I sprung for the Mods4cars Smart Top module - Page 4
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
      Sorry, I haven't read all the past posts but as far as I know there is no auto-lock with the module. Having the door locked or unlocked before the the triple press open or close is one key thing to be aware of. To remote close the top you need one press that counts as the door lock then the three to activate the close. Same basic thing with the all windows up, first press to lock double press to power up all windows.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

As far as battery drain, I think you should be fine. When I first put mine in I probably averaged at least 4 ignition-off top open/close a day for well over a year without a problem. My battery did die a couple months ago but that seemed to be right around the normal time people said the Volvo batteries go. I do use the top a little more often now with the ignition on

Thank you for the reply!

I finally figured everything out including the auto lock issue mentioned earlier.

Details below: (All with ignition off)

1) When car is locked and top closed, press UNLOCK key button three times to open top.

2) When car is unlocked and top is open, press LOCK key button three times to close top and lock the car.

3) When all windows are up and closed, long press UNLOCK button until all windows roll down, then you can release the UNLOCK button.

4) When top is closed and windows are not rolled up, press LOCK key button three times, all windows will roll up.

5) You can adjust the passenger side mirror to tilt down so you can see your passenger side rear wheel/tire, then save into seating adjustment memory #3, next time when you shift into reverse gear and try to do curb side parking, the mirror will automatically adjust as previously memory #3 set up.

6) Without the smart top module, open/close of the top can only be done by pedaling on brake and in parking gear and holding open or close button for 30 seconds. With the module installed, top can be operated in the following ways:
      a) one touch of open or close button at center control even when car is moving under certain speed;
      b) Before getting in the car, triple press unlock key button to open top;
      c) After getting off the car, triple press lock key button to close top and lock the car.

Sent from my Samsung Note 4 via TapaTalk

Last edited by hu.yuliang; 07-22-2015 at 08:55 PM.

Any one with 2006/2007 model C70 and had success in adding a very nice aftermarket bluetooth connection?

6-CD is certainly nice as standard, but getting a nice aftermarket BT installed would be super.

I love love love my 12 speakers Dynaudio.

I went to my bank to make a quick deposit during my lunch break today and did a curb side meter parking.

The SmartTop side mirror set up during Reverse Gear works like a charm. Man, I was so happy at that very moment. HAHA!

i had an older belkin but love this newer aukey that's bluetooth 4.0 and autoconnects when i get in the car. great sound, nice to be able to turn knob to advance songs rather than fumble and the phone. also nice 2 usb cigarette lighter plug too

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RJQ...ZuL&ref=plSrch
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak/18x8 Black Midirs
      Shark Tune - GoVo ECU Spacer - Ford e-Focus Mount - Koni FSD - Elevate SwayBar - Massive Camber Arms - Centric Rotors - Akebono Pads - Nokian Z-Line 235/45/18 - Mods4cars SmartTop - Llumar/Madico Tint - E46 Bi-Xenon Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 - LED Int/Ext/Halos - Fryalip - Fumoto Valve

Too bad that my 2006 C70 does not have aux input. 😭😭😭

sorry that is a bummer. non-aux guys don't have many great options. fm transmitters will have some noise...
      Shark Tune - GoVo ECU Spacer - Ford e-Focus Mount - Koni FSD - Elevate SwayBar - Massive Camber Arms - Centric Rotors - Akebono Pads - Nokian Z-Line 235/45/18 - Mods4cars SmartTop - Llumar/Madico Tint - E46 Bi-Xenon Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 - LED Int/Ext/Halos - Fryalip - Fumoto Valve

This might be a set up I could run for music streaming since I have bt for the phone on the car. Just one question though:

If the phone connects to the aukey, and a call comes in while listening to fm radio, you would have to switch to aux to take the call right?
      Otherwise you would have to constantly switch between car bt and aukey on your phone, correct? How can you use this for music, alongside bt on the car for calls?

Quote Originally Posted by jschinito View Post
      i had an older belkin but love this newer aukey that's bluetooth 4.0 and autoconnects when i get in the car. great sound, nice to be able to turn knob to advance songs rather than fumble and the phone. also nice 2 usb cigarette lighter plug too

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RJQ...ZuL&ref=plSrch

yes, need to switch to aux(connected to aukey bluetooth) if a call comes in.
      i'm using the free 3 months of apple music right now so i get ad-free music piping in all the time now on my commute - i love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Socalc70 View Post
      This might be a set up I could run for music streaming since I have bt for the phone on the car. Just one question though:

If the phone connects to the aukey, and a call comes in while listening to fm radio, you would have to switch to aux to take the call right?
      Otherwise you would have to constantly switch between car bt and aukey on your phone, correct? How can you use this for music, alongside bt on the car for calls?

I don't see the point of using the aux if your C70 comes with BT connection.

I was a bit surprised to realize the following added feature from the SmartTop setup. Very useful!

Comfort Window Close
      One-Touch operation when closing all windows simultaneously via the separate "all windows" button.

Quote Originally Posted by hu.yuliang View Post
      I don't see the point of using the aux if your C70 comes with BT connection.

Later models like my 11 have bt for phone calls, but not for music streaming.

My 2013 XC90 can do both calls and music streaming and GPS voice nav, all through connection with my Samsung Note 4.

Sorry that I did not know your 2011 C70 could not do music streaming via BT.

deleted post
      Last edited by hu.yuliang; 07-24-2015 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hu.yuliang View Post
      I have seen two times during the last 10 days or so that the outside temperature reading (instrument panel) showed lower than normal temperature. This morning, outside was like 70F, and car reading was like 56F.

Anyone else experienced the same kind of issue before?

Mine is 2006 C70.

Everything else runs smooth and super.

I called and talked to dealer today and they told me it could be the sensor located at driver door mirror or maybe door panel wiring.

Quoted $60+ for checking the issue before possibly fixing it.

I want to wait a bit to see if the incorrect reading would come back the 3rd time.

Aren't some of these a bit off topic? Why don't you start a new thread?
      2012 red c70. Polestar

Later models like my 11 have bt for phone calls, but not for music streaming.
      2012 does stream music via BT
      2012 White C70 Polestar Inscription, Heico Air filter, Heico body kit with exhaust

Smart Top installation

Resurrecting an old thread to praise the Smart Top upgrade!! I finally installed it and am very pleased. I wanted to share a few installation pictures and notes. Installation was very straightforward and took about one hour and change, only because I took my time. I did set the settings on the unit using the USB cable to my laptop before installing it.

Here is the whole kit. The wire harness has been upgraded so you do NOT need to use wire taps anymore. It is now truly plug and play, using two connectors into the car's top controller module - the regular green one and a newer gray one that must provide power. I was also surprised at how small and light the module is - see my remote fob / key chain for scale:

The key connectors are the green one and the gray one further below. The green connector is easy to do as it is the first one at the top of a vertical row of connectors on the top controller module. But, the gray connector is a pain to reach - it is the next to the last plug at the bottom of controller, very tight reach but doable by pushing the hard carpet panel way back. Here is a picture of the top controller module and the row of connectors - the gray one you need is marked with a blue circle:

Here is the harness plugged into the top controller, but not yet plugged into the Smart Top module. The Sirius module is not too much in the way, but it does have some sharp corners that will cut into your hand/knuckles:

Here's the Smart Top unit plugged in, the Sirius module takes up some room but there is plenty of room below it and to the side for the Smart Top module:

I ended up using the Velcro tape to stick the Smart Top unit to another module (not sure what it is) just below the tail light - see bottom end of picture (I straightened it out later):

I left the USB cable connected and zip tied it to the tail light harness for easy access after removing the tail light access panel. (No picture but similar to what others have done.)

Here's a video of opening and closing the top using the remote (press unlock three times to open, lock three times to close):
      https://youtu.be/ZxruDUXymGU
      Last edited by regtor; 05-02-2017 at 07:04 PM.
      regtor
      2011 C70 T5 polestar | electric silver metallic/cranberry
      dynamic, multimedia, climate & convenience packages
      blis, sport pedals, oem front strut bar, elevate rear sway bar, mods4cars smart top, volvotech vbb4 rear camera

Question to those of you with the Smart Top in a post-facelift C70. My 2011 does not have the "all windows down" switch on the driver's door that the earlier C70s have. "Function 5" on the Smart Top is supposed to allow the switch to RAISE all the windows (as well as lower them). But, what does Function 5 do if you don't have the "all windows" switch?
      regtor
      blis, sport pedals, oem front strut bar, elevate rear sway bar, mods4cars smart top, volvotech vbb4 rear camera

Quote Originally Posted by regtor View Post
      Question to those of you with the Smart Top in a post-facelift C70. My 2011 does not have the "all windows down" switch on the driver's door that the earlier C70s have. "Function 5" on the Smart Top is supposed to allow the switch to RAISE all the windows (as well as lower them). But, what does Function 5 do if you don't have the "all windows" switch?
      I asked Mods4Cars and they promptly responded that they were not aware that the post-facelift C70s do not have the "all windows" switch. Thus, Function 5 does nothing and should stay disabled, which is how I left it.
      regtor

I sprung for the Mods4cars Smart Top module

I asked Mods4Cars and they promptly responded that they were not aware that the post-facelift C70s do not have the "all windows" switch. Thus, Function 5 does nothing and should stay disabled, which is how I left it.
      Regtor, the windows will go up or down by holding down the lock button on your keyfob (for up) and holding the unlock button for down. So turn that function on and it will work like a charm.

Also, if the roof if up, one short pull on the roof switch will raise all the windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regtor, the windows will go up or down by holding down the lock button on your keyfob (for up) and holding the unlock button for down. So turn that function on and it will work like a charm.

Also, if the roof if up, one short pull on the roof switch will raise all the windows.

I turned Function 5 to setting 1 but I am not getting this feature. The windows all go down if I press and hold the key fob unlock button, which I believe is a factory feature (not Smart Top). But, I do not get the 'all windows up' feature from either pressing (and holding) the lock button on the keyfob or from pulling up the roof switch when the top is up. Frankly, I don't think I will be using these features anyway, but I may open a support ticket at mods4cars. Anyone have any other suggestions?

UPDATE: All windows WILL go up when the top is up and you press the keyfob lock button three times. But, I cannot get all windows up by pulling up the roof switch (when top is up). No worries, I'll likely never use that feature anyway.
      Last edited by regtor; 05-07-2017 at 04:07 PM.
      regtor

I turned Function 5 to setting 1 but I am not getting this feature. The windows all go down if I press and hold the key fob unlock button, which I believe is a factory feature (not Smart Top). But, I do not get the 'all windows up' feature from either pressing (and holding) the lock button on the keyfob or from pulling up the roof switch when the top is up. Frankly, I don't think I will be using these features anyway, but I will open a support ticket at mods4cars. Anyone have any other suggestions?
      I just tried it. To make the windows go up, I actually had to click the lock button twice and holding it down on the second push. Try that.

I just tried it. To make the windows go up, I actually had to click the lock button twice and holding it down on the second push. Try that.

Thanks! I figured that out and was updating my post when your reply came through.
      regtor

Exclamation Sirius- off topic

May 7, 2017
      Ok you mentioned the Sirius module- I just spent $170 to have a software upgrade to disable Sirius because it was seeking licensing and/or trying to connect to the SAT. and ran my battery down. Don't tell me all I had to do was disconnect this piece of junk and saved myself those $$$. What do ya think? Just curious.
      thanks
      Paul

Resurrecting an old thread to praise the Smart Top upgrade!! I finally installed it and am very pleased. I wanted to share a few installation pictures and notes. Installation was very straightforward and took about one hour and change, only because I took my time. I did set the settings on the unit using the USB cable to my laptop before installing it.

Here is the whole kit. The wire harness has been upgraded so you do NOT need to use wire taps anymore. It is now truly plug and play, using two connectors into the car's top controller module - the regular green one and a newer gray one that must provide power. I was also surprised at how small and light the module is - see my remote fob / key chain for scale:

The key connectors are the green one and the gray one further below. The green connector is easy to do as it is the first one at the top of a vertical row of connectors on the top controller module. But, the gray connector is a pain to reach - it is the next to the last plug at the bottom of controller, very tight reach but doable by pushing the hard carpet panel way back. Here is a picture of the top controller module and the row of connectors - the gray one you need is marked with a blue circle:

Here is the harness plugged into the top controller, but not yet plugged into the Smart Top module. The Sirius module is not too much in the way, but it does have some sharp corners that will cut into your hand/knuckles:

Here's the Smart Top unit plugged in, the Sirius module takes up some room but there is plenty of room below it and to the side for the Smart Top module:

I ended up using the Velcro tape to stick the Smart Top unit to another module (not sure what it is) just below the tail light - see bottom end of picture (I straightened it out later):

I left the USB cable connected and zip tied it to the tail light harness for easy access after removing the tail light access panel. (No picture but similar to what others have done.)

Here's a video of opening and closing the top using the remote (press unlock three times to open, lock three times to close):
      https://youtu.be/ZxruDUXymGU
      2011 S40 T5 Polestar-Barents-Convector Wheels/BLIS/R Type Spoiler
      2011- C70-T5 - Polestar--Electric Silver-Loaded- except Blis
      1987- Vanagon Westy Camper

Quote Originally Posted by gotart View Post
      May 7, 2017
      Ok you mentioned the Sirius module- I just spent $170 to have a software upgrade to disable Sirius because it was seeking licensing and/or trying to connect to the SAT. and ran my battery down. Don't tell me all I had to do was disconnect this piece of junk and saved myself those $$$. What do ya think? Just curious.
      thanks
      Paul
      Yes, it's off-topic but I think disconnecting the Sirius module would have done the trick. I had a somewhat similar issue in a 2005 Accord where we installed an ipod/iphone interface and cable into the factory radio/CD changer and eventually had to unplug the Sirius box in order to resolve a conflict and get the ipod/iphone cable and interface to work. No problems ever since, for several years now. By the way, the Sirius module in that Accord is in the same spot - right rear panel accessed from inside the trunk.
      regtor

28. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4