I sprung for the Mods4cars Smart Top module - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by RadioZero View Post
      yes because you push the remote lock button 3 times in a row to close the top. the first push of the lock button locks the car.
      I see, thank you!
      C70 T5 2008, K16 RS turbo, 384 HP (340 WHP), ATM400 Autotech tune

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

for what it's worth, while i agree it's a tight spot back there, i did end up putting on the tape and slid my the module below the computer/box to affix the smartop module down there

got to use it some this weekend and it truly is a joy. on touch windows up rocks. the remote access to top up/down is great. but even if i forget or decide last minute, the one touch top down (put on seat belt, adjust stereo) and being able to slowly pull away is just marvelously delicious...

next to the engine torque mount (super high value/$), the smartop is my favorite mod thus far.
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak/18x8 Black Midirs
      Shark Tune - GoVo ECU Spacer - Ford e-Focus Mount - Koni FSD - Elevate SwayBar - Massive Camber Arms - Centric Rotors - Akebono Pads - Nokian Z-Line 235/45/18 - Mods4cars SmartTop - Llumar/Madico Tint - E46 Bi-Xenon Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 - LED Int/Ext/Halos - Fryalip - Fumoto Valve

i am having issues and it points to the smart top module. the symptoms are the car is in a sleep mode. when you open the door, the window does not drop 1/4", the odo does not light up, the trunk will not open. it's like the battery is dead. pushing the remote doesn't do anything. after a few minutes, the car will usually wake up. it ONLY happens in my garage after the car has been setting for a few days. it has never happened anywhere else....

i have checked the battery and it is fine. this has been going on for awhile, about 2 weeks ago I decided to unplug the smart top module. since unplugging, i have not had the issue.

is there a setting on the smart top module that could cause this issue? something I might have missed during set up of the module?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Very strange but I'd say it gas nothing to do with the smart top. Call smart top and ask.

It didn't start happening until after the smart top install and it hasn't done it in the 2 weeks since the smart top was unplugged. The smart top is my only electrical mod.

It acts exactly like the battery is dead. But if I check the battery, it's fine. Sometimes the sleep will only last 2-3 minutes, the last time it happened it stayed asleep for over 20 minutes. That's when I decided to unplug the smart top.

did you download the latest firmware before installing the smarttop. i haven't had your problem but if it's only happening when it's plugged in, it's either software or hardware related to the module.
      Shark Tune - GoVo ECU Spacer - Ford e-Focus Mount - Koni FSD - Elevate SwayBar - Massive Camber Arms - Centric Rotors - Akebono Pads - Nokian Z-Line 235/45/18 - Mods4cars SmartTop - Llumar/Madico Tint - E46 Bi-Xenon Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 - LED Int/Ext/Halos - Fryalip - Fumoto Valve

Quote Originally Posted by jschinito View Post
      did you download the latest firmware before installing the smarttop. i haven't had your problem but if it's only happening when it's plugged in, it's either software or hardware related to the module.
      yes. the smart top module is still inside the trunk, i just unplugged the green multi pin connectors and left it behind the felt. the USB wire is zip tied to the rear tail light. i will take the lap top out to the car and plug up the USB to check for any additional updates.

did you figure out your smarttop issue? i hear they are good about customer service and would send you out a replacement module if yours is defective.

i checked for updates and it says mine is version 1.14 and it is up to date.

it is still disconnected from the car and i have Not had a single "sleep" problem since the unit has been disconnected. everything points to the smart top module.

i called motivemods and they want me to take some pictures of the module and email them. i will do it this weekend.
      Last edited by RadioZero; 11-06-2013 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioZero View Post
      i am having issues and it points to the smart top module. the symptoms are the car is in a sleep mode. when you open the door, the window does not drop 1/4", the odo does not light up, the trunk will not open. it's like the battery is dead. pushing the remote doesn't do anything. after a few minutes, the car will usually wake up. it ONLY happens in my garage after the car has been setting for a few days. it has never happened anywhere else....

i have checked the battery and it is fine. this has been going on for awhile, about 2 weeks ago I decided to unplug the smart top module. since unplugging, i have not had the issue.

is there a setting on the smart top module that could cause this issue? something I might have missed during set up of the module?

A few days after I saw you post this, my module just seemed to die and I could not activate the top from the remote or the inside switch and the door unlock program mode was unresponsive. I have had the smart top running for almost 2 years with no issues at all. After I opened everything up and removed the module I had the same experience with no door or ignition power for a min or two and I'm guessing the car control module may have been rebooting? I never had this happen with the module in place but it did happen twice when I was testing reinstalling and removing it.

No solution yet on why my module failed but Mods4cars has been very responsive in trying to help troubleshoot this.

The sobering thought that came out of this was what would have happened if this died with the top down? as there appears to be no easy way to get in and remove the module or raise the top and I'm afraid to even think what the dealer would have charged me to fix.
      Anyone know if the top can be physically forced up or the top motor could be jumped?

Quote Originally Posted by jjjgoalie View Post
      A few days after I saw you post this, my module just seemed to die and I could not activate the top from the remote or the inside switch and the door unlock program mode was unresponsive. I have had the smart top running for almost 2 years with no issues at all. After I opened everything up and removed the module I had the same experience with no door or ignition power for a min or two and I'm guessing the car control module may have been rebooting? I never had this happen with the module in place but it did happen twice when I was testing reinstalling and removing it.

No solution yet on why my module failed but Mods4cars has been very responsive in trying to help troubleshoot this.

The sobering thought that came out of this was what would have happened if this died with the top down? as there appears to be no easy way to get in and remove the module or raise the top and I'm afraid to even think what the dealer would have charged me to fix.
      Anyone know if the top can be physically forced up or the top motor could be jumped?
      i don't think so.... in fact, i think that's why there's supposed to an "emergency car cover" stashed in our rear center armrest in case you can't get the top up. i haven't checked to see if mine's there...

hope the fix your smarttop module soon. last winter i heard some electrical crackling noise from back there when it had rained. i didn't have any problems with it's function but the noise was disconcerting. it'd only last a few minutes on start up. so i placed a ziplock back around the module a couple months ago in anticipation of this winter just in case water had gotten to it.

Quote Originally Posted by jschinito View Post
      i don't think so.... in fact, i think that's why there's supposed to an "emergency car cover" stashed in our rear center armrest in case you can't get the top up. i haven't checked to see if mine's there...
      My 2011 did not come with this "emergency" cover, even though it is mentioned in the owner's manual. I called Volvo customer service a couple of times to no avail, they said that the reference in the 2011 manual was inadvertently left over from prior years and should have been removed. So, definitely check to see if your 2008 has the cover. And, I'd be curious if anyone with a 2010 or newer C70 actually has this cover.

Any update on the problems reported in this thread? How has Mods4Cars's customer service been? Frankly, these issues are what I was worried about and why I haven't done this mod.
      regtor
      2011 C70 T5 polestar | electric silver metallic/cranberry
      dynamic, multimedia, climate & convenience packages
      blis, sport pedals, oem front strut bar, elevate rear sway bar, mods4cars smart top, volvotech vbb4 rear camera

Quote Originally Posted by regtor View Post
      My 2011 did not come with this "emergency" cover, even though it is mentioned in the owner's manual. I called Volvo customer service a couple of times to no avail, they said that the reference in the 2011 manual was inadvertently left over from prior years and should have been removed. So, definitely check to see if your 2008 has the cover. And, I'd be curious if anyone with a 2010 or newer C70 actually has this cover.

Any update on the problems reported in this thread? How has Mods4Cars's customer service been? Frankly, these issues are what I was worried about and why I haven't done this mod.

I have to say their response could not have been any better to my problem and they replied back to me the day after I opened a ticket. After a remote hook-up to the module they think my problem may be a blown voltage regulator n the module as it worked fine while on USB power and the wire taps all tested ok. They had me mail it back to them yesterday and indicated they would try to repair or would replace it for me (after 2 years of ownership).

The one additional thing I would pass on is that I would highly recommend leaving the USB cable connected and accessible from behind the trunk tail light cover. If I had this same problem with the top down I still would have been able to plug into a laptop to restore top controls or Mods4cars said they could flash reset the module or maybe even send a remote signal.

i had hand surgery last week and haven't been able to remove my module and take pictures as per mod4cars request. my module is still disconnected and my car has Not had any problems. so again, all my issues point to the module.

No one I have talked to had ever heard of the emergency cover. I guess they saved a few dollars by not including that any more. Just hope the battery doesn't die with the top down.
      2012 red c70. Polestar

I don't get it. Were you able to start the car after that "minute or two" after you removed the module?

as there appears to be no easy way to get in and remove the module
      , I have already used the mechanical steel keyed trunk opener located in the area under the driver side rear seat, the cut out in the carpet is located where one's calves would be next too. Turn 110 degrees and it opens the trunk with no electrical power. I did this out of ignorance not knowing the first day that the trunk does not make an audible noise or move when operating the key remote. I thought it was not working, so tried the key.
      2011 C70, Flamenco Red, Dynamic Package, Climate Package

Quote Originally Posted by kova View Post
      I don't get it. Were you able to start the car after that "minute or two" after you removed the module?

No, I would turn the key and nothing would happen but I only experienced this twice after numerous times connecting and disconnecting the module. Seemed to take 30sec to a min before everything would reactivate.

Update on my Smart Top module.
      They did find a blown power regulator fuse on the module and replaced it with a slightly larger one and shipped it back to me at no cost the following day. I have had it back in the car and working with no problems at all the past 3 - 4 weeks.

nice to hear the problem was solved. and that there are still good companies out there that backup their product.

No, I would turn the key and nothing would happen but I only experienced this twice after numerous times connecting and disconnecting the module. Seemed to take 30sec to a min before everything would reactivate.

Update on my Smart Top module.
      They did find a blown power regulator fuse on the module and replaced it with a slightly larger one and shipped it back to me at no cost the following day. I have had it back in the car and working with no problems at all the past 3 - 4 weeks.
      Glad to hear they solved it for you!

i finally was able to take some pictures of the module to send to motive mods. i will email the photos and see what they say.

edit update: smartop wants me to return the module.
      Last edited by RadioZero; 12-20-2013 at 03:20 PM.

update: installed the module. SAME Problem appeared immediately!! Car acts like it has a dead battery.

here are some things i noticed:

the LED on the module was blinking at a fast rate. according to the instructions, this is correct. i also noticed that the LED would go Out, then later (minute or so), start the Fast blinking again.

according to Mods4 cars, they sent me a "replacement" module, but it came back to me in the exact same box and packing material that i shipped it with when i sent it to them. since the problem still exist, i wonder if they "replaced" or "returned" my module.

i did attempt to update the module prior to the install, it said firmware was newer than what was available. i also programmed the features i wanted with success.

none of the features would work, No windows down with remote, No top down with remote, nothing....

i removed the module and the car returned to normal.

anybody else have a 2012 C70 using the smartop module?
      Last edited by RadioZero; 01-18-2014 at 05:43 PM.

That's crazy. Mine works great for over a year now in my 2009.

I installed it in our 2012 last Spring. Have had no problems with it. Hope you can get the problem resolved since it really is a great enhancement to the car.
      2015 V60 T5 AWD, Bright silver metallic, Premier Plus, BLIS Package, heated front seats, mud guards, spare tire (with bag holder retained)

Previous: 2010 C30 T5 w/Polestar and 2012 C70 T5 w/Polestar

9 months in my 2008 and so far so good.

sounds like you need them to send you a new module

Mods4cars has asked me to do some trouble shooting. i will work on it soon and update this thread.

good to know it is working properly on another 2012. it worked okay on mine for a short period of time, then the sleeping (similar to a dead battery) issue starting happening.

did some FaceTime with Stefan (mods4cars guru) today and he is certain that i have a ground wire issue. thankfully the car did show him the issue, at first there were no issues then, with some tinkering, the module started showing him it was not performing properly. he says it all points to a ground wire issue. i will work on it next weekend and post up.
      Last edited by RadioZero; 02-02-2014 at 07:36 PM.

update: installed new 3M vampire clamps and some nice splade connectors to rule out main power ground issue. new clamps and wiring are good. the smartop module is still not working properly, same issues as previously described. i did notice jiggling the mods4cars wiring harness could cause the power supply to get glitchy. mods4cars is sending me a replacement wiring harness for their module. that is the only part that has not been replaced. upon arrival of the part, i will install and post up the results.

thanks for update. sounds like it will be sorted just in time for top down season ;-)

Success!!

it turned out to be the smart top wiring harness had a short somewhere in the harness itself. mods4cars sent me a new wiring harness and so far, every thing is working perfectly.

some of the other things i did during this journey: replaced supplied vampire clamps with nice 3M vampire clamps with some wire extensions that have female spade connections.
      Last edited by RadioZero; 02-22-2014 at 09:29 AM.

Congratulations! Glad it worked out.
      2015 V60 T5 AWD, Bright silver metallic, Premier Plus, BLIS Package, heated front seats, mud guards, spare tire (with bag holder retained)

Previous: 2010 C30 T5 w/Polestar and 2012 C70 T5 w/Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo Bud View Post
      Yes, I am sure. Hold down the unlock button and they go down. Press the lock button twice and they go up. It could be an update, and if you go to their website, you can update yours. All you need is to plug the module into a USB port on a laptop with a wireless internet connection. I left the USB cable plugged into my module and the other end (the end that would plug into my laptop) is accessible by opening the taillight access panel.
      Resurrecting an old thread, but I am thinking about the Smart Top again.

So, ALL Volvos (and lots of other cars) should have the "hold unlock button for all windows down" feature. Give it a try...

I will be adding it to mine once I get it. And then it'll be time for a Polestar mod...

It's been well over a year an I still love the smart top.

Purchased but still in the box

Ok, every time this thread pops up it gets me thinking about the smart top module I have sitting in a drawer still in the box. I bought it several months ago with the thought that it may not be available once my car was out of warranty since 2013 was the C70's last year. I know I am taking a chance with the unit's warranty this way, but WTH.

DW and I love the car but we just don't put that many miles on it so we will most likely seeing it out of warranty do to age and not mileage (got the extended warranty). That said, the smart top won't be going operational anytime soon if I wait for that to run out. Thus the questions for which I am posting this;

Besides RadioZero, (which alone has tipped the scale enough to not install at this point for me), has anyone one had a warranty denied or failure of operation of the mod? These two things, especially the failure possibility with the top down, have been the cause for the little voice in my head saying "Not yet."

I read these comments on how everyone loves the mod and it is very tempting to take the plunge!

Probably should have started a new thread with this, but hoping to get some good feedback on piggy backing.
      2011 C70, Flamenco Red, Dynamic Package, Climate Package

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast