TPMS problems
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Thread: TPMS problems

TPMS problems

My '07 XC90 3.2 has been giving me TPMS related error messages, it's either low tire pressure message when the tire pressure is fine or the TPMS needs to be serviced. Any body else experience this before? At this point it's more annoying than anything else but I'd like to take care of this if it's not too expensive to fix. My guess is I need new TPMS sensors for all 4 wheels. Any thoughts?

IIRC there are batteries in each, possibly one going bad? You should be able to just replace the bad component, not having to replace all 4.
      1996 850 GLT sdn (deceased @ 250k), 2002 V70 XC 120k (traded), 2009 S80 3.2 52k
      2010 VW Croutan 3.8 SE 29k
      1998 Chevrolet K1500 85k(only cause Volvo doesn't make pick ups)
      1965 Pontiac Lemans convertable (the sled)
      2013 Ford Police Interceptor Utility (not that horrible)

Quote Originally Posted by ea_sport View Post
      My '07 XC90 3.2 has been giving me TPMS related error messages, it's either low tire pressure message when the tire pressure is fine or the TPMS needs to be serviced. Any body else experience this before? At this point it's more annoying than anything else but I'd like to take care of this if it's not too expensive to fix. My guess is I need new TPMS sensors for all 4 wheels. Any thoughts?
      Most likely this is the problem, yes. The batteries tend to go bad after 4 - 5 years so if these are original then you're right there. The only wildcard here is that I would expect the system to either see a reading from a tire or not. I wouldn't expect it to see a low reading if the batteries were starting to go.

For what the sensors cost, I'd spend a few bucks to have someone with a scanner actually determine whether one or more wheels are not reporting. If that's the case then I'd replace the sensors. Replace all 4 because even if a few aren't bad, they will be in short order.

Will I need to take the tires of the wheels in order to change the batteries? Also, if I need new TPMS how much do they cost? Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by ea_sport View Post
      Will I need to take the tires of the wheels in order to change the batteries? Also, if I need new TPMS how much do they cost? Thanks all.
      Yes; each sensor costs between $30-$80 each, and the tire has to be unmounted to get the sensor out. You will need to check with your local tire shop and see if they have an aftermarket equivalent that will work with the Volvo system; if not you're out of luck and will need to source them from Volvo.

I seem to recall that Volvo doesn't use pressure sensors, but instead uses the ABS sensors to sense tire rotation and calculate if a tire is low?

Quote Originally Posted by pengc99 View Post
      Yes; each sensor costs between $30-$80 each, and the tire has to be unmounted to get the sensor out. You will need to check with your local tire shop and see if they have an aftermarket equivalent that will work with the Volvo system; if not you're out of luck and will need to source them from Volvo.

I seem to recall that Volvo doesn't use pressure sensors, but instead uses the ABS sensors to sense tire rotation and calculate if a tire is low?
      I'm likely to agree with that since we can't read pressure at individual wheels (at least not on 2004's). I believe the US changed it at some point so that a true TPMS was required though so that might have changed in later years.

Quote Originally Posted by pengc99 View Post

i think that is like what was on our aurora and it didnt have sensors. the abs triggered a light when a wheels rotations per mile, in combination with the steering wheels placement varied from what the other three wheels were reporting.

i think the tpms sensors work by either giving a psi reading or look for a deviation in one sensor compared to the other three or four sensors.
      Sincerely,
      Tom
      2006 2.5 AWD - She drives it, I maintain it. Win Win she says.