I sprung for the Mods4cars Smart Top module
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I sprung for the Mods4cars Smart Top module

It was $290. Pretty cool though.

1. With the remote, I can open/close all windows or open/close the top.
      2. The top open/close button that is in the car can now be used as "one touch", meaning I don't have to hold it the entire time the top is in motion.
      3. I can now open/close the top while moving (slowly). It is programmable to 4 different speeds, 25 mph being the fastest. I have it set to 20 mph.
      4. The side mirrors dip down when I put the car in reverse, supposedly to aid in backing up but I can't quite figure out how this would help.
      5. The door locks can be set to A) Unlock when ignition is turned off OR B) Unlock when key is pulled out OR C) Factory setting.

There's a few other things that it does but I can't think of them right now. Installation wasn't too bad. Took about an hour.

Next purchase? Polestar.
      Last edited by Banjo Bud; 09-11-2012 at 01:57 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That sounds pretty neat. I think #4 would be best used for parking. So you can see the curb and not rash your wheels.
      98 S70 T5
      Stock

I've got one in mine. R u sure you can put the windows UP and DOWN via the remote? It does not list that as a feature. Perhaps they made an update?

As a suggestion, I always keep the fastest speed programmed. Not that I use it, but it's nice to know it's there for those times that maybe I try to get that top up or down at a light...in the rain especially.

Actually, I try not to do it in motion at all as unlike in my Miata, as it's easy enough to start opening with the remote and just use the one touch after I walk away and have the top finish closing.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo Bud View Post
      4. The passenger mirror dips down when I put the car in reverse, supposedly to aid in backing up but I can't quite figure out how this would help.
      My ONLY issue with this feature is that my wife and I both drive the car, and have different seat/mirror configurations tied to each of our keys. The way this feature works is that when you shift into reverse, it moves both mirrors to preset #3, and then when you shift back into drive it goes back to preset #1. So I had it all set up for me, but when my wife would drive and back out of a parking space, the mirrors would end up set up for me rather than her. I eventually had to disable the feature as it was causing her to have to manually re-set the mirrors in the middle of parking lots.

Other than that though, my experience with the box has been great. My only wish is that it would lower all the windows after I put the top down (they always end up raised) but that's easy enough to fix with a long press on the unlock key (or the buttons on the driver's door.) I asked the makers if they could add the feature, but apparently there is a technical reason why it can't be done (although I don't know why the box can't just send the "all windows down" signal after it finishes stowing the roof.)

Quote Originally Posted by ricksli View Post
      I've got one in mine. R u sure you can put the windows UP and DOWN via the remote? It does not list that as a feature. Perhaps they made an update?

As a suggestion, I always keep the fastest speed programmed. Not that I use it, but it's nice to know it's there for those times that maybe I try to get that top up or down at a light...in the rain especially.

Actually, I try not to do it in motion at all as unlike in my Miata, as it's easy enough to start opening with the remote and just use the one touch after I walk away and have the top finish closing.
      Yes, I am sure. Hold down the unlock button and they go down. Press the lock button twice and they go up. It could be an update, and if you go to their website, you can update yours. All you need is to plug the module into a USB port on a laptop with a wireless internet connection. I left the USB cable plugged into my module and the other end (the end that would plug into my laptop) is accessible by opening the taillight access panel.

That's a pretty cool feature; although we're on our third Volvo convertible and have gotten used to the quirks.(Like windows UP after top is lowered???)

The all windows down feature is nice and we can't figure out why it's not on the XC60 in particular.

The mirrors tilting in reverse is something we 'got back' with the new RDX(our Lexus RX had it) and I think it would be a nice feature on the C70. On the RDX, you can choose right-left-off for mirror tilting(not both at once like the Lexus).

I know top operation while moving has been around since the '60s, but I'll 'settle' for being still while operating the top...old dog and all that . Being able to operate the top remotely is remotely interesting...hmmm.Congrats on the upgrade.
      Current: '13 C70 Caspian Blue 2015 FIAT 500L Lounge Grigio Chiaro...until Volvo brings the XC40 to the States!!!
      Previous Volvos[/I]: '11 C70 Ice White;
      Polestar ,'10 XC60 T6 Electric Silver; '08 C70, '07 XC70, '04 V70', '04 C70, '01 S40, '80 242 GT '72 145

It was $290. Pretty cool though.

1. With the remote, I can open/close all windows or open/close the top.
      2. The top open/close button that is in the car can now be used as "one touch", meaning I don't have to hold it the entire time the top is in motion.
      3. I can now open/close the top while moving (slowly). It is programmable to 4 different speeds, 25 mph being the fastest. I have it set to 20 mph.
      4. The side mirrors dip down when I put the car in reverse, supposedly to aid in backing up but I can't quite figure out how this would help.
      5. The door locks can be set to A) Unlock when ignition is turned off OR B) Unlock when key is pulled out OR C) Factory setting.

There's a few other things that it does but I can't think of them right now. Installation wasn't too bad. Took about an hour.

Next purchase? Polestar.
      Glad to hear it works well/as promised. Bought the module recently and now appears I am going to trading the C70 on a Lexus (long story--kids are bigger, backseat not working well etc). In any event, if anyone is interested I will be posting it over in the classified section. $299 new--mine is still in the factory box, hasn't even been opened. Will be listed for $200. Enjoy, I will miss my convertible!!

Yes, I am sure. Hold down the unlock button and they go down. Press the lock button twice and they go up. It could be an update, and if you go to their website, you can update yours. All you need is to plug the module into a USB port on a laptop with a wireless internet connection. I left the USB cable plugged into my module and the other end (the end that would plug into my laptop) is accessible by opening the taillight access panel.
      LOL. This worked on mine too. For some reason I had it stuck in my head that to putting them up only "worked" when the top was already up by finishing the cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
      Glad to hear it works well/as promised. Bought the module recently and now appears I am going to trading the C70 on a Lexus (long story--kids are bigger, backseat not working well etc). In any event, if anyone is interested I will be posting it over in the classified section. $299 new--mine is still in the factory box, hasn't even been opened. Will be listed for $200. Enjoy, I will miss my convertible!!
      Thanks for all the replies folks (wow!) Module is sold. Sorry to those who were not first to email.

did you all install this yourself? i would love to add it to my 08 c70 but am not a great mechanic. plug and play i can do... what's involved? is there a video?

I installed it myself. There is no video but it comes with good instructions that have pictures. It took me about an hour. The hardest part is getting your hand in around the trunk carpet. I couldn't get power from where the instructions said I would find it so I just wired it to a hot 12 volt wire. So, I did use a multimeter. And the wire has to be hot whether the key is on or not. I would not take it somewhere to have it installed because they will probably charge you too much for what is a very easy job. If you need help, get a friend and a few beers. It's easy. And you will love the features of this thing. Being able to put the roof up or down while moving slowly is great.

coo, thanks! you've got me really interested in getting it now. would love to have the top opening up as i walk towards it, or having it close as i'm walking away.

where did you end up finding the hot wire?

I can't remember exactly which wire was hot. What I did was sharpen one of my meter's probes and poke through the insulation of a few wires until I found a hot one. The ground was a wire screwed to the top of the fenderwell in the same area that the instructions tell you to be. Ground was very easy. I just loostened the screw and added the ground wire from the module to it. Speaking of instructions, here's what you'll get.

http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/db/smar...install/en.php

http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/db/smar...eration/en.php

The module itself is very small. Maybe 2" x 3" x 1".

Bud, do you happen to remember the color code on the Hot wire you used? i ordered the smart top module, should arrive in a week or so. planning to install once it gets here.

No. But I can tell you that any "always hot" wire will work. And the only reason I manually found one was because I couldn't get the one in the instructions to work. Maybe it will work fine for you.

I wouldn't mine installing but; I'm afraid to do something as that as car is under warranty.
      Does anyone think it would be a problem?

It is easy to disable so it can't be detected. They call it stealth mode.

well, i'm going for it. still have a little bit over a year on my factory warranty but why miss out on year's worth of enjoyment -- this smartop will increase my enjoyment of the car quite a lot i think. it's a pain to have to sit and wait for the top to come down.

really look forward to starting the process as i walk up to the car and being able to pull out slowly as it finishes if it's not done. or to 1 touch push should i decide once i'm already in the car. and i would appreciate seeing the parking space lines more easily when reversing so like the down tilting side mirrors ability.

can't wait! hope the install is as easy as everyone seems to suggest.
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak
      Shark Tune - GoVo ECU Spacer - Ford e-Focus Mount - Koni FSD - Elevate SwayBar - Massive Camber Arms - Centric Rotors - Akebono Pads - Nokian Z-Line 235/45/18 - Mods4cars SmartTop - Llumar/Madico Tint - E46 Bi-Xenon Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 - LED Int/Ext/Halos - Fryalip - Fumoto Valve

You'll love it.

Well, jschinito, I am finally beating you to a mod! Bought this last week and just finished installing it. Two miracles- 1) it worked without having to redo anything and, 2) I did not injure myself during the installation. Have only operated it to ensure it works properly so will have to hold off for a while to describe how it has completely changed my life, but am certainly impressed that even I was able to install it so easily. My wife returns from an overseas trip in a few days and she doesn't know anything about it. Hope she appreciates how thoughtful I was to upgrade her car like this!
      2015 V60 T5 AWD, Bright silver metallic, Premier Plus, BLIS Package, heated front seats, mud guards, spare tire (with bag holder retained)

Previous: 2010 C30 T5 w/Polestar and 2012 C70 T5 w/Polestar

Now that I had a chance to play with it some, while driving around working on my tan, I'm sold on this thing! If it weren't for Volvo lawyers, I bet this is how the roof/window controls would have operated from the factory. Such a civilized way to operate the roof button- just tap it and forget it.
      2015 V60 T5 AWD, Bright silver metallic, Premier Plus, BLIS Package, heated front seats, mud guards, spare tire (with bag holder retained)

Quote Originally Posted by JimnSam View Post
      Well, jschinito, I am finally beating you to a mod! Bought this last week and just finished installing it. Two miracles- 1) it worked without having to redo anything and, 2) I did not injure myself during the installation. Have only operated it to ensure it works properly so will have to hold off for a while to describe how it has completely changed my life, but am certainly impressed that even I was able to install it so easily. My wife returns from an overseas trip in a few days and she doesn't know anything about it. Hope she appreciates how thoughtful I was to upgrade her car like this!
      you are a thoughtful husband! and great to hear the install was easy. i ordered a multimeter in case i needed it.

the more i drive it the more i love this car. maybe it's all that extra vit d i'm getting that's giving me the good vibes :-)
      seriously i drove my wife's prius today and can't imagine a human was even involved in the design of those prius seats.

anyways, once we tweak out the lawyer-specs (smarttop for more useful top, stiffer rear sway bar for less body roll and understeer) we can really enjoy this car as intended!
      Shark Tune - GoVo ECU Spacer - Ford e-Focus Mount - Koni FSD - Elevate SwayBar - Massive Camber Arms - Centric Rotors - Akebono Pads - Nokian Z-Line 235/45/18 - Mods4cars SmartTop - Llumar/Madico Tint - E46 Bi-Xenon Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 - LED Int/Ext/Halos - Fryalip - Fumoto Valve

I was playing with mine this past weekend and found somethinmg else it does. If the top is closed but the windows are open, pulling up on the top close button will close all the windows at the same time. Cool.

the module arrived today. planning to install this weekend.

You guys have got me thinking. I looked through the instructions and it seems fairly straightforward. I don't want to void my safe & secure, but it looks like that is addressed by the "off" feature. How easy is the programming? Can you quickly disable it before dropping off at dealer?

Where exactly do you mount the module -- do you have to drill mounting holes for screws/bolts? does it mount on existing holes/threaded bolts?
      regtor
      2011 C70 T5 electric silver metallic/cranberry
      dynamic, multimedia, climate & convenience packages
      blis, sport pedals, oem front strut bar, elevate rear sway bar
      polestar+ performance upgrade

The module itself goes in the trunk, right side, peel back the carpeting, and then it tucks underneath the computer that is back there. No drilling. You don't need to get to it ever again. The programming is done through the drivers side door lock button and the roof open/close button. It takes about 30 seconds to put it in stealth mode. Just keep the instructions handy and you'll be fine.

Thanks Bud. So, is it just loose back there, or is it wedged securely? I also read that the Sirius box may be in the way - is that the case?
      regtor
      2011 C70 T5 electric silver metallic/cranberry
      dynamic, multimedia, climate & convenience packages
      blis, sport pedals, oem front strut bar, elevate rear sway bar
      polestar+ performance upgrade

It comes with velcro and you're supposed to velcro it to the bottom side of the computer, but I could barely get my hand down there, so I just set it in there and put the carpeting back. I suppose if you rolled back more of the carpet you could have better access but I didn't think it was necessary. I'm not sure where the Sirius box is but it wasn't where I put this module. Also, in one of my previous posts, I mentioned that I left a USB cable attached to the module and it runs up to the top of that area. If I open the little flap that gives access to the emergency pull cable for the gas door, that's where I left the end of the USB cable. This is just in case the Smart Top company puts out any updates. That way I can just download the update to a laptop, then hook the laptop up to that USB cable that I left in there. No need to ever get to the module itself.

I did it the same as Banjo Bud. As tight as it was to get my hand in there, it was a bit of effort just to get the module shoved down below the computer. Didn't see any need to even use the velcro since it didn't seem likely to move anywhere.

According to the instructions, the carpet is able to be moved well away from the computer. Fat chance on my car! Which is fine since I don't expect to ever be rooting around in there again.

Confirmed my suspicion this afternoon that while the Operating Manual says that the passenger mirror can be set to dip, it will dip both mirrors as long as seat position 3 is set to have them both dipped.

ugh! got it this afternoon but due to us trying to potty-train the twins, i was occupied all afternoon.

tried to install it after bedtime as the sun was setting and managed to lose one of the snap-ins down the abyss... so will need a stop to radioshack to buy some more. tapped the green-black, just need to tap the red-white... plugged everything else in without too much difficulty.

firmware was 1.14 already so nothing to update. i did download the mac software and it didn't work -- just hung (macbook air os 10.8.3). guess if a newer update came out, i'd have to use my mother-in-law's pc laptop.

pretty sure the things i'd change from pre-set are: 40mph, one touch all windows, and park assist.
      eventually may do "extended" when i'm comfortable using it...

for those considering this mod, minimal tools needed but you will need: 10mm socket, T-25 torx screw driver, and pliers to crip the taps....and good lighting

hopefully i'll be posting tomorrow night with an "it's done, i love it"

finished the install this am.

radioshack was open until 9pm last night i so picked up a set of yellow tap-ins last night. $3.

so it turns out the stock included yellow taps don't fit the red clips the module comes wired with...the included yellow taps are too big for the red clips to fit over... the red clips fit the radioshack yellow taps just fine.

not a huge deal but an inconvenience for sure. so i ended up tapping the green-black wire twice, once with the included yellow tap and again with the radioshack yellow one that i was actually able to fit the red clip on. worked fine though... after that, green led light!

as others have said, well worth it. seriously, the smarttop options and the windblocker should come standard with every c70. but it's great a company offers it.

went ahead and set up the "extended" settings - just makes sense to be able to start up or kill the engine while the top's finishing it's opening or closing dance.

ps. no multimeter needed ($12 from amazon, will go in the garage for any future projects down the line). for my 2008 at least, red/white was power, green/black was ground just as pictured in the instructions.
      Last edited by jschinito; 05-02-2013 at 02:06 PM.

installed. biggest hassle was getting hands and pliers in there to install vampire clamps. plus dropping the clamps a couple of times didn't help....

the Red/White wire and the Black/Green wires had duplicates in my harness. i used the heavier gauge Red/White (maybe 14 or 16 gauge) and the medium gauge Black/Green (maybe 16 or 18 gauge). looked to be the same wires used the pictures.

zip tied the USB cable to the tail light harness for easy access behind the tail light cover.
      Last edited by RadioZero; 05-04-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Does the car get locked when you remotely close the roof?
      C70 T5 2008, K16 RS turbo, 384 HP (340 WHP), ATM400 Autotech tune

Quote Originally Posted by kova View Post
      Does the car get locked when you remotely close the roof?
      yes because you push the remote lock button 3 times in a row to close the top. the first push of the lock button locks the car.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast