ECU Fan
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Thread: ECU Fan

Question ECU Fan

Anyone know where the ECU fan is suppose to be? Is it underneath? I took off the cover to see what was going on because I'm getting the ole left rear door open plus dash going dead etc. batt is good but its acting like the ECU is overheating.

Of course if someone could post a VIDA/VARDIS diagram I would appreciate it.

Rear (toward firewall) of the ECU box, near the bottom. Easily seen if you pull out the PS tank and coolant tank. (They just lift out, without disconnecting hoses)

Quote Originally Posted by rogersampson View Post
      Rear (toward firewall) of the ECU box, near the bottom. Easily seen if you pull out the PS tank and coolant tank. (They just lift out, without disconnecting hoses)
      super! Thanks Roger

Ed

Roger - quick question: found the ECU fan. Is it suppose to be on all the time? Is it definitely audible? I couldn't hear or feel anything when I had the car running and just 'on.'

Ed

It is audible. At least on my caR.
      '04 SR M66, Black Sapph, Gobi, ITG air filter, Snabb Intake, Snabb short shifter, Eibach springs, OBX DP, IPD Oval CBE, IPD Throttle Inlet Kit, ARD TCV/HD Coils, ARD Tune, Turbosmart CBV, IPD UPM, Custom FMIC, Custom CAP, Full aluminum radiator, H&R 5mm F/R
      '05 XC90 2.5, Stock the way wifey likes it
      '99 V70 T5, my brother is beating this car to death

Quote Originally Posted by forkster View Post
      Roger - quick question: found the ECU fan. Is it suppose to be on all the time? Is it definitely audible? I couldn't hear or feel anything when I had the car running and just 'on.'

Ed
      No, it is not on all the time.
      It is temperature controlled via a sensor in the ECU. The ECU also provides the control lead for the fan.

When the key is on, there is 12VDC standing on the red lead of the fan. The ECU provides a ground to the black lead via internal temp sensor. You can check fan operation by turning on the key, and providing a temporary ground to the black fan motor lead.

Remember the fan is blowing air INTO the ECU box. It takes in cabin air via that large tube going through the firewall. Incoming air exits the bottom and sides of the ECU box.

So I hear you are a fan of ECU's? At least that's how I read the title.
      2006 Volvo S60R GT - World Rally Blue w/ Black Wheels - Nordkap
      Performance ARD: Carbon Tune | Snabb: Intake pipe | IPD: AMS | VIVA: Upgraded CBV | CNT: Downpipe

1995 Volvo 850 Turbo - White w/ Peg Reps - Beige

Quote Originally Posted by Saleen9090 View Post
      So I hear you are a fan of ECU's? At least that's how I read the title.
      Obviously a fan of East Carolina University - Go Pirates!
      totally stock.. honest

----> Car Cabin Air ----> A/C at 25C ----> pipe channel to ECU box ----> ECU box/ECU ---> Air outlet in engine bay area

For discussion purposes on ECU Heat Insulation...

- the cool air from the passenger cabin (est around 20+Celcius) flows to the ECU box and out to the outlet to cool the ECU as required
      - the black plastic box surrounding the ECU acts as Heat isolation from the engine radiant heat and does a good job keep the engine radiant heat away

By putting further heat deflectors inside the ECU box may have additional few single digit percentage points from radiant heat because it needs to pass the plastic box first, the added heat deflectors in order to reach the ECU.

Then again the ECU itself will be generating heat and the ECU heat is channel out through the box air outlet.

So far I've not heard of anyone having ECU overheat so the cooling system in the R based on cabin air cooling the ECU seems to work quite well.

But if you really need, either having the fan activated all the time or having a small aux fan installed to run and extract air out may help provide added cooling to the ECU..... something to think about if this is really necessary
      LightAngel ~ Volvo S60R 6Speed GTA, XC90 V8 R-Design 6Speed

Quote Originally Posted by forkster View Post

Ed
      Tasca website has a great parts diagram for the fan and related bits. Just about every time I shut the car off I can hear mine. All the plumbing looks to be connected to / from the ECU box. Outside temps have been 60's-70's and I dont run AC too often. Should this fan always be running when engine shuts down? It's starting to bug me - so I made a vid recording w/ my iphone... just need to post to youtube
      04 V70R M66

If it's an overheat issue I would cut a square hole in the side of the box and install a PC fan to pull air out. They are all 12v and you could just wire it into a circuit that goes on /off with the ignition. If it were me I would probably get an LED lit blue fan just because. Also a very cheap solution (<$10)
      2006 Volvo S60R GT - World Rally Blue w/ Black Wheels - Nordkap
      Performance ARD: Carbon Tune | Snabb: Intake pipe | IPD: AMS | VIVA: Upgraded CBV | CNT: Downpipe

1995 Volvo 850 Turbo - White w/ Peg Reps - Beige

If this helps the OP at all: mine tends to come on after the car has been driven in 75+ weather, and for more than 10 minutes. But it never runs more than 3-5 minutes after the car is shut off.

Have you taken yours out to clean it ?

Here is the diagram BTW:

#19 is the $103.90 fan for the central electrical unit.

Thanks guys - I'm going to take it out and clean it and let you know what I find.

FYI: I've read other posting here of an Ecu fan failing causing the ECU/CEM to act wonky. 04 S60R which is the same year as my wagon.

Thanks for the diagrams too guys - it's all helpful.

Ed

If your ECM get fried. And you get a no start and all kinds of other problems due to it over heating.....
      Just drop it on the ground from about 4 feet up.
      It's a trick the dealer won't tell you about...... But works vary vary good
      Iv done 3-6 this way, never had a problem since...
      No more R got a 1995 240sx converted to a Silvia in replacement... Can't say I miss the Volvo
      P.s no more am i Volvo tech... I now am a shop Forman at a high performance shop.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
      Yeah right, he's all happy you called...then a yellow birdie flys by and oh here's a cupcake, btw what were we talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by VolvokidS60R View Post
      If your ECM get fried. And you get a no start and all kinds of other problems due to it over heating.....
      Just drop it on the ground from about 4 feet up.
      It's a trick the dealer won't tell you about...... But works vary vary good
      Iv done 3-6 this way, never had a problem since...
      I can't tell whether I should take this seriously or be worried...

Obviously need some
      Volvo: Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object 2004 S60 R GT, Black Sapphire/Nordkap, 05+ center console and tails, UR braces top and bottom, lots of poly, 12mm front and 17mm rear custom spacers. 3" turboback exhaust (CNT/Elevate), silicone charge pipe, EST filter, RKelly intake (and lots more)

Quote Originally Posted by fallenfenix87 View Post
      I can't tell whether I should take this seriously or be worried...

Obviously need some
      Unfortnely I'm 100% serious!!!! Lol the 1st time we "tried" his lol one dude was diaging the problem and when he pulled the ecu to check for injector single tested good, and as he was putting the ECM back in it slipped out of his hand.... Lol put it back in and car started. He did nothing but test and the drop...

Now here is what I figured. If there is a faulty fan or no fan at all, the ECM can reach temps from heat soak, that exceed the temp that melts or at least get soder loose..
      So by dropping the ECM you knock what ever back in place......and wala hahaha
      No more R got a 1995 240sx converted to a Silvia in replacement... Can't say I miss the Volvo
      P.s no more am i Volvo tech... I now am a shop Forman at a high performance shop.
      Yeah right, he's all happy you called...then a yellow birdie flys by and oh here's a cupcake, btw what were we talking about...

Unfortnely I'm 100% serious!!!! Lol the 1st time we "tried" his lol one dude was diaging the problem and when he pulled the ecu to check for injector single tested good, and as he was putting the ECM back in it slipped out of his hand.... Lol put it back in and car started. He did nothing but test and the drop...

Now here is what I figured. If there is a faulty fan or no fan at all, the ECM can reach temps from heat soak, that exceed the temp that melts or at least get soder loose..
      So by dropping the ECM you knock what ever back in place......and wala hahaha
      Wow. Just wow. DIY for the win??
      Volvo: Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object 2004 S60 R GT, Black Sapphire/Nordkap, 05+ center console and tails, UR braces top and bottom, lots of poly, 12mm front and 17mm rear custom spacers. 3" turboback exhaust (CNT/Elevate), silicone charge pipe, EST filter, RKelly intake (and lots more)

Wow. Just wow. DIY for the win??
      Si
      Well that's if you get the ECM out w/o braking it l ol

Si
      Well that's if you get the ECM out w/o braking it l ol
      In this case, DIY = Drop It Yourself

the cluster will not die if the ecm(engine control module) goes down because the dim/cluster is on the low speed network and terminated on different nodes than the high speed. possible cem or dim issues

In this case, DIY = Drop It Yourself
      Hahahaha