SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Tomedkaz: Build, How-to's and Photos thread timeline - updated as new things develop

97K views 358 replies 72 participants last post by  Hounddogger 
#1 · (Edited)
I took the time to combine some of my posts into this thread. From now on I will update it with anything that relates to my caR. Unfortunately I was unable to pull all of them since it would require me to go through all my posts one by one and I don't have a week to do it…so that's the best I can do..

Since this is an R forum, I will begin with what brought me first to the R community - which was the sale of my 2003 S40

Thread:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?98425-2003-S40-for-sale-unique!

2003 S40
58,000 miles
Asking: $9,000 FIRM with mods

For sale is my midnight blue 2003 Volvo S40 with approximately 58,000 miles on it. The car is fully loaded and comes with tan leather seats, winter package (heated front seats, headlight wipers), Premium Package (front and rear spoiler, sunroof, chrome handles and rear trunk-lid strip), six airbags and alarm. The car is in a great condition, only has a few highway rock chips. I took really good care of it: full synthetic oil changes every 3,000 miles and kept it extremely clean. This is not your typical S40; it has been slightly modified to mirror a European-model S40. It has been my daily driver for a few years with these modifications and I've had no problems, since most of them are OEM replacements from Europe, cosmetic and suspension. With the tune and my free-flowing intake and exhaust I get 24 MPG in the city and 34 MPG on the highway!

Asking Price: $9,000
Below is the breakdown of what has been done (I have receipts for most):

Upgraded Turbo: TD04-14T (from a European model S40; direct swap)
Upsolute tune
2.5 inch catback exhaust with OBX muffler
EuroSport Tuning Cold Air Intake (heatshield with a cone filter)
Aluminum Intercooler-Throttle-body pipe
IPD wires,
NGK Iridium plugs
Volvo front strut brace
VMS rear tie bars (rear strut brace)
17" SSW Trex wheels
Yokohama AVS-ES 100 tires (215/45/17) (about 7,000 miles on them)
K-Sport coilovers (36-way adjustable)
GlowShift tinted boost and AFR gauges
MBC @ 17 psi
LSE chrome dash rings,
OEM color-matched body kit
Custom PH1 skirts
LSE headlight bezels and dark corners
Eyebrows
Clear markers
5000K HID's
Tint + visor

I'll also throw in a new engine mount which I bought recently.

Tommy
Post here or email me

http://img232.imageshack.us/im...7.jpg

Modified by tomedkaz at 9:20 AM 9-4-2008

Modified by tomedkaz at 6:41 AM 10-14-2008

When I first got the R:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?113996-New-R-owner-here-(Queens-NY)

Hi guys,
I finally pulled the trigger on a 2004 R 6MT with 57,000 miles and extended warranty until the end of the year. I bought it from a serious older gentleman who babied the car a lot - I think I got lucky.
I'm a Volvo guy and used to own a pretty heavily modified S40 (some of you know me and have even met me in person during NYC and FL meets). I've got a few mods planned in the future.

Can you guys help me with the following:
OEM spark plugs part #
What K&N filter to buy? (I want a drop-in)
IS there a cheaper place than myswedishparts.com to buy the OEM body kit?
Aluminum pedals - where to buy and which ones are good? (ipd? heico?)

Anyways, enjoy the pics.

Photo of my old car

Now, the new car (car has an EST exhaust on)

First tune-up etc
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?114724-What-did-YOU-do-this-weekend

I spent this weekend doing a tune-up on my R and helped a buddy of mine change all of the engine mounts on his S40 - a very nice way to spend a weekend.

Having said that, I figured it's time for all my engine mounts to be replaced since I'm at 57K. I already have the IPD upper engine mount replaced and I will be ordering the IPD transmission mount bushing replacement. Other than that, what are the remaining mounts' part numbers and how many mounts do we have in our engines? I looked it up on ipd's website as well as myswedishparts.com but none of them list particular ones for the R. Could you guys help me identify the remaining mounts that need to be replaced? Thanks.

Btw, someone managed to snap a few photos of work in progress....

Modified by tomedkaz at 6:46 AM 3-9-2009

See less See more
#36 ·
I have to agree with myself on this one. I have yet to meet a person who doesn't like the pegs. Volvo did a great job finding the exact right wheels for the right car. You really cannot say that about many cars on the road (maybe 5%) and I think that should be commended.

I just feel the wheels you chose don't look natural on the car. I can't explain what I don't like about them because I don't know but it's just my gut feeling that disagrees with them. With that said, the ONLY thing that matters is that you think they are BA and that is honestly the most important thing. I know when I do mods I am not trying to impress anyone but myself, you are your own customer of the work you do.

#37 · (Edited)
Exactly
Honestly I like the pegs too but I wanted to do something different. I wasn't going to repaint the pegs some color just to make them "unique"...

I was then presented with an amazing deal for a set of custom-drilled rims which look great - when you see them in person the angles of those wheels just flow with the car - they're very 3-dimentional. I also prefer them over the vastly popular Team Dynamics which many memebers on this forum have - again - personal preference nothing else.

Aaaaanyhow, it has been extablished that no one likes my wheels except Darek, Steve and I so no point in arguing over it :)

I think they're HOT!

#42 ·
good stuff Tommy, looks to be a fun path you've taken to this point and your car looks great.:thumbup::beer:

#46 ·
Its what Ive been using since finding the euro castrol locally has become a PITA :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#49 ·
Spent a good part of the day today (in between of "working from home") adding the polished lip to the rims. Thanks a MILLION to Darek for helping out once again. I have to say him and I work really well together. After we were done with the wheels we also did a SUM Recalibration - made a HUGE difference.

Scraping mechanism - Darek focused on paint scraping, I went and sanded it afterwards

Getting there

Ready for clearcoat

Darek's invention to cover the wheel for the clear coat

Something's missing?

This is the look I've been waiting for!

SUM Recalibration

#51 ·
Closer shots.

#53 ·
now all you need is a tip tuck ;)

nice work tho.

#59 ·
looks better like that, nice work...like you said, the downside of having a black lip is that it gets lost/blends with the tire...i did notice that your exhaust seems to stick out a little far

#56 ·
+1

Looks great man. Welcome to the mesh club.

#57 ·
Looks great!!

#58 ·
Thanks guys! Yes I'm very happy with the new look. it completes the whole look of it. The old style made the rim disappear between the tire - this one gives it a nice outline and shows how small the tire is - really like it. ...now, if I could only drive it more! hehe

#61 ·
just saw these in a eurosport email , looks similar to your wheels

#64 ·
this thread is so thorough... you are an inspiration, i wish i could do all the things youve done...simply great job...by the way...SUM Recalibration! I need one of those! want to help me out?

#72 ·
Thank you for the love guys...and some hate. I'm glad this thread is interesting but keep in mind that most of my things are easy bolt ons...there is very little custom work and you all can do it..I just like to document everything that I do

Regarding the pegs....I don't miss them....I love my new wheels

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

#76 ·
haha, I did the same thing but at 100k and I got the 100mph but won't post it. :)

#74 ·
Hey, tomedkaz, your inbox is FULL - I wanted to send you my info

#75 · (Edited)
Sorry - I just deleted some messages. You should be good to go now

In the meantime, some recent shots

Some winter shots...

I've got some cool snow-drifting videos waiting to be extracted from the GoPro :)

FILTHY after the drip...washed her right away with warm water. Even the undercarriage got a thorough wash

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.