Volvo S60 Transmission Problems Continued / Disgusted with Volvo
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 83
    1. #1

      Angry Volvo S60 Transmission Problems Continued

      This is my first post; however, I have been viewed this forum for quite some time. I must say that I am pretty disgusted with the transmissions issues and the lack of repair I am experiencing with my S60. This is my third Volvo and more than likely my last.

      I have a 2012 Volvo S60 T5 Red. The car was purchased in May of 2011 and currently has 55,000 miles (I drive constantly for work). Approximately one month ago, I began experiencing transmission delays, hesitations, and extremely rough downshifts. When stopping, my RPMs will surge and I will get a slight burst of acceleration. I have had several passengers notice the "kick."

      I brought the car to Volvo of Memphis last Thursday, September 6. I drove 1.5 hours to get there and waited 4 hours until the 52,500 mile scheduled maintainence / TCM Software Update to be performed on the vehicle. They told me the update was applied and the transmission was fine. Upon driving the vehicle, I noticed that nothing was different about the harsh transmission behavior. I took the car back and the service manager said he forget to tell me that the problem will correct itself in 2-3 days due to the adaptive nature of the transmission. It has been 10-days since the TCM and the transmission is still stalling, hesitating, delaying in acceleration, and downshifting abruptly. I am calling the service manager tomorrow and discussing the issue with him. I am sure I will have to take another full day off of work and drive 80 miles to wait 4-6 hours and then drive 80-miles home for what? the same results. I will complete the e-mail survey and discuss the issue with VCNA. I only have 5,000 miles left on the warranty and I need the issue fixed.

      I previously owned a 2004 Volvo XC90. I had it for two years and then noticed the exact same transmission behavior that I am experiencing now. I took it in the Bergeron Volvo of New Orleans. A service advisor told me that it just needed a new TCM upgrade and it would be fine. The update was applied. The XC still exhibited odd patterns of shifting but the service advisor assured me this was "normal." Two weeks later I was stranded on a highway 50-miles away from home with a completely broken transmission. The entire transmission needed to be replaced ($6,000) so I just traded the car in for a S40. I owned a S40 that was problem free until I traded it in for this S60.

      All other issues I have had with this car are minor except the transmission.

      2012 Volvo S60 Issues Thus Far: 55,000 miles currently on vehicle

      1.) Sunroof Leaks Inside Vehicle During Car Wash (Attempted Repair 3 x with no solutions) - Finally Gave Up
      2.) Front Rotors and Pads Replaced at 35,000 miles
      3.) AC Compressor is very loud and makes a churning noise (Not Reported)
      4.) Major Transmission Issues (TCM Update Performed to no avail)

      I am throwing in the towel on Volvos. I am 27-years old and I am confident I will never again purchase a Volvo. The funny thing is that I have asked around and transmission problems are very rare. My father and mother (Both in their late 50s have never had transmission problems). I have owned 3-Volvos (Two purchased New) in ten years and have experienced transmission issues with TWO! Ask around and see how many people you know who have had multiple vehicles with transmission problems. Volvos simply lack quality.



      2004 Volvo XC90 T6 Black (Transmission Failed at 65,000 miles)
      2008 Volvo S40 Black
      2012 Volvo S60 T5 Red (Transmission Issues Continued and Unresolved)
      Future: No Volvos
      Last edited by tennvolvo23; 09-16-2012 at 11:20 PM.

    2. #2
      Member Wayne T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      Chagrin Falls, OH
      Posts
      4,747
      Sorry for your troubles. The XC90 T6 was known to have a weak transmission so I'm not totally surprised by that. You may want to take your car to a different dealer if the problem is still uncorrected and elevate to a regional service advisor (or whatever the title is). Sometimes it's good to take a break with a brand of cars to see what else is out there - you may be happier with another make.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5
      Present: '13 MX5 Club Sport, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70RGT

    3. #3
      Junior Member baggerben's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      Location
      pa
      Posts
      286
      mine still has a harsh down shift too. i also had the tcm flash done,no help.
      2006 Volvo xc90 t5-awd
      2012 Volvo s60 r-design-for sale..
      2009 Volco c30 r-design
      2009 Crown Vic Police Interceptor-sold (
      Grand moms old 2000 Camry-sold

    4. #4
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Toronto, Canada
      Posts
      1,685
      I had my TCM flash done and it's a lot better than before. Still the occasional rough shifting, but otherwise a lot smoother than before. I got the sunroof leaks and yea, just give up. Volvo doesn't care. First year lemon cars imo.

      Since you guys got the lemon laws, use it.
      2000 Volvo S70 SE; First Owner; 310k km

      2012A Volvo S60 T5 Level II; GONE!

    5. #5
      I have an S40 and it has been problem free for 80k miles...good luck with your S60...Volvo For Life
      2007 S40 2.4i...M

    6. #6
      Member Adrian-C30R's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2012
      Location
      Bellflower, California
      Posts
      1,580
      As far as the XC90 T6 AWD killing its transmission I'm sadly not surprised by this (why Volvo chose a 4 speed from Government Motors I have NO idea). As far as the new issues with the transmission I am at a loss for words, and the only lame excuse I have to say is that it was a 1st model year car. I've had my 1999 V70 XC (supposedly one of the more problematic models) without anything going out other than a fuel sensor. Though, if you will for sure get rid of your S60 I will give you the advice to stay completely away from VW or Audi (they're the reason I've owned nothing but Volvos after those cars...) as they are a constant nightmare of problems from any year any model from either brand. According to JD Power & IntelliChoice BMW is slightly above average for reliability and Volvo is the most reliable european auto maker with MErcedes Benz coming in at 2nd place. Undoubtedly the most reliable of luxury brands is either a Lexus or Acura (as far as overall Lexus is 1st, Acura 2nd, Infiniti 6th, Volvo 10th, Mercedes 11th, BMW 23rd, VW 59th, Audi 62nd...) Hope everything works out in the end for you!
      NEW! 2007 S40 T5 White
      Previous: 1989 740 Turbo, 1995 960, 1999 V70 XC AWD

    7. #7
      Junior Member volvobuff's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2007
      Location
      SE MA
      Posts
      949
      Quote Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
      I had my TCM flash done and it's a lot better than before. Still the occasional rough shifting, but otherwise a lot smoother than before. I got the sunroof leaks and yea, just give up. Volvo doesn't care. First year lemon cars imo.

      Since you guys got the lemon laws, use it.
      +1. The TCM software upgrade resolved about 90% of the rough shifting problem on my S60. I can live with the occasional slight thump.

      Geo, there is a new recall #253 in the States on AC problem caused by mis-adjustment of the thermal expansion valve. If your AC is still acting up, you might want to check into it.
      Current: 2015.5 V60 Drive-E T5 FWD, Power Blue/Off-Black, Platinum, BLIS, Front Seat Heat
      Current: 2012 XC70 T6 AWD, Twilight Bronze/Espresso/Beige, Platinum, Climate, Tech, Xenon, BLIS
      Past: 2012 S60 T5, Savile Grey; 2010 V70 3.2, Seashell; 2008 S40 T5, Orinoco Blue; 2007 V50 T5, Barents Blue

    8. #8
      Quote Originally Posted by tennvolvo23 View Post
      This is my first post; however, I have been viewed this forum for quite some time. I must say that I am pretty disgusted with the transmissions issues and the lack of repair I am experiencing with my S60. This is my third Volvo and more than likely my last.

      I have a 2012 Volvo S60 T5 Red. The car was purchased in May of 2011 and currently has 55,000 miles (I drive constantly for work). Approximately one month ago, I began experiencing transmission delays, hesitations, and extremely rough downshifts. When stopping, my RPMs will surge and I will get a slight burst of acceleration. I have had several passengers notice the "kick."

      I brought the car to Volvo of Memphis last Thursday, September 6. I drove 1.5 hours to get there and waited 4 hours until the 52,500 mile scheduled maintainence / TCM Software Update to be performed on the vehicle. They told me the update was applied and the transmission was fine. Upon driving the vehicle, I noticed that nothing was different about the harsh transmission behavior. I took the car back and the service manager said he forget to tell me that the problem will correct itself in 2-3 days due to the adaptive nature of the transmission. It has been 10-days since the TCM and the transmission is still stalling, hesitating, delaying in acceleration, and downshifting abruptly. I am calling the service manager tomorrow and discussing the issue with him. I am sure I will have to take another full day off of work and drive 80 miles to wait 4-6 hours and then drive 80-miles home for what? the same results. I will complete the e-mail survey and discuss the issue with VCNA. I only have 5,000 miles left on the warranty and I need the issue fixed.

      I previously owned a 2004 Volvo XC90. I had it for two years and then noticed the exact same transmission behavior that I am experiencing now. I took it in the Bergeron Volvo of New Orleans. A service advisor told me that it just needed a new TCM upgrade and it would be fine. The update was applied. The XC still exhibited odd patterns of shifting but the service advisor assured me this was "normal." Two weeks later I was stranded on a highway 50-miles away from home with a completely broken transmission. The entire transmission needed to be replaced ($6,000) so I just traded the car in for a S40. I owned a S40 that was problem free until I traded it in for this S60.

      All other issues I have had with this car are minor except the transmission.

      2012 Volvo S60 Issues Thus Far: 55,000 miles currently on vehicle

      1.) Sunroof Leaks Inside Vehicle During Car Wash (Attempted Repair 3 x with no solutions) - Finally Gave Up
      2.) Front Rotors and Pads Replaced at 35,000 miles
      3.) AC Compressor is very loud and makes a churning noise (Not Reported)
      4.) Major Transmission Issues (TCM Update Performed to no avail)

      I am throwing in the towel on Volvos. I am 27-years old and I am confident I will never again purchase a Volvo. The funny thing is that I have asked around and transmission problems are very rare. My father and mother (Both in their late 50s have never had transmission problems). I have owned 3-Volvos (Two purchased New) in ten years and have experienced transmission issues with TWO! Ask around and see how many people you know who have had multiple vehicles with transmission problems. Volvos simply lack quality.

      2004 Volvo XC90 T6 Black (Transmission Failed at 65,000 miles)
      2008 Volvo S40 Black
      2012 Volvo S60 T5 Red (Transmission Issues Continued and Unresolved)
      Future: No Volvos
      A few thoughts:

      1. As long as you REPORT a problem before your warranty runs out, if the eventual resolution involves a part that was under warranty when you REPORT the problem, then you won't have to pay for the resolution even if the warranty has expired by the time the dealer finally fixes it.
      2. I'd suggest that you ask the dealer for a loaner while they work on your car. This is very common for cars purchased at the dealer and/or under warranty. I used to live 1.5 hours from my dealer and I'd bring my car up first thing in the morning one day and pick it up on a later day so I didn't have to miss any work.
      3. Don't GIVE UP. As long as the dealer can reproduce the problem while they have the car, they should be obligated to fix it. This applies to #1, #3, and #4 in your list. #2 is a wear item, depends on your driving style.
      4. If they dealer claims they can't reproduce something, ask to take the service manager or lead tech for a drive and reproduce the problem yourself with them in the passenger seat.
      5. Could there be something odd about your driving style that kills transmissions?
      2002 Volvo S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust - 2:05 at BIR long course || 2006 Volvo S60R 6M Sonic Blue (RIP - saved my life) - 2:03.5 at BIR long course - 2:00 at BIR short course - Road Trip Pics - My HD Trackday Videos - Loud enough for ya? || 2007 Volvo S80 V8 (his), Barents Blue, 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 Volvo XC70 T6 (hers), Oyster Grey, 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar

    9. #9
      Junior Member seaton463's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2009
      Location
      MA
      Posts
      414
      Quote Originally Posted by Warpedcow View Post
      A few thoughts:

      1. As long as you REPORT a problem before your warranty runs out, if the eventual resolution involves a part that was under warranty when you REPORT the problem, then you won't have to pay for the resolution even if the warranty has expired by the time the dealer finally fixes it.
      2. I'd suggest that you ask the dealer for a loaner while they work on your car. This is very common for cars purchased at the dealer and/or under warranty. I used to live 1.5 hours from my dealer and I'd bring my car up first thing in the morning one day and pick it up on a later day so I didn't have to miss any work.
      3. Don't GIVE UP. As long as the dealer can reproduce the problem while they have the car, they should be obligated to fix it. This applies to #1, #3, and #4 in your list. #2 is a wear item, depends on your driving style.
      4. If they dealer claims they can't reproduce something, ask to take the service manager or lead tech for a drive and reproduce the problem yourself with them in the passenger seat.
      5. Could there be something odd about your driving style that kills transmissions?
      +1. I would also highly recommend contacting VCNA if you are having problems getting specific issues resolved.
      2011 S60 T6 AWD - Ember Black, Off Black, Climate, Premium, Technology and Multimedia packages, PCC, Polestar, Sport Pedals, Load Bars/Bike Racks, Cargo Mat/Nets, R-Design Rear Diffuser, Strut Tower Brace, Springs and shocks, IPD Rear Swaybar, 50% Tint, LED Conversion
      2006 V50 T5 AWD - Barrent's Blue, Black Interior, Premium and Climate packages, IPD Skidplate, IPD HD Endlinks, Viva Rear Swaybar, EST Strut Tower Brace, LED Conversion

    10. #10
      Member matt1122's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2012
      Location
      New Jersey
      Posts
      3,363
      I feel your pain. I had serious transmission issues with my 2001 XC70 which required me and my car to spend a lot of time at the dealership. Unfortunately, I have to confess I'm too concerned with crash safety to buy anything else. Sorry you're having so many issues with the S60. On the bright side, at least this problem is less common as years go by.

    11. #11
      Junior Member blueandsilver's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2010
      Location
      Mexico
      Posts
      172
      Well, I´ve had 5 Volvos now including the new V60. They are not perfect, indeed, such thing doesn´t exist, not even Toyotas, but they have all been great cars provided you take care of them. I find it funny when people just sign in a forum just to complain about their problems in their cars, when truth is, many times its how you drive your car that ends up breaking up things.

      The vast majority of people in this forum have cars with no issues or only minor things, so perhaps you had bad luck, or its your driving style.
      Current Volvo: 2013 V60 T5 (2.0 Liter Ecoboost with Powershift Transmission) Saville Grey
      Other "Stable Mates": 2003 Ford Mustang GT, 1981 Ford Mustang Fastback
      Previous Volvos: 2006 Volvo V50 T5, 2001 Volvo V40 T4, 2001 Volvo V40 2.0T, 2001 Volvo S40 T4 (died in an accident)

    12. #12
      Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Location
      Arlington, VA
      Posts
      1,033
      Quote Originally Posted by blueandsilver View Post
      The vast majority of people in this forum have cars with no issues or only minor things, so perhaps you had bad luck, or its your driving style.
      Actually, 3 of the 4 items that he complained about others here have also complained about. I only have the quirky shifting issue but by no means am I disgusted by it. Every automatic that I've driven has a bit of quirkiness even the coveted DSGs. I just acknowledge the deficiency and move on. If it starts to interfere with drivability then you should pursue a solution with VCNA.

      I've had my Volvo (my first) for about a year and half now (20,000 miles) and I'm very happy so far. Only issues are software updates to Sensus (software is an area Volvo does need to work on). It is a bit more quirky than other manufacturers but it meets all my requirements better than the competition so for me it's Volvo for now
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, Rear Spoiler

    13. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      Location
      Burnet, TX.
      Posts
      140
      I have 25K plus on my car and it has been basically trouble free. I had a few occasions of the clunky downshifts, but since my last service at 22K miles it seems to have dissapeared, so I guess the dealer worked his software magic and took care of it. We just returned from a 3800 mile trouble free trip averaging 30+ mpg on the road. This is our second Volvo to own since 2009, and I couldn't be happier.

      Sorry to hear about your problems and good luck with your future car owning experience.
      Present: 2012 S60 T5. Flamenco Red/Off-Black, Premium, climate, technology, multi-media, Blis, PCC, front camera
      Past: 2009 C70, vanilla pearl metallic, cacao sovereign, climate, premium, bliss, bi-xenon,Nordic oak, portable navigation.

    14. #14
      I think what I am disgusted about is my experience with Volvo Transmissions.

      In 2006, I purchased a 2004 Volvo XC90 T6 that lasted two years until the transmission completely malfunctioned. It cost me $6,000 on my trade in.

      I purchased a 2008 Volvo S40 and it was fine with no major problems.

      I then purchased a 2012 Volvo S60 T5 and I am experiencing transmission issues again that were not resolved with the "patch."

      I guess 33% is pretty lucky. I can assume based on prior experience that 1 out 3 Volvos that I purchased might not have transmission issues.

      As far as it being related to my driving style, THAT IS GARBAGE. I drive normal and accelerate in a stable manner. I have owned two Jeep Grand Cherokees and a mustang with absolutely NO problems.

      For those who continue to suggest that the transmission issues are related to my driving style, continue to bury your head in the sand and "hope for the best"

    15. #15
      Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Location
      Arlington, VA
      Posts
      1,033
      I think those driving style comments were aimed more toward your brakes than the transmission. While I certainly understand your worries given your past experience with the XC90 but do keep in mind other manufacturers have had major problem with transmissions as well. The Ford Taurus, Honda minivans, and VW DSG for few years were all causes of major headaches. Of coarse that doesn't excuse the problem. I have not read anything here about transmission failures with the S60 and I believe this transmission is made by a reputable company and used in other vehicles. I have only experienced occasional rough downshifts that really do not concern me but if your transmission is acting worse you should press the issue. Maybe take it to a transmission specialist to get a second opinion. At least you could gain some ammunition to fire at VCNA.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, Rear Spoiler

    16. #16
      Moderator
      Join Date
      Feb 2007
      Location
      Washington, DC
      Posts
      7,270
      You bought a 2004 XC90 in 2006, and 2 years later, the transmission crapped out. That should have been covered by warranty. (4/50 std or 6/100 CPO).

      I think you need to find a different dealer.
      2001 Mercedes Benz ML55 AMG Black Opal/Anthracite
      1998 Volvo S90 Emerald/Beige - FOR SALE
      1993 Cadillac Allante Pearl White/Maroon - 22k original miles

    17. #17
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2011
      Location
      Whitefield, New Hampshire
      Posts
      456
      Driving style should have no effect on transmission reliability. This isn't a manual where you can burn out a clutch by riding it too often. I think the OP has just had some really bad luck ... and not been helped out by his dealers' service departments.

      Volvo does, in fact, have a pretty solid overall repair record and is well rated in Consumer Reports' surveys. Although there have been some issues, as with any car, they are not particularly common. As others have suggested here, I think a trip to another dealer or a complaint to Volvo directly might be the way to go. I personally would not tolerate this type of poor service from any car dealer.
      Stan
      In the White Mountains of northern New Hampshire
      2012 Volvo S60 R-Design; Passion Red, Climate and BLIS
      2013 Porsche Boxster S (981 S), Platinum Silver, 6 speed manual, 20" Carrera S wheels

    18. #18
      Member matt1122's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2012
      Location
      New Jersey
      Posts
      3,363
      Quote Originally Posted by saholz View Post
      Driving style should have no effect on transmission reliability.
      If you are hard on the transmission, it will heat up and die young. Automatic transmissions tend to especially build heat in stop and go traffic, mountainous terrain, and when towing. Aggressive driving can also have this effect. The transmission in my 2001 V70 didn't start to have a fit until I beat the hell out of it in manual mode when I was bored. These things are not indestructible, and the way you drive and the situations you put them in will have a significant effect on their lifespan. But I'm not saying OP's driving style is to blame - some are just defective, and some people do just have bad luck.

    19. #19
      Member Adrian-C30R's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2012
      Location
      Bellflower, California
      Posts
      1,580
      Quote Originally Posted by tennvolvo23 View Post
      I think what I am disgusted about is my experience with Volvo Transmissions.

      In 2006, I purchased a 2004 Volvo XC90 T6 that lasted two years until the transmission completely malfunctioned. It cost me $6,000 on my trade in.

      I purchased a 2008 Volvo S40 and it was fine with no major problems.

      I then purchased a 2012 Volvo S60 T5 and I am experiencing transmission issues again that were not resolved with the "patch."

      I guess 33% is pretty lucky. I can assume based on prior experience that 1 out 3 Volvos that I purchased might not have transmission issues.

      As far as it being related to my driving style, THAT IS GARBAGE. I drive normal and accelerate in a stable manner. I have owned two Jeep Grand Cherokees and a mustang with absolutely NO problems.

      For those who continue to suggest that the transmission issues are related to my driving style, continue to bury your head in the sand and "hope for the best"
      Well, yes the transmission in the XC90 T6 was bound to break (it was taken from a Cadillac... Why, I have no idea). But as far as the transmission driving style it could (though not stating it's common or your fault) be a cause because none of those other cars had adaptive transmissions which "learned" your driving style. As far as Volvo's transmission reliability it's an extremely common problem on the XC90 T6 and almost unheard of in the S40 and S60. Sorry.
      NEW! 2007 S40 T5 White
      Previous: 1989 740 Turbo, 1995 960, 1999 V70 XC AWD

    20. #20
      Owners of older Volvos are used to being able to put 250K-300K miles easy on Rear Wheel Drive Volvos without transmission issues, I've never had to replace/rebuild a transmission on a RWD Volvo. My first FWD Volvo transmission failed (1998 C70). I personally would recommend changing the transmission fluid at least every 2 years/30K miles especially if you aren't using a fully synthetic transmission fluid. I rack up at least 20K miles a year on my Volvos and ever since my first FWD Volvo experience I have learned to keep the transmission fluid fresh. Unfortunately it seems the newer the Volvo model the harder it is to renew the transmission fluid.

      I've drained and refilled the automatic transmission fluid in my 2005 S60R 3X over the past year (3.5 quarts to 3.75 quarts per) with Mobil 3309 but plan on doing a complete flush and refill with Redline Synthetic D4 before the year is out.
      I think the compactness of the newer FWD Volvos transmissions and high torque of the powerful turbocharged engine make them experience more heat related wear. I would imagine the greater surface area of transmission cases in older RWD Volvos and their positioning allowed for them to be cooled better by air flow.

    21. #21
      Thanks so far for the suggestions and help. I now understand that the S60 is not prone to a faulty transmission like the 2004 XC90.

      I have driven another 600 miles on the transmission since Sunday. (So far around 1,500 - 2,000 miles since the TCM update). It seems to be functioning more smoothly. I still get occasional rough downshifts and I get consistent RPM bursts upon slowing down; however, the abrupt "kicks" have faded significantly. I think that 1,500-2,000 miles might the be magic numbers of the adaptive rework of the transmission. The roughest was over the weekend at about 750-1000 miles post TCM update; I was in a hilly region and on almost every hill, I would get a hard "kick."

      I have spoken with the service manager at Volvo of Memphis and he seems to be on top of the issue. He told me that he spoke with a tech and confirmed that it is probably the adaptive control taking time to readjust. I also received an e-mail from Volvo Cars of North America inquiring about the issue; that is promising that they are interested in customer retention.

      I am hopeful and optimistic that this situation will resolve itself.

      Pertaining to my frustration, I think you must understand that having been through a faulty transmission once with my XC90, one can only have a conditioned response upon experiencing similar transmission behaviors from the new S60 at the nearly the same mileage interval. I lost a great deal of money because of XC90's transmission. You must also understand that upon experiencing the "jerks, slips, and kicks" of the XC90, I brought the vehicle to Bergeron Volvo in New Orleans. A service rep performed the TCM and told me that "everything was fine." I later found myself stranded with a transmission that needed to be rebuilt. Therefore, you can say anything you want but after having this experience, anyone will be frustrated at experiencing the same situation with no immediate resolution. It was like history repeating itself.

      I love Volvos and that is why I have purchased three back-to back (2 New, 1 Used at 30,000 miles); however, initially after this latest experience, one would be a fool to not re-examine his choices in car buying. I will see how this situation will resolve itself. I am really hoping that the transmission will "adapt and fix itself" as it seems to improving daily.

      For those of you who have not had the TCM, give it time to unfold. I waited 9-10 days where it seemed more jerky and unresponsive, and then I experienced a slow, gradual improvement. Hoping for more.

    22. #22
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Toronto, Canada
      Posts
      1,685
      What about the sunroof leaks? Did they get back at you on that? All I get from Volvo Cars of Canada and from the dealers are they it's within specifications.
      2000 Volvo S70 SE; First Owner; 310k km

      2012A Volvo S60 T5 Level II; GONE!

    23. #23
      Wow, I thought I was the only one with a transmission problem with my 2012 s60. I bought it new in march 2013. Within the month, it was in the shop for it not shifting correctly. Went to pick it up ( the dealer is two hours from our house), was on expressway, and it was not right. Couldn't go back, they were already closed. Called the next day to report it, they said to bring it back in. This time the service guy made a mistake about telling us the mechanic could tell something was wrong but the machines he hooked it up to, was telling him otherwise. I insisted they put in a new transmission. They said they had to get in touch with volvo in Sweden to approve. Low and behold they approved and i had a rental car for 4 weeks until they got it done.
      Went to pick up with new transmission, it is STILL the same way. I am beyond fed up with this volvo. Not sure if a new one got put in. Not sure what to do now.
      Previously, we owned a 2008 s40 and loved it, but needed a little more room. Regretting my decision.

    24. #24
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Toronto, Canada
      Posts
      1,685
      If it's new, it needs a hundred kilometres or so to "get broken in." Give it a week. If it still doesn't work, then get rid of the car.

      Sent from my Optimus G using Tapatalk 4 Beta
      2000 Volvo S70 SE; First Owner; 310k km

      2012A Volvo S60 T5 Level II; GONE!

    25. #25
      Senior Member JRL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2003
      Location
      Devon PA
      Posts
      54,989
      I realize I saw this a year or so too late.

      First of all Volvo WILL give you a free tranny on an XC90 T6
      They know it was a poor design and have replaced more than one on many of these (incl one I bought with 118K and a blown tranny)
      A new tranny, cooler lines and radiator cost me all of 500 bucks!

      As for adaptions, if it doesn't adapt within 500 miles, it won't...ever!

      No one in the state on TN should own a newer Volvo, there is not A SINGLE DEALER in the entire state that has a clue how to fix an odd issue
      Last edited by JRL; 08-10-2013 at 10:14 PM.
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2006 XC70 White/Black 62K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now 123K miles and still perfect
      1994 Lincoln Continental. Showroom condition, LOW miles

    26. #26
      Junior Member Ride S40T's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2006
      Location
      OK
      Posts
      532
      Quote Originally Posted by Life is good View Post
      Wow, I thought I was the only one with a transmission problem with my 2012 s60. I bought it new in march 2013. Within the month, it was in the shop for it not shifting correctly. Went to pick it up ( the dealer is two hours from our house), was on expressway, and it was not right. Couldn't go back, they were already closed. Called the next day to report it, they said to bring it back in. This time the service guy made a mistake about telling us the mechanic could tell something was wrong but the machines he hooked it up to, was telling him otherwise. I insisted they put in a new transmission. They said they had to get in touch with volvo in Sweden to approve. Low and behold they approved and i had a rental car for 4 weeks until they got it done.
      Went to pick up with new transmission, it is STILL the same way. I am beyond fed up with this volvo. Not sure if a new one got put in. Not sure what to do now.
      Previously, we owned a 2008 s40 and loved it, but needed a little more room. Regretting my decision.
      Welcome to our nightmare. Maybe not that bad but it is frustrating.

      We've had flashes upon flashes followed by "cannot replicate". In multiple visits to the dealership, I've told them that it's tough for them because they (the dealership) are up against poor mechanical engineering with crappy trans mapping. Not much they can do with that.

      The T5 motor in both cars is one sweet power plant and my S40 (as you've stated) is a mechanical gem - that trans was made in GERMANY, not JAPAN and is never late to the party when it comes to shifting. Roll-on torque is awesome, great MPG even at 90,000mi. New trans is sloppy garbage. Prove me (all of us) wrong Volvo, techs, dealers....anyone.
      2015 S60 T6-RD / Passion Red / Nubuck Leather / Nav / Premium Audio / Front & Rear Park Assist / Rear Cam / ABL /eBLIS (Me)
      2005 S40 T5 / Passion Red / Black Leather / Dynamic Sport / Geartronic / Premium Audio w/Sub / Sculptors / IPD stuff (Lucky Son)
      Drive Like You Mean It

    27. #27
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Toronto, Canada
      Posts
      1,685
      Quote Originally Posted by Ride S40T View Post
      We've had flashes upon flashes followed by "cannot replicate". In multiple visits to the dealership, I've told them that it's tough for them because they (the dealership) are up against poor mechanical engineering with crappy trans mapping. Not much they can do with that.

      The T5 motor in both cars is one sweet power plant and my S40 (as you've stated) is a mechanical gem - that trans was made in GERMANY, not JAPAN and is never late to the party when it comes to shifting. Roll-on torque is awesome, great MPG even at 90,000mi. New trans is sloppy garbage. Prove me (all of us) wrong Volvo, techs, dealers....anyone.
      We can't be the only one with problems with the transmission, can we? The AWTF-80SC is used in a lot of vehicles for a number of years. Surely it's a software thing right? I'd understand these problems if it was a completely new design and just started to be in use like ZF's 8 speed auto, which is apparently amazing and not crap.

      You made it sound like the transmission is crap because it's made in Japan..
      2000 Volvo S70 SE; First Owner; 310k km

      2012A Volvo S60 T5 Level II; GONE!

    28. #28
      Junior Member Ride S40T's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2006
      Location
      OK
      Posts
      532
      Quote Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
      We can't be the only one with problems with the transmission, can we? The AWTF-80SC is used in a lot of vehicles for a number of years. Surely it's a software thing right? I'd understand these problems if it was a completely new design and just started to be in use like ZF's 8 speed auto, which is apparently amazing and not crap.

      You made it sound like the transmission is crap because it's made in Japan..
      Very good points. And yes, I've not had the best luck with trans' made in Japan - to include the Toyota 4Runner we own. But you're right, it's not a blanket statement about trans' from Japan as it is a positive endorsement of our stuff when it was made in Germany (T5 FWD).

      And I'm sure, like there are people in the world - so are the experiences folks have had with any product made on a give continent.
      2015 S60 T6-RD / Passion Red / Nubuck Leather / Nav / Premium Audio / Front & Rear Park Assist / Rear Cam / ABL /eBLIS (Me)
      2005 S40 T5 / Passion Red / Black Leather / Dynamic Sport / Geartronic / Premium Audio w/Sub / Sculptors / IPD stuff (Lucky Son)
      Drive Like You Mean It

    29. #29
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2013
      Location
      Sweden
      Posts
      118
      Quote Originally Posted by Ride S40T View Post
      Welcome to our nightmare. Maybe not that bad but it is frustrating.

      We've had flashes upon flashes followed by "cannot replicate". In multiple visits to the dealership, I've told them that it's tough for them because they (the dealership) are up against poor mechanical engineering with crappy trans mapping. Not much they can do with that.

      The T5 motor in both cars is one sweet power plant and my S40 (as you've stated) is a mechanical gem - that trans was made in GERMANY, not JAPAN and is never late to the party when it comes to shifting. Roll-on torque is awesome, great MPG even at 90,000mi. New trans is sloppy garbage. Prove me (all of us) wrong Volvo, techs, dealers....anyone.


      Just some comments, here in sweden all the Taxi:s have been S80, V70 with D5 auto gearbox, and these run 500.000KM with only the standard services. same with the Police they uses the V70 /XC70 FWD or AWD depending on location now most of them running D5 but there have been 2.5FT, 2.5T and T6 all auto gearbox and they running easy 500.000KM with very aggressive drivning, havn´t heard any of them have gearbox problems.
      About 1 year ago alot of the taxi companies changed to Passats and the DSG gearbox and as soon as you talk to the taxi drivers more or less all of them changed the gearbox 2-3 times in 1year this car is no longer sold as a taxi due to the crappy gearbox.

      Personally i would say they s40 is a ford alot lower quality then the V70 witch for me is the "volvo".
      Last edited by Snowie; 08-10-2013 at 11:03 PM.
      Volvo V40 D4 R-Design -14 http://www.garaget.org/?car=332080
      BMW 320d Touring Exclusive Edition -12
      Volvo S60 2.4 business -05

    30. #30
      Junior Member Ride S40T's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2006
      Location
      OK
      Posts
      532
      Quote Originally Posted by Snowie View Post
      Just some comments, here in sweden all the Taxi:s have been S80, V70 with D5 auto gearbox, and these run 500.000KM with only the standard services. same with the Police they uses the V70 /XC70 AWD D5 auto and they running easy 500.000KM with very aggressive drivning, havn´t heard any of them have gearbox problems. About 1 year ago alot of the taxi companies changed to Passats and the DSG gearbox and as soon as you talk to the taxi drivers more or less all of them changed the gearbox 2-3 times in 1year this car is no longer sold as a taxi due to the crappy gearbox.

      Personally i would say they s40 is a ford alot lower quality then the V70 witch for me is the "volvo".
      Not sure what the D5 gearbox is...same as ours in the US models?

      Either way, my trans may run for many many miles without any breaks but what I take issue with is driveability. If I were a cab driver, don't think I'd really care about how the car shifts as long as it didn't break and if it continued to run and cost me less $$, then yes I'd love it too even if I didn't like the way it shifts - which is what we're talking about here (I am anyway).
      2015 S60 T6-RD / Passion Red / Nubuck Leather / Nav / Premium Audio / Front & Rear Park Assist / Rear Cam / ABL /eBLIS (Me)
      2005 S40 T5 / Passion Red / Black Leather / Dynamic Sport / Geartronic / Premium Audio w/Sub / Sculptors / IPD stuff (Lucky Son)
      Drive Like You Mean It

    31. #31
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2013
      Location
      Sweden
      Posts
      118
      sorry for the confusion D5 is the biggest diesel engine.
      Not sure about if they not care as they need to sit in the car many hours per day. But sure they may not be as picky as a normal driver and main consern is to have car running and not loose $$.

      Hmm seams to be a 6 speed geartronic gearbox in D5 and T6 but a powershift gearbox in the T5.
      Last edited by Snowie; 08-10-2013 at 11:34 PM.
      Volvo V40 D4 R-Design -14 http://www.garaget.org/?car=332080
      BMW 320d Touring Exclusive Edition -12
      Volvo S60 2.4 business -05

    32. #32
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Toronto, Canada
      Posts
      1,685
      I doubt the D5 models use the same transmission. Diesels rev lower and have tons more torque, so the gear ratios are different already. I'm not a car guy like you enthusiasts who know a lot, but aren't gear ratios a hardware thing?
      2000 Volvo S70 SE; First Owner; 310k km

      2012A Volvo S60 T5 Level II; GONE!

    33. #33
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2013
      Location
      Sweden
      Posts
      118
      the D5 and T6 did have the same: AW TF-80SC AWD but the T5 got a MPS6-7 2WD
      Volvo V40 D4 R-Design -14 http://www.garaget.org/?car=332080
      BMW 320d Touring Exclusive Edition -12
      Volvo S60 2.4 business -05

    34. #34
      Member dhorvath's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Suburban Philadelphia PA
      Posts
      3,027
      It is interesting how some people have major problems. I wonder if there were some "Monday" lots of those transmissions.

      I just crossed 25K miles with mine in just a little over the year and really like how the transmission behaves. In sport mode there is a slight hunt if I ease off of throttle (3-4 or 4-5, not sure which) during spirited acceleration. I know it happens, it doesn't last longer than an instant, and the car keeps going. My car was manufactured 12/2011.
      Last edited by dhorvath; 08-12-2013 at 09:19 AM. Reason: 2011 manufacture, not 2012.
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

      3,000 miles in 6 countries over 21 days during OSD.

    35. #35
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2013
      Location
      Orlando Florida
      Posts
      375
      Quote Originally Posted by tennvolvo23 View Post
      This is my first post; however, I have been viewed this forum for quite some time. I must say that I am pretty disgusted with the transmissions issues and the lack of repair I am experiencing with my S60. This is my third Volvo and more than likely my last.

      I have a 2012 Volvo S60 T5 Red. The car was purchased in May of 2011 and currently has 55,000 miles (I drive constantly for work). Approximately one month ago, I began experiencing transmission delays, hesitations, and extremely rough downshifts. When stopping, my RPMs will surge and I will get a slight burst of acceleration. I have had several passengers notice the "kick."

      I brought the car to Volvo of Memphis last Thursday, September 6. I drove 1.5 hours to get there and waited 4 hours until the 52,500 mile scheduled maintainence / TCM Software Update to be performed on the vehicle. They told me the update was applied and the transmission was fine. Upon driving the vehicle, I noticed that nothing was different about the harsh transmission behavior. I took the car back and the service manager said he forget to tell me that the problem will correct itself in 2-3 days due to the adaptive nature of the transmission. It has been 10-days since the TCM and the transmission is still stalling, hesitating, delaying in acceleration, and downshifting abruptly. I am calling the service manager tomorrow and discussing the issue with him. I am sure I will have to take another full day off of work and drive 80 miles to wait 4-6 hours and then drive 80-miles home for what? the same results. I will complete the e-mail survey and discuss the issue with VCNA. I only have 5,000 miles left on the warranty and I need the issue fixed.

      I previously owned a 2004 Volvo XC90. I had it for two years and then noticed the exact same transmission behavior that I am experiencing now. I took it in the Bergeron Volvo of New Orleans. A service advisor told me that it just needed a new TCM upgrade and it would be fine. The update was applied. The XC still exhibited odd patterns of shifting but the service advisor assured me this was "normal." Two weeks later I was stranded on a highway 50-miles away from home with a completely broken transmission. The entire transmission needed to be replaced ($6,000) so I just traded the car in for a S40. I owned a S40 that was problem free until I traded it in for this S60.

      All other issues I have had with this car are minor except the transmission.

      2012 Volvo S60 Issues Thus Far: 55,000 miles currently on vehicle

      1.) Sunroof Leaks Inside Vehicle During Car Wash (Attempted Repair 3 x with no solutions) - Finally Gave Up
      2.) Front Rotors and Pads Replaced at 35,000 miles
      3.) AC Compressor is very loud and makes a churning noise (Not Reported)
      4.) Major Transmission Issues (TCM Update Performed to no avail)

      I am throwing in the towel on Volvos. I am 27-years old and I am confident I will never again purchase a Volvo. The funny thing is that I have asked around and transmission problems are very rare. My father and mother (Both in their late 50s have never had transmission problems). I have owned 3-Volvos (Two purchased New) in ten years and have experienced transmission issues with TWO! Ask around and see how many people you know who have had multiple vehicles with transmission problems. Volvos simply lack quality.



      2004 Volvo XC90 T6 Black (Transmission Failed at 65,000 miles)
      2008 Volvo S40 Black
      2012 Volvo S60 T5 Red (Transmission Issues Continued and Unresolved)
      Future: No Volvos
      This is why Car dealers FEAR buying used cars at auctions as Automatics. Good friend of mine runs a used car lot and calls them FAIL-O-MATICS. He claims that about 40% of the cars he buys at auction turn out to have a transmission problem. I run a shop and that is the #1 reason for people scrapping their cars. It's not VOLVO it's all cars with automatic transmissions. CVT's fail constantly on the Mini's and it's $6,000-$8,000 to replace them. I have customer cars on their 3rd CVT in under 100k miles. The XC90 T6's are FAMOUS for transmission failures. It's a FWD GM transmission in the car. It was to the point a few years ago when I would call the dealer for parts and say "hey I've got a 2004 XC90 T6 and I need a ...." they would cut me off and say "transmission". And it's only going to get worse, you add electronics and you add more gears to transmissions and they will fail more often. Can't wait to see these Dodge 8spds start failing. It use to be a joke on the chrysler Mini Van's that you'd buy an automatic like clockwork every 20k miles.
      You don't want transmission issues... buy a Manual. Otherwise it's a part of life on ALL CARS.

      My plan is to pick up a good extended warranty that specifically covers the Transmission with no deductible and just expect it one day.

      Now as far as your brakes wearing out at 35k..... Normal. Good brakes wear out... crappy brakes last forever. I had a 2007 Silverado that I used for towing. On long downhill's I could get massive brake fade on the vehicle. To the point where it was scary to try to stop at the bottom of the hill. I noted that Silverado owners were claiming 70-80k miles on the brakes before replacement.... I said to myself.... well that's why the suck. So at 10k miles I bought a set of HAWK HD pads. It fixed my stopping issues 100%. And the pads were worn out at 34k miles. I had it at the dealer for a warranty issue (rear main leaking) at 34k miles and all the techs in the dealer were wondering how my brakes were worn out at 34k miles. It's because I put GOOD pads on it that actually stop, I happily put another set of the Hawks on. Sure they dust like crazy and they squealed.... but I'll live with all that knowing I can tow down a big grade and not end up off in the woods at the bottom.
      Last edited by Mrsideways; 08-12-2013 at 10:41 AM.
      2005 XC90 V8 (20" Rockstars in silver) hers
      2006 Honda S2000 SCCA STU car with K24 swap
      2003 Mini Cooper S Rotrex swap 400hp
      2014 Rebel Blue S60 R Design

    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast