Keyless entry stopped working.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Keyless entry stopped working.

Hi
      I have a 2011 Volvo S60 T6 and my keyless entry on my drivers door stopped working.(tried the spare key) Is there any trick to get it to work again? All the other doors are OK, and if I open the back door on the drivers side the front door sometimes opens again.
      Any help will be much appreciated as my nearest dealer is 450km away..
      Thanks
      Michél

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Maybe the battery is bad in both your FOBs, trying changing out those first.
      2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Passion Red/Off Black, Platinum/Tech/Climate/BLIS/19" Ixion II, KN Filter, IPD Catback Exhaust, IPD Rear Swaybar {His}
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD - Osmium Grey/Off Black {Hers}
      FS Items: XC60 Cargo Cover
      SOLD:1994 940 Turbo/2004 S40 LSE/2007 S60R/2010 Mazda3 i-touring/2012 S60RD/2013 S60 T5AWD

Quote Originally Posted by PureDrive07 View Post
      Maybe the battery is bad in both your FOBs, trying changing out those first.
      Not if the other doors are working properly.

Betting its the sensor bar inside the door/under the drivers seat. warranty!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hi

After replacing the batteries in the key and testing extensively, I have found that it is only the drivers door so they have to replace the whole handle as all the sensors are in it...
      Regards
      Michél

Hi
      New development! If I hold the key near the rear door handle the front door works, it locks and opens. The conclusion is that the handel sensors are ok. I deduct that the front key pickup is then faulty or has a loose wire. Any idea where I can find this unit?
      Regards and thanks
      Michél

Quote Originally Posted by lupo View Post
      Hi
      New development! If I hold the key near the rear door handle the front door works, it locks and opens. The conclusion is that the handel sensors are ok. I deduct that the front key pickup is then faulty or has a loose wire. Any idea where I can find this unit?
      Regards and thanks
      Michél
      Looking at info on the keyless system from alldatadiy.com I'm surprised at just how
      comlex it is. There are three internal antenna and two external (although they count
      the two rear handles as one). You might want to look at getting a subscription to
      alldatadiy.com to get access to some of the technical info. (google "alldata coupon codes"
      if you go that route to find discount codes).

Here is a bit of it on the external antenna:

External antennas

The outer antennas are located in the door handles on the rear doors and in the luggage compartment.
      The antennas make it possible for the Keyless vehicle module (KVM) to communicate using a remote key outside the vehicle.
      The keyless vehicle module (KVM) activates one or more antennas when:

the system receives a wake-up signal from any of the unlock sensors in the external door handles
      a lock sensor in any of the door handles is affected
      Lock button or unlock button on tailgate is pressed in
      a request to search for remote key is sent from Central electronic module (CEM).

The output of the antennas is adjusted during installation. This is so that there must be a valid remote key within a radius of approximately 1.5 meters from an active antenna for the system to function correctly.
      The keyless vehicle module (KVM) checks the external antennas every operating cycle if the vehicle speed is in excess of 20 km/h (12 mph).
      The antennas are powered by the keyless vehicle module (KVM).
      2011 S60 T6, Flamenco Red / Biege, Polestar Tune, JBL MS-8 DSP and sub-woofer;
      2006 XC90 Ocean Race 'Big Blue'; 1998 V70 T5.
      Previous (sold): 95 855 GLT; 98 S70 T5M; 2000 S40.

Hi
      Wow! Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated!!!!

OK, so now I'm scared.. Doing the 450km trip on Sunday!!! :-)

Regards
      Michél

I have a Volvo S60 (2011) 2.0L SE Lux. I added the keyless drive option which allowed me to open and close/lock doors by touch rather than key. Mid 2013 I began to experience errors in that the doors would not lock/unlock when I touched the handle. The problem seemed to move from door to door. To date the car has been back to the dealer 5 times. The diagonsis has been blamed on electromagnetic radiation, cell phone signal. In April 2014 I contacted Volvo Sweden. This contact 'escalated' the problem. The car has been in twice since (1.) to allow a diagnostic to be run and the data reviewed by Volvo Sweden. (2.) as an outcome of the diagnostic to replace the 'module' that defines the functionality - didn't make a blind bit of difference.
      My warranty is due to run out on 17 June 2014. I have managed to get an extension of 1 month and the car goes in again on 20 June 2014 for another diagnostic. \Here's hoping...

The warranty runs out, but if it is documented that the problem began before the warranty expired it may still be covered after the warranty expires.
      2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience B&W HUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension Polestar[Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by tjh001 View Post
      I have a Volvo S60 (2011) 2.0L SE Lux. I added the keyless drive option which allowed me to open and close/lock doors by touch rather than key. Mid 2013 I began to experience errors in that the doors would not lock/unlock when I touched the handle. The problem seemed to move from door to door.
      I have had this problem with two doors so far, the driver and passenger rear. Apparently water gets into the electronics or a connector inside the door and corrodes the connections. The symptom can be intermittent (mine just quit working). The two doors on my car did not have this problem at the same time but were about 6 months apart, but they easily could have. Ask if they've checked the door sensor connectors for corrosion. There is a TSB on this problem.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood

All four of my door handle has been replaced in one year span because of this problem, ironically.

They are covered by the warranty, but every time it took one visit to diagnostic, one week to order the handle and get it painted (the handle comes black plastic), another visit to have it installed. It is just annoying!

If the front door keyless function works when you hold the key close to the reardoorhandle, the fault is in the reardoorhandle OR reardoor wiringharness. And on V/S60 you dont have to paint the handles, you simply swap over the covers. Its a little tricky, but no problem when you have done it a couple of times.

My drivers door sensor quit, again. It started to go intermittent this weekend and now does not respond at all. The list for my next service visit is growing
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood

Frustrating!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post
      My drivers door sensor quit, again. It started to go intermittent this weekend and now does not respond at all. The list for my next service visit is growing
      I also have intermittent problems with my keyless entry and memory seats. I had both of these features on a 2005 Toyota that worked flawlessly, even up to the time I traded it for my S60. I can't help but wonder why Toyota can get this right, but Volvo can't? Don't get me wrong, I love the S60 and wouldn't trade it for any Toyota out there now. It's just frustrating sometimes when I factor in I paid thousands more for the S60 than I paid for any Toyota.
      2013 FWD Flamenco Red S60 T5, platinum, climate and tech packages with BLIS.
      2010 Subaru Outback

Quote Originally Posted by jmar55 View Post
      I also have intermittent problems with my keyless entry and memory seats. I had both of these features on a 2005 Toyota that worked flawlessly, even up to the time I traded it for my S60. I can't help but wonder why Toyota can get this right, but Volvo can't? Don't get me wrong, I love the S60 and wouldn't trade it for any Toyota out there now. It's just frustrating sometimes when I factor in I paid thousands more for the S60 than I paid for any Toyota.
      The memory seat implementation is so weird I don't know how anyone could actually tell if it was working correctly or not.
      Hers - 2010 XC60 3.2 AWD His - 2016 MB C300 Sport 4matic
      Just for fun - 2001 Honda S2000 - also hers

On order via OSD: 2018 XC60 - T6 Inscription

Don't you just press the memory button and the preset button at the same time to remember that position?

My keyless went a little wonky for a few days last winter just before regularly scheduled service. I think the dealer said they could not duplicate and when I got the car back it was fixed. A couple of weeks ago I got a "key removed from vehicle" warning when it was in my pocket and I was behind the wheel. Warning went away after a couple of minutes.
      Past Volvos: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD
      Present Garage: '16 MX5 Club, '95 854 T-5R, '05 V70RGT, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

I guess I was referring more to screwed up linkage between seat/mirror position and the key fob, not just the buttons on the side of the seat.
      Hers - 2010 XC60 3.2 AWD His - 2016 MB C300 Sport 4matic
      Just for fun - 2001 Honda S2000 - also hers

On order via OSD: 2018 XC60 - T6 Inscription

Hi

There is a bulletin out for 2011 cars. The wires connecting the door locks to the computer are too short, so they have to lengthen them. Quite a job!!!! Something about resistance that is too much! I had it done on my previous S60 T6 and all was fine after that.
      Regards
      Michél

Hi

There is a bulletin out for 2011 cars. The wires connecting the door locks to the computer are too short, so they have to lengthen them. Quite a job!!!! Something about resistance that is too much! I had it done on my previous S60 T6 and all was fine after that.
      Regards
      Michél
      Yeah, this worked for me the first time too, for about a year.

Ugh... this is happening to me now in my 11 S60 driver side door handle.. It won't lock or unlock. But all the other doors work just fine. I'm obviously out of warranty.

Can you guys help me trouble shoot this so I don't have to pay the dealer to do it?

>Since all the other doors work just fine, I'm assuming the battery in the fob is just fine.
      >If there was a TSB for this, does any of that apply to fixing it out of warranty at no charge?
      2011 S60 T6 & 2013 XC60 T6 P*

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Marker View Post
      Ugh... this is happening to me now in my 11 S60 driver side door handle.. It won't lock or unlock. But all the other doors work just fine. I'm obviously out of warranty.

Can you guys help me trouble shoot this so I don't have to pay the dealer to do it?

>Since all the other doors work just fine, I'm assuming the battery in the fob is just fine.
      >If there was a TSB for this, does any of that apply to fixing it out of warranty at no charge?
      Doubtful you can get this fixed out of warranty. It's not a recall, but clearly a defect. I was back at my dealer 4-5 times trying to get my driver's door working properly. Each time they "fixed" the problem only to have it resurface after a month or so. They did the cable extension thing, replaced connectors and then finally the door handle itself. But what really fixed the problem long term was replacing some weather stripping to prevent water from getting in the first place.

So the real issue is water infiltration to the electrical connectors to the door handle which houses the antenna/sensors for keyless entry. This causes corrosion of the connector contacts. If it's bad enough the door handle has to be replaced (the antenna/sensor is integrated into the handle and is not replaceable by itself). You might be able to get in there, take apart the connectors and clean them up, if they're not too bad. If that does work I would waterproof them as well. I have a rear door needing this but since I never use that door have been putting this off. My front passenger door is intermittent as well. I still can't believe Volvo didn't waterproof connectors inside a door!

Thanks for the timeline ans what actually fixed the issue. Are the connections inside the door itself? Meaning just pull off the interior panel and look for the door handle connection?

I have not had the door panel off but from what I've seen online you might have to take off the metal panel behind the door panel to gain access to all of the connectors. It's not clear to me which connectors corrode but I would guess it's the ones at the door handle. I did see one video of being able to remove the door handle without having to remove door panel. This was done by removing screws from the side of the door where the latch is located but I'm not sure if that is all that's needed. Maybe a tech can chime in here with some more specifics on which connector is usually at fault.

Hi

Regards
      Michél
      Anyone know the TSB #?

omg!! I've been dealing with very similar issues both driver side windows don't roll up or down & the same doors don't lock nor do both my mirrors fold in. but when I hit the lock button on my FOB it locks both passenger & gives the conformation beep.

EDIT: passenger windows only roll up or down from their switches
      2003 mustang COBRA ( SVT 10th anniversary ) born on 6-26-03/ 4634 of 5082 of verts & 955th of 2003 SVT 10th ANNIV edition`s
      2006 s40 2.4i fwd

my new baby!!! black on black 2012 s60 T6 awd

So my driver door keyless entry works fine now... Can't explain this gremlin. Didn't do anything to it or changed the battery in my fob.

Tech Jernal number

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Marker View Post
      Anyone know the TSB #?
      The one I found was TJ 26520

I have had this issue as well on my MY12 v60. Both drivers door and driver-side backdoor have this problem. I've noticed that it does seem to work more often when its cold outside, like -1 och even colder; as if the sensons activate by temperature.

Is it hard to check the connectors in the door? I am not much of a mechanic, but I am handy. How difficult of a job is it to remove the door panel, access the connectors and check them before putting it all back again?

Just received the car back from the shop the other day where they repaired the drivers-side door and front panel after a trucked backed-up into my car. My guess is that they might have removed the door at that time to fix it... thus disconnecting these connectors?

Quote Originally Posted by ppeelen View Post
      Is it hard to check the connectors in the door?
      In case it helps you, all four doors of my MY13 failed at some point, had to bring them in, and after two doors failed for the second time, they replaced the wiring harness in each door. And my driver's door *again* has started failing. That was all under warranty, so I don't have an estimate of a mechanic's cost/time, but apparently the entire door panel has to be taken off.

Quote Originally Posted by ppeelen View Post
      Is it hard to check the connectors in the door? I am not much of a mechanic, but I am handy. How difficult of a job is it to remove the door panel, access the connectors and check them before putting it all back again?
      This is one of those cases where having VIDA could be helpful. Instead of taking anything apart, you can just use a laptop to see the status of various things related to locking and the doors.

I once had to fix a similar issue on a VW - there I could use the laptop to see what the door "module" was saying. Whether it thought the door was open or closed, etc..
      2015 V60 (FWD).
      Former: ~1995 850 sedan (5-speed manual ).
      Former: ~1985 740GLE (ZF transmission )

33. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements