Short shift kits, which one is best?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Trying to decide between the Snaab in car kit, just the bushings, and the TWM Performance kit. Leaning towards TWM because it doesn't lower the shifter. Looking for opinions on which I should go for if you have experience with any. Any overt benefit to either kit?

Want: Crisper shift feel, shorter throws would be a bonus
      Don't Want: Ricey looking stumpy shifter
      2004 S60R MT - Sapphicama, Pictures, 285HP/307FT-LBS@wheels, IPD Track Spec Sways, Autotech Stage 1 Tune, R Kelly CAI, Autometer Cobalt Boost Gauge, GROM USB/iPod Audio Interface, Hawk HPS pads on slotted Brakeperformance.com rotors, HID fogs, IPD Strut Bar Conversion, UR Front and Rear Lower Braces, Power Folding Mirror Kit, IPD HD Coils, 18x8 Axis XMX wheels, Volvotech CFE extender, CNT Downpipe, EST Touring Exhaust

TWM doesn't lower the shift knob, but it does move the pattern backwards quite a bit...
      And the higher effort, well you'll probably get used to it eventually...

Full disclosure: I'm heavily biased; after installing a TWM, suffering with high effort and a re-located pattern for a few days, I sent it back to TWM and designed my own Short Shift Kit.

It's called a SNABB.
      Volvoracer
      *Designer of the SNABB M66 Short Shifter*
      '05 VR Red/Atacama/M66 (1 of 4 in US), many mods, 167k, Brembo, 6-speed
      '05 Ducati 800SuperSport Yellow, Brembo, 6-speed
      '67 1800S S.C.C.A. racecar under restoration

Love my twm short shifter
      2005 Volvo S60R MT Mystic Silver Metallic -Nordkap:Custom Tuned KW V2 Suspension
      IPD:|Poly Mounts-V70R Sways|OBX:|Catless DP|Custom:|Exhaust w/ Borla Xr-1-Carputer-FMIC|UR:|Chassis Braces|Snabb:|Intake|AEM:|Water/Methanol Progressive Kit 441cc nozzle|TIAL:|QR Recirc Valve|ARD:|11 Blade HYBRID Wheel|5-0:|750cc Injectors|Audi:|B6 S4 MAF|BUILD THREAD

Love my Snabb kit.

Well you guys aren't making it very easy! The SNABB requires modification of the existing setup, right? I seem to remember people talking about cutting things. Does the TWM require the same sort of modification? Also isn't there a way to "recenter" the TWM using the red button on the shift cables (or is that only one axis)?

I couldn't find any installation instructions for either online. I'd prefer one that is fairly easy to reverse if I hate it. Sounds like the TWM is based on volvoracer's account.
      2004 S60R MT - Sapphicama, Pictures, 285HP/307FT-LBS@wheels, IPD Track Spec Sways, Autotech Stage 1 Tune, R Kelly CAI, Autometer Cobalt Boost Gauge, GROM USB/iPod Audio Interface, Hawk HPS pads on slotted Brakeperformance.com rotors, HID fogs, IPD Strut Bar Conversion, UR Front and Rear Lower Braces, Power Folding Mirror Kit, IPD HD Coils, 18x8 Axis XMX wheels, Volvotech CFE extender, CNT Downpipe, EST Touring Exhaust

Twm requires no modification
      2005 Volvo S60R MT Mystic Silver Metallic -Nordkap:Custom Tuned KW V2 Suspension
      IPD:|Poly Mounts-V70R Sways|OBX:|Catless DP|Custom:|Exhaust w/ Borla Xr-1-Carputer-FMIC|UR:|Chassis Braces|Snabb:|Intake|AEM:|Water/Methanol Progressive Kit 441cc nozzle|TIAL:|QR Recirc Valve|ARD:|11 Blade HYBRID Wheel|5-0:|750cc Injectors|Audi:|B6 S4 MAF|BUILD THREAD

Snabb requires the use of a dremel tool to remove a little plastic rib that one of the shift cables will rub against with the new shaft.

The thing that sort of made me want to stay away from the twm is that I've heard it takes more force to get into each gear. I don't know if this is 100% true or not but that's just what I've heard from another member on here that installed both short shift kits.

I think you can't really go wrong either way, the Snabb lowers the shift knob (gets rid of the shaft space you can see at the base of the shift knob) so I opted for that one.

FYI: the "mod" required to install SNABB is removal of a plastic rib 1/4" high x 3" across on the shifter plastic base.
      I use a sharp chisel, it takes 5 minutes.
      You could do it with a Dremel or similar tool in less time.
      Volvoracer
      *Designer of the SNABB M66 Short Shifter*
      '05 VR Red/Atacama/M66 (1 of 4 in US), many mods, 167k, Brembo, 6-speed
      '05 Ducati 800SuperSport Yellow, Brembo, 6-speed
      '67 1800S S.C.C.A. racecar under restoration

I actually just installed my TWM kit today and did some driving around and loved it. It was weird at first because it did require a little more effort to get into gear, seeing how I didn't use any of the counterweights that were provided. I wanted the more sporty feeling anyways. I love the way the shifts feel now though. They feel much more firm than stock, which I really like.

I also will add that the install was super easy! It took me maybe 40 min. The majority of the time (probably 10 min) was trying to get the little plastic piece out of the bushing to put the new one in. Overall I would say that this is a great product due to ease of install and how well it works.

I also want to add the SNABB kit in the future because I have heard great things about it as well. Hopefully this helps your decision. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      05' S60 R- Passion Red- Atacama- MT- 130K- OBX Downpipe + TWM Short Throw + Eibach Lowering Springs (Totaled 11/12/13)
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...other-Fallen-R

04' S60 R-Black Sapphire- Nordkap- MT- 98K (Totaled 3/28/12)

Love my SNABB Short Shifter and I would say it maybe brings the height of the shifter down less than an inch.
      06 Ti Grey SR w/Sport Pkg, Manual, (IPD)>Stage II, AMS w/custom AEM Dry Flow, 3in DP, Track Sway Bars, HD Endlinks, Boost Gauge, Silicone Vac Lines, Upr Engine Mnt, HD Trans Mount. SNABB Intake & Short Shifter,IPD 3" Oval Exhaust, Phuz HD TCV, Viva HD CBV, Wg 7psi, Port Matched/Polished Intake Manifold, Victory Performance FMIC w/IMEC, Labonte Stg II H2O/Meth Injection. http://www.dragtimes.com/Volvo-S60-Timeslip-19306.html

TWM
      2004 S60R MT Titanium Gray w/ Gobi Interior | MONSTROUS Stage Bro 20PSI Tune by HiltonTuning | CXRACING: FMIC | AEM & DevilsOwn: Meth Injection Hybrid | ARD: 11 Blade | OBX: Downpipe| Catback: CUSTOM BUILT | Snabb: Intake Pipe | ViVA: UR Braces, CBV(FORGE), Shifter Bushings | TWM: M1 Abrams, Short Shifter | IPD: VR TS Sways, U/L Poly Mounts, Strut Bar Poly, Eibachs | H&R: 10mm/15mm | Swedish Boost Mafia | AMSOIL Authorized Dealer

I have the TWM Short Shifter, as it was the only option when I bought it, in fact I was one of the first to try the prototype on an 04. SNABB came later and I may have considered it if it was available.

The TWM Short Shifter was very easy to install (20 mins tops), and with the TWM Shift Knob, it lowers the shifter height substantially. For those that say that shifting gets firm, well, you get used to it and once you do you'l notice that it's a bit more precise. The TWM also shifts the pattern slightly off center, but it's not very noticeable and most won't even notice it on the spaceball. It's shifts it a bit lower and closer to the driver, which is actually beneficial for better shifting if you think about it.

Here's how mine sits

IMHO, both SNABB and TWM make excellent products, and you really can't go wrong with either one. Both products have very little cons. SNABB slightly edges out TWM, but is a bit more difficult to install (not much). SNABB shortens it from the shifter rod end, where as TWM tackles that on the transmission end. Both actually can work alongside each other (ask member: szumek), although shifting gets ultra super short and very very firm.
      Last edited by DevolvR; 01-04-2013 at 10:05 AM.
      04 S60 R | MT | Matte Frozen Grey | Nordkap ( mods & evolution & pictures )
      19x8.5 VMR V713 | RICA I | phuz DP | Quad Tip Exhaust | Eibach | Sport Kit | Lots of stuff...

I recently got a set of aluminum shifter bushings, I'm thinking that's an easy place to start. Maybe later I'll get a full kit. My biggest concern is expense currently.

Just as a follow up, I ended up going with the TWM from Viva and installed it yesterday. Those who said the most difficult part was getting the old plastic piece out of the cable bushing were right. Getting the new one in was even harder. I ended up having to lube it up to get it in. Overall, took about an hour working slowly to install.

Overall, shifting is so much crisper and faster. Jumping between gears requires much less time. No issues with orientation or alignment, and I got to keep my stock shifter height which is perfect.

I recently ordered the kit from TWM for my v70r and am currently having issues with the order missing the cable bushing and the pin threading into the base plate crooked.

I have reached out to TWM with no luck as of yet. So far I am not impressed, hopefully they will rectify the situation shortly.

Honestly, looking back and forward really I wish i got snabb because Kristian is close and told me he'd install for free with new bushings HAHAHA.
      2004 S60R MT Titanium Gray w/ Gobi Interior | MONSTROUS Stage Bro 20PSI Tune by HiltonTuning | CXRACING: FMIC | AEM & DevilsOwn: Meth Injection Hybrid | ARD: 11 Blade | OBX: Downpipe| Catback: CUSTOM BUILT | Snabb: Intake Pipe | ViVA: UR Braces, CBV(FORGE), Shifter Bushings | TWM: M1 Abrams, Short Shifter | IPD: VR TS Sways, U/L Poly Mounts, Strut Bar Poly, Eibachs | H&R: 10mm/15mm | Swedish Boost Mafia | AMSOIL Authorized Dealer

The TWM has been working great for me. I used two plates, which is a little firmer than stock, but still completely fine. I was surprised at how small it is compared to the stock version, which is a big cast metal lump in comparison.
      2004 S60R MT Silver/Gobi BUILT
      Photography

I have the TWM and I'm very pleased. I like to fiddle with the car and the ability to change the throw weight is nice. However I always go back to running all three weights.
      The shift pattern moved back but like devolver, I didn't notice and actually prefer it moved back closer to me.

Sent from my SGH-T849 using Tapatalk 2
      2005 V70R Passion Red : Evolve Springs : IPD Track Spec Sways : Ultra Racing Chassis Braces : IPD Rear Camber Bushing Kit : TWM Short Shifter : MOMO Shift Knob : IPD Downpipe : Snabb Intake Kit : Viva CBV : Resonator Delete : PU Rear Toe Link Bushing : PU Front LCA Bushing : IPD HD Coilpacks : AVIC-x950bh : Aftermarket Stealth Subwoofer : Viva Single Mass Fly / OE Clutch : Motor Replaced : Custom Digital Boost Gauge : RICA Stage II : Snabb FMIC :

Twm is great

Heard good things about the snabb one as well. Tho it requires a tad more work to install it, tho nothing crazy.

ALSO should you want to thread the snabb for a knob I would suggest doing so at a machine shop before you install it. Metal is insanely hard

Quote Originally Posted by CMOD_R View Post
      Twm is great

Heard good things about the snabb one as well. Tho it requires a tad more work to install it, tho nothing crazy.

ALSO should you want to thread the snabb for a knob I would suggest doing so at a machine shop before you install it. Metal is insanely hard
      Lets install soon.

Quote Originally Posted by BMac_R View Post
      Lets install soon.
      Ughhhh lol find a machinist 1st but I'm in

Quote Originally Posted by CMOD_R View Post
      I totally agree that you should thread the SNABB shift rod before installing it, but I don't think it's necessary to take it to a machinist to have it done. I threaded mine in a vice with a quality thread die and didn't have any problems (make sure you use some lube as a cutting fluid to make it easier; I just used standard 3-in-1 oil).

Jeff
      04 VR Ti/Atacama MT