13V instead of 14+ since accesory belt change
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Lightbulb 13V instead of 14+ since accesory belt change

I changed the accessory belt and tensioner on my 04VR in March. Before the change, the battery meter on my Orange TPMS would routinely live in the 14's while the car was running and between 12 and 12.4 (or so) when off.

Since the belt change, while running the meter lives around 13.1-13.7 or so, I never see 14's anymore. The 'off' voltage is the same as before and I did change my battery in April.

The parts I bought from FCP:

30731808OE Volvo Alternator Drive Belt - Genuine Volvo 30731808OE (1) @ $49.43 = $49.43
      31251250OE Volvo Accessory Drive Belt Tensioner - Genuine Volvo 31251250OE (1) @ $78.95 = $78.95

Could I have done something wrong to result in the lower running voltage? Was my old running voltage higher because I was on an old battery? Since the change I have no sqeeks or codes.

Thanks
      | 04 FLO R IDA V |
      ViVA FMIC * iPD HD-TCV * K&N * Powerslot rotors * HPS Pads * iPD boost gauge * Orange TPMS * JVC KW-AVX840 * -Resonator * Powerflex * 55w HID Fogs * 3" custom DP with cat * Snabb intake * Forge CBV * 150k miles

No personal experience here, but theoretically if the belt were tighter than before, more energy would be consumed overcoming bearing friction in the alt, and less voltage may be produced?
      2006 S60R GT- Black/Gobi @90k miles / K&N intake / IPD HD TCV / Iridium plugs (.028) / 55w HID main and fog @6000k / GSX 3" DP / IPD Stage 2 / Strut Tower Brace / IPD F&R Track-Sways / Solid Subframe Bushings

Check the voltage on the battery with the car off and running. Your gauge may just be off. My Scan Gauge gives me weird readings sometimes too. When I checked at the battery with the car off it is about 12v and with the car running is about 13.6v.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

alternators don't perform at their maximum when it is super hot outside.
      2003 S60 T5M - bilstein sport/eibach, sways, exhaust, mini h1 projectors, and other minor touches

Using a meter is a great idea, I'm embarrassed I didn't think of it already. I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

Got out the meter. With the car at idle after a long drive home, the TPMS was showing 13.2V but the meter across the terminals reported 13.7-13.8. Car off, TPMS said 11.8 (!) but terminals shows 12.4, decreasing slowly. If it's off that much, I think it's reasonable to assume it was off before when showing ~14V as well.

Thanks!
      Last edited by n23; 10-03-2012 at 08:16 PM.