I ordered 2 mounts from IPD, I'll throw them in on Friday. Mounts were my first guess, there are not expensive. I don't really have any other ideas except bad ones, lol.

#6 ·
I don't know of any aftermarket mounts, I just ordered oem.

#9 ·
#8 ·
I assume you have the upgraded lower mount (aftermarket or improved factory Volvo) & have already replaced the right upper at least once. You have an 05'... Have you replaced the upper trans mount with the newer hydraulic mount? There were a few posts where I gave the part number for the kit. PM me your email & I'll send the Tech Bulletin.

#10 ·
I assume you have the upgraded lower mount (aftermarket or improved factory Volvo) & have already replaced the right upper at least once. You have an 05'... Have you replaced the upper trans mount with the newer hydraulic mount? There were a few posts where I gave the part number for the kit. PM me your email & I'll send the Tech Bulletin.
Yes I have aftermarket lower mount but have not upgraded the upper mount, I'll see what the motor mounts do first.

#13 ·
what is this hydraulic motor mount upgrade?

#15 ·
S40 & V50 customers may complain of a clunking noise during shifting or when applying and releasing the accelerator pedal. It is especially noticeable on cars with manual transmissions during low speed driving and when making a 1-2 shift. The customer may also complain of a slight vibration through the floor or seat at low engine RPMs (approx 1800-2000).
It's the mount for the transmission. Only applies to early cars, later cars came with the hydraulic mount from the factory. Check your car & compare to the pics below.

#17 ·
where is that ordered from? Thanks so much ive been dealing with this for a while and this is the first iver heard about the upgrade

#16 ·
Thanks for posting that! I'm not sure that's my problem, my problem only occurs at WOT and at higher RPM's, right where the meat of the torque curve is. I'm pretty sure the motor mounts are worn and the engine is moving more than normal under heavy load, causing some kind of misalignment, I'll know tomorrow.

#18 ·
These are factory Volvo parts. Grab from your favorite dealer.
I can't comment on how effective this will be, just passing along the factory bulletin on a possible vibration source.

You do know that the lower "torque" mount has been upgraded by Volvo as well? Same old part number, just an improved version with more rubber. Maybe someone could post a side by side picture. I have no idea when the new style lower mount went into production. Anyone?

#19 ·
ya I think viva or ipd sells the upgraded version. I also recall elevate or soemone carrying there own upgraded version of it using a full silicone mount.

#20 ·
Your thinking of the upgraded lower mount, which a lot of people have done, the one pictured above is the upper transmission mount.

#21 ·
that why I replied to his coment about "You do know that the lower "torque" mount has been upgraded by Volvo as well?" lol

#22 · (Edited)
Hi all, this is a good topic........i own 2005 v50 t5 fwd auto.
Experienced the same vibration issue,the only different is the vibe appear during low rpm (between 1500 to 2200 rpm). Have a visit volvo shop, 1st tries they changed both my lower control arm - vibe isuue not solve at all. Next will be the coil spring and the drive shaft change out. For the coilspring i agreed to change it due to the car is too low,suspected previous owner has cut the stock spring. For the drive shaft, feedback from mechanic - theres a minimal freeplay on the drive shaft. Could be this is contributing to my vibe problem?.
For the transmission mount, Im not sure where is the location of this, can some one here help me by the technical drawing or exactly the picture location? Still much to learn....I am newbie for this volvo ride.
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

#25 ·
Thanks Kova, great picture.
Mr_V - Yes, it's below the battery pack. Remove with directions found HERE. The right hand mount is an aftermarket unit. Note that it will INCREASE your vibration. The motor & transmission mounts are now both hydraulic to prevent vibration from transferring to the cabin. The "torque" rod has the job of preventing the whole assembly from rolling during acceleration. It's a compromise between preventing moment & not transferring vibration. The original was too soft, too much movement. The aftermarket unit is very stiff, it does a great job of preventing moment in your tuned T5 but it will transfer MORE vibration during "normal operation". The improved Volvo mount will be the best choice for most people.

#28 ·
Well... both left and right motor mounts are in and problem is totally gone. The upper right was bad, the left hand side looked ok, but I replaced them both anyway. Now I can gun it again without any annoying or possibly destructive vibration.

#31 ·
The design was slightly different on the new mounts, at a glance the old ones don't look bad, the big rubber pc. attached to the dogbone was intact on the upper right a little tearing on the top , pretty superficial. They looked fine, obviously they were not. I can't post a picture of destroyed motor mounts, because they don't look bad. But rubber gets fatigued under constant movement,
the bottom left looks new, visual check I would say the old ones look fine. I guess it's something you have to change every so often on the P1.

#32 ·
Ok thanks for the detail. Are you replacing the mounts at the shop or DIY? Im asking is because of I've worried disconecting power supply from the battery will affectecd ecu or any electronic device.?? Correct me if Im wrong please...
:facepalm

#34 ·
Well, I replaced 3 out of 4, to be on the safe side, I'll probably do the upper tranny mount too, although the problem I had is totally gone now.

#36 ·
two transmission mounts, two motor mounts. The one I have not replaced is in post #17.

#38 · (Edited)
Hard to tell from those pictures, there so small, #2 is definetly the upper motor mount, #5 looks like the lower motor mount,I'd take a pic but my camera broke.

#40 ·
yes, 7 and 8 are the lower tranny mount pcs., 5 is the lower engine mount, 2 is the upper motor mount, 4 looks like the upper tranny mount, 4 mounts total for engine and transmission.

#43 · (Edited)
M56 = 5 speed manual. M66 = 6 speed manual. AW55 = GT ??? The parts guy at Tasca can't plug in the number?

Tasca Link

OK, I did some parts book digging & found this to be the case..... The actual metal adapter (2 versions) is the same for all automatics, regardless of AWD or not. The AW55 kit listed above should work for all of you automatic owners. NA, Turbo, AWD, FWD.

The actual rubber mount has had 3 versions & they are all the same for 5sp 6sp or auto. The kit above should be updating you to the latest version. Late model hydraulic mounts will not fit on early model adapters. Thus the kit.

Finally, the price for the kit is far less than buying the pieces separately. It's even cheaper than the rubber mount itself.

Evidently the kits are NLA from Volvo. I've posted up the individual part numbers for the automatic gearboxes below. If there is interest I'll go digging for the manual numbers as well.

#44 ·
M56 = 5 speed manual. M66 = 6 speed manual. AW55 = GT ??? The parts guy at Tasca can't plug in the number?

Tasca Link

OK, I did some parts book digging & found this to be the case..... The actual metal adapter (2 versions) is the same for all automatics, regardless of AWD or not. The AW55 kit listed above should work for all of you automatic owners. NA, Turbo, AWD, FWD.

The actual rubber mount has had 3 versions & they are all the same for 5sp 6sp or auto. The kit above should be updating you to the latest version. Late model hydraulic mounts will not fit on early model adapters. Thus the kit.

Finally, the price for the kit is far less than buying the pieces separately. It's even cheaper than the rubber mount itself.
Ya I ordered that and he replied they dont have that and he cant even find what that is refering to. I dont know whats going on. He then referred me to this part#30778998. The diagram that goes with this part seems like the old version hence the bolt pattern is the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.