Fixed That For Ya: Volvo Under Geely
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
    Results 1 to 24 of 24
    1. #1

      Fixed That For Ya: Volvo Under Geely

      From the peanut gallery:

      From the FTFY Files: Volvo

    2. #2
      Junior Member allnewvolvo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2012
      Location
      Long Island
      Posts
      286
      parts of this is good, and then some parts are completely insane!!!!!!

    3. #3
      Junior Member WA V50 T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2006
      Location
      Bellevue, WA
      Posts
      557
      Good read. Not too bad.
      Tube Screamer
      Kent WA
      2010 C30 R-Design, 6 spd, ELEVATE Tune,Gecko Green
      2006 V50 T5 Electric Silver, RIP!, 2010 VW Golf TDI DSG

    4. #4
      I gotta say, whoever wrote this makes better sense than the people that run volvo right now. My only gripe is the AWD thing but thats really it.

    5. #5
      Member TG's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2006
      Location
      Western PA
      Posts
      5,140
      Lots of nice point here I've never heard these arguments this way. I like it very much...

      I also must say that while I've felt to pressure from the SS crowed of not owning an AWD I can say in all honesty that my FWD as never ever failed me in the snow for over 7 years now on the road. The only time I had some issues was in my own steep driveway and only prior to getting snow tires.

      Yes it may be a little more comfortable mentally and the driving might feel a little more controlled in some spirited situation (less over steer) but honestly I never really think about it while driving so it mustn't be as big of a deal many makes it to be.
      T5 S40 Greg (05) > 1. 2. 3. | Kenwood interface |Viva 3"DP |EST exhaust |RICA stage 2+ |EST trust brace |Elevate sway bar |Bell black FMIC |Elevate intake pipe |IPD TCV |H&R 1.4 down |TKI front end-links |Elevate tran mount |BERN 18x8 on Michelin pilot super sp 225x40 |Bilstein 8 SP struts and shocks |Powerslot rotors |StopTech 309 pads |Custom Boost gauge |Lettering relocation head+rear lights cut vinyl |

    6. #6
      Junior Member allnewvolvo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2012
      Location
      Long Island
      Posts
      286
      I think it is safe to say that everyone here at Swedespeed is passionate about cars, which is why I am kinda nervous to state my opinions. There are considerate people out there, an then there are extremely righteous people out there. Regardless, I will proceed.

      I say that I disagree with what the article said.

      I do not want another SAAB brand out there that caters to the handful of 'million mile club' people. I loved SAAB, but I did not like the brand culture. I feel like SAAB managers would say"Hey, have a quirky, Scandinavian car for $50,000. You would be so hip!" This argument would seem invalid to some of you because SAAB did not have proper funding. My argument says that, regardless of the funding, they marketed their products to fans, and was not able to attract new buyers who could afford such a car. I bring up SAAB because I feel that their marketing was a factor for the public's distaste in SAAB. Why did people not like SAAB? Why wasn't everyone interested in this brand? was it really the bad transmission and the numb steering holding all of those customers back? I doubt it. I bet it was the quirky attitude that was too bizarre for rich suburbians.

      Volvo was and still is in a different, and a much better situation than SAAB. While Volvo did not have the proper support from Ford, they had well built vehicles and a stronger portfolio of vehicles. Volvo would sell 4 times the amount of cars than SAAB, because people buying Volvos were interested in the image of solid quality, precise handling, good design. While not as competitive as BMW, Volvo had the XC90 and a beautiful C70, and a fun S60. Volvo was willing to compete with the Germans. Why did Volvo make the S80? Why did Volvo make the XC90?

      The market has made some changes, and Volvo, as a legitimate business, needs to honor this. Back in the day, there was a huge distinction between safe, solid cars, to the rickety economic cars. Cars who wanted safety would get certain cars, while the others couldn’t afford them. Today, economic cars have much better quality. Another change in the automotive industry was made. While economy cars were improving quality and safety, luxury cars wee becoming well rounded. Look at Mercedes, they now have big and small, fast and fuel efficient, sporty and luxury, cheap and expensive. Where was Volvo in all of this? What direction were they going? Of course customers were interested in other stuff. With SAAB and Volvo stuck in the mud, where were the customers of the semi expensive brands go? These buyers were probably thinking that they should either move upscale, or downscale. The actual target market split directions! Hahah worst scenario basically. I see this as a big truth.

      With Volvo selling vehicles that are sorta luxury, there is little validation to the desire for these cars. Is the S80 really worth $50000 to you? What is it based off of? What sexy, cool, desirable Volvo element makes you say, “ah this is the all in one Volvo I want!” There is no source of higher relationship with these cars since there is nothing all that exciting in the Volvo lineup! Why do people buy the 3 series? Well I think its because it is a small representation of a big grand BMW that is affordable. Why do people buy the E class? Well its because it is the overall Mercedes package that has a bit of S class, a bit of cls, not too big, not too expensive, more prestige than a Volvo, Voila! Volvo does not have greatness to have much represented in their vehicles. If they want to continue in this direction, they need to add some special, gratifying vehicles. A legit coupe, a larger 4 door coupe, a nice decked out XC90 and some RWD sexy back!

      The market today has better quality cars than there were 30 years ago. This does not mean that people are willing to pay exactly what they want, because these cars are now marginalized, MARGINALIZED!!!!!! This has segregated peoples willingness to pay for cars between luxury and economy. Heck even economy cars are getting nice (ford Taurus, Chrysler 300, Toyota Avalon).

      What we want Volvo to be may be completely irrelevant to what it should be. Volvo should be profitable enough to support interesting and beautiful vehicles. This may take some research on the market, and careful planning, but I believe that once Volvo can get about 700000 to 900000, they can really become a whole new brand. The projects like the Audi R8, the A7 and the BMW i8, the X6 and the Mercedes SLS took some diligence, but I think were worth waiting for. I don’t think that there is a single executive that doesn’t find it completely awesome that they make such cool vehicles.

    7. #7
      Junior Member bd5400's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2011
      Location
      Wisconsin
      Posts
      955
      Yea, the XC and AWD thing sort of kills the article because it's a terrible suggestion. I also don't think merging the S60 and S80, which further reduces model choices, would be a good idea either.

    8. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2009
      Location
      Scotland UK
      Posts
      305
      Quote Originally Posted by allnewvolvo View Post
      I think it is safe to say that everyone here at Swedespeed is passionate about cars, which is why I am kinda nervous to state my opinions. There are considerate people out there, an then there are extremely righteous people out there. Regardless, I will proceed.

      I say that I disagree with what the article said.

      I do not want another SAAB brand out there that caters to the handful of 'million mile club' people. I loved SAAB, but I did not like the brand culture. I feel like SAAB managers would say"Hey, have a quirky, Scandinavian car for $50,000. You would be so hip!" This argument would seem invalid to some of you because SAAB did not have proper funding. My argument says that, regardless of the funding, they marketed their products to fans, and was not able to attract new buyers who could afford such a car. I bring up SAAB because I feel that their marketing was a factor for the public's distaste in SAAB. Why did people not like SAAB? Why wasn't everyone interested in this brand? was it really the bad transmission and the numb steering holding all of those customers back? I doubt it. I bet it was the quirky attitude that was too bizarre for rich suburbians.

      Volvo was and still is in a different, and a much better situation than SAAB. While Volvo did not have the proper support from Ford, they had well built vehicles and a stronger portfolio of vehicles. Volvo would sell 4 times the amount of cars than SAAB, because people buying Volvos were interested in the image of solid quality, precise handling, good design. While not as competitive as BMW, Volvo had the XC90 and a beautiful C70, and a fun S60. Volvo was willing to compete with the Germans. Why did Volvo make the S80? Why did Volvo make the XC90?

      The market today has better quality cars than there were 30 years ago. This does not mean that people are willing to pay exactly what they want, because these cars are now marginalized, MARGINALIZED!!!!!! This has segregated peoples willingness to pay for cars between luxury and economy. Heck even economy cars are getting nice (ford Taurus, Chrysler 300, Toyota Avalon).
      The problem with SAAB was GM. Period. Saab's last 9-5 is a case in point. GM released it too late and the previous model was so badly done by GM, SAAB refused to put it out on the market until they could improve the quality and drive train. Infact, it was the same case with their Italian Type 4 floor pan that brought the Lancia Thema, Fiat Croma and the SAAB 9000 together. They may share the same doors and windows, but that's about it and the 9000 was far safer than its Italian cousins too! One has to give SAAB credit for putting their foot down, regardless of their cars and perhaps in the US where the Subaru based 4x4 or GM tech gave SAAB more models, in Europe there were only the old 9-3 and 9-5 vehicles that one could buy. You are right to suggest that they had poor funding though. If they had a better owner who was more concerned to promote the brand rather than quash it, SAAB would still probably be around now and due to the 2 model line up in Europe and the UK, it would stand to reason to why Volvo would outsell the brand based on the amount of different vehicles and model ranges Volvo has.

      Like SAAB, Volvo have tapped into what sells from previous times. They had dabbled with 4x4 tech in the field but had not released it onto the market, taking perhaps too long to launch an SUV like the XC90. The S80 follows on where the luxury 264 sedan, 760 and 960 leave from - it makes sense to have a limousine like Volvo - it's been a big market for them and it still seems to be a good market where stretch limos are concerned.

      However I do agree with the article in a lot of ways. Having worked for Volvo in the mid 1980's, the Swedish government backed company were all about Eco-saving, going into the Lambda Sond patent to improve emissions etc. Back in the 1980s, life at Volvo was very different - they had no desire to make beautiful cars, only giving single model releases like the 480 ES or 780 a chance. I don't think Volvo have managed being Eco-friendly without Ford's help or funding. Their previous DriVe systems are all based on similar tech that Ford are now launching in their own cars.

      As for desire - well its a subjective field that comes down to the individual. You may not think that there are no sexy or desirable Volvos out there, but I believe they are - you just have to change your thoughts on what you term as being sexy or cool - and not based on other manufacturer's products as a comparison.

      I feel that whilst the XC90 has been good for Volvo, there is a lot of truth in the statement that 4x4 aren't exactly eco-efficient. Volvo's future push for 4 cylinder engines only makes a lot of sense - if they wish to prolong their belief and mantra in trying to be as eco-friendly as possible. There is no law at Volvo that every car they produce should be all wheel drive - that feature has only come from Audi with their Quattro systems and more so from Japan with Subaru's Evo sport ranges whilst the rest of the Germans who have the funding to do so, continue to fill any sporty niche left - and are also able to sustain sales because of reputation. Certainly from a lot of younger members on here, there seems to a certain demand for Volvo to become like Audi, MB or BMW. Everyone wants Volvos to become like the Germans - and why - is it because of the perceived halo of quality, premium and potency of the drive train and overall product? God forbid that Volvo should be completely enveloped by Polestar!

      I'm not too sure whether an all-wheel drive range is important for Volvo, but rather have specific models that could cater for consumers such as practical wagons or SUV's - an all wheel drive coupe or large sedan is a bit of a waste of money when largely, fuel consumption and costs have to be factored in, which would be normally done if buying a wagon to carry large loads to SUV's having to cope with rough ground.



      I wouldn't therefore say that Volvo cars have steadily improved their quality though; certainly from the days of the 21 hours-to-produce the almost solid-state like Volvo 200s, quality in some of the cars I've had has been disappointing and the "good to drive" aspect is individual upon actual ownership; not gauged by popularity.

    9. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2012
      Location
      Evergreen, Colorado
      Posts
      624
      A good argument can be made to get rid of the S80. But I know two people who own S80s, and they love them. Maybe something could be done to make them more distinctive. And Volvo MUST have AWD! The XC90 must stay also. For a few years, the XC90 was Sweden's #1 export, and it was a home run in the US. I expect the new XC90 in 2014 will do extremely well too.
      2006 2.5T AWD XC90 / 1998 V70XC / 2002 V70

      "Your ignorance makes me ill and angry." ~David McCallum~ THE TWILIGHT ZONE, Episode: The Sixth Finger

    10. #10
      Member gascos80's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Location
      Encino, CA
      Posts
      7,197
      Quote Originally Posted by Tostik View Post
      A good argument can be made to get rid of the S80. But I know two people who own S80s, and they love them. Maybe something could be done to make them more distinctive. And Volvo MUST have AWD! The XC90 must stay also. For a few years, the XC90 was Sweden's #1 export, and it was a home run in the US. I expect the new XC90 in 2014 will do extremely well too.
      Now you know another one. I love my 08 S80 and I loved my 00 one. Great underrated jewel in the rough. Volvo needs a flagship sedan and the state of the art larger SUV.

      Sent from my SPH-L710
      2008 S80 3.2; 2005 XC90 V8 AWD; 2003 S60 2.4T

    11. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2012
      Location
      Evergreen, Colorado
      Posts
      624
      Quote Originally Posted by gascos80 View Post
      Now you know another one. I love my 08 S80 and I loved my 00 one. Great underrated jewel in the rough. Volvo needs a flagship sedan and the state of the art larger SUV.

      Sent from my SPH-L710
      Found this review on youtube after I made that post. I change my mind about the good argument that the S80 should go.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoPqxf208YI

      And the leather on the dash looked great! Tremble in fear BMW & Mercedes. If Volvo could just find a way to market it better.
      Last edited by Tostik; 12-27-2012 at 11:41 PM.
      2006 2.5T AWD XC90 / 1998 V70XC / 2002 V70

      "Your ignorance makes me ill and angry." ~David McCallum~ THE TWILIGHT ZONE, Episode: The Sixth Finger

    12. #12
      Junior Member bd5400's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2011
      Location
      Wisconsin
      Posts
      955
      ^^I just can't believe the named competitor they came up with was the Subaru Legacy...a car that starts at just over $20,000.

      Or maybe that's just the problem. No one can figure out where the S80 should fit in....

    13. #13
      Member gascos80's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Location
      Encino, CA
      Posts
      7,197
      Quote Originally Posted by bd5400 View Post
      ^^I just can't believe the named competitor they came up with was the Subaru Legacy...a car that starts at just over $20,000.

      Or maybe that's just the problem. No one can figure out where the S80 should fit in....
      Comparably equipped Legacy runs well over 30K.
      I got mine via OSD for about $37K...

      spin anyway you like...

      S80 is a jewel in the rough...so much of a car for a very reasonable price...

      The target fit was - 90% of Audi A6 for the 75% of its price...I would not say that I necessary agree with the approach, but I took advantage of it...and I will pay 10-15% more as the S80 will move closer to the A6...

      I am on a record to support moving the S80 up-market, both on merits and price....
      2008 S80 3.2; 2005 XC90 V8 AWD; 2003 S60 2.4T

    14. #14
      Global Moderator GrecianVolvo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2001
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      30,111
      Quote Originally Posted by fd_uk View Post

      I wouldn't therefore say that Volvo cars have steadily improved their quality though; certainly from the days of the 21 hours-to-produce the almost solid-state like Volvo 200s, quality in some of the cars I've had has been disappointing and the "good to drive" aspect is individual upon actual ownership; not gauged by popularity.
      Today's Volvos are the most reliable and built with the highest quality in the company's long history; you should certainly know that, if you were around Volvos in the '80s.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2013 Volvo C70, Black/off-Black Sovereign Leather[/b], Climate package/Premier Plus package/Dynamic package w/ 18" DRACO wheels

    15. #15
      My experience with the S80 might be of some relevance here. Almost five years ago, I test-drove a 2008 S80 3.2. To say I was underwhelmed would be a huge understatement. The car was grossly underpowered, the tranny shifted poorly and roughly, and the engine and transmission were clearly involved in a long-running dispute with each other. The car rode and handled poorly, and the interior was cheap, spartan, and embarrassing for a flagship model, reminding me of a cheap Asian import. This negative experience put me off the S80 entirely. I subsequently bought a 2008 S40 T5, which I felt was a much more honest and integral vehicle.

      Fast forward to two months ago, when I was given a 2012 S80 3.2 FWD as a loaner from my dealer. I was not looking forward to the experience, but gritted my teeth, figuring I could live with it for a few days while my XC70 was in the shop. Within a few minutes, my scowl turned into a huge smile. The S80 was one incredible drive. The engine and tranny problems had been sorted out, it drove like a dream, incorporating everything I loved about my 2010 V70 and 2012 XC70, and it was everything (well, almost everything) I would have wanted and expected in a flagship Volvo: subtle, understated elegance.

      My only dislikes were a couple of missing options: the standard stereo was a big comedown from the premium sound in my current vehicles, I sorely missed the factory nav, the standard headlights were not as great as the Xenons, and the standard cruise control was a PIA after having become used to ACC. None of these were flaws in the S80, mind you, simply a reflection of my preference for a fully-optioned vehicle. I will have to state that, after having steadfastly ignored the S80 for five years after my initial poor experience, I would definitely now put the S80 on my list of Volvo models to consider.

    16. #16
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2009
      Location
      Scotland UK
      Posts
      305
      Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      Today's Volvos are the most reliable and built with the highest quality in the company's long history; you should certainly know that, if you were around Volvos in the '80s.
      Sorry I speak from personal ownership. Bits of plastic cladding that came away in the interior of my brand new 2008 model year S60 D5 were certainly not expected, or the front seat runners creaking and moving, or boot release problems. Has been back to Volvo a few times and life is better, but it did take 5 attempts! However, my mk1 850 XC wagon was far better built and required no repairs other than minimal service charges. Our V50 was also poorly built.

    17. #17
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2012
      Location
      Evergreen, Colorado
      Posts
      624
      Quote Originally Posted by fd_uk View Post
      Sorry I speak from personal ownership. Bits of plastic cladding that came away in the interior of my brand new 2008 model year S60 D5 were certainly not expected, or the front seat runners creaking and moving, or boot release problems. Has been back to Volvo a few times and life is better, but it did take 5 attempts! However, my mk1 850 XC wagon was far better built and required no repairs other than minimal service charges. Our V50 was also poorly built.
      Everybody's experience is different. My 2006 AWD 2.5T XC90 with 83,000 miles has, so far, been as reliable as my 1994 850 was. My 1998 V70XC has had a few problems over the years, and it's been my 'most-repaired' Volvo, even though it's still in the realm of 'acceptable' by my reliability standards. And my daughter's base 2002 V70 has been has a fantastic car.
      Last edited by Tostik; 12-29-2012 at 03:25 PM.
      2006 2.5T AWD XC90 / 1998 V70XC / 2002 V70

      "Your ignorance makes me ill and angry." ~David McCallum~ THE TWILIGHT ZONE, Episode: The Sixth Finger

    18. #18
      Junior Member bd5400's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2011
      Location
      Wisconsin
      Posts
      955
      Quote Originally Posted by volvobuff View Post
      Fast forward to two months ago, when I was given a 2012 S80 3.2 FWD as a loaner from my dealer.
      I don't know if you can speak to this since it was just a loaner, but do you know if the center waterfall dash in the new S80s creaks when pushed? It's one of the things that drives me crazy about my 2008. It sounds so cheap if any lateral pressure is applied to the center stack (that and the hard as a rock upper dashboard).

    19. #19
      Global Moderator GrecianVolvo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2001
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      30,111
      Quote Originally Posted by fd_uk View Post
      Sorry I speak from personal ownership. Bits of plastic cladding that came away in the interior of my brand new 2008 model year S60 D5 were certainly not expected, or the front seat runners creaking and moving, or boot release problems. Has been back to Volvo a few times and life is better, but it did take 5 attempts! However, my mk1 850 XC wagon was far better built and required no repairs other than minimal service charges. Our V50 was also poorly built.
      Again, everyone can have difference experiences but I will maintain that today's latest model Volvos are the most reliable and best built, ever.

      Speaking of personal experiences, take a look at my signature and my personal car (MY01 V70 T5); one of the best cars I have ever owned, if not the best and the most reliable. I bought it brand new and have had it for almost 12 years.

      It has no electrical gremlins whatsoever, other than one occasion (bad driver's seat module, replaced at 10,000 miles). Front brakes were replace at just below 50,000 miles, front rotors a tad before 65,000 miles. First rear brake pads at 80,000 miles and rear rotors were first replaced at 121,000 miles.

      Shifts great, burns less than 1/4 of a quart of oil every 7,500 miles, just a great, fun wagon. I do not hear any rattles or squeaks, either...and it is almost 13 years old...
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2013 Volvo C70, Black/off-Black Sovereign Leather[/b], Climate package/Premier Plus package/Dynamic package w/ 18" DRACO wheels

    20. #20
      Quote Originally Posted by bd5400 View Post
      I don't know if you can speak to this since it was just a loaner, but do you know if the center waterfall dash in the new S80s creaks when pushed? It's one of the things that drives me crazy about my 2008. It sounds so cheap if any lateral pressure is applied to the center stack (that and the hard as a rock upper dashboard).
      I didn't notice any creaks or groans in the dash or anywhere else, for that matter. I only had the S80 loaner for a couple of days, but I would have been aware of any spurious noises, because such things drive me up the wall. In fact, I thought the interior was somewhat quieter at highway speeds than my XC70, probably due to larger and softer tires. On the other hand, I don't recall pushing on the waterfall for any reason, outside of pushing the infotainment control buttons frequently.

    21. #21
      Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2005
      Location
      Central Florida
      Posts
      2,096
      Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      Again, everyone can have difference experiences but I will maintain that today's latest model Volvos are the most reliable and best built, ever.

      Speaking of personal experiences, take a look at my signature and my personal car (MY01 V70 T5); one of the best cars I have ever owned, if not the best and the most reliable. I bought it brand new and have had it for almost 12 years.
      ???? Confusing....

      You are saying "today's latest model Volvos are the most reliable and best built, ever", but then your personal experience is to a 10+ year old model with no Sensus, adaptive cruise, city safety, swivelling headlights, not even an automatic transmission!

      ????

      And your other experiences are you constantly getting new company cars every so often. ????? No doubt, that less likely to develop a rattle or vibration.

      No offense, but I hardly think your experiences are really worth anything. But for that matter, I don't really think anybody's experiences are, when taken individually, not even mine. Not someone with a Volvo that's never had a single problem nor that person with a lemon'd Volvo. And besides, if anything really bad ever did happen to one of your Volvos, of all people, would you even admit it? We need to look at the global picture, and Volvo ranks just below average. BUT... with today's modern cars, IMO, that really isn't all that bad. I personally find it meaningless. Cars are cars and stuff breaks, it's that simple. Fortunately for all brands, a lot less stuff breaks now.

      I actually do completely agree with your statement "today's latest model Volvos are the most reliable and best built, ever". But then the same applies to all other cars too.

      BUT.... What about repair costs? This is where I think many modern cars are taking a step backwards. If the stereo broke in your '01 V70, look at all the options you have to replacing it, and in the process, you'd be getting a modern up to date stereo with more features then before!!!! More features than even a modern Volvo! Now imagine it's 2020+ and you own a 10+ year old S60 with Sensus, A4 with MMI, or 3 series with iDrive, and something breaks. Ouch.... No options. No doubt, very high repair cost. And most likely, one is chained to their dealership for the repair. And for whatever amount of money that repair costs, it's to basically get that same 10+ year old stereo!!! Modern cars are more and more becoming about software. But just like people want to be able to upgrade their phones to the latest iOs or android, car owners want the same, and yet, Volvo is already being "stingy" with Sensus updates making some owners leap through hurdles to try and get an update. I wouldn't be suprised if Audi, BMW, etc are doing the same thing.

      Should something break on your '01 V70, chances are any independent Volvo mechanic can fix it. Some for an old audi, bmw's, etc. But now, a modern version of those cars, what percentage of the car can be troubleshooted and fixed by that same independent Volvo mechanic?

      And let's not get started with transmission computers, adaptive cruise sensors, city safety sensors, keyless entry, etc, etc. Today's modern 35k+ premium sedans with custom integrated systems are a maintenance nightmare more now than ever before. Compared to your 10+ year old V70, I'll bet today's modern Volvo (and Audi, BMW, etc) have a ton of new add'l super expensive dealership only parts. Sure, I agree, they are the most reliable they've ever been, but if something does break once that warranty is up, good luck..... I just don't think I would want to own any current modern premium or wannabee premium sedan once that warranty runs out.

      The more integrated the car is with whatever infotainment system it's got, the bigger a headache that car is going to be if something ever breaks out of warranty.

      When car shopping, I just don't worry about reliablity anymore, that's what a good warranty is for. IMO, with today's cars, I think it's foolish for one to pick car A over car B because of what they perceive "might" be better reliability, ESPECIALLY if they are the types that are constantly getting into new cars before the warranties ever run out!!! It all depends on how long you plan on keeping a car and if one does plan on keeping it a long time, I think it's very important to then also consider what those service/repair costs could be once that warranty runs out. And for modern cars, IMO, especially the more expensive ones, these costs are going way way up.
      06 XC90 V8
      98 V70 T5M

    22. #22
      Quote Originally Posted by SwedeforSpeed View Post
      From the peanut gallery:

      From the FTFY Files: Volvo

      From the article:

      SUVs are practical for small parts of the market segment. Their short-lived market stardom was sheer trendiness, but now the only trend-setters driving them around are leftover soccer moms who can’t afford to trade in. Volvo: Ditch your XC line, and consider ditching all-wheel drive altogether.

      You’ll be left with quick, sensible front-wheel-drivers, and their sensible drivers will be better served by modern snow/ice tires when the weather turns truly intractable. All-wheel drive adds weight that defeats fuel economy and complexity that defeats the long-term cost-of-ownership advantages of a Volvo. Sensible drivers in sensible front-wheel-drivers simply don’t benefit from it.

      -snip-

      Next, bring the V40 to the United States.

      -snip-

      How’s ‘bout a single sedan that competes in the C/E range for those markets that favor sedans?
      I see this guy lives in Florida or California and is clearly nuts! Crossovers and awd are the future. I never want to sitting 5 inches off the pavement with my legs out in front of me again. And nothing beats the added safety of awd in bad weather.

      American's DON'T buy station wagans, even less so small station wagons.

      Merge C/E class into one? Why not one shoe for both men and woman, one shoe! It doesn't work because that's not what the market wants.

      Good thing this guy's only the car czar of his blog.

    23. #23
      Global Moderator GrecianVolvo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2001
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      30,111
      Pattyweb,

      Sorry to see that you do not think my opinion is not worth anything but it is and despite what you think (with the long documented constant disparaging of the brand) the truth is that today's cars are the most reliable.

      First of all, my experience with my car has absolutely nothing to do with the first point I made; I just added the experience of my personal car because it is an exceptional one and the V70 T5 has been, by far, the best car I have ever owned.

      Next point. I drive close to 30,000 miles per year and, yes, I do get 3 to 4 new cars per year. However, I have been driving new Volvos since 1997. Same cycle; each car for 6,000 to 10,000 miles. I see a BIG difference from the days of the 850s and 960s through the S70s, V70s (both FWD and AWD), through all the P2 cars and then up to today's cars. Today's Volvos (specifically from MY09 and newer) are THE most reliable.

      I have also been dealing with Volvo owners who have kept their cars anywhere from 3 years to 10 years or more. I am also privy (due to my job) to warranty claims and how much $$$ Volvo retailers use in that department. I have data that reaches into more than a decade and half ago.

      All figures point to the FACT that the latest warranty claims are at their lowest point...EVER. Therefore, please pause and take a deep breath before you write a long dissertation in trying to discredit someone's opinion, simply because it goes against everything you have been claiming n the past few years here on SS.

      Finally, I will agree with you on the last paragraph; due to the advanced technology, today's cars are way more expensive to repair and to have their parts replaced. No argument here. However, that proves my point since warranty $$ are at their lowest point; even with more expensive parts, the warranty revenue per retailer is down simply because the newer cars need very few repairs.
      Last edited by GrecianVolvo; 01-05-2013 at 02:57 PM.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2013 Volvo C70, Black/off-Black Sovereign Leather[/b], Climate package/Premier Plus package/Dynamic package w/ 18" DRACO wheels

    24. #24
      Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2005
      Location
      Central Florida
      Posts
      2,096
      GrecianVolvo,

      I said both yours, MINE, and everybody else's EXPERIENCES are not worth anything. I could have posted my own experience but I didn't because it's worthless by itself.

      I didn't disagree with anything you posted. Just that of all the experiences out there for the "latest" volvos, what you said in your first sentence, yours might be the most irrelevant. Like I said, I think all our personal experiences are irrelevant because ALL modern cars are just the most reliable that cars have ever been. The difference between the best and the worst is so much smaller today than it was a decade ago.

      I would bet warranty claims are at their lowest point ever for all brands! Well, maybe all claims for everything not related to whatever infotainment that brand offers.

      But stuff does break.... And to the key point in my post, just pray it happens under warranty, now more than ever before.
      06 XC90 V8
      98 V70 T5M