'12 S60 R-Design - Rim (wheel) cleaner and car wax (easy to apply) recommendations?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

'12 S60 R-Design - Rim (wheel) cleaner and car wax (easy to apply) recommendations?

1. Cleaning the wheels
      I was wondering whether standard wheel (rim) cleaner (spray bottle) is safe for the finish of the 2012 R-Design's rims considering they are not chrome but are painted / sprayed with the grey color?

2. Wax
      I am looking for a reasonably long-lasting (does not need to be the best) car wax that is easy to apply and remove (no haze to scrub off which potentially can harm the finish and takes too long to remove as well).
      I know there is Optimum Car 'Wax' spray, which left streaking on my prior car (black C70), but I assume there is a compromise between that and a thick(er) (longer-lasting) wax that leaves a messy white haze that is harder to remove and that, I suspect, could cause swirl marks.

Open to all recommendations, thanks in advance!

3. Is an automatic car wash for new 2012 S60 R-D?
      The owner's manual notes not to go through an automatic car wash the first few months since the "paint won't have hardened enough".
      I assume this only applies to cars fresh off the assembly line. In other words I assume a new off the lot 2012, which was manufactured a lot more than a few months ago, can go through an automatic car wash right now?
      2012 S60 T6 AWD 325 HP R-Design (late August 2012)

I have never used wheel cleaner - never saw the need to so I would not be able to advise on that. I would be concerned about doing damage to them.

Lots of opinions on car wax - I just use the basic liquid turtle wax or whatever is on sale, within reason.

I would think you'd be okay on a '12 running it through a car wash. You could check the manufacture date and at least make sure it's been several months. I mostly handwash my cars and don't use automatics until temps get below 50 degrees.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5
      Present: '13 MX5 Club Sport, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70RGT

One man's opinion:

I have always used Liquid Glass. It is difficult to find (AutoBarn.com) carries it in stock, been around for years and really lasts a long time. It goes on with a little more effort than most products but comes off like a dream. Will leave a white powdery residue, but if you use a clean microfiber towel all the dust is captured in the weave.

One bit of trivia (truth) surrounding Liquid Glass. It is the only product used to clean and maintain the appearance of Air Force One.

Enjoy your fine car!
      Current: 2012 S60 T5 Saville Grey Beige/Black

Wish I Still Had: 1995 850 GLT

+1 on the Liquid Wax. Been using it for years. Started using it back in the 80's on my 56' T-Bird show car.

I use Mother's Wheel Cleaner on my S60 wheels before washing. Does a good job of loosening the grime, brake dust, etc. before washing.
      Present: 2012 S60 T5. Flamenco Red/Off-Black, Premium, climate, technology, multi-media, Blis, PCC, front camera
      Past: 2009 C70, vanilla pearl metallic, cacao sovereign, climate, premium, bliss, bi-xenon,Nordic oak, portable navigation.

I like Meguiar's products.......they also have some very informative videos.......

http://www.meguiars.com/en/videos

1-800-347-5700

www.meguiarsdirect.com
      2012 S60 T5 (OSD 4-2012) Ember/Offblack l Premium,Multimedia,Climate,Dynamic l BLIS/PCC/ABL/F&R Park Assist/Sport Pedals/Chrome Endpipes

2004 Nissan Armada

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      I have never used wheel cleaner - never saw the need to so I would not be able to advise on that. I would be concerned about doing damage to them.

Lots of opinions on car wax - I just use the basic liquid turtle wax or whatever is on sale, within reason.

I would think you'd be okay on a '12 running it through a car wash. You could check the manufacture date and at least make sure it's been several months. I mostly handwash my cars and don't use automatics until temps get below 50 degrees.

Thanks Wayne. I'll check out the store for waxes today.

I use machine washes for convenience. If I had more time I might consider hand washing.

Thanks for the tips everyone (had my reply to Wayne drafted earlier and when I submitted it I saw the other replies that had come in since).
      Yes, I know Meguiars is a trusted brand.

Johnny,
      I am admittedly a bit apprehensive of using wheel cleaner on the R-Design rim since their finish is not the typical chrome finish. It might be safe but I have not seen confirmation.
      Last edited by njdriver; 09-16-2012 at 09:50 AM.

Wheel Cleaner:
      All wheel cleaners do the same job. The best way to clean your rims is to use the cheapest stuff you can find. Do one wheel at a time, just spray the wheel cleaner on, and use a wheel brush (any type will do) and clean them off. They will look much better if you do them by hand, rather than looking for a wheel cleaner that you can just spray on and rinse off.

Wax:
      1. Long Lasting Wax - There is no such thing. All waxes are Developed to break down. The reason being is that your clear coat HAS to breathe. If it doesn't it will dry out, causing premature cracking, fading, and other unwanted side effects.

2. Wax vs Sealants. - First off, I like Meguiars but I prefer Auto Glym. It does a better job and the quality of their products is better. Auto Glym's Wax is amazing, you can apply it in direct sunlight (not recommended) and take it off with no problem. You should apply a new coat of wax approx once a month. As for Paint Sealants, they do a great job of protecting the paint/clear coat on a different chemical level. Again, Auto Glym makes a Paint Sealant that can be applied by hand and again, goes on smoothly and comes off without any problem. This is pretty optional if you use it, but it can be applied once a year or so..

3. As for using Automatic Car Washes... Dont. Either Save your money and wash your car at home by hand or go to a local detailing shop and have them do it, if you must spend the money. I have heard WAYYYY too many horror stories about auto car washes scratching the hell out of cars... breaking antennas off.. breaking mirrors or... and whatever else.. plus.. they do a terrible job.
      2004 S60 2.5T AWD. Tuned By UpSolute Tuning.

I've been using Griots products the past few years and I have been happy with the results. I will use a wheel cleaner to help loosen brake dust if the wheels are really dirty, but usually a soapy sponge by hand works just fine.

Here are a couple video clips on using the products, and there happens to be a Volvo wheel in the clip.

Wheel and Tire product link

I have tried the Armor All Wheel protectant product and the results were ok. It helped delay the collection of brake dust but does not block it completely:

Griots may be on the pricier side but they do offer a full range of products to detail your car from top to bottom, inside and out:

Their wash bucket is really handy:
      chris@swedespeed.com
      2006 V70R | 6MT | Electric Silver/Atacama | 3rd row | 18" Pegs | Kenwood DNX690HD with steering wheel controls
      2012 XC90 R-Design | NAV | RSE | 20" Cratus | Curt hitch

Quote Originally Posted by njdriver View Post
      1. Cleaning the wheels
      I was wondering whether standard wheel (rim) cleaner (spray bottle) is safe for the finish of the 2012 R-Design's rims considering they are not chrome but are painted / sprayed with the grey color?

2. Wax
      I am looking for a reasonably long-lasting (does not need to be the best) car wax that is easy to apply and remove (no haze to scrub off which potentially can harm the finish and takes too long to remove as well).
      I know there is Optimum Car 'Wax' spray, which left streaking on my prior car (black C70), but I assume there is a compromise between that and a thick(er) (longer-lasting) wax that leaves a messy white haze that is harder to remove and that, I suspect, could cause swirl marks.

Open to all recommendations, thanks in advance!

3. Is an automatic car wash for new 2012 S60 R-D?
      The owner's manual notes not to go through an automatic car wash the first few months since the "paint won't have hardened enough".
      I assume this only applies to cars fresh off the assembly line. In other words I assume a new off the lot 2012, which was manufactured a lot more than a few months ago, can go through an automatic car wash right now?

If you are worried about about swirls never take your car to an auto wash / or touchless since you will get swirls, especially if workers are drying your car off with their towels. I use Opti Seal (a sealant) which is just as easy to apply as Optimum Spray wax. And top off with a paste wax, Pete 53, which goes on like butter and is easy to remove, but with wax just avoid plastic trim. I use optimum spray wax as maintenance once in a while depending on temperature (not below 55) , and it is possible you took too long to wipe and therefore it dried/streaked since I do not experience streaking issues. Optimum Power Clean for wheels. I buy gallons from autogeek.net. A second recommendation for wheels is Mothers Wheel Cleaner
      Last edited by Con_The_Don; 01-15-2013 at 09:44 PM.
      2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD Black Sapphire Metallic; EST Downpipe, EST Exhaust, EST Air Intake, EST Aluminum Pedals & Footrest, RICA Stage II, OEM Body Kit, Glow Shift Elite Boost Gauge, Clarion MAX675VDII 7" Double Din w/ Navi HD, Alpine Amp PDX-F4, Continental DWS, 18" Zinik Rims, Akebono Euro Ceramic Pads, Bulb Replaced w/ LED's, DDM Slim HID 4500k, 3M Tints 35%, Blk Glossy License Frames, Volvo Logo Stem Caps, Aluminum Interior Trim

I may be old school but I have used Zymol on all my cars since my Ford Probe GT in high school and have always been very happy. I've tried others but not been as happy.
      ------
      2012 S60 T-6 R-Design [Ice White/Black, Climate, Multimedia, BLIS, PCC] (His)
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design (Hers)

A high-end autobody shop owner friend of mine turned me onto Wizard's Mist-N-Shine
      http://www.wizardsproducts.com/store...2-oz-p-11.html

More of a paint detailer - I just spray on and wipe off with a towel once a week (depending on how much it rains)

Should work on the painted wheels as well - once they are washed/cleaned

I use paint sealer - Ultima Paint Guard Plus. You can do the whole car in 10 minutes. You wipe it on and leave it on - no wiping off. Looks like water. Road salt does not effect it. It lasts about a year. The only downside is it has no cleaner in it. The car must be clean when applied.