SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

New Fuel Pump,Dealership,CEL's and Sediment? Anyone?

3K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  BumpinVolvo 
#1 ·
Still ongoing so long story short, Had gas odor in cabin,took Flash to Indy shop, Indy told me about Fuel Pump Recall, Took it to Dealership car is good for recall... Now the fun starts. With in 5 miles car sputters and cuts out,goes into limp mode and throws every code known to Thor,including fuel pressure, misfires some engine sensor??? (So mad forgot the darn sensor) Took it back to Dealership and they want $1100 for a Tank Cleaning!!!!!! Any of the R Peeps have advice or seen this with there Swede before I blow my cash!!!!!! Daddy needs a Vail Pass..:)

#2 ·
Sediment really? here is a picture of my 162,000 mile looks to be OEM fuel filter. If they say sediment...my car has it LOL

Your recall only changes out the fuel pressure sensor right?

Fuel smell inside the vehicle is probably the seal around the gas tank or one of the lines with a crack in it from the old age.
FPS bad can cause misfire codes.
Coils bad can cause limp mode and misfire codes
Spark Plugs bad can cause misfire and limp mode too.

Multiple misfires can cause limp mode and a nice flashing CEL light.

What work has been done?

#12 ·
Sediment really? here is a picture of my 162,000 mile looks to be OEM fuel filter.
holy crap! :eek:

car ran better after that huh... replaced mine at 90 and my filter was spotless compared to that. maybe mine was just not filtering anything :D

#3 ·
#6 ·
There is also a recall on the fuel pump along with the fps. I had my fuel pump replaced on a later date after the fps replacement. The fuel pump is not a simple replacement if I recall correctly and I was worried they would mess that up. Luckily, I didn't have any problems going forward.

I agree with the above posters and say that it is a dealership problem, not something you should have to pay to fix.

#7 ·
Willing to bet money it is the PEM (pump electronic module). When pump goes bad this shorts out it is located in the rear passenger side wheel well in 04's and by the spare tire in newer models. I went through this when my pump went bad replaced the FPS first and it did not help at all.

Also pirenzo can provide some insight. He had some fuel pump issues to put it lightly.

#9 ·
That would be incorrect a faulty PEM will act exactly as the op described in his original post. I know from personal experience.

#10 ·
1st Of All, The Car Needs A Total Software Update or Verifying That It Does Have The Latest and Greatest. Software Updates Sometimes Fixes Drive-ability Issues.The Dealer Should Provide This FOC! (free of charge) The Whole Sediment Thing Is Bull. Replacing The Fuel Pump Consists Of Lifting It Out, Even If There Was Sediment, Driving Around With 1/2 a Tank Of Gas Will Cause More Sloshing Around and Stirring Up Sediment Than Replacing A Fuel Pump So In Other Words, You Would Have Had That Problem Prior To The Pump Being Replaced.
I Work At A Independent Volvo Shop and Had The Same Problem After A Fuel Pump Repair On An XC90. We Had To Update The Software 1st, Then Put It Though A Duty Cycle Test, Found That The New Volvo Fuel Pump Was Defective, Replaced It Again. No Problem Since.

VCNA (Volvo Cars Of North America) Announced Almost 2 Years Ago That They Wanted To Drive Customers Back Into Dealers and Were Going To Offer The Following -
1. Free Software Updates On P2, P1 and P3 Cars. VCNA Sells The Updates To The Dealers For $.01. My Shop Has To Pay Full Pop Though VIDA. No Discounts From Volvo Even For A Wholesale Account.
2. Free CEL Diag.
3. Parts and Labor Repairs Covered For 2 Years. This Is Manure Because This ONLY Applies To If The Volvo Genuine Part Is Installed By The Dealer. Meaning If You or A Non- Volvo Dealer Installs It, 1 Year Only, Part Only.

I Say This Because Compared To BMW's Parts Warranty -
2 Years Parts AND Labor EVEN If You or An Independent Repair Shop Installs It. Meaning, IF The Part Goes Bad Within 2 Years, Installed By You or A Non-Dealer, You Can Take It To A BMW Dealer and THEY Will Replace The Part and Provide The Labor, FOC!

I Only Say This Because, I Seems To Me, That VCNA and Dealers Want NO Competition In The United States From Independent Shops and To Disregard Free Enterprise. The Only Reason The Volvo Shop I Work At Stays Sooo Busy Is Because The Local Volvo Dealers Do Such An Awful Job At Customer Service. VCNA Should Dedicate More Funds/Effort Of Proper Training Of Employees At Dealers.

There's My Rant and Rave, One Day Early...............

#11 ·
Update... So after going back to take Flash to the Dealership with a list of codes and pages and pages of info printed off Swedespeed:p (Thanks to all) It came down to a sit down with the "Boss" of Volvo Service, and let me say that it was like dealing with Hitler on Crack:mad: The dude was not loved by Mommy very much!!!! His voice was somewhere between "Gonna kill you" and The Godfather:mad: When I showed him the postings that REAL DRIVERS OF VOLVO'S put up for the Peeps and this is no s#@t.... THE DUDE WAS POINTING AND WAVING HIS FINGER AT ME:mad: So I reminded him that his actions were rude,and he brought up my E-Mail sent to his boss and with that he asked what I wanted. I responded that I want a New Fuel Pump "He refused" to put in a pump and said " Only issues with new pumps come only from R's and that it has been sediment." So his offer was 25% off the cleaning the tank for the "only thing done wrong" and not telling me about the sediment? And a new pump that is going to be on Volvo's Dime.

So with that I told him that if that's what's wrong fix it but...... I am not going to chase parts and THE CAR BETTER RUN LIKE WHEN IT CAME IN!!!! It still feels dirty:mad: But hands were bound by that Pump.... :facepalm: God I feel dirty. I think in the end I will be talking to Volvo Cars of North America:mad::mad:

#14 · (Edited)
I went through this exact same scenario, except after repeat trips to the dealer i cleaned the fuel pump prescreen myself. F#ck dealerships, first and only time I have ever taken any of my cars to be worked on at a dealership and they screw up. Never again.

See my pics here: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...mp-in-a-YEAR&p=1821870&viewfull=1#post1821870

Oh and the dealer was Volvo of Orange County. F that place.

/rant

:cool::beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.