Reverted from IPD tune to stock, boost pressure unchanged. What?!?!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just took off my IPD tune today and reverted to stock because I am sending back for a refund. I even confirmed the tune reverted properly by checking the tune with the softloader, it read "Current tune on car is not an MTE tune (AKA factory tune)". I drove about 20 miles nice and easy in case the car needed to relearn, and it did need to. After about 20 minutes I tested it out. To my surprise it still boosts and holds at 17.5 psi. WHAT?!?!? It actually behaves NO differently than the tuned version.

Is this even possible if my factory tune truly loaded properly? Since it is completely reflashed, the car should have no recollection that it has ever boosted 17.5 psi in the past. I am in limbo now because I wanted to get it tuned by Lucky but how am I supposed to hand him a factory tune that is F'd up?

Background info: I purchased my tune from IPD and was unhappy with it. Car literally felt no different. I also expected numbers in the 18-19 psi range and it struggles to hit 17 as well as building very slowly. It will boost quickly to 15 psi like stock then VERY SLOWLY creep up to 17 psi. IMO that is not a "true" 17 psi. Instead of troubleshooting, I just decided to go with Lucky. I am basically chasing better customer service. Not that IPD's is not good but I heard Lucky is exceptional.
      2006 Volvo S60R GT - World Rally Blue w/ Black Wheels - Nordkap
      Performance ARD: Carbon Tune | Snabb: Intake pipe | IPD: AMS | VIVA: Upgraded CBV | CNT: Downpipe

1995 Volvo 850 Turbo - White w/ Peg Reps - Beige

Dealer and get a stock factory ECU flash
      2005 Volvo S60R MT Mystic Silver Metallic -Custom Tuned-KW V2 Suspension-All Powerflex Bushings
      Garret:|GTX3576R|TIAL:|QR Recirc Valve|MV-R 44mm External Wastegate|Custom:|Intake|Full 3" Exhaust w/ Borla Xr-1|FMIC|UR:|Chassis Braces|AEM:|Water/Meth Kit 441cc Nozzle|5-0:|750cc Injectors|Audi:|B6 S4 MAF|IPD:|Poly Mounts-V70R Sways|BUILD THREAD

Not sure you need to worry about it with ARD. I sent him my ECU and It had a RICA tune in it.Lucky was able to do a custom tune on it no prob.
      2006 V70R Black GT 377 awhp TME Exhaust, Girodisc 2 piece rotors IPD Sway bars, HD end links, Strut Brace, Poly engine mounts EST CAI, Silicone hose kits, SNABB intake, IPD HO coils,Enem Y21, CamsRaceS60R FMIC,Majestic Hybrid Turbo, HFS-4 water meth ElectronicsSPA digital Boost/EGT, ScanGauge II, Bel STiR ,Laser Interceptor HD front jammer, Mobileye collision avoidance system , LED interior lighting, ImiV, 2 USB, AARP member,

I still want to know what is going on. Did IPD mess it up and send me back an altered factory tune?
      Performance ARD: Carbon Tune | Snabb: Intake pipe | IPD: AMS | VIVA: Upgraded CBV | CNT: Downpipe

Quote Originally Posted by crazyace1104 View Post
      Dealer and get a stock factory ECU flash
      I am assuming this is not complimentary and do not want to pay the dollar bills

im glad im not the only one in this boat. ive been flashing back and forth from my ipd tune to stock and cannot tell a difference either.
      my old built 745t
      '07 S60R - black, atacama, MT (1 of 15 made), viva stage 3, enem cams, snabb intake and short shifter, obx DP (no cat) ipd catback, eibach springs, custom FMIC, aem water meth

Quote Originally Posted by mullen1120 View Post
      im glad im not the only one in this boat. ive been flashing back and forth from my ipd tune to stock and cannot tell a difference either.
      Do you also have a boost gauge to prove this? Without a boost gauge I might not have noticed because when I originally loaded the IPD tune I was disappointed with its performance and complained it felt like stock.

im guessing they "retune" back to stock so its not a 100% fool proof factory tune
      2005 Volvo S60R MT Mystic Silver Metallic -Custom Tuned-KW V2 Suspension-All Powerflex Bushings
      Garret:|GTX3576R|TIAL:|QR Recirc Valve|MV-R 44mm External Wastegate|Custom:|Intake|Full 3" Exhaust w/ Borla Xr-1|FMIC|UR:|Chassis Braces|AEM:|Water/Meth Kit 441cc Nozzle|5-0:|750cc Injectors|Audi:|B6 S4 MAF|IPD:|Poly Mounts-V70R Sways|BUILD THREAD

im guessing they "retune" back to stock so its not a 100% fool proof factory tune
      Even if the "factory tune" they give you is a remodified factory tune, why not replicate a factory tune? They can control boost levels so why would they make it different than factory?

maybe they tried and couldnt exactly. Post this up in the ipd section, would love to here their thoughts

My tune took a few tries to work. I was informed that they have come across a few ECUs that are atypical when it comes to tuning.
      2005 V70R
      A sexy blend of Phuz, iPD and ViVA

Quote Originally Posted by Body Massage View Post
      My tune took a few tries to work. I was informed that they have come across a few ECUs that are atypical when it comes to tuning.
      atypical. sounds sketchy hows your block? find one yet LOL

Yeah. Picking it up on Friday. They wouldn't ship it to a residential address. Even though I was, you know, paying them.

So I got a friend with a truck. We're going down Friday afternoon, then dropping it off. Hopefully I'll have it back this weekend.

Then, first order of business: Meth injection.
      2005 V70R

Yeah. Picking it up on Friday. They wouldn't ship it to a residential address. Even though I was, you know, paying them.

So I got a friend with a truck. We're going down Friday afternoon, then dropping it off. Hopefully I'll have it back this weekend.

Then, first order of business: Meth injection.
      meth?! why? how much for the block?

I have been communicating very closely with them and they have never mentioned anything of the sort. I would think they would have mentioned something about that when we discussed why my tune doesn't feel like a tune.

meth?! why? how much for the block?
      Meth for cooling. Luke said it looked like the block had gotten hot, even though it never overheated. So, I'd rather keep it all cool.

I got a whole engine(minus the turbo) for $2540. 65k on it. Best deal I could score on short notice.
      2005 V70R

Meth for cooling. Luke said it looked like the block had gotten hot, even though it never overheated. So, I'd rather keep it all cool.

I got a whole engine(minus the turbo) for $2540. 65k on it. Best deal I could score on short notice.
      absoluteness!!!!! tho the meth wont be flowing til in the higer boost range which is good

EDIT*** luke loves meth haha

Have you guys tried contacting IPD? Ken is great to talk with about the tunes...

Also, if you're hitting 17 psi on a stock tune, that is strange. You shouldn't be hitting more than 15 really unless you are counting spikes on gear changes. For example, here is a graph I made with the data logger for before/after boost levels.

1998 S70 GLT - Sold
      1999 V70XC - Sold

1997 850 GLT - Daily Driver Check It Out
      2007 S60R - - FOR SALE -285 awhp/305 ft-lb
      Sometimes I sing too

Quote Originally Posted by Saleen9090 View Post
      I still want to know what is going on. Did IPD mess it up and send me back an altered factory tune?
      I could relate to you some very valuable information that makes me feel like I might have a similar situation with IPD. Only through pm though...
      06 Ti Grey SR w/Sport Pkg, Manual, (IPD)>Stage II, AMS w/custom AEM Dry Flow, 3in DP, Track Sway Bars, HD Endlinks, Boost Gauge, Silicone Vac Lines, Upr Engine Mnt, HD Trans Mount. SNABB Intake & Short Shifter,IPD 3" Oval Exhaust, Phuz HD TCV, Viva HD CBV, Wg 7psi, Port Matched/Polished Intake Manifold, Victory Performance FMIC w/IMEC, Labonte Stg II H2O/Meth Injection. http://www.dragtimes.com/Volvo-S60-Timeslip-19306.html

Quote Originally Posted by kmg_S60R View Post
      I could relate to you some very valuable information that makes me feel like I might have a similar situation with IPD. Only through pm though...
      Awesome. More secrets. GO ARD FTW

Quote Originally Posted by kmg_S60R View Post
      By all means, be my guest. I would like to get to the bottom of this.

Quote Originally Posted by prienzo View Post
      Have you guys tried contacting IPD? Ken is great to talk with about the tunes...

Also, if you're hitting 17 psi on a stock tune, that is strange. You shouldn't be hitting more than 15 really unless you are counting spikes on gear changes. For example, here is a graph I made with the data logger for before/after boost levels.

Yes I contacted both Ken and Bud many many times trying to figure it out. They couldn't really explain why my boost would jump to 15 psi and then very slowly climb to 17 psi. It's no wonder I didn't feel much of a power difference. They wanted me to use the softloader's built-in data logging feature to help pinpoint the problem but to their surprise that didn't work either. Ken claimed this was the first time anyone had this unusual problem with the data logging feature and it took them almost a month to even get back to me with troubleshooting ideas. The way I see it, first they have to get my data-logging feature working before they can even start figuring out the problem with my tune. So I guess my secret is out, I eventually got fed up with waiting and chose to just switch tunes altogether.

I am not counting boost spikes.

Yes I contacted both Ken and Bud many many times trying to figure it out. They couldn't really explain why my boost would jump to 15 psi and then very slowly climb to 17 psi. It's no wonder I didn't feel much of a power difference. They wanted me to use the softloader's built-in data logging feature to help pinpoint the problem but to their surprise that didn't work either. Ken claimed this was the first time anyone had this unusual problem with the data logging feature and it took them almost a month to even get back to me with troubleshooting ideas. The way I see it, first they have to get my data-logging feature working before they can even start figuring out the problem with my tune. So I guess my secret is out, I eventually got fed up with waiting and chose to just switch tunes altogether.

I am not counting boost spikes.
      Wow, that is strange your data logging didn't work. Sorry to hear that
      1998 S70 GLT - Sold
      1999 V70XC - Sold

Sometimes I sing too

Since you actually have to give Lucky the ECU I'm sure he would be able to find out if anything is wrong with your ECU vs anything wrong with IPD tune/software. Sounds like IPD is saying it's a problem on your end not with their tune. Hopefully once lucky has the ECU in hand he can give you more info if your ECU is at fault. Good luck.
      2005 Volvo S60R Ti/Nordkap *NAV, Climate Package, Premium Package, 18" Flat Black Retarded Flying Horse Wheels, 10mm spacers (all around), Engine Stabilizer Upper Polyurethane Bushing, HD Polyurethane Transmission Mount, Polyurethane Upper Engine Mount, GROM iPOD unit, 2 10" Infinity Subs, Phuzzy Motorsports HD-TCV, 3.5" Air Intake, Green Calipers, UR Brace Bars (Upper Front and Rear), IPD DEM Shield*

Wow, that is strange your data logging didn't work. Sorry to hear that
      To me it feels that anything that could go wrong did go wrong

Quote Originally Posted by ions View Post
      Since you actually have to give Lucky the ECU I'm sure he would be able to find out if anything is wrong with your ECU vs anything wrong with IPD tune/software. Sounds like IPD is saying it's a problem on your end not with their tune. Hopefully once lucky has the ECU in hand he can give you more info if your ECU is at fault. Good luck.
      I originally started blaming my equipment too because I figured I had a TCV issue or something of the sort that only shows its face when boosting above stock level. That would make sense but what does not make sense is how my car behaved perfectly on the factory tune before switching and then behaves differently when I load my "factory" tune back on from the softloader. IMO that can't be a problem on my end. And if the factory tune they sent me isn't right I feel there is a good chance the stage 2 tune isn't right.
      Last edited by Saleen9090; 11-29-2012 at 12:24 PM.

I originally started blaming my equipment too because I figured I had a TCV issue or something of the sort that only shows its face when boosting above stock level. That would make sense but what does not make sense is how my car behaved perfectly on the factory tune before switching and then behaves differently when I load my "factory" tune back on from the softloader. IMO that can't be a problem on my end. And if the factory tune they sent me isn't right I feel there is a good chance the stage 2 tune isn't right.
      That's a good possibility. If you go with the ARD tune, get it back and it's totally different I'm sure it was MTE/IPD's mistake, hopefully that's all it is cause it would suck to get it back and again nothing has changed and something on your end is the problem which I hope isn't the case
      2005 Volvo S60R Ti/Nordkap *NAV, Climate Package, Premium Package, 18" Flat Black Retarded Flying Horse Wheels, 10mm spacers (all around), Engine Stabilizer Upper Polyurethane Bushing, HD Polyurethane Transmission Mount, Polyurethane Upper Engine Mount, GROM iPOD unit, 2 10" Infinity Subs, Phuzzy Motorsports HD-TCV, 3.5" Air Intake, Green Calipers, UR Brace Bars (Upper Front and Rear), IPD DEM Shield*

The fact that you data logger is not working points to an ECU or software issue.
      1998 S70 GLT - Sold
      1999 V70XC - Sold

Sometimes I sing too

The fact that you data logger is not working points to an ECU or software issue.
      To add to the already interesting story..... I have a scangauge that reads all correct values so it's not the car delivering false info. I mean how could the car even be on feedback control if all the variables are jumbled? The car wouldn't even operate.

To add to the already interesting story..... I have a scangauge that reads all correct values so it's not the car delivering false info. I mean how could the car even be on feedback control if all the variables are jumbled? The car wouldn't even operate.
      I just think there's an issue with your software package from MTE. I'm sure the ECU is fine, although I find it strange you are boosting to 17 pounds on stock. It would be nice if the data logger worked so you could confirm that though. A boost gauge is only as good as it is accurate.
      1998 S70 GLT - Sold
      1999 V70XC - Sold

Sometimes I sing too

I just think there's an issue with your software package from MTE. I'm sure the ECU is fine, although I find it strange you are boosting to 17 pounds on stock. It would be nice if the data logger worked so you could confirm that though. A boost gauge is only as good as it is accurate.
      I have owned the boost gauge for 1.5 years now and when I had the factory tune it read exactly 14.7 psi. That would be a hell of a coincidence if it all of the sudden chose to sh** the bed. I trust the boost gauge.

I have owned the boost gauge for 1.5 years now and when I had the factory tune it read exactly 14.7 psi. That would be a hell of a coincidence if it all of the sudden chose to sh** the bed. I trust the boost gauge.
      Didn't realize you were hitting targeted boost before tune
      1998 S70 GLT - Sold
      1999 V70XC - Sold

Sometimes I sing too

So tried something new tonight. Loaded the stage 2 tune back on and went out for a drive. Same as last time, it would boost to 15 quickly like stock then creep up to 17 psi late in the RPM band. Then I reloaded the factory tune again. Everything normal now, boosts to 14.7 psi and holds fairly steady. Again I say WHAT?!?!?! Both times I loaded the factory tune, I used the softloader to confirm the tune was loaded so how does it behave differently on two different days. To me the tune should either A) not load at all, B)Partially load causing a corrupt tune, or C)Properly load the tune. How does it successfully load the tune but have some of the variables (like boost limit) jumbled up? Weird stuff.

On a side note, Bud at IPD said that the quick spool up to 14.7 psi followed by a slow creep to 17 psi is normal on a stage 2 tune. Can anyone else confirm this? Or are others with stage 2 noticing a quick spool directly to 17-19 psi? I believe this is why I didn't feel like much of a power increase was present. To me, an extra 2 psi high in the RPM band near shift point is useless.

So tried something new tonight. Loaded the stage 2 tune back on and went out for a drive. Same as last time, it would boost to 15 quickly like stock then creep up to 17 psi late in the RPM band. Then I reloaded the factory tune again. Everything normal now, boosts to 14.7 psi and holds fairly steady. Again I say WHAT?!?!?! Both times I loaded the factory tune, I used the softloader to confirm the tune was loaded so how does it behave differently on two different days. To me the tune should either A) not load at all, B)Partially load causing a corrupt tune, or C)Properly load the tune. How does it successfully load the tune but have some of the variables (like boost limit) jumbled up? Weird stuff.

On a side note, Bud at IPD said that the quick spool up to 14.7 psi followed by a slow creep to 17 psi is normal on a stage 2 tune. Can anyone else confirm this? Or are others with stage 2 noticing a quick spool directly to 17-19 psi? I believe this is why I didn't feel like much of a power increase was present. To me, an extra 2 psi high in the RPM band near shift point is useless.
      My ard tune flys up from 0-18 psi and stays solid 3k-6k+. Solid solid Solid. No stops and creeps. Flys right to 18

my ard tune flys up from 0-18 psi and stays solid 3k-6k+. Solid solid solid. No stops and creeps. Flys right to 18
      like button

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast